Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-is it this weekend you have your next race?
    Cal-Good to see you are starting to get some good miles in again.I seen the runthrough email but none that fit in with my plans.
    They have a 10k around Chester Zoo in October I may do,25% goes to the zoo so for a good cause.
    Went for a nice day out to Wales today,weather was nice for lots of walking so that's what we did.Just remembered we have Chester 10k in 2 weeks,can't see it being the best so will see how it goes,won't be resting at all for it.
    On a bad note I felt my achilles really tight yesterday for the first time in months,couldn't even stretch it, it was so tight so need to be careful as that's the last thing I need.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    https://rsafilms.com/eu/news/universal-release-kipchoge-the-last-milestone-trailer-227
    Not sure if I've seen this posted,there is a film out next month about Kipchoge's sub 2 attempt.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, bad news about your achilles.  Hopefully that doesn't come to anything more serious!  Thanks, I had heard about that Kipchoge film - I'll keep an eye out to see if it's released somewhere near me and hopefully go along to see it.

I've had a full rest day from running/Zwifting today, although been busy with "life stuff" - I'm thinking about selling a flat I've just finished doing up, so had 4 different agents around, which is hard work in itself trying to cut through their sales pitches!  Pretty similar valuations so if I do sell, I expect I'll just go with the one that I felt I had the biggest rapport with.  Hay fever seems better now, so fingers crossed I get a good night's sleep tonight and I feel okay to get out for a run tomorrow.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-It is coming out first on sky documentaries then digital download it says.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just been reading that Cardiff Half, due to be run in October, has been pushed back to March 2022.  I know Wales are following different guidelines to England, but that's a bit worrying :(    Also, further afield, a marathon in Australia got cancelled at short notice (3 or 4 days notice, I think).  It is odd as it seems pretty much back to normal around here, with the exception that people are wearing masks when in pubs/cafes and getting up to order or go to the loo.  Other than that, it seems like normal here really, and personally I'm quite enjoying seeing the crowds at Wimbledon, Wembley, TdF etc.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - I can understand Australia as they’ve just started a new round of lockdowns all over the place due to the delta variant and they have low vaccination rates. Don’t really get the Cardiff one though. 

Ian - Next race is Farnborough half a week on Sunday. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Rcouture - hopefully you'll get a table on Sunday with a big patio umbrella  ;)

Ian - sorry to hear the achilles is painful.   I don't suppose you know what triggered it off again.

Yes, I'd seen Kipchoge mentioning the film due to come out.

Big G - property is selling so fast here, you should have a sale in a few days.    :)   Good to hear the hay fever is a lot better now.

I saw that about Cardiff Half.    Under current rules they are only allowed 4k, that's runners and spectators, they want their full compliment of 25k runners so aren't prepared to risk the chance that that might not happen.   Obviously comes down to making a load of money for them, nothing to do with running.

Wembley and Wimbledon are still test events re crowds.    I don't know if Wales are doing any test events, I doubt they would for running events, rugby perhaps.  

It's good to see the crowds back at TdeF, definitely makes for a much more exciting atmosphere.   Not many masks amongst the crowds.    Great to see Cav do another win yesterday.  :)  

Rest day for me today.   My legs are tired after the gym so have brought forward my rest day a day early.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there's talk that Snowdonia is postponed as well, until Oct 2022 I think.  I did check their facebook/twitter/website yesterday but didn't spot anything so didn't mention it just in case, but presumably it's an email that's gone out to competitors as a few different people have mentioned it now.  I just had a quick look and they had 2700 finishers in 2019 so quite a big event too.  On the face of it, it will seem a bit odd if large events in England go ahead in October, whilst over the boarder in Wales events are cancelled for that month.  I know Covid has been handled a bit differently across the countries, and numbers/concerns are different though.

Regarding property, it's a small flat, but two different agents said that some investors are buying similar properties without even seeing them.  Crazy really.  I may keep it though, so not decided just yet.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Big G - have you done Snowdonia?    Great event, despite the bit of off road.  But it's a lot of runners in a small village and wouldn't lend itself to wave starts either.

