Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tough course on a warm evening tonight. We started in groups of 5 based on predicted time. I went in group 2 and initially got dropped but then once the initial frenzy settled I started picking lads off. The first half was pretty fast but I knew it had to be as the 2nd half had a fair bit of climbing whilst first half had some decent downhills. 

Splits went 5.47, 5.46 and 5.43 and through 5k in about 17.45. At about 3.5 you start climbing and there's a 2k persistent climb. I had taken a few places by then and found myself in 6th (though due to the nature of the race someone could have started 3 mins after me but run a minute faster, won't know until results uploaded). 

Splits suffered second half and I was hanging on with what seemed like climb on climb with Splits of 6.06, 6.09 and 6.03. I stopped my watch on 37.10 and 5.56 average pace so as long as the complicated manual timing set up worked (I'm not convinced how spot on it'll be) I'll have a 12 ish second pb. Not the sub 37 I'm chasing but there won't be many other pbs there tonight. 

• Sorry to hear about the injury Jools. Hope it doesn't keep you out for too long.

DT - glad your running experience was better than your football one. 

Definitely fingers crossed that all the positivity about autumn marathons translates into reality. MrsL is doing her first London so really hope that she gets to experience it to the full. 

10 days self-isolation ends today after a catch up with my double jabbed brother who then went down with COVID the following day. Mightily frustrating for a number of reasons although the timing could definitely have been worse  Looking forward to getting out there tomorrow morning. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    DT - that's a fantastic effort given the course and conditions. Amazing to grab a PB - congratulations.
    Lorenzo - very annoying! Lovely day to return to the running.
    Early start for a 20 miler this morning; will soon be setting off in the dark again for long runs :(   Finished just before 7 but too busy to post for a while. Did 5m w/u, 11m easy c. 8:0x/m and 4m @ MPish c. 7:10/m.  
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    DT19: you're getting there race by race.  Soon you'll get better conditions and an easier course, and not just break 37 but smash it.

Thanks for the well wishes.  I'm still not pain free walking and the range of movement is quite restricted, so I suspect it is a grade 2 sprain, which means 6-8 weeks' recovery time.  I'm not writing London off yet (and have even ordered a turbo trainer despite my hatred of cycling because I really don't fancy being in a gym given Bristol's sky-high Covid rates), but am realistic that it has to now be in doubt, and I might have to spend October/November/December trying to run a half-marathon qualifying time for London 2022 instead.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear Jools but there's hope and you'll give it your best shot. I'd give swimming a try too 😉
    Good effort DT DT you'll enjoy smashing a faster time when it comes which is surely not long.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - that's a real shame; hope it works out somehow against the odds.
    11 easy miles off-road this morning - getting hot out there.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good morning miles in the warm temps, Gul. I'm all set with a couple of pals for tomorrow morning's LSR. Leaving early and finding a shady off-road route to mitigate the heat expected.

It was warm last night. Work has been crazy this week so I had to delay again and run late. Session was 8 miles made up of 4 mins effort with 90 sec recoveries, 8 repeats in all with a mile Wup/Cdown at each end.

Efforts varied in pace depending on inclines, traffic, pedestrians wanting me to jump into the road because they can't be bothered to move yet look at me like I'm a virus spreading alien!!! Grrrr!!

Despite feeling more tired as it went on as the heat and humidity drained me, it was a good workout, glad to have done it. Had a beer on the patio later on and fell asleep, so it seems I got myself proper knackered!

Enjoy the sunny weekend, team. More healing vibes to you, Jools.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - sounds like you've had a frustrating week. Hope you have an enjoyable run this morning before it gets too hot.
    11 steady miles this morning with strides.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Cheers, Gul. Left the door at 07.45 and it was already 20 degrees. Met the lads after 2 miles and we hit the canal and some military trails at Deepcut. Lovely route, great pals but I was feeling it. I think the week night sessions took it out if me as well as a stressful work week. Couldn't wait for it to finish, I was boiling! 

Still, 17 Hot miles bagged and I can relax all day in the garden. 

What's that you say? Cold beer? Don't mind if I do!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - I should think you were ready for a cold beer. Hope work is less manic this week.
    6 recovery miles this morning to make 84 for the week.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Amazing weekly total there, Gul.

5 mile very hot recovery run here to chalk 46 for the week. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oh no, Jools. Hope it's not as bad as you fear! 

Lorenzo, you're a better man than the chancellor and PM just getting you're head down and doing the time. A complete illustration if how little handle they have on public sentiment trying to dodge it with this pilot bull! 

