Overdone it?

Comments

• Great 1500m time Tommy - suggests the 5k training is working well.

Have an updated Track Stats of the TTT - tab 3 - same time as Lou and only 16 secs off Bob's best time.

Cheers.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Oh cheers Skinny, had forgotten about the track times tab! I have been rounded up by 1 second to 5:03; no favours on the track. I also have a track 800m time of 2:26 when you're next updating. 

• SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    19:14 last night - 6:10, 6:20, 6:10 and 34 secs for the scraps mainly round the bouncy running track.

Very fast course (35 sub 20s out of 131 starters, won in 15:19) - if I get fit I reckon my 18:33 parkrun PB is doable in the 4th race in September.

Another easier target would be 18:53 for an 80% WAVA.

Good base camp time though - just realised that was actually my first ever 5k race - the others have all been 5k runs  ;)

It was so fast that someone set a world record! (see attached file).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, that's a great effort coming off a period of little running. As has been said before, you clearly have a high degree of natural ability so no reason with decent training next 3 months you cant crack that time.

I suddenly find myself very close to an 80% wava score now, which I think is a good target and standard.

Similarly, my 5k pb is 20.33 as I've only ever run one in 2013. Since then it's all been parkruns.

That's some going at 65! Or 35 to be fair.

My quads have been battered this week from sundays hills. I've bashed on with the miles minus the intensity in the main. 9m easy Tuesday, then yesterday I took out the captain of our town footy team so fit bloke as been playing semi pro at southern prem level for about 18 years now. He fancies his chances at sub 40 and wanted me to pace him. Went through 5k in 20.10 but I could see he was blowing and going backwards. In the end he just scraped under 42 mins.

So 10k for me at 6.44mm which in the lunchtime heat and humidity wasn't too bad a workout, probably just below mara effort. 5M easy today and planning my weekly long tomorrow as have a day out on the beers Saturday watching the Euros.

• Hope the hangover not to bad today for the England game DT.

4,2,7(incl 5k race),2,3, 0 (8 mile fell walk though) & 10 today before it got to hot. 28 miles running - just need to build gradually again from there.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Felt OK today, though not overly enjoyed the heat. 

Got out for 6m easy about 10am then closed all the blinds and had a day watching footy. 

Good stuff, Skinny. Onwards and upwards. 

So a few weeks of racing and recovery done. I start a fairly decent cycle from tomorrow of 6 weeks building to Bedford 20m race. Very much a stepping stone to London, though I'm less than convinced it'll happen. 
  • Hope the hangover not to bad today for the England game DT.

4,2,7(incl 5k race),2,3, 0 (8 mile fell walk though) & 10 today before it got to hot. 28 miles running - just need to build gradually again from there.
    too bad, too hot.

Too embarrassing.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    19:14 last night - 6:10, 6:20, 6:10 and 34 secs for the scraps mainly round the bouncy running track.

Very fast course (35 sub 20s out of 131 starters, won in 15:19) - if I get fit I reckon my 18:33 parkrun PB is doable in the 4th race in September.

Another easier target would be 18:53 for an 80% WAVA.

Good base camp time though - just realised that was actually my first ever 5k race - the others have all been 5k runs  ;)

It was so fast that someone set a world record! (see attached file).
    Brilliant Skinny, obliterated your own expectations. You've obviously retained a lot of fitness despite not running for a few weeks. I'd say with some more specific training you'll be close to sub 18:53 at the July race and then sub 18:33 in August. 

DT - decent recovery week. The uncertainty around autumn is already causing some races that I've eyed up to hold off opening entries and one has decided to postpone till next year already. I'm sure London will hang on as long as possible, 

About 30 miles for me last week including 4*1km off 90 seconds on Tuesday, felt pretty hard work n the heat but managed to complete the session so all good. 

I also had another race on Saturday; Marilyn's Meldon Madness, a 5ish mile fell race which takes in the highest point on Dartmoor. It was about 23-24 degrees when the race started at 2pm which was a bit on the warm side, especially with the vast majority of the 1200ft of elevation gain coming in the first 2 miles. 

The first mile or so was very uphill but on a rough track so was pretty runnable albeit fairly slowly. The majority of the second mile was over rough ground and a lot of elevation gain which reduced everybody to a walk / shuffle, a cool 15 minute for that for me. The third mile involved a traverse across a granite boulder 'path' before a pretty gnarly descent over hummocky grass with random bits of marsh and the odd rock to keep you on you alert, I managed to catch and overtake a couple of people over this section. The final couple of miles were on a rough track back down to the finish, I caught up with another couple with about a mile to go but I think I'd burnt too many matches in doing so and started to drop away from them as we began the steep descent. I was really quite hot by this point and lacked any real determination to stick with them. A quick glance over my shoulder to make sure I was clear before a fairly relaxed run in. Think I finished about 15th but results aren't out as yet. 

