Comrades 2022

Comments

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    lowrez, I agree I think going to 13 would be too big for me, but my toes were suffering on the downhills on SDW50 in my 11.5s, so I was thinking of going up to 12s. I'm keen to try the new Inov8 Trailfly Ultra G300, as I think I could do with the extra cushioning and heel to toe drop for the Ridgeway 86. The G270's that I tried on today were a possible fallback, but Run & Become only had 13s, and I'm not sure I want a zero drop shoe for a very long race. Might end up sticking with my old G260s for the Serpent Trail and then seeing what's in stock after that. Glad I'm happy with my watch at the moment or the finances would be getting stretched.
  • lowrez: CONGRATS for being in the top 10 Amabeadibeadi Charities fundraisers this year!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Debra 😃 since the media release I have sneaked into 7th place. There are some well connected big hitters at the top of that list!
    Can't find a size 12 anywhere Stan 😭
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Thank you for looking 1owrez, and congratulations on being 7th in the Top 10 fundraisers. Without Comrades this year I'm sure the charities need the help more than ever.
    Currently looking for a replacement autumn marathon now as Abingdon have had to cancel due to lack of entries. With so many other races have moved to October I guess they've been squeezed out, but surprising for a fairly small race that used to sell out quickly pre-Covid. Anyone done Yorkshire?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stan, I think I stumbled in my calculations; seeing I was 3rd up from 10th place my brain said 7th, but, of course that is 8th! I think it's the same blunder you naturally make when asked "If you are in a race, and you overtake the person in second place, what place are you now in?"

I could end up in 4th though; I have put in an application at work for "double match funding", sounds like "Blankety Blank" ha ha - I am showing my age now... fingers crossed it gets approved.
  • Great work Lowrez! Your efforts toward this charity are on par with Debra's efforts in the running boots - tremendous, .........and most generous and thoughtful.

Baldstan, wow surprised Abingdon cancelled that normally attracts some fast finishers too, pretty sure it was a Masters event back in 2019 too. When you say Yorkshire, would that be York? If so I have heard very good reports and of course it is a beautiful city too!
  • I did York marathon in 2017. Good course and well organised. Cheeky little hill at the end but not that much and if I remember right its then downhill into the finish. And definitely a lovely city to spend the weekend in.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark and SS. Yes it's the one starting and finishing at the University of York, running out to Stamford Bridge (England 1 v 0 Norway, 1066) and back. It's now rebranded the Asda Foundation Yorkshire Marathon. My eldest is hoping to start at Leeds Arts Uni this September so it could also be a good chance to drop in and see him (and take him some winter clothes). And I think Yorkshire is the Masters championship this year so there may be a few other vets from down south there. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I was going to say that must be the York Ultra Stan, but then I checked and there are several :D It is crying out for a race director to pitch it though!

Thanks Mark; in 2017 I in theory won the Race4Charity, but it wasn't recognised as the double up contribution can take months to be considered and authorised with the board only sitting every quarter. By the time the match was deposited the gala evening had been done and top charity accolade awarded. Never mind though, I'm just after a green number really :)

• Stamford Bridge to Stamford Bridge - I do like that, awfully hills over the tops though, either past the house in the middle of the motorway by Saddleworth Moor or Snake Pass, could be an interesting route that’s for sure! Wasn’t Saddleworth where Myra and and her boyfriend buried the children? 

Photograph must be the most formal I’ve seen of you, very dapper! Very impressive. I starved for 24hrs when I was 15 for World Vision, if was for the famine in Ethiopia. Still have the certificate somewhere at my folks I guess. 

How many comrades have you done? 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A few seconds later I had me kit off (or is that on) :D

That's the National Director of World Vision South Africa on my right. I actually blew the bloody doors off the scheme; that's the equivalent of 5,000 USD, max match on the cheque. I had 41,800 ZAR collected in addition to that and top dog on R4C was 73k ZAR that year.

Well done on the starvation campaign. I remember going into the Bradford and Bingley building society and making a donation that year :)

I've run 5 and completed 4, not sure the old bones will support me that far again! But I'll give it a go.

