Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Quality double Simon, with or without a footie depleted field and, as they say, you can only beat those there on the day :smile:

Decent 10 too SG, though both pretty random and specific at the same time :smiley:

Jools - not entirely sure how you managed to keep up the RED the day after (or even the week after!!!!) the SWT but your legs don't seem to be made of the same stuff as the rest of us!!!

Just trying to maintain some fitness and endurance for me now, with 3 off-road, hilly evening runs so far this week all around 7 miles.  The hamstring seems to be behaving and barely a twinge on these, so fingers crossed it's now a case of moving on and building back up.  One thing that is odd though, is how you reset your own expectations and feeling of what feels 'good'. All these runs have been around a minute per mile down on, say, 2 years ago, but they don't feel slower necessarily, and when pushing hard in the last mile, it feels fast, even though the pace is telling me otherwise! Nature's way of easing you into old age gently I guess :wink:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Bus, I'd gone out for a vague 8-10 sort of mixer, but as we all know, most times we set a range, we know we need to do the top end!

I ended up padding it out a little, so went back to the actual Thames Path, and ran into Gossmore Park, and taking a right and expecting to be able to follow the Thames back to the Higginson Park bit. Totally forgetting it's a dead end, and you have to come "in land" for a bit to follow it.

Wonder how many bits of that Thames Path 100 are like that - it sounds impossible to get wrong, but I bet you can add mileage on those sorts of bits, especially when knackered.
    As I wonder for the Marlow stretch, is the route through a couple of fairly subtle footpaths emerging at the Church? Or is it all the way following the Marlow 5 route in?

Bus, while that will definitely be nature's way for sure - I think it's more likely it's a temporary set of "hard" paces, and your actual level will emerge when given a good spell of "proper" training.
    And that pace will be competitive within your age range for certain.
  • Jooligan said:
    Good explanation PMJ. I've picked up a few oddities like that on runs/bike rides - left a few others too :D 

What have you left? The big lorries have cargo straps that sometimes fall off and I thought "Mm, that looks useful" and tried to pick it up but they are very heavy and quite rigid and would be no use holding surfboards on top of my Volvo so it got dumped very quickly.
  • The Bus said:
    One thing that is odd though, is how you reset your own expectations and feeling of what feels 'good'. All these runs have been around a minute per mile down on, say, 2 years ago, but they don't feel slower necessarily, and when pushing hard in the last mile, it feels fast, even though the pace is telling me otherwise! Nature's way of easing you into old age gently I guess :wink:
    Old age has this nasty habit of making step changes in addition to the gradual changes you barely notice. For runners like us with years of data, those step changes can be pretty apparent. 

You've had a lot on your plate in the last few years and with lockdown meaning no races I suspect your focus has been elsewhere. It is all about what you measure yourself against and you are way faster than the average for your age.

Stevie G said:
    Wonder how many bits of that Thames Path 100 are like that - it sounds impossible to get wrong, but I bet you can add mileage on those sorts of bits, especially when knackered.
    As I wonder for the Marlow stretch, is the route through a couple of fairly subtle footpaths emerging at the Church? Or is it all the way following the Marlow 5 route in?

In Marlow, it is Gosmore Park then those two little footpaths past the Two Brewers and through the churchyard to rejoin by the bridge. The worst local bit is by Cookham: if you come from Bourne End into Cookham and cross the bridge then there is a footpath that leads alongside the Thames for about a kilometre before it stops at the end of lock cut and there is no path onwards. You have to double back and take an inland detour to rejoin the Thames much further downstream. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    After chuckling at the mental image of Phil running with a crowbar I struggled to work out what RED stood for but got there in the end, impressive Jools.

Don't think I have ever picked up anything on a run other than a catalogue of injuries.

On the age thing, I run slower than I did when I first came on here but I think it's purely because I have less vanity about the pace I run at these days. I don't think I am yet incapable of running at the same paces. My easy appears to be around 7:40-8 minute miles now whereas I used to think 7:30 or faster was required.

Having said that, last night's late run came out at 7:28. It was warm. In other developments, I have been running to KMs this year. I changed it for a 5k on Christmas day and never changed it back. In my head 4:30 per KM is the same as 7:30 per mile but obviously it's not so I quite like the surprise when I get on Strava and I was faster than I thought. Similarly I treat 7 minute miles and 4 minute KMs as the same thing when they're very different :-). 