I don't think Drakeford etc are interested in sports such as running.    When we did Shepperdine you'll remember all those happy Welsh runners, there were no events in Wales at that time and they weren't even allowed to train in small groups with their running clubs.   Wales also had much stricter rules re exercise in the first lockdown.

Events are back on in Wales now.

I expect London marathon will get trial event status re crowds.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ve not done Snowdonia but I do hope to do it some time. 

Just been out for 7-miles on my regular route and had a nice run out this morning. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, I’ve not done Snowdonia but I do hope to do it some time. 

Another one to add to the camper van trip list  :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-There has been  othing really apart from MK,I went for a run on Wednesday and the leg felt really tight then it was sore Wed pm,will take a couple of days to rest it and hope it gets better.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's hard to blame MK when you did DD with all those hills and achilles was OK.   
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I know,it's at the back of the achilles so may be the Soleus muscle instead.
    Big G - Snowdonia has indeed been cancelled until next year,they are saying it's the council refusing to authorise any events for this year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - are you still having treatment from the physio?   Do you have homework to do to?

8 miles this morning.   Very humid, 98% allegedly, but did pick up a nice breeze in places and some light rain made it quite good conditions overall.   Managed to run down by the park with only an angry squawk from the nasty seagull there, then he left me alone.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, be warned: my achilles niggles always starts with a tight, sore pain in the soleus. This happened to me after one of my marathons and I shrugged it off as muscle soreness and continued to run through it. It didn't take long for it to turn into full blown achilles tendinopathy.
    But the good news is you can avoid that. I started feeling it again during my January hill challenge, towards the end, so I took it a bit easier and did less steep hills and lots of stretching and rolling and it went away. Just take it a bit easier for a while.

Shades, humid here too - I had a rough night as it was 24 in my room and I was sweating again. But I woke up to rain so looks like it's going to be cooler for a bit.

Gym day yesterday so decided to do a time trial/tempo of sorts today: Two miles to warm up then 5K tempo. I was hoping for 9 min/mi on the tempo and got quite close (9:06 then 9:08) but faded on the final mile. This is, however, the first sustained effort I've made since my injury, so it's to be expected. Effort was at the level where I was breathing quite hard but not at the sawing logs stage. My VO2 max is obviously well done from what it was so it's going to take some work to get it back. (I can't believe I ran for nearly 4 hours at this pace a year and a half ago). Could feel the knee a little, but hamstring didn't kick off, so that's a positive.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not sure what is going on with my mojo at the moment, but it's up and down to say the least.  I got up at my usual time, got dressed into my running stuff as usual, had my breakfast and coffee, put my running shoes on, put my HR monitor on....and then just thought "I really don't fancy this", so didn't go any further.  I tried telling myself "you will probably feel okay after a mile or two, and then you'll be glad you've gone out", but nope.  The dog was watching me having this internal dialog with myself, and I think he thought I was crazy....  Anyway, I climbed back into bed instead!  I do have some events lined up, but nothing motivating enough to get my teeth stuck into really.  The next few events certainly won't be PB attempts by any stretch of the imagination, just because of the nature of those events.  It's odd as this time last year I was out doing doubles, regularly running 60+ miles a week.  This year, my running mileage since DD has been poor - 12, 5, 44 and this week 37 so far.  I need to shake myself out of it somehow.  Here's where I start wishing DD was twice a year ;)    
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I am there every other week,I have exercises to do at home,which I've been pretty good at doing.
    Cal-It was the same soreness before my achilles went last time so that's why I've taken a few days off,it is definitely improving so hoping I've caught it before it gets worse.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - 24 degrees, phew.    Was humid and quite unpleasant last night when I went to bed, I thought I'd never sleep when it was like that but amazingly I had a good night's sleep (for me).    It has cooled here now too, I've just been out to the shops.

Good news the hamstring was OK for your tempo run.

