Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice session, DT.

A steady 12 for me this morning, testing my hydration backpack with my crop top ahead of Saturday's relays, as the rules require us to carry a water vessel. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    It's a pain when work gets in the way of training G-D! Good work on the June mileage.

Sounds like a painful HM/10K/HM session DT.  Was that with rest between the 1K reps? And another good 10 miles this morning.

I find it hard to run at MP outside of a race so quite happy with the trek to Thurlow.  The alternative would have been Leeds which was a more attractive race but would have involved an overnight stay!

Impressive speed on the LT miles Gul and big miles for the month.

Good to see you getting some miles in Poacher.  Hopefully you can build from here.  Still plenty of time before VLM.

A good 20 to end the week OO.  Good luck with the track races.

It's a cut-back week this week but couldn't resist a couple of miles at threshold pace in the middle of yesterday's 10 miler.  At 6:35/m it looks like I'm the slowest on the thread!

Planning a steady 13.1 miles early evening which will get me to 334 for June.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good work, Gdawg. Work really can be a nuisance at time. Now Wales are out, i'll pay more interest in following England. I am setting myself up for a nasty sunday as I have a 16 miler and my daughters 8th birthday party from 2pm and going out Saturday for both games.

Jools, good luck with the relay event.

SBD, I more meant that if I had travelled that far I think i'd just want to go full beans to justify the journey. I quite enjoy running at mp, it's almost a session without being a session, particularly compared to some of the sessions I do.

I'm sure threshold pace will lift pretty fast for you. Well done on Junes mileage.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - solid first month. Nice weekend planning!
    GD - well done on a big total for June.
    Jools - good prep. How far is your leg?
    SBD - massive miles as ever. I'm sure you will be considerably faster than me on race day. My effort was probably more like 10k pace.
    Schedule says 18 with 10 @MP, but I ended up with 4 w/u, 12@7:03 and 2 w/d.
  • SBD - don't worry, 6:35/m is a pace I'd dream of doing at the moment! Good running over the weekend - 10 miles hard in the middle of a 20 is a great session. Fingers crossed for Berlin.

Jools - good luck with the relays. Crop top + hydration backpack sounds like a rather painful combo to me. Odd that you have to carry water with you.

DT19 - nice to hear you'll be adding to the supporter base. I enjoyed the game on Tuesday, but I'm trying not to get too carried away yet.. Sounds like Sunday will be an interesting session.

Poacher - very pleased to hear that you're back in running action. Have you got a place at London? 

Prodded to post by the aforementioned Poacher, just a quick one to say that it was "mission accomplished", definitely summed up by "blood, sweat and laughter".

I'm not sure exactly how many miles it ended up being as there was a mixture of canal and river in the first few days, depending on which path was easier to follow but I'm sure it wasn't that far off the 170 mile length of the Trent.

High points: running into Newark at around 10am under cloudless skies and sitting next to a busker who was just about to start his set with "Here comes the sun"; getting Bob (my kayaking mate) and the kayak out of the river through a combo of rope and tree climbing at Gainsborough when we realised that it wasn't all that safe to continuing kayaking; some super helpful people en route and of course making it to the end!

Not-so-high points: finding myself on the wrong side of the canal in Nottingham to help Bob round a lock + phone malfunction + being hungry all at the same time; grumpy anglers; having to wheel/carry a heavy kayak through Branston at the end of a long day; a few moments of stress getting Bob in and out of the water at the bigger locks.

But two main take outs:
    - overall it was great fun and a real sense of achievement at the end, not just in having done something that I knew would be a challenge, but also having raised over £5,500 for the British Heart Foundation
    - we now know why very few people kayak the length of the Trent!!

Unsurprisingly, June was my highest ever mileage month, coming in at 280 - I have managed to get out every morning since returning albeit at a gentle pace. Now just need to start turning my attention to training for the Yorkshire Marathon in October.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Lorenzo. What a great achievement and a superb experience. I was telling a colleague who is a keen kayaker about your exploits just yesterday. Well done, Sir!

Great pace in the middle of a 10 there SBD, solid running, that.

Is that a Covid change at the event, Jools? They can't give out water so everyone must bring something, especially as it's a summer event?

Nipped out for a cheeky 5 miler that turned into a tempo at lunchtime. I wasn't sure what the session would be apart from it will have a quality middle 3 miles. Started off and felt good, first mile ended up at almost MP, 6.52 and then hit the 6.3x zone for three miles. Felt strong so carried on and finished with a 6.16 to average 6.34.

