Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I often used to eat a whole malt loaf for carbo loading, no butter though  ;)   And warmed in the microwave makes it less sticky to eat.   :)  Not a mini though, full size 😲
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I went out and did a hilly 10-miler today, mainly on trails.  As part of that, I probably did 2-3 miles of trails that I've not been on before, linking up other routes that I run regularly, which was nice.  I've seen the routes before but never been on them as they go through working farmland with buildings, farmers, cows, sheep, gates to open/close etc, but it was a nice run out.  I saw a farmer out herding the sheep a bit in the distance and I gave him a wave and he waved back.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I am a malt loaf fan,having one now actually.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I haven't eaten malt loaf for a long time, used to take them to work as so convenient when carbo loading.

Big G - it's good fun to find new routes or bits to add on to regular routes.   Can be quite a lonely job being a farmer.

Surprised to hear that Farah didn't make the qualifying time in the event they staged for him.   He must be gutted, I suppose he'll retire now and just do celebrity stuff for the money 🤢   Would be good to see him represent UK in the marathon, say at Commonwealth Games next year.

Legs are almost recovered from this week's trashing at the gym so better run today, 6 easy undulating miles.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did my regular 7-mile rote this morning, but depressingly slow on my tester flat mile in the middle of it at MAF.  A couple of months ago I did a 7:48 along there but today was 8:44.  I do have quite bad hay fever which is possibly causing some of this, but not all of it, so hopefully I'll get back up to some decent pace in the coming weeks.

TdF starting today and I'm really looking forward to it :D 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you'll soon get your pace back now you are training again and hay fever has passed.

I've already set up to record highlights of TdeF and women's event too.   I think next year there will be a women's TdeF.   :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - how did you get on with the physio?  Any ideas what's causing the niggles?

Ian - good luck to both of you tomorrow at MK  😊😊😊
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Good luck to you and especially your OH on her long awaited debut!

Western states 100 is on today with a pretty good livestream on YouTube. 

15 miles for me. Was way too fast especially as it was a relatively hilly route around Richmond park. Was just too lovely a day and I don’t have any goal races any time soon so thought I’d just have a laugh. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Got here fine yesterday afternoon,went for a meal last night and settled in the hotel fine.
    OH turned from excited to a nervous wreck last night,I managed to calm her down,tell her how well she's trained etc and she seems OK this morning.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - sounds like you had a great run, no doubt about your fitness.  :)

When is your next race?

Ian - after waiting years to get to the start line I'm not surprised OH had a wobble.   She will do great, she has trained so well.   Hope you both have a good day.

Big G - watched the TdeF highlights last night, so good to be watching the race again. but those two crashes were horrific, especially the first one caused by idiot spectator.    Haven't watched the women's' race highlights yet.

Rest day for me today.   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I think you'd have started already, but good luck to you both.

Shades, yes, a crazy start to TdF.  Seeing riders strewn all over the road like that was unbelievable.  Did you see the second crash, where there was a lady with a pram that was just missed by flying bikes and riders, but a spectator with a bike got taken out?  One rider looked like he just missed a telegraph pole.  From a racing point of view, the finish was great though - very well done to Alaphilippe riding away like that.  He seemed overwhelmed, shaking his head in disbelief.  At first I thought he was shaking his head because he'd popped with 1K to go but no, he went on for a great win.  He'll be all over the newspapers in France - they're desperate for a French winner.  If a Brit doesn't win, he'd be a worthy winner in my eyes, but can he win it maintaining his exciting racing approach?  I don't know but I don't think so, but I guess we'll see.  But World Champ, winner of the 1st stage and will possibly yellow Yellow into the TT.  You couldn't write that, from a French perspective.  A great rider, and what a lineup at the race this year.  Interesting that Roglic sat up and refused to ride with Pogacar, sacrificing his own chances for the win (or at least was happy to lose more time than necessary), but didn't want to tow Pogacar around again.  Presumably that means Roglic doesn't see Alaphilippe as a threat to GC, when the race gets into the mountains?  Anyway, what a great opener.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully they didn't show multiple replays of the 2nd crash so I didn't see that much in detail.   Hope there are no DNS's today as a result of yesterday's crashes.  Froome went down and looked in pain so hope he's OK today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey all. 
    Not been watching TDF but that sounds like absolute carnage. Yikes.
    Well done, Rcouture - I hope to get back to the point when I can have a laugh doing 15 miles again! 
    Shades - very very tight quads. He gave me some horrible exercises which I did in the gym on Friday and have had DOMS since! 
    I did a ploddy 4 mile recovery yesterday (which I actually enjoyed, but I ran between 11 and 12 rather than 12 and 13, like midweek) but today I was determined to get a half under my belt. I plotted out a route that included a few new bits and stuck to it, for the mostpart. One of the new trails I found was nice and I will use it again. 
    It was rather humid, though, even though there was a cooling breeze at times, so I was glad I took water.
    It became a bit of a slog after 8 miles but I toughed it out and got the 13 (and a bit) done, albeit at plodding donkey pace. Now I just have to work on getting my mile splits down by at least two minutes per mile...but I've got 8 weeks to improve. If the Harry Hawkes race had taken place when it was supposed to, I'd only have three weeks left, so it's definitely a good thing for me that it has been bumped to September.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - ouch to the DOMS in your quads, that has to be the most painful of muscles to get DOMS.