Lovely race and part of a larger series which I'm hoping to be able to do most of. I did feel pretty weak legged though, I've realised that I've been picking flat routes for most of my runs over the last 6 week or so as I've been following the Soar programme. Will have to get back on to the hills if I'm to fair any better.  
  • Well done Tommy - yes hill and cross country legs aren’t built on the roads. How long till your 5k?
  • What times did you do the 4*1k in?

Thinking I might do something similar tomorrow but will probably aim for 6:10mm as about current race pace rather than try and squeeze out desired race pace of 6mm. There's no hurry.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Cheers Skinny. The 5K is next Wednesday, it was supposed to be a mass start but will now be in waves so hopefully I'll be in a group of similar pace / target time. 

The 4*1K were coming out between 5:50-5:55 pace, which is probably a bit sharp for current fitness levels. 
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Tommy2D said:
    Cheers Skinny. The 5K is next Wednesday, it was supposed to be a mass start but will now be in waves so hopefully I'll be in a group of similar pace / target time. 
    Thanks Tommy - the last two races I've done were supposed to be rolling starts but have just been mass starts when they actually happened.

Covid numbers in Carlisle have been very low mind the last month although I notice this last week they have gone up from about 5 cases per 100,000 to 27 so we've joined the third wave (hopefully ripple).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, same here re covid rates. Been 5-10 per 100k since April but consistent with everywhere else, they've suddenly jumped this last week and on about 37 per 100k now.

I survived without much of a hangover, but still suffered with sunday just generally being so uncomfortably warm.

I've just moved my 2nd jab forward 4 weeks so have it next Monday.

Tommy, best of luck with the 5k. What are you shooting for? Sounds like a tough race!

I also did some 1k reps today, 8 of them off 60s. Didn't get out until 12.30 so was pretty hot so decided to try and take the edge off the effort. REPs came out 3.42, 3.38, 3.31, 3.36, 3.31, 3.38, 3.31 and 3.37 so I guess the average was about 3.36 so 5.48mm. I was pretty tired and thirsty and very hot by rep 7.

Decent work out banked though. 9M tomorrow in warmer weather then it looks to get back to something sensible.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT - I reckon I'm close to 5K PB shape, so will target sub 18:35. 8 *1k off 60 seconds sounds like a tough session, especially in the heat. I can't say I was hungry to do anymore reps after the 4 I'd done. 

Skinny - I found 4*1k off 90 seconds at 5K pace a pretty tough session and I'd built up to that over the last 6 weeks. Maybe 5 *3 mins / 5*800m (which would essentially be the same thing at 6 min/mile pace) with a slightly longer recovery might be a better reintroduction to speed work? 

The waved start should be fine, I think they set groups off on 5 second intervals or something so will be close to a mass start anyway.     
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That was a bit soft, just 8 reps and 1 minute standing still!! That'll be 10 reps next time with 1 min jog recovery. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    True! Although yours were at 10k/HM pace and I was at ~5k pace which is probably why I found it tough! 

Club run over the moors last night which included a couple of monster climbs, 1250 ft over 6.5 miles was plenty for a Tuesday evening.  A couple of the quick juniors came out with us, one of them struggled a bit on the biggest climb but then blew most of us old gits away with some low 5 action on the half mile downhill finish. 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Hi - thought I'd pop in as I have started to run again (a little bit).

As DT mentioned I saw him very briefly at Hilly looking incredibly sweaty (and just about to set off?).  It was a v hot day.  I didn't run but did captain the Ladies A team.  There was much controversy but we came 2nd by less than a minute across a 100 mile relay.  The controversy was in that the first place team decided to go off the 6 am start (other ladies teams started at 5, and then they also used the mass start at the leg 7 start which is intended for slow teams to ensure they don't finish too late).  So we had no idea where we were in relation to them - so not a race. 

I keep an eye on DT's glories from FB and Strava and incredibly impressed by the improvements after years of running. 

Sorry to hear Muddy a bit injured, am sure it will come back.  Huge congrats to Mace and also sure Skinny will be smashing it v soon. Waving to Pete and MrV as well. Good to see Tommy is still up and down hills on a regular basis. 

I've had a similar pandemic to Mace I guess - I mean in running terms, not becoming a grandparent although I AM in possession of a teenage boy now (who is both taller than me and infinitely harder work than his sisters I have to say).  I've stacked on 30lbs of weight and done very little running or any other exercise really and drinking too much, too regularly. Hence not running the Hilly.  However, have decided enough is enough and trying to get back to it.  Like Mace I am currently lumbering around a 10-11min mile, everything is hard work.  However, I do have a VLM place and while I have a vague plan to just have an enjoyable jog round with my mate am also conscious that it would be more fun if I was fitter.  