I have a middle distance/half ironman on Sunday and then I need to think about booking a HM for the autumn to replace Wokey.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Reg I recall you bemoaning a post injury run being slow because it had an 8:xx mile or two in there.
    PMJ X-rated :p 
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the comments on the races - SG, No I can't recall a double road race - although the MK running festival in usual times can offer up the chance of a 5k/half/10k combination somewhere (not all 3 though!)

Good running all too. 16 x 400 last night off 80, 78 to start, slowly getting them down to 71's, 65 for the last one.

Just off to the station, watching the Fast Friday 10,000's at Walthamstow tonight. Should be good, AK from the Battersea race (SG) flying the flag for LBAC in the elite womens race.

Reccying a relay leg tomorrow, then an 8 & 15 double non scoring at Peterborough on Sunday. All go!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Nice work used to do 2 other events in the same format as Gosport's mile & 5k, but covid seems to have binned the other 2 off. They were a bit far further out than Gosport in fairness, far Kent.

With a race on Monday, I wanted "a" sesh, but nothing too mashing.
    Therefore, an 8.5miler, with 3miles warm up to the top of Flackwell, with 10x1min off 60secs monstering across Flackwell felt ideal, and worked well because Tuesday was hill reps rather than flat zooms.

Right at the hottest time of day, so was a nice run out.

SAT OFF tomorrow, and probably best to limit the long run to 10 or so max, which should be ok as the race is Monday evening.

If that goes well, there's actually a choice of 3 races fairly locally on the next Sunday.
    A sign that normality is on the way back!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    About 10 or so from my club are doing this Race to the Stones ultra this weekend.
    2 days, 100k split in a half, camping in between, although you can be a maniac and do it in 1 sitting.

Could be fun one year. Would have to do it in a group, or with a pal though I think, rather than just trying to beast it. That wouldn't be any level of fun.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Quiet for a Sunday?

Longest run since March today of 14 miles (off-road), ending longest week (42M), but a rather OCD disturbing 4999ft for the week!  Also sobering is that this was nearly half an hour slower than my fastest time for this route!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    It always feels quiet when you're the only one who posts your long run, Bus. It's good you're back to remembering what it's like with that meaty 14 :)

With an evening race tomorrow, I thought 10 will be plenty, to stay in the structure, but not tucker out too much.
    Ended with 10.5m in the end. 7.44 ish. Slowed by a bit of woods, including still managing to get a wrong turn or 2 in there, plus a right traipse through long grass/crops for half mile, that felt pretty slow indeed. Saw it on 10/11min at a point!

Last run of my 30s.
    A decade starting with being dumped, but some wonderful pbs, trips and memories at the front end, miserable Wyc half/collapse saga/tests/real uncertainty in the middle, changing jobs 3 times, but then re-embracing the club scene with Datchet, hitting some still good times relative to my level, discovering new random races all over the place, but simply remembering that simple pleasure of being able to turn over each week with regular mileage, and try and not take for granted being able to race feeling fit every so often.

Looking forward to the end of this lockdown coming imminently, and cracking on with doing stuff while we all still can, and after spending years watching people on this thread hoover up the vet pots, see if I can rustle up a few cock n biscuit level pots myself :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday for tomorrow then SG! Let's hope you can begin the celebrations this evening as well!

Those first old bloke trophies are your for the taking :smiley:
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Jools - is your Blaisdon 10k going ahead anytime?

RTTS on those terms sounds great fun, SG. I’d be up for that one day. Happy big birthday for tomorrow. An excellent outlook on life. You could write the mindfulness podcasts I listen to!

Hope you enjoyed the foray into the Cotswolds, Reg. Was the swim cancelled?

Some very definite progress there, Bus 👍

I did go through a phase of always running the route between Cheltenham Racecourse and the train station the morning after the Gold Cup. £30 my biggest find 💰 

PMJ - good point on running data proving cold hard facts. Might start ignoring it!

A second ever mile race last night: the Bourton One Mile Challenge. Ran 5:21 there two years ago - I thought that was slow back then, so a painfully slow 5:39 this time. Have run a 5M at that speed!