Well done for slogging out the 13+ miles today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Well I had an absolute shocker today,my worst time in 4 years 3:49:30.Just watching for OH and will post a report later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian -we all have those races at times.  Well done for slogging it out.   Hope OH is having a better race.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Ian.  I was tracking you and 3 club mates at the race as I was on Zwift, but sorry to read you had a run out today.

Cal, well done for getting out there today.

I did about 2.5hrs on Zwift today and did enjoy it.  Just at an easy effort and I had the music on, so the time passed quite quickly.  Not a great day in terms of the weather here, so I'm settling down to watch stage 2 of TdF, which is just about to start.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Don't really know what happened today,not felt great the last few days but felt fine this morning,set off OK,got to 13.1 in 1:43 but felt like hard work,after 20 I completely shut down,it felt like I couldn't lift my feet and thought I was going to fall,it then became a run/wall to 23 where it basically became a walk back,feel OK now so just need to put it behind me and start training again.My position show the story from 6m to 19m I was between 246 and 235 and ended 315.
    OH done amazing,4:17 for her first,we set her 4:15 and she would have got it but went off too fast,just had a post race review and she was on sub 4 pace until 16,she said I felt good though,which is exactly what I told her would happen  ;) overall though I'm so proud of her and she seems happy now we are back in the room.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It may have been the humidity, Ian...I did not feel very good on my run either (not ill, just sluggish and my HR was quite high for the pace). Very well done to your OH though...that's a cracking time for her first. I totally died after mile 16 in my first marathon...it got a bit better with each one though. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - great debut by your OH, I hope she's very proud of her first marathon.

Sounds like a combination of not being 100% plus the high humidity that affected you today.   Cal's right, it is very humid today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes she is,she was disappointed last night aa she had to walk some towards the end,but seemed happier when I showed her she finished in the top half for females,seems a lot better about it this morning.She is at the not doing it again stage so we will see how that alters the next few days.
    1 thing I forgot to mention is I think the course was short,it was measured and it was very twisty and lots of under bridges and tree cover so could measure wrong,but most kms measured about right until mile 14 when suddenly it measured 300m short and then went back to measuring right,will see if anything comes from it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    8 miles this morning, lots of dithering about what to wear as torrential rain which started about 4 a.m.  Eventually I decided on a very light jacket which was a good choice as I hadn't reproofed it so it got wet quickly which kept me cool but gave me enough protection from the rain.  Lots of flooding.   Had a lovely run, most enjoyable, no wildlife except a weasel that ran across the road in front of me.   Too much rain even for the seagulls, I ran down by the park and the seagull ignored me.  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Ian - well I hope she understands now the walk part of ultras/DD etc.    If she's disappointed that she had to walk, we all know that thought will lead to "next time..."