Did you complete the last year it ran? You are quite zippy aren't you? Did I see a reference to a silver medal somewhere? I can't remember my fastest completion; they are all 11:5x :D 
  • Very well done indeed. What do you do for work, kit on, kit off, costume on, suit on? :D

Bradford & Bingley, are they still on the go, or did they merge with Abbey National as it was back in the day?
    Do you know John Sneddon? I follow him, nice guy, always comments back, he has done 27 and all consecutive, he seems to do 2 Oceans quite most years too.
    I'd certainly like to get the back2back medal, I guess if you then return for a 3rd it quite easily becomes, 4, 5, 6 and before you know it a lot of time and money to get green.
    Yes, I did run it 2019, think was one of first in the medical tent too, haha, great service in there. Before I had vaccine I would have been ready for a Comrades this year and hopefully securing a silver, have it told that can save 45 mins on the down, although whereas last Comrades I was on the running track the next day, down I feel is not so friendly for a few days. Have to say with Comrades, in fact with any run / race sometime I feel more enjoyed longer it takes, might not feel it, but certainly absorb more of the atmosphere!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I just drive a desk, in that suit. Very good of them to put up with my quick change antics; I wanted to get the Comrades identity in there somewhere.
    Everything has been consumed by Santander or gone out of business I think.
    Make sure you enjoy these years where you are so easily capable :) you obviously know they won't last forever. Amazing that you can launch a challenge on Comrades and consider options on how to achieve a good result. My attempts to date have been based on nursing myself sufficiently to stay in one piece to get over the line.
    I am electronically friends with John, great bloke as you say.
    I have an incredible back2back story which I won't bore everyone with again :D. I was definitely going to leave it at that, but the world simply doesn't contain anything like Comrades anywhere else.
    Hope you can achieve your goals next time it runs :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Folks, Its The Captain here, of a K2B team, do you fancy running 40 miles through The Lake District, on mostly road...

Ton of information on the website: https://keswick2barrow.co.uk/

If you would like to join the team just let me know (you can't enter this as an individual). Here are some details of what I am on about...

It's on Saturday 18th September.
    Its quoted as 40 miles but my Garmin said 37.5 last time.
    Rolling start from Keswick from between 05:15 and 06:30 - simply turn up and  follow instructions from marshals.
    Your start and checkpoint and finish times are recorded using a timing tag on a lanyard best popped around your neck.
    This is really a "walk"; there are no running numbers to pin on, your lanyard is your identity, of course many mad buggers do run this
    At every checkpoint there will be citric cordial drink or water.
    A roadside café at Coniston village will serve free hot food and sandwiches.

Registration costs £20. This is a charity event and by entering (and therefore accepting the T&C) you also commit to collect at least £80 for charities (I look upon this as a £100 entry fee and simply donate £80 on my personal charity page - everyone gets one).
    As team captain I have already declared (in consensus with current team members because we had to crack on and register to get a shot at running this) where our collected money goes. Our charities are:-
    Headway South Cumbria
    A branch of Headway covering South Cumbria. Working to improve life after brain injury by providing information, support, events, activities and opportunities locally. The aim is to work together with people affected by an acquired brain injury so they can move forward and make progress. We currently support over 80 people who live between Barrow and Shap. Many are unable to drive because of their injuries, and few currently are able to return to work. As a small group we seek help and support from the community.
    Furness Group Riding for the Disabled
    Providing horse-riding opportunities to disabled children in the Furness area. Based at Seaview Riding School on Walney Island, Barrow-in-Furness offering riding to 18 children each Wednesday morning from 2 special schools and 4 mainstream schools during school term time (24 sessions per annum). Also offering riding to an additional 18 children on a Thursday evening when they come along with their parents/guardians. Also taking 5 riders from either George Hastwell or Sandside Special Schools each year to the Clwyd Special Riding Centre in Northern Wales for a 5 day holiday.
    Cumbria Wildlife Trust
    Recognised for conservation work which has safeguarded 44 spectacular nature reserves in the county and restored hundreds of sites of different habitats, often in partnership with others. Passionate about sharing our knowledge and skills with young people and inspiring them to be the future of conservation. We were established in 1962 and have a long, successful, conservation track record.

Many other practicalities to consider but I will leave it at that for now. Ask anything you like and your captain will answer :D
  • Hey Lowrez!
    is it via road or trail? 
    Enter as a team but run it all or relay?
    how many on team?
    I’m keen, should be running border of Norfolk that day but it’ll be my 6th time and I much prefer Lakes! 
    👍 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Mark,
    It's all Lake District tarmac B roads apart from a couple of trail/footpath pieces mere 100s of yards long.
    Everyone runs (or indeed walks it all) - teams of up to 12, minimum of 4 in a team. Absolutely no need to run together, but no rules that say you can't either. A lot of scouts and families and friends and such do this as groups all together (see the banner pictures on the website). I have to admit I would hate running this "with" anyone (so no one please ask that of me - ha ha - the captain's only personal rule). If a team has a full complement of 12, it will be up for some recognition if all the team get to the finish on average ahead of every other. Not sure of the alchemy, but I wasn't expecting to get 12 and end up competing - even if we did I wouldn't put any pressure on - remember I am Mr 11.5x and will no doubt be last team person home. Last time this was staged I clocked around 7.5 hours I think, for which I was very pleased.