Nonetheless, a fun evening. 1830 start, rolling waves job. A one mile charge into the town centre - which is essentially the tourist capital of the Cotswolds so very picturesque and lots of atmosphere. 

15ft elevation - so nothing really, although the consistent ascent on Strava looks hard!

Good to do something well outside my comfort zone - both physically and mentally. Would like to try a track mile sometime. 

15M buggy today. 7:50 pace. At least I am half decent at this niche activity 😆 

Saw this - a friend or someone in the running club. Running Everesting in a day. All on the middle hill of my three hills route. Bloody hell! 

IMG_7387png

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday in a few minutes SG, best thing about being a runner is you can put the positive V40 prize spin on it.

Good mileage Bus and a nice mile from SQ albeit not quite at your best yet. The swim was cancelled due to fog on the lake, to be fair you couldn't see anything!

So it became a bike run 56 miles bike and just under 13 miles for the run, I had a bit of a nightmare. Started the bike and found that my  electronic shifting wasn't working so after comically spinning at a stupid cadence for a few minutes I pulled over to try and fix it but no joy. I did remember that I could still change using the junction box though so I managed to get through it but without being able to see the buttons as they were under my water bottle.

Once I did get going my average speed picked up nicely, I thnen took a wrong turn without knowing on the second lap and I ended up at the finish having only done 62 km of 90 so I went back out and did another full lap. By the end I'd done 10 miles extra and had lost a bottle of energy drink so I was not expecting much on the run.

As expected it was pretty dire and what didn't help was the knowledge that I had wasted 25 minutes on the bike. Finished the run in 1:31 at 7:15 pace whereas my best on this course is 1:24. Still despite the longer bike I averaged 25.2 mph and would have been closer to 26 without the extra distance as I lost a bit of momentum once I realised I'd fucked up.

Positive sigs for the bike but I need to work on my running.;
  • Stevie G said:
    About 10 or so from my club are doing this Race to the Stones ultra this weekend.
    2 days, 100k split in a half, camping in between, although you can be a maniac and do it in 1 sitting.

Could be fun one year. Would have to do it in a group, or with a pal though I think, rather than just trying to beast it. That wouldn't be any level of fun.
    I struggle with putting a sensible sort of spin onto some of these ultra events.

If you look at RTTS and do the weekend option, then that is 100k spread over 2 days so 50km (or just over 30 miles) each day. You pay £204 for a package that includes camping, dinner, breakfast and transfers so if you and a mate do that then that is £408 for two. 

For that money, you can pick a decent hotel and you roll up Saturday mid-morning and leave a car in the car park. Go for a gentle 15 miler and have a pub lunch and then repeat in the afternoon. Check-in, nice dinner, bed and breakfast and repeat on Sunday, 20 in the morning then Sunday lunch and crawl out for another 10, pick up the car and off home. 
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yeah i'm with you PMJ, waste of money and it's just a glorified hike. Always some really good runners in the mix tho.

Good to get out of the comfort zone SQ! Good RUN SG and happy birthday! My 40's definitely my favourite running decade..Sri 5k tonight?

Shame about the tech cock ups Reg, Loving the 4999 Bus.

Got a bit pissed at the Fast Friday, 4 bottles there and a couple on way home, doner meat and chips on way home too. Both the guys i went with dropped out!

9m MK relay leg reccie Saturday, then non scoring 8 & 15 at Peterborough yesterday. Won the 800 in 2.09 (in non scoring race), 3rd in the 1500 (one race) in 4.17. Got into the lead with 800 to go, my mate passed me with 500 to go and got passed by the 2nd guy with 100 to go. Happy with the time tho.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice work SC.

I think there's a lot more to the attraction of the RTTS and similar events than just the bare ingredients. Having it organised for you, sense of occasion, lots of fellow runners, route marking I assume, even a medal for some. It's also nice to have a fixed date in the future to train towards for those that need the motivation. Also if you're trying to impress your family and friends it sounds better if you can use a name of an event rather than just saying you went for a long run  :)
  • SCoombes2 said:
    Yeah i'm with you PMJ, waste of money and it's just a glorified hike. Always some really good runners in the mix tho.
    Always a few but never much depth: first home was 8:21:46 for 100km so a gnat's dick over 5 mins a km (that would be 8:20 dead) which is handy by any measure but he was an hour ahead of second. 