Difficult with a twisty course and bridges/underpasses as some GPS watches will jump and measure long or short.   I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Are you both feeling OK today?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I was expecting weird readings as I seen after the half it was twisty,but this 1 mile in particular seemed really short and looking at strava,everyone seems to have measured at least 400m short.
    Yes I fully agree,I'm not mentioning it and letting her decide herself but I think she'll be at Manchester in October.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it's good your OH is pleased with her first marathon.  I reckon she'll do another one, too :)  

Shades, I won't give any spoilers incase you're not up to date, but yesterday's TdF stage was fantastic, and I've seen a couple of pundits saying it's the best opening weekend of the race they've witnessed.  You did better than me this morning - I saw the weather and though "Sod that, I'm going on the bike", and that's what I did.  About 2hr15min on there today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I had a very quick look at MK FB page and lots of compliments about how the race was organised and complaints that there was no t-shirt.   No mention of possibility of a short course, but many will not want to acknowledge that as that will mean that they weren't as good as they thought they were.   ;)

Big G - I did watch the highlights last night and you're right it was amazing, I was shouting at the telly for the last km as so wanted him to win the stage.    They did show a replay of the 2nd crash on the first stage and that woman jumping in the hedge to protect her child.    They also said that TdeF organisers looking for the female spectator that caused the first crash as they intend to sue her.

When I was out this morning for my run, I did think that it would be unlikely that you would venture out today, it wasn't that bad at all, it's much worse looking out the window at it.

That Nike mantra is never far from my mind 'You either ran today, or you didn't'. 

It's not like you're training for any specific event right now anyway.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Shades, MvdP is amazing.  Although it's his first Tour, he's probably the star of cycling (alongside Allaphilippe and van Aert, and of course Roglic and Pogacar - to have then all at Tour is great).  How he had the mental and physical capacity to know that if he wanted Yellow he had to get up the first hill first to claim the bonus seconds, recover, and then go up again to win it was just amazing.   There is talk MvdP may not finish the race though as he is off to the Olympics, in the mountain bike competition I believe.  Have a look at this from 2 years ago if you get the chance, which I think many pundits say is the best finish ever.

https://youtu.be/LKscR_CwE04

He and a few others occasionally release their power data from events and it's eye watering.   This is from a race earlier this year....
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/analysis-mathieu-van-der-poels-1300-watt-strade-bianche-winning-power-data/

"Van der Poel saw his peak power for the day, reaching 1,362 watts, continuing to put out 1,105 watts for 15 seconds, before averaging 556 watts for the remaining one minute and 23 seconds of the climb".  This is at the of a hard day of racing, where he averaged over 300W for the day!  To put it into context, I did 2hrs15mins today averaging, 190W and my max was 445W today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I thought the organisation was great,marshalls were brilliant,plenty of bits in the goodie bag,but no tshirt.They say because of covid it creates a bottleneck,but they could say you order a size and no changing and pick up from a small,medium,large etc stand,personally I think races are doing it to save some money,no issues if that's right after last year but don't hide behind covid.We ordered one in advance for OH as I really wanted her to have one,and I bought a few online bits so she had some memories,I've also kept her number as a surprise and getting a frame for it with a nice picture for the wall.
    I am feeling fine today,just the left leg is tender,OH is not so good,walking round like a cowboy,and watching her go upstairs is fun.
    Overall we had a great weekend,despite the result,lovely hotel and race,she is now talking about what she could have done better so looking like another,we discovered last night she barely drank water,she had a bladder but couldn't open it properly and didn't stop at the aid station so hardly drank much out the cups so definitely lots to improve on.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a great video of MvdP, so impressive.   Yes, they mentioned in the final chat about how he had brilliantly calculated the only way he'd get the yellow jersey by strategically gaining the points.

Ian - on FB the organisers did say t-shirts will be back next year.   Maybe they didn't want to pay out a lot of money if there was a possibility the event would be cancelled.

Some runners don't want t-shirts, I like a nice shirt but I have to chuck out most of them as they don't fit so are useless to me.  Pointless waste for me, I'd rather have option of with or without t-shirt.

That's a lovely memento having her number framed plus photo etc.

Fortunate it wasn't too hot then re the fluid situation.   It's wasted effort really carrying a bladder when there are plenty of drink stations, especially now you know she doesn't need lots of fluids.