Sub 3

Comments

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - cheers. I'll do a bit more digging. I do want to start doing some kind of racing again as for the first time in 3 years I feel like I'm getting the fibro fully under control (combination of change in meds, change in diet, and working with my body rather than trying to bend it to my will, lol). Enjoy the Indian, and good plan for tomorrow ;)

MLR is up another mile to 11m now. 8m easing from a very easy to easy effort before 3m 'hard' on a lightly rolling section (6:17).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. nice MLR, & well done on the weight loss.
    TR.. hope the curry is top notch, sounds like you need something not too hot or spicy!  Enjoy the grub and no doubt a beer or three to wash it down.
    SJ.. I'm out for some nosh tonight but should be back for the Mo time trial.

5.2m done today, 12 degrees & windy so felt more like October.  Planning a longer run either tomorrow or Sunday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - keep going, you are managing things well. Being a bit more conservative is working.

Wardi - i played it safe with a Karahi, not had that before, nice but a bit tame. Had a few too many frothies after it.

4m, 6m, 4m with the 6m approx mp, except the mp came out a bit too quick. Hammy was ok-ish, the hip on the otherside was more of an issue. But i managed to run quicker than i need to next week.

Had some race info through, theres only 80 entered into the mara, wont be many wind breaks on offer, but social distancing shouldn't be much of a problem.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Congrats TR, sounds like a successful last MP session.  Hopefully the hip/leg grumbles will settle down in the next week.  The Korahi (as my local spells it!) Is a very tasty dish though I usually order it 'spiced up a bit' which my takeaway is always happy to do.
    Around 15-18 degrees this morning which is probably my favourite running conditions.  Legs were a bit tired but talked myself into an extra lap to bring up 16.4m similar to last week.
    Wedding anniversary imminent so a glass of bubbly later followed by Indian grub and a beer or two.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Anniversary congrats Wardi. Nicely done on the long run. 

TR - cheers. The more I can feel it working the easier it is to stay restrained. Sounds good on the MP. Niggles a week out are standard; don't worry. 80! Small race!

6 x 1' fast/1' jog earlier (3m either side). Averaged 5:06/m for the fast and pleased with how that felt so definitely getting stronger. Funnily that made 63.4m for the week, bubka-ing last week's 63.2 and maintaining a (very) slight upward trend. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- was warm here, so good warm weather prep. Karahi at this place, was nice, I'll try a hot version sometime. Tight itb is the hip niggle.

TT - well done today. No doubt a bit of consistent progress fuels the intent to hold back.

Funny old game, i wasnt really up for todays run after reading i was in an 80 person marathon next week, the socially distanced maras are tough, and basically a solo TT. But its more about the opportunity to bag a time, i just need to entertain myself for 11 laps again.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TT - nice progression and consistency with the mileage. Good to hear the faster stuff feeling comfy. Good signs and sounds like you are really enjoying your running again. 

Wardi - hope the Indian was good and congrats on the wedding anniversary. Nicely done with the extra lap making up the long run to 16+.

TR - good to see the numbers a bit quicker for the 6 in the middle of your last mlr. Understandably difficult to get excited about a tiny field and laps. Hopefully London happens for all our sanity. 

Another 20 ticked off this end in 2.32. Forst 10 easy peasy, 2nd 10 MP + 10%, there or thereabouts. I wasn't really paying too much attention if truth be known but naturally picked it up over second half. Felt pretty good actually. No noticeable rumblings from left ankle. I'm sure it will ache later on. 74.5 for the week. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A Cotswold Way Relay recce for me yesterday, so 12 hilly miles as gently as possible.  Let's hope it means I don't get lost next week!  I'm definitely not very hill fit at the moment: that most recent ankle sprain came just when I'd planned to squeeze in a block of long, steady hills to toughen the legs up.  And then 19.5 today with a speedier clubmate, who I just about pegged back to 7.45m/m.  62 for the week.

Big miles, SJ.  Glad the ankle seems ok.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one SJ, i like those +10% runs the best on long run day. 10 tedious miles, then push on a bit for 10 or 11m with a bit of focus.....agreed re London, id have taken Abo if i had too. Brighton is 11 wks today, cant see it happening though.