Reg Wand said:
    Nice work SC.

I think there's a lot more to the attraction of the RTTS and similar events than just the bare ingredients. Having it organised for you, sense of occasion, lots of fellow runners, route marking I assume, even a medal for some. It's also nice to have a fixed date in the future to train towards for those that need the motivation. Also if you're trying to impress your family and friends it sounds better if you can use a name of an event rather than just saying you went for a long run  :)
    I'll grant you the social aspect and sense of occasion. I've done a  few backwater marathons where you get up, leave home, 30 minutes in the car and you are at the start, pin on a number, off you go, cup of tea and a slice of cake and home by noon. Way different to London which is a day to get your number and then another day to get there, run the race and back. 

I can't let you say family are impressed: they know only too well what the real stakes are. My wife has never said "Wow, that was a good run," and is more likely to say "Well, I'm glad that's over for this year, maybe the lawn will get cut now." 

If you can wrangle it like you did with the campervan and holiday they may buy into it. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Yes, my well dones are always served with a side order of now you can look after the bloody children you selfish ****
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Refreshing to see Reggie of all people putting a bit more reasonable case forward there, then the "douchey elite" runner angle :D 

You have to remember that a lot of runners who do these don't train loads, are a bit older, aren't necessarily natural runners. I think it's brilliant they can flog themselves for 30miles for 2 days running.  It might be slow by "our" standards, but it's certainly not for them.

I was following the photos and posts and it generates a real buzz in the club. Looks a nice event. I like that they have the tents all set up and numbered, and a whole buzz around the half way point.  I could even see going along for the shiggles one year.
    Probably for the social, rather than the guy of ours who came 2nd. That didn't look a fun way of doing it.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Long evening/night for me, so i'll whisk up a race report tomorrow.
    My word it was the worst drive i can remember in a decade. Just to set the scene :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    But the parking was OK right? :wink:
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Nice track double Simon; good to see you still smashing those and seeing off all the youngsters

Bus; great to hear you are pretty much over all the injuries, you fully deserve a good spell now

Reg; must be a mare to have a mechanical during a race; my rear derailleur was not working properly on Saturday so couldn't get into the top 4 gears for most of my ride. That's bad enough.

PMJ&Reg: I think you are both right re these Ultras like RTTS. Not meant for those of us who like creature comforts and runs to be proper runs, but maybe fun for youngsters in a group (same logic as Endure). Reg's point re impressing folk is valid too; if you run a 5k in say 18 mins few non-runners care or are in awe. "Run" 60 miles over 2 days and at whatever pace and spouses often tell all their mates and even bask in the vicarious glory (before, as PMJ says, telling you to get on with domestic chores ;)).

Anyway double race report time from me as failed to get round to it after Yateley 10k last Wednesday. Was wave starts but, like Battersea 5k's, large size waves (about 100 this time) and I was in the first to felt just like a normal race. Course is basically a slight incline for about 3k, then a really fast stretch to 7.5k followed by a climb most of the way home. Key for me is to get off at around about 3'55k's, then hammer the downhill as fast as possible then hang on in there as close to 4's for the uphill as possible. All went pretty much to plan though the 8th and 9th k's slipped to about 4'10, so just missed my 39 min target with 39'09 but still 2nd v50. Happy enough with that and sneaked my first ever top 20 there (20th) as a reduced field due to the England semi (and only missed 25 mins of that so not bad!). Interesting field of runners; Dachs, once of the parish, first in just over 34 followed closely by a club colleague of mine in 2nd. A local guy aged 66 ran a low 37 which is just crazy but he is top v65 on the country and I think was a national runner in his youth.

