If the primary target is to lose weight, Morning Runs are better or evening runs with/without food?

I am 35 years old with weight of 62 kgs with height of 5 feet 3 inches resulting to BMI of about 24.2 which is borderline normal. I want to reduce around 5-6 kgs stubborn weight that is too difficult to reduce. I have decided to do so in about 3 months with running.

So kindly suggest some valuable tips for me to achieve my goal.

Should i run in morning or evening?
Should i run on empty stomach?
How much time should i run and with what pace?

Note: Usually i jog about 15 mins in the morning followed by 10 mins brisk walks.

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Given what you want to do you need to look at what you are eating, for example the balance of carbs (and type of carbs), fats and proteins, as well as your exercise. 

Might be worth booking a session with a personal trainer who has taken their nutrition exam and ask them to look at your diet and exercise routine.

What works for one person might not work for you. 

However in basic terms burn more calories than you eat but don't go below your BMR in terms of calorie intake.
  • And how does that work with fasted cardio? Cannot find anything in that one.
  • Hi Cassandra,

I hope the weeks since your post have been filled with happy jogs!

TT is right regarding the weight loss. <div>
    </div><div>However Everyone is different and lead different lifestyles. If you want to be really dialled in, you could look at your calorie expenditure based on your lifestyle, too.

for example, someone of your exact same age, height and weight, eating the same food, doing the same amount of training sessions (running, gym etc..) may actually work a far more physically demanding job than you, thus actually burning even MORE calories during the day, whilst you may work a desk job and find you’re only getting 1000 steps a day in, ultimately leading to a less ‘active’ day. So they’re seemingly passively losing more weight than you, however in your eyes, you seem to be doing the exact same thing! </div><div>
    </div><div>To answer your question, training fasted or in the evening won’t have an effect on your weight loss, however it will have an effect on your energy levels during your run.

My advice would be to try them and see what suits you best.

I would try 4-6 weeks of fasted AM jogs, track your progress - then 4-6 weeks of evening runs, or whatever other time suits your lifestyle. </div><div>
    </div><div>With your morning runs, ensure you’re well hydrated and have some decent food in you from the night before to provide you with the energy. As if you’re having a last meal, say only 2-300 calories around 4-5pm the night before, your body will be craving energy the following morning and might lead to an uncomfortable session. 

</div><div>After a heavy meal, your digestive system will be focusing on digesting the food you have just eaten, so I would wait a comfortable amount of time between and afternoon/evening meal and an afternoon/evening run. This time frame differs for most as our body’s are all different. 
    </div><div>
    </div><div>TLDR; try both and see what works best for you, but meal timing won’t effect weight loss, more so energy levels. </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck and happy running! 😄</div>
  • Hi, I’m new to running but am also doing it to lose weight. For me morning beats the lot, I get up at 5am I run on an empty stomach and just have a smoothie after my walk/run i was 112kg a few Weeks ago and I’m down to 104kg now and running 5 miles. It sets you up for the day and then anything you do on top of the run is a bonus, it’s not easy getting up but when you’ve done it it’s worth it.
  • The best thing for fast loss is whatever you're going to consistently stick to.  Don't worry too much about fasted vs fed... it makes little to no difference if through the course of a day you ate the same

So, if you feel lethargic by running fasted or it's more difficult to summon the energy to do it,  then pick running when you've eaten.  I personally run first thing in the morning because that's my routine,  it just happens to be fasted as I have breakfast when I get back in,  but on hard workout days I get a higher quality session with glycogen onboard.

When weight loss is the goal,  from my experience,  food tracking absolutely everything using myfitnesspal guaranteed the targeted weight loss if I stuck to it, regardless of running (though it helped I was doing a lot and never 'ate back' the calories). I dropped 10kg in 8 weeks last year, age 33, 6'2, going from 90kg to 80kg. When I say tracking everything, literally if I had 3 grapes I was weighing them first. Its pointless if you don't track it all, because like it or not,  you ate it all, so it all makes a difference.

To maximise calorie expenditure,  jog at a more sustainable pace so that you go for longer.  I could do an all out 5k effort sub 18 but be totally spent having only burned maybe 300, but if I do an hour long 10k trail run taking it pretty easy,  it'll be 600-800+ but I'll have a lot less aching the next day to go again. 
  • I agree with Leon and I would look at using something like MyfitnessPal app.. which counts your calories & is free... It will amaze you what you really are eating and how many calories each item is... once you realise what you're eating then it will become so easy to achieve your goal.  I used myfitnesspal and have lost well over a stone.. and I've kept it off very easily down from 12st 8lbs to 11st 4lbs.
    If you are just using running to lose weight and you aren't running more than 30 mins, then there is no need to eat anything in the morning before you run...  or if you do feel lethargic when running then add in a banana before you run.
    I would also try and up the running to 30 minutes from your 15mins & if you could set yourself a goal in a years time of running a 10k race...