Big G - I hope you took your running shoes off before getting back into bed.    ;)   You definitely need something to focus on with some sort of goal in mind to get you back into the training routine.   But it's hard when there just isn't the choice of events that we're used to having.   
    Must be confusing for Tigg, he probably enjoys his morning nap when you're out for a run.    :)

Ian - it's worth doing the homework for the achilles.   Hopefully you've caught it in time.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Just  on Wales there have been some test tri's going on  I think 2 as not my speciality.There is a test 5k race today in Pembrey I was invited but not in anywhere near PB shape so declined.
    There is  Swansea 10k still being held so far, which is September which usually attracts maybe 4-5000   runners. Also Swansea Half marathon in October but wether that will go ahead is anyone's guess.
    Not good news for Welsh runner's.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - you're right not good news for Welsh runners.    You can always nip over the border though.    :)

I had an email this week to say Swansea Half was going ahead, I'm not doing it, think I'm just on their mailing list.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I do have Dorney to aim at, which when I entered it was supposed to be a key race for me.  It's only 13 weeks away, but honestly the thought of that is not really floating my boat either at the moment.

WP, not good news, as you say :( 
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Swansea half is run by the Welsh Marathon peeps so I guess same mailing list.They run 3 events and the other 2 are deferred to 2022.

I for see me popping over the border for a 10k or half :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Big G - maybe write yourself a 12 week training plan then for Dorney, at least having a plan can help stop those will I/won't I run today moments.

WP - that explains why I get their emails then .      You won't even have to pay to get back into Wales now  :)

This looks interesting....

RogueRuns - The Age Grader (google.com)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 easy miles for me this morning.   Nice morning, humid again though.   

Had a disturbed night with football revellers going home after partying  :#

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I have taken to wearing ear plugs at night, Shades...they were letting off fireworks around here and I could just about hear them through the foam but it didn't stop me from going to sleep. I get a much better quality of sleep when I wear them - they've been a game changer.

I ran another (training) half marathon this morning...I'd initially thought I might run to Wimbledon Common and do a circuit of the trail race course, but it would mean a longer run, plus some climbs (no matter which way I approach it, I always have to run up a big hill to get to the common, and then there are the hills on the common itself) and I didn't feel ready for that. Instead, I opted to run down to Battersea, through the park, along the Thames (which I've not done for six months), along part of the Wandle and then back home via Mead Path and Tooting Common. It was quite humid but that brought out the smells of all the flowers along the way, and then it started to rain near the end...didn't mind that, though, as it cooled me down.
    It was a much better run than last weekend's and it shouldn't have been...I slept less than 6 hours last night and did that tempo yesterday, but I felt way more energetic when I went out. Pace was better, HR was better (despite the faster pace), and I definitely felt like there was a lot more fuel in the tank. Even now I feel less wrung out than I did last weekend.
    Knee was cranky for a lot of the run but didn't feel serious (more tight than anything so will have to make myself stretch today, I think). Hammy woke up around 8 miles but it was more a mild ache than something to worry about. Those niggles aside, very happy with this run - starting to feel like my old self.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    12.5 very sweaty miles this morning.  From mile 1 I couldn't control the HR, so turned that screen off on the Garmin and ran it "easy".  Fairly enjoyable but too humid really for it to be a super run out.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Nice running all. 

10 miles for me yesterday before the football with a bit of half marathon pace to test things out. Rest day today, driving up to Oxfordshire to see some family. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I tried earplugs a while ago when I had a spell of not sleeping well but I found them uncomfortable and made no difference to sleep quality.   It's not usually noise that causes me a poor night's sleep.  Last night I just read for a bit then dozed off again.
    I still have earplugs from when I last did London marathon as the noise of the crowds is really awful. 🤬

Thankfully we didn't have fireworks last night, well if we did they didn't wake me.

Big G - I seem to remember before that the humidity affects your HR a lot.   So far this year it's not affected my running HR but that might be as I'm usually out a bit earlier than you and it's cooler then.

Rcouture - have you set yourself a target time for Farnborough?

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - No real target. Official PB is 1:45:51 from Feb 2020 and then I did a time trial in December at 1:36ish with help from traffic breaks. Would be happy with something around the latter and set a decent base to beat at royal parks later in the year.