Nice one jools, good idea to recce the route, you must have coped ok on the hills in order to run a strong 19.5 today. Id have had to tack 0.5m on.

4m easy here, was breezy so glad i wasnt running laps of Goodwood today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. nothing wrong with a Bubka-esque mileage increase👍 Nice session!
    TR.. proper cotton wool time now, hope the weather gods are with you next Sunday.
    SJ.. Great 20m long run of two halves and a decent week of miles bagged.
    Jools.. very brave running long with a faster runner.  When I was somewhat younger I did a few long runs with a 75min half marathon clubmate.  I could never work out how much I was speeding up for him and how much he was slowing down for me🤔  Nice run BTW and another good week of miles.

Easier day for me so 2 x 4m done, 62m for the week.  Thankfully the farmers have trimmed the overgrown cart tracks that I frequently use so now easier to navigate and hopefully less pollen. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Good to read of your continued consistent training TT. Pretty sure this is the most sustained training I can recall from you since I started posting 5 years ago!
    Excellent progress being made from everyone else too and some cracking racing SJ & Speedy.
    Enjoy CWR Joolska. Gutted to miss it but they changed it from the traditional weekend last year as did TriX so that they now clash. I'd already booked in for the Tri before CWR announced the date change and unfortunately both events have retained last year's dates.
    Quiet week for me though I have been out every day & managed 38M in all + a 2K swim but no biking.
    Biggest run of 9M yesterday & (Not)parkrun Saturday in 21:08.
    Track session at lunch of 3x3'/4x2' off a minute into 5x1' off 45s. Increased the pace throughout the 3' & 2' reps & went faster still for the 1' reps although the perfect progression went awry by the 3rd.
    Here's my report of the SWT.
    Apologies but it's in Word
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cracking read that jools. The levels of support and organisation it took are eye opening. A cracking adventure, will give you legendary status for a long time in your circles.

5m easy home tonight. Uninspired by 11 lonely laps Sunday in a very small field, i have made inquiries and can swap to the 1/2 when i collect my number Sunday, if i wish to. Around 250 runners and the opportunity to get down towards 80min again, might get me more inspired. Dont have to decide until the weekend.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Jools - brilliant write-up! You could well be right. All good things must come to an end, though what's important is going on in the same vein from here.
    TR - great to have that possibility of swapping!
    Wardi - nice weekly volume.
    Jools - likewise, especially with the speedier clubmate long thrown in.
    sj - good long and also good volume. You're sounding in great shape, ankle notwithstanding.

So it turns out the vaccine doesn't help with common colds unfortunately. Two poorly kids - one who doesn't live at home, but who I spent a few hours in close quarters with, checking out and buying her first car - meant I was bound to catch something, but my immune system has put up a good fight which for me backs up the 'under-training' approach as I'm dealing with it better than I usually do.
    I've had 2 days off, but will possibly jog tomorrow before we head off on holiday (which will see minimal running, but plenty of walking).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Jooligan.. enjoyed reading about the long preparation plus the tired/painful sections.  Plus of course the joy of finishing and sense of achievement.  Congrats again!
    TT.. hopefully your bug resistance has worked!  Enjoy the break.
    TR.. I guess the only problem with changing to the half is wondering what might have been in the full if you have a decent run!  I know what you mean about a small field though.
    I've had weary leg syndrome since the weekend so decided to have couple of quiet days (2x5m) to recharge the batteries.  Will try a MLR tomorrow to see if it has worked.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope you feel better soon TT, a 2 jabbed person experiences CV19 as a cold ?

Wardi - a couple of easy days should help. Agreed re the switch, however the chance to get close to 80mins again might not come round again esp an m50. If i switch and have a crap run ill be glad i didnt do the mara, if i had a good run I'll feel i missed an opportunity. 1/2 would take less recovering from, Brighton is 10 weeks Sunday, but might not even happen. Pressure is off as i got the sub3 and gfa in April.