• I’m keen. How many on team so far? 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

The start will be a little lower and flatter this year; in 2019 a tree from a hurricane in previous years blocked the traditional start, the alternate start point was a higher elevation.

Current team is in flux, recruited some weeks ago, I am seeking confirmations -  potentially 6.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Update from a friend in Durban...

"We are all on high alert with SA infections reaching record highs. With us being placed on Level 4 of the lockdown, we are working a few days from home. Our office is situated on Florida road, in the suburb of Morningside – the street is home to many trendy, well supported restaurants. It is now deserted; the sale of alcohol has been banned, so many restaurants have closed their doors. The hospitality industry is really suffering. Schools have also commenced the Winter holidays a week earlier. Really sad times."

Look at how long the UK took to climb down from that level of infection...

Plus, I'd argue, whilst nowhere near perfect, the UK has been more effective at bringing it under control, so it'll probably take them longer...
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Tragic. From what I've read the vaccine programme has been appallingly mishandled by the South African government: a million doses of Astra Zeneca thrown away on the orders of the Minister of Health, Novavax available from Covax but not licensed, J&J actually making 300 million doses of their vaccine in South Africa, but only 500,000 being used in a local trial as the government hasn't licensed that one either.
    I'm afraid I can't join you on the K2B 1owrez, but happy to help someone who would like to do it with a donation to those charities. Waiting to see the physio about my heel problems so off running at the moment and had to miss the Serpent Trail on Saturday. I fear I may have Haglund's Deformity (which sounds like something Igor suffered from), but hoping it's not that serious.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, highly unlikely I can join you for K2B as I’m meant to be departing to China next week, although I’ll only feel 100% sure when I board the plane for the second leg of the trip! If I get contact traced or flight cancelled it could all be off and then I’d do K2B! I’ll happily make donation 

Baldstan, I’ll be interested to hear how you get on regarding your heel problems, I have been having heel issues in both feet for over 4 years now and am fairly sure it is Haglaunds deformity. Im about to have 3 weeks complete break from running (aka quarantine in a hotel room) and hoping the rest will do some good… I understand it is something you can’t cure (except surgery) but have to learn to manage, be interested in any hints/tips/exercises you get!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies McH and Stan - hope your heels settle.

Good luck in China McH - I get the impression they have the situation under an incredible level of control - possibly the safest place you could be going.

SA announced the objective to jab everyone by year end. I'm not sure they will achieve that. I wonder if the EU had not kicked off regarding Oxford everyone would be in a far better place.
  • Mc Hilly - good luck with the quarantine and move back to China. That's been a long 18 months and journey for everyone since you were there last!!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Good luck McHilly with your flights and quarantine. I'll let you know what the physio says. Hopefully there are exercises and changes to my training that I can make. I might even have to consider getting a bike, though that really would be a last resort.
  • Stan, Mc Hilly, good luck with your heel problems.
    Mc Hilly: good luck with your travels and I hope all goes well for you in China.
  • Lowrez, the one and only Mr Roger Cornish!

special mention in newsletter 👏 👏 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    :blush:  Community Chest were trying to get me punted into 4th :) I have unofficial confirmation that we can multiply my total by 3, but it won't enter their coffers until the board signs at the next quarterly meet in September. All good though :)
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    First in person race in forever.  Peachtree 10k.  Usually the worlds largest 10k with 70 000 runners.  This year they split it into 2 days as part off their anti-COVID measure.  They also had proof of vaccination required for number pickup - if no proof, then the runner was screened by a covid sniffing dog (no kidding) and they did that at the race too for those doing race day pickup.   Self service water stations.    Fun to be back with others racing.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good to see you on the road again Dannirr :) That bloke over your shoulder is so envious of you cruising along nonchalantly whilst despite all his endeavours he can't catch you :D You are looking very toned! Have you been putting some miles in?

I have an in-person race coming up weekend after next. Given the controversy at my last live appearance I am thinking of going in disguise again. The centurion will be an easy re-appearance, but I am secretly working on a new persona. Oh, did I say secretly? Oops! :D ...

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    PS the world's largest 10k is usually the Vancouver Sun Run :D