Onto Sri Chinmoy 5k last night and, as SG alludes, the main story was the journey there. Left home at 5:15pm for a 7pm start on a route that usually takes under an hour, even in busy traffic. Not last night! With flash floods the M4 looked more like a river and water about a metre deep in parts. Sometimes only one lane open and fire engines and ambulances all over the place making it look like a movie scene. Wanted to turn home, but even that option not really on, as traffic and the state of the motorway looked even worse the other way. Finally at about 6:40pm and near Hammersmith it eased and we pulled into Battersea Park at 6:58pm for a 7pm race start. Guy I was with jacked it as he wouldn't race with zero warm up (sensible), but I was not in the mood for that having driven there for almost 2 hours :p

Next issue though was not knowing what wave I was in and not having my Garmin signal (as well as trying to dash to the start as the first wave was coming in the opposite direction!). Declared myself for the 5th and last wave at 7:04 to give myself just that bit of time. After all that the race was a bit of an anti-climax. My wave was the slowest runners, so bombed ahead of all of them and spent the 5k going past people from the 2 waves ahead (probably 20-25 min 5k'ers I guess). Did 18'44 which I was very pleased with in the circumstances, but as I should have been wave 3 may find they add 2 mins to that and don't know if I'll be able to persuade them otherwise. Great to see SG there on his birthday and look forward to his epic travel report (oh and race bit too ;)).
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of Reading Half in early November, seems like a reasonable spot in the calendar for a half actually and one that wasn't really used before with the exception of Marlow. September and October are nice months to train. Also hopefully the government will be holding firm still.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    X-post -nice double there Pete.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good effort on the two races PeteM. Luckily wasn't in yesterday as the Euston tunnels were flooded!

Agree about the 'glory' of RTTS. My favourite was our mate from Luton ran on BBC in an indoors 1500m (won by Mo). British indoors I think.

Told a woman at work and she said...'Oh not good enough to do a marathon then?'
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Battersea Park 5k last night then.
    Seemed genius booking this for a birthday turnout a couple of weeks ago.

Having a week off work meant I could enjoy the obligatory late return and not have to combine it with an early start the next day too.

Originally a club mate was coming too, as well as Powerful Pete, plus another club mate was going to come to watch.
    Between that little lot there was almost a birthday gathering.

The two clubmates didn't come, and Pete was umming and erring, so I was glad to find he was still coming along.

Setting off at 4.50pm for a 7.01 (!) start seemed plenty of time. You can do this drive in about an hour, but it also builds in a safety net for those last few miles.

In the car and I was utterly dribbling with sweat. Took a while for the air con on full "cold" max to calm that down.
    Down the M40 and all good to the M25.
    Somewhere between the M25 and M4 it started looking very ropey in the skies. 

Then the lightning started :D 
    Then the rain so heavy that max strength windscreen wipers barely did a job began.

A little scary to be honest, just about seeing the car in front and being glad to still be on the motorway to be honest, and not trying to make any turns or find a route.

Certainly was the worst conditions I've driven in for a good decade, and the first time I can remember that level of ferocious rain for longer than that I think.

Thoughts turned to the race. This could be farcical if it's like this when I get there. You realise how rare it is to race in rain of any description, which is odd for a country that has a rep for miserable weather.
    At this stage, I'd have snapped the hand off anyone offering up 1)getting there and 2)a 17xx finish.

Thoughts back to actually getting there.
    And the whole M4 part was a nightmare drive.

Due to the conditions, the speed of everyone had eased down massively, and delays were building.

I looked at the route planner and 15miles was still due to take 40mins or so.
    Even at this stage I didn't think about not getting there.

Roll on another 15-20mins, and into central London, and the delays were so bad I now started thinking, I might not get to the race.
    This brought back memories of my bday race in 2009, managing not to find the start of some Oxfordshire race.

Or the 2015 Wycombe half, and misery there.
    Another bday race jinx?

On it went, and suddenly reasons for delays were becoming even more obvious.  A couple of lanes were like swimming pools, and everyone getting into 1 lane.

By now, the sat nav was saying 6.30, which would be tight for a 7.01 start.
    Especially when the last 2miles can be the slowest. If that happened tonight, it would be a killer.

Add in that all of the waves went off in 1min margins between 7 and 7.05, there wasn't even a safety blanket of say going off in the back marker race as the difference was negligible.
    Add in no chip, and basically if you weren't there for 7.05 you were done for.

I started wondering what I'd do if I missed the races. Would I just do my own 5k? Do some 1k reps. Or just pootle a few miles out and drive home, for the most pointless race trip ever :D 

Luckily the last 2miles were quite quick for once and I rolled into the park at about 6.42. Quick phone call from Pete who surprisingly wasn't here like a pro, but was battling even more so to get here.
    Crappest warm up ever, about 2/3mile in Adios, wondering if the still raining, but now not ferocious conditions would make trialling the Next shoes madness or not...