6m inc 6 x 3min this morning (in the rain of course).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Looks like the south has had the soggiest weather recently TR, it's been pretty dry up here.  
    Jools.. best of luck for the Cotswold relays; and the navigation of course 🙄
    10.5m this morning, cooler and breezier than of late.  Enjoyed the run though still not quite firing on all cylinders.  I think I'll just have a reduced mileage week, probably overdue.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Wardi - sounds sensible. Yes, been pretty wet here lately,  got a guttering repair needed at the weekend due to the strain on it. Hopefully I'll be holding the ladder and not up it.

5m easy home tonight.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    5m easy with strides this morning. Still got stiff hip/itb and tight hammy, so standard taper. Weather shows possible rain, sw gusts none of which looks too bad, but its going to be super humid.
    Jooligan - thoroughly enjoyed reading your SWT report. It made for slightly painful reading towards the end with the fall and slippery final descent and your tiredness. Kudos to you for finding the strength to keep up the pace and you were rewarded with a cracking finishing time. As is the way with these attempts the support required is essential as you mentioned - congrats all round. 

Jools - hope you have a good run at the Cotswold relays tomorrow. 

TT - glad to read the cold didn't impact you too much, enjoy your hols and relative downtime from running. 

Wardi - sensible taking it easier if not feeling fresh. I have a recovery week next which I am ready for. 

TR - As Wardi says great that you have the option to switch to the half - however - now that you have made that enquiry it would appear you are even less invested in the full? Perhaps in that mental state the half is a better option now? Less pressure especially with a gfa time on the board. A free hit out. Fwiw I think a decent half now run off good marathon training would give you a nice little boost heading into the next training block for autumn marathon. 

I'm tired this week but to be expected having run every day since 17th May and 4 weeks into p&d 18/70. Efforts session on Tues was pretty tough going: 7 x (2:30, 60secs both off 90secs) in humid conditions which meant Weds MLR of 15 miles was a bit of a grind but got it done. A very tired 4 miles last night before physio appointment in the evening. 

Nothing much to report from physio - left side is weak (ankle and kinetic chain). I have some lateral drills to work on, lots of hopping from one side to the other - think speed skater and to keep up the s&c work. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 with strides yesterday (it was meant to be 9 but I switched off as I was thinking about the morning's hearing and ran home before doing a final 2 mile loop - doh!).  7 today (in lieu of the 5 it was supposed to be).  Hayfever was very bad last night, but a bit better this morning.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools- good one on making up the miles. I remember Mr Boat adding on any missed P and D miles to other runs.

SJ - good couple of days Tues and Weds, good to be grinding out those mlrs on tired legs......a combination of things got me thinking of the 1/2, ive been super busy at work so running has dropped off my mental radar a bit, it was dawning on me that id have to manage another careful mara on a  probably warm day, (sunday will be more humid than hot, not sure how that will effect things),  ive a few niggles, it took me ages to shake off Aprils mara - and i don't want that with 10 wks to Brighton.......the list could go on........the chance to get close to 80mins again (as an m50) appeals, and there's less risk of the shoes causing an issue over 1/2.

3m inc strides today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. good to see the ankle is nothing too serious.  Nice training midweek, that's a decent daily streak too.
    TR.. your decision of course, hope you have a cracking run either way.
    Jools.. nice mileage balancing!
    After another fairly tired run yesterday I've taken a rest day today.  Hopefully my legs will feel a bit livelier for a MLR tomorrow.

edited July 2021
    Jools - nice mileage catch-up. 

TR - all sorts of stresses going on then. Cut yourself some slack and take the free hit out. 

Wardi - hopefully the rest day helps you freshen up. 

13.1 tonight in very humid conditions. Soaked through to the skin within first couple of miles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi -  how were yr legs today?

SJ - you've had a good week, mlr in humid conditions will set you up for an oct mara.

2m inc strides. Showers and bit of a breeze for tomorrow, but the humidity might drop if it rains. Might even have to find a singlet out.