So I am casting off my Ricky Hatton tendencies. 11lbs down though so a third of the way there weight wise.  And trying to just focus on regaining some endurance and consistency without worrying about speed with the thought this will aid in the weight loss and build me up a base.  Managed a whole 25m last week which would previously have been a massively weedy week but feels like a huge achievement now!  This week have done a 7m and an 8m, both with friends which appears to be the key for motivation for me at the moment.  

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Hi McFlooze! Glad to learn that you are back on it and sure it won't be long until you are once more a force to be reckoned with.  I'm still in awe of your buggy-running.  Now I'm living near my grandkids, I spend a lot of time propelling a pushchair but find an hour of walking is tiring enough.  No chance of running!
  • Hi McFlooze - good luck with your new regime - 25 miles is pretty good particularly at 10-11 min miling coz it all takes so much blinking longer. It's the equivalent of over 32 miles at 8mm :-)
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    That's a very good point, Skinny!  And it's really hot, so all miles therefore count double.  

No more buggy running for me, Pete.  Our youngest is now nearly seven!!!  Lovely you're getting chance to spend more time with the grandkids.  Where are you based now?  

@LouDiamonds has pretty much given up running completely as he got bored and has decided to "get hench" instead (which he has in fairness).  But as we have both become wok smugglers as a result I might have to persuade him out running with me.  
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    I'm in Cardiff.  "Wok smuggling" :D:D
  • Haha McF - nice description - it seems that the Overdone It? thread has mainly lapsed into overeating and underexercising.

Hi Pete. A good week to be an honorary Welshmen.

I did my 5k session last night but modified it following Tommy's advice (but not sure if I made it easier or harder!).

So decided on 8 * 0.4mile at between 6:00 and 6:10 pace which worked out at 2:24 - 2:28 per 0.4mile. Off 60 secs recovery.

After about 0.25 mile of first rep I looked down at my watch to see 5:17 pace and realised I had totally screwed up the whole session but slowed to make it about a 5:41 paced first rep.

After 4th one I put in a 2 min recovery to try and get back on track so the whole session was actually 4*0.4 off 60secs, 2 min recovery, 4*0.4 off 60 secs for a total of 3.2 miles.

Times came out as 

2:16, 2:25,2:25,2:28, 2:26, 2:21,2:19, 2:26.

So not quite what I planned but still a good workout in the bag and paces were pretty good with 5 in the aimed for zone and 3 faster.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

McF, good to hear from you and see you popping back up on strava. Sad news about Lou….

Muddy, are you still reading, any update?

Skinny, decent session, will set you up well moving towards the next 5k.

What is 'wok smuggling'?

As Skinny mentions, I certainly had a great night Tuesday watching the footy and can relax for sundays game knowing that wales will at worst grab a 3rd place qualifier spot looking at how things are panning out.

Off out for my long run of 15m over lunch, saving time on Sunday as it's Fathers day.

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Think what you would look like if you put a wok up your jumper, DT (don't tell him I said he was wok smuggling!).  Have a nice long run.

Sounds like a good session to me, Skinny.  I am afraid of attempting to run fast right now (although I ran the half mile to school pretty fast in my sandals yesterday as was running late to pick up, not on Strava though so doesn't count).

I've got an off-road 12 miler planned tomorrow that I hope will feel quite pleasant now the rain has freshened things up a bit.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    With you, mcf. I meant to say, our club understood the rules to be that to be in for prizes you had to run the whole thing as a race,cstarting at set time etc so that does seem a bit strange. 

Yesterday's 15 was bizarrely comfortable. Ended up 7.27mm at 136 hr average which is a comfortable recovery run effort. Being wet and much cooler helped lots. 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    It's so nice when long runs feel comfortable, DT. Long way off that myself but the 12 miles felt a lot better for  few degrees cooler. Nice, largely off road route, bit nettly in places. 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Breaking news.
    I tripped and fell while out running on Friday p.m. and have fractured my hip. Had it pinned this morning and will see physio tomorrow to start rehab. Bollocks!  Most painful part was 300m stagger along canal towpath to road where wife picked me up in car. Struggle makes you stronger I suppose :)

• Oh Pete that sounds nasty - I'm amused at your 'breaking news' gag but what's the prognosis?

I ran 30 miles last week - 3,3.5,3,6,4, 10.5, 0 - the scheduling of the 5k session and the long run were too close together though - was getting a weird knee pain towards the end of my long run which hopefully was just some tight muscles from Thursday's effort and the rest day and a bit of stretching will sort. Find out on my 4 miler tonight I suppose.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    I saw physios this morning. I've already ditched zimmer for crutches and am on advanced exercises. Need to practise on stairs tomorrow then convince them that I am "stable and safe" so can go home. Not asked about running yet but compared to my last hospitalisation this feels like small beer.