Luckily being Sri Chim the start is about 600m from where I'd parked, and not the Band Stand of the Runthrough events.

Being the 3rd and most likely last time at BP this summer, I thought sod it, got the Next on and marvelled at how nice they felt.

To the start line about 3mins before the off, last min pit stop, and lined up for wave 2.
    Surprised to see Pete pop up about 45secs before I was off, for an even crapper warm up.

Couldn't help thinking I'd already "won" tonight, by getting there and having a race to do!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    About 25 in my wave, and better than the distanced ones.
    But no idea how I'd go.

The recent training has been subject to Dashers sessions, which jump about wildly to be honest. 
    My 5ks this summer have ranged from 17.32 to 17.52 over the 4 main ones - if we rightfully ignore the MT Gosport 18.32 after the mile there.

Off we go, feels fresh and bouncy, and soon settle into a nice flow. Glad to be back to the "proper" route, instead of the odd Runthrough ones starting at the Bandstand.

I had presumed i'd go through 1km faster than 3.32 which seems to have been the norm so far this spring/summer, bar the wild one when I started miles back at Newbury.

Therefore, seeing the first km come up at 3.32 was a surprise.
    I'm used to the first km being a bit wilder in 5ks, rather than being a more even split.

Ignored this, and cracked on, past the Band stand, up that path, and the one awkward bit, the turn left, trying not smash yourself on the pillars, but not go too wide.

Round the bend, and 2km is up soon. Expect this to be slower than the first km, as when do you ever go quicker for the second one?

Tonight it seems... suddenly a 3.25, which is bizarre. Can't imagine that's happened before.

Managed to get a little boxed in, which is odd, after so long not in a proper race with people, and had to remind myself not to settle, to push past.

Always good when you go past the half way marker, and into the last lap. Usual drill, hold on for 2km and know you'll always do the last km quicker.

Past a Fulham guy who had asked on the start line what wave do you go in.
    I told him if you're sub 17 go wave 1, so he kind of shrugged, and did just that....
    The fact I was catching him up 1 lap in when he's gone off a min earlier suggested that was a leeeetle optimistic from him! Caught up with him at the end, and he said he should have been in wave 5. Just :D 

KM3 and 4 slowed a bit from km1, and then the beloved 4km marker came up.

Past a guy in the last straight, and was waiting for the gate to stage a late monster in (relatively speaking)

In for a last 3.25km and in for what will probably round up to    17:38

Probably another to add to the "solid" folder, along with the others this spring/summer, and right in the middle of my other 2 BP's this summer.

In hindsight, probably a 10.5m sunday, a 4 & 2 Tue morn (the 2 being because the organisers had managed to put too little postage on the pack, meaning having to jog to town and back, having by sod's law only realised just after I'd finished the 4) was a little too much mileage to be fresh.

Add in the late night lack of sleep from England, and then the drive/lack of proper warm up, and I suppose none of this was exactly pro build up :D:

On the other hand, maybe this is my 5k level right now, which isn't that bad, but could be a bit better.
    Probably need a return to the specific 5k plan, mixed with lowering the mileage, especially pre race to achieve that.

However, was nice to get another turnout in.

Some madness post race as me and Pete & his pal were going to meet at one of the cafes, but had parked in different carparks. I managed to get lost, despite holding a phone, and we eventually realised the whole park was shut of anything, so just settled for a good 20mins or so of chewing the cud after, which was decent enough.

Like Pete alluded to, I just hope that they got their timing bang on, with a precise 1min in between waves.
    They just have to take 1min off my finish time, which should be doable! But you never know do you. Pete even more concerned as his wave changed!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Choice of 3 races at the weekend, which is a great sign we're coming back to normality very soon. Hopefully these will be the last in the distanced/reduced formats.

Dorney Lake 5k/10k/HM  Runthrough
    Herts 5k/10k      Some Active lot
    Wycombe 10k/HM    Handy Cross Runners.

Will very likely do one of the 3, obviously not the HMs! Have a few days to decide.
    Might be worth seeing if there's one more decent 5k before things change scope the week after.