Had a number id forgotten about arrive in the post today. Brighton Pheonix 10k weds 14th evening race on the seafront, its rolled over from last yr. Didnt think it would happen, but its been capped at 400 and has 4 waves going off in estimated finish time order. Sounds a lot more normal than laps of circuits, so i might see if i can make the logistics work.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. the wind sock on the racecourse this morning was hanging vertical and still. I wish you similar windless conditions tomorrow.  I found the rain showers took the edge off the temps today - having a wet t-shirt helped!  Best of luck tomorrow.👍
    SJ.. that sounds like a sticky MLR, you did well to sweat that one out.

I did feel a bit more energised today after the rest day.  So much so that I added an extra 2 loops to my planned 12-13m to log 16.3m amongst showery conditions. The only downside was a torrential downpour at 15m which meant I was a soggy mess when I got back to the car.  Too warm for a rain jacket or gilet so I just accepted the wetting.🌦
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Jooligan - I really enjoyed reading your SWT report and seeing the photos for what is an incredible achievement.  I loved your attitude throughout the run, you always seemed to be in control, always positive and really enjoyed it.  That was a very decent impressive time recorded too.  I hope the recovery is going well. 

TR - I would suggest going for a fast HM could be the most beneficial for you, especially as you sub-3d on the course now.  A fast HM race is great in itself, and as you know puts you in a good position for a fast marathon a few months down the track.

Wardi - A really good 16.3m logged, sure was sticky out there yesterday.

SJ - Another good looking week, following up last weeks 70m+.  Good to see the ankle hopefully wont turn out to be an issue. Good work for the practice HM 

Now starting to get a bit itchy for running, July 14th cant come sound enough to give an 8 week training programme for Madrid/ London.  Cycling c120m a week, reckon that's worth maybe 40 road miles.  Mainly using my mountain bike with its chunky tyres to get most fitness payback. Did a 30m hilly ride yesterday notable for passing dozens of tired looking teenagers out on their DoE weekend walks. 

Time now to watch the Marathon Du Mont Blanc live on FB and think back to 2018.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I swapped to the 1/2, which was seamless.

Lined up with the sub85s ran away from them and the sub 80s were up the road, so pretty lonely affair, but had people doing other distances to overtake. Thought id be around 81min, was hovering 6.15ish, which became 6.10s, so mid 81s was on, but tailed off mile 9 to 12 to 6.25ish when the humidity and wind caught up with me, last mile 6.10 for 82.11. Solid but unspectacular. Glad i never did the full, as the wind and humidity would have been tough.
    As ever these socially distance races are tough, but defo enjoyed first shorter distance race in a while. Bizarrley my av and max HR were only a couple of beats higher than my April 2.58, id expect it to be higher for a 1/2.
    Probably be a good idea to find a few other races in the build up to autumn maras as i defo struggled to get the diesel engine revving. Official time 82.09.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Thats sharp,   a cracking performance and time TR, especially on the back of no specific HM training.  Your clearly in really good shape
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Top bombing TR, that's got to be worth a minute or so faster on a cooler/less breezy day. My run this morning felt a lot warmer & more humid than yesterday so I'd imagine it was tough to race in.  Well deserving of a couple of cold beers 🍻

8.5m earlier, 51m for the cut back week which is a 10-15m reduction from normal.
    The 24hr Endure event up here at Bramham Park had to be halted from 11pm-1am last night due to thunder & lightning, heavy rain.  A bit of camping damage but everyone ok.
    edited July 2021
    TR - nice one. Sounds like the right decision in the end. Some cofidence to be gained from today's outing I think. The 10k in a couple of weeks' time is another opportunity for some sharper running with no pressure. 

Wardi - glad to read you felt better for the rest day and proven by the extra miles yday. Unlucky with the soaking though. I have a cutback week next, looking forward to it tbh.

OO - your resume to running will be here before you know it. Good work keeping fitness going with the MTB. I'm sure a couple of weeks back you'll be back in the groove. 

18 today out at 745am which meant I got back home just as the rain started - winning 🙂 Run also included 10 at 6:42 avg on mylunoy route. Took a mile or two to get up to speed but once I got going felt comfortably hard. Forgot HR strap so ran to feel rather than HR. 

So 2.56 pace 12 weeks out. Not too bad I reckon. 77.6 for the week. Aforementioned easier week next up.