Stats tell me this was 6 consecutive running days, and that this was my fastest road session of the year. I'll rest tomorrow
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yup, Covid change. Plus trying to reduce single use plastics. Be interesting to see if it's the same next year.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - what a great achievement and an adventure you will remember for years to come. Great to raise all that money for BHF too.
    GD - another nippy lunchtime run. Enjoy the rest.
    6 easy miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You are a hero Lorenzo. Been following on Strava and the runs look immense.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Easy week here in prep for a 5k race on Sunday and 3k Monday. I haven't felt 100% sharp in spite of the rest. Tried to run a short burst flat out on Wednesday morning and it was harder than I hoped. I'd hope to get below 18 mins for the 5k and below 10:13 for the 3k but this could be a big ask.
    In other news myf flights for Berlin got cancelled. So I now have neither flights nor hotel for the marathon in September. It's still an option if travel is possible, otherwise I may try to defer again 😪

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done on the epic adventure, Lorenzo together with the fund raising. I'd forgotten all about the running around tube stations until it was mentioned above.

OO- I'm sure the magic of race night will spur you into action! Good luck.

Nice MP run, Gul.

Pretty sharp stuff, gdawg. You really should get to a 10k or something just to get a sense of where things are at.

I've had session anxiety this morning and off out shortly for 2 x 5k at 10k effort. It'll probably come out at half pace I would imagine as it's pretty warm and muggy here and the sun keeps threatening to shine. Either way, the effort level will be there and it'll be nice when I've finished!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Session was hard as expected particularly as it was warm and the sun kept appearing. I really struggled   in first 5k which came in 18.40. Meant to have three minutes recovery but I added a couple of minutes simply because it was sunny and I wanted a big cloud to come in. 

Second 5k felt better than I was èxpecting with cloud cover staýing for 3k. That one came out 18.41. Two big sessions and 55m this week so feeling like proper training now. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great going DT, especially the 2nd 👍
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - shame about Berlin, but maybe it will still work out. Good luck with your races 
    DT - top bombing.
    15 slow to easy miles, mostly off road, this morning.
  • That's a gutter ref Berlin OO - good luck with the track events. 

Saw your run on Strava DT - excellent stuff

Another decent run this morning Gul. Do you actually sleep at all?!

11 miiles for me this morning - picking up the pace to 7:1x for the second half
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo that is magnificent. Kayaking on rivers can get scary very quickly and the other fella must have been thankful to have a wingman. Add in the fundraising, the sheer distance and logistical issues, and the fact that you crossed the country under your own steam by an ancient and fascinating route and it's a great, great adventure. Grand chapeau.

OO what is the issue with Berlin? Is it that you aren't allowed to go at all, or that the specific people you had booked with had backed out?  There is a huge range of accommodation in Berlin so if you are able to travel there would surely be somewhere to stay.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    On reflection, 
    1) OO could get the kayak out and paddle to Germany to bypass the airline problem. Head east across the North Sea, find the mouth of the Elbe, follow signs for Hamburg then just carry on to Berlin. Easy.
    2) the way to top the Trent trip would be to run or paddle down the estuary just in time for the start of the excellent Hull marathon. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Now that's an option I haven't considered Poacher 😉
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - soon back into training. You must have recovered well?
    OO - maybe SBD could smuggle you across in his suitcase?
    7 mile recovery run this morning to make 78 for the week. Cut back week starts tomorrow :)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A big week Gul.  Enjoy the cut back.

Hand luggage only for me and that will be filled with running gear so not much room for OO!

An epic trip Lorenzo and excellent fund raising.  So no more mad adventures before York?

Good pace on those 5Ks DT.

A good turn of speed on the tempo miles G-D.

Hope the 5K went well OO.  Why did the airline cancel the Berlin flights?  I've still not booked but there are flights available from Heathrow.

16 miles LR this morning.  A bit humid at times but with rain showers giving some intermittent relief.  Ran moderately progressive, starting at 8:00/m and finishing at 7:10/m for an average of 7:39/m.  Sadly, the end of the cut back week and three big weeks ahead ending with the HM at Bedford racing circuit.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, I dont think that's bad news as despite what their chancellor said on Friday, probably in the face of pressure, I don't think uk runners will be allowed in. At least you've no outlay now. 

SBD- I see the half starts at 10am and mara 9am. The 20m I'm in goes off at 9.15 and I'd be surprised if there were many who will have opted for that distance. I'd much rather they started us with the mara or half as I fear a pretty lonely run otherwise. 

Similar to my long run this morning with the 16. 

Gdawg nice work on the 15. 

Solid mileage there, Gul. 

Decent progression mlr, Lorenzo.  

So an easy 16 this morning. Went out a bit bleary eyed at 10am after a few too many last night and just as it started to hammer down. Though actually,  as I learnt in the second half when it had stopped, it made for much cooler conditions. A very slow first few miles then started to find my stride coming in at 7.50mm. Starting to feel in full flow now. Legs barely feel like I've run today and I've done 55m for week with 2 big sessions, 3 spin classes and 2 s and c sessions.

Another decent week this week coming, albeit without a long run as I pull things back briefly for my 10k a week Wednesday.  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I can't keep you company SBD. Just let me know if you take a case 😄
    18:03 in the 5k today. It was hot and windy and it ended up as a solo run as the field dropped me. Reasonably happy on balance. Next up 3000m tomorrow.
    Good going DT. I honestly can't remember my last proper hangover. I need to get out more 🤔
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    SBD - yes, I've seen the next 3 weeks on the schedule. Will you be going flat out at Bedford or aiming for MP effort?
    DT - all looking very promising.
    OO - great effort in the 5000m. Hope you've something left for today.
    10 slow miles this morning. I've entered the local  10k which is on 22nd August.
  • OO - strong performance in the 5000. Would love to get close to that time - getting back under 20 mins is my short term goal at the mo.

Poacher - I like your thinking. Not sure how we'd have got the kayak out surrounded by all the ships, but a good thought nevertheless!

DT - 16 miles with a hangover must have been tough.

SBD - no mad running adventures, although MrsL and I are going to be walking the Coast to Coast during the summer so that'll help build the base. I am tempted by the idea of a run round London going to every square on the Monopoly board.

Gul - I think I recover reasonably quickly, although TBH as I'm working from home, I just need to get out for at least a short run every day just to stop myself going made!

13 trail miles on a new route with the Sunday morning running crew to bring me up to 48 for last week; a gentle 4 this morning 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some great running over the weekend, Gang. Real shame about Berlin, OO, you'd smash that course. Great 10k, nice!

15 easy trails on Saturday with a couple of pals who are training for a 100 miler at the end of the month. It was a short recovery for them! 

My own recovery was too quick yesterday as I was buzzing from the England result. Floated round at 7.27 pace, so had to label it "Easy" as that's clearly not recovery pace, despite going through the hangover headache in the first mile. 47 for the week. Just need to re-arrange sessions this week around football and work commitments.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done GD, more recovery from a hangover by the sounds if it. I still have the Berlin entry so if things change at the last minute I wouldn't 100% rule it out.
    Mine was a humble 30 miles last week but I somehow ended up with a sore foot. That permitting I'd like to do double that this week.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Excellent time on the 5K OO - very impressive on the WAVA scale.  I'm half tempted to drive to Berlin and there's plenty of room in the boot.

Good running on the trails G-D and hangover management.  I have to confess to the initial third of my Sunday LR being run whilst feeling somewhat worse for wear.  At least the final is on Sunday.

Well done on getting the miles in post Trent Lorenzo.  A running trip around the monopoly board could be fun you would just need to avoid the "Go to Jail" card.

A good slow 10 Gul.  Well done on entering the 10K.  Bedford will be an MP run at least until I'm overtaken by DT.

A solid 16 DT and a good week.  It's hard to know how many will choose to run the 20 miles - it seems a little early for the Autumn marathons.  Given I'm planning to run 18 with 13 at MP, and a 2 mile w/d, I had thought about entering the 20 but wanted to get a recent HM time on the record.

7.5 miles recovery on the treadmill early evening.  I run these at 8:19/m pace and use the HR profile as a measure of overall fitness and recovery from the harder sessions.  Today was impressive with 1K splits of:

118, 128, 129, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 129, 129, 129

Normally, I would see an increase over time depending on the level of training fatigue but I don't think it's ever been so flat.  Perhaps it's the alcohol still in the system!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Mrs GD took a youth group on trip  to London for a monopoly game based on the same idea (minus the running). Should be good fun.
    GD - good trail run and "recovery" :)
    OO - how did the 3000m go? Hope the foot is okay.
    SBD - impressive stats. All looks promising.
     Longest run of the week today. 16 miles with 3 w/u, 8 easy and 5 @MP to finish (averaged 7:07).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Nice bit of 'recovery' there gdwg. Moving faster than I need to is not something I gravitate towards when hungover!

Nice going there, Gul. Be good to see what you've got in a 10k.

That is a nice steady line, SBD. If you look at runbritain rankings, there's only about 10 runners on there who have run a 20m this year. Of course others will have also run but won't be on RB. But as you say with a 5k, 10k, half and a mara on offer and it being a bit early for Autumn maras I  really don't see more than a handful opting for it.

Good work in the 5k, OO. Hope the 3000 went well?

Some good news coming out of Germany overnight re allowing double jabbed UK visitors again. Also good news in the UK for the like of London mara etc.

I find  the idea a little bizarre that on the 18th July I can go out in the evening, wear a mask, keep 2m apart, no be allowed to go to the bar and only meet 6 others, then I can do the same the next day as if this was all a bad dream!

I fear problems down the line, this Government have done it a few times now, Xmas being a prime example, where they have over promised, then been scared to backtrack and we've been left in atrocious situations as they've then backed out last minute. The health secretary this morning said, by 19th July we'll be seeing 50k new infections a day, which is peak level from January. I just hope this vaccine wall holds as with 10% not having it and then the vaccine being 90% successful, when you are dealing with 60 million, that's still big numbers at risk and spread equal mutation risk. Anyway, I hope my concerns are misplaced.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes I must say I'm a bit surprised by the total relaxation. I'm in Newcastle where we now have the highest infection rates in the country and the number of friends and acquaintances I know isolating due to a household infection is notable. A return to normal in a couple of weeks doesn't feel entirely justified.