Some solid runs in there Gul and gdawg and solid weekly totals. 

37.11 was my official time Wednesday and 8th place so 11s pb. In the county champs (the race incorporated the Worcestershire 10k champs) I came 6th but did bag v40 silver, unknowingly missing out on gold in a sprint finish with the guy I'd gone shoulder to shoulder with for second half. Should get a medal through for that in next week or so. We also got team silver (first 3 to score) so ought to get one for that as well. 

Recovered pretty well with some easy runs and spin. Today then was a bug run. 8m easy followed by 2 x 4m at mp off 1m then 1m cd. Spent yesterday dreading it but got up and out 'early' at 8.30. First 8m were nice and easy and quite cool. It was about 9.45 when I started the session and first 4m passed ok at 6.29mm average. I think the 1m easy was more obstructive than helpful however and began to feel really hot. By the time I started the second 4 it was up to 25c and very little shade to run in. I was wishing I'd hidden some water on the route last night. Anyway, I got on with it and nudged pace along so that block averaged 6.23mm. I was spitting feathers by the end but job done pretty well with a 1m cd for 18 in total. That'll be a run which will be much easier when it's 10c so pleased to do it well when it's 25c. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Well done on the county medals DT - so close to the gold.  You did well to complete the quality sections of the LR given the temperature.  Other than Bedford, when's the next race in the diary?

Good 17 LR given the conditions G-D.

Some good quality runs for the week Gul - the fast finish on the 20 was good work - and a big total.  When's your next race?

Hope you enjoyed your post isolation run Lorenzo.  I've not had to isolate yet but given I can do a 10 mile run from door to door without coming within 100 metres of anyone I would be tempted to keep running.

Hope the ankle is not as bad as your fear Jools.  Zwift is useful for the turbo if you haven't come across it yet.

Managed to set off for the LR at 7am after a 5am breakfast.  I was feeling virtuous until I realised that Gul would have finished a 20 mile run by this time.  I'm not a morning person but I was grateful of the early start when I finished with the temperature up to 25C.  A steady 22 miles, wilting towards the end in the heat, at an average 7:38/m.  Brings up 83 for the week.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Our garage has neither electricity nor WiFi, so I won't be joining Zwift (we live in a cottage, so no room inside, either: those early 19th century folk just didn't plan ahead!). Mr J and I went for a swim at Clevedon marine lake today, and if the ankle copes ok with cycling next week I will try to cycle there and back: as it's over an hour each way by bike it would make a reasonable long run substitute. I have invested in wireless headphones so that I can listen to music/podcasts on the turbo. The range of movement is improving. I'm still realistic that as walking up and down stairs still isn't pain free I'm not likely to do London, but won't abandon hope just yet. Alternatively, my back up place at Dorney might get changed to a half marathon instead! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, I was feeling virtuous having a 7.30 breakfast for an 8.30 Start. In the main though it was a maurten 320 drink. 

Well done on getting a 22 in.  I'm a bit off that yet. 

Though I'm pleased to say I'm completely untouched by today's run. Skipping around the house like I haven't run today. 

Nothing booked in between now and London. I'll probably find time for a parkrun then I need to decide what to race early September as a pre London tester. Lewis has said about a half but quite frankly I've run a half time I'm delighted with this year, but despite running 2 x 10k pbs I feel unsatisfied by what I've achieved so my eye is on a flat and fast 10k. 

Hoping this weather drops off for next Sunday now. Tonight is oppresively warm, hot and absolutely no breeze. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - congrats on the bling. Well done too on the long run in the heat with some good pace.
    SBD - great 22 miler; wondering when I will do mine this week. Going to be a very early start. My next race is a 10k on 22nd Aug.
    If you both want to avoid the worst of the heat then get straight and have breakfast when you get back :)
    Jools - good to hear your keeping positive and movement is improving.
    15 miles this morning. 4 w/u, 4 @ 8:2x and 7 @ 7:2x.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had an easy 40m week with 10 on Sunday- mainly due to a holiday and a few niggles. I've got a 5k race on Thursday and back to parkrun on Saturday.
    Massive miles there Gul. And glad the ankle is improving Jools, hope you can run soon.
    Great long run SBD, I need to get one in this week.
    Loving the image of DT skipping round the house 😆
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - hope the niggles have gone now. I expect you're looking forward to parkrun returning.
    I didn't wake up early enough for my long run today, so decided to do this week's LT run instead. 12 miles with 2x3M. Came out at 6:22, 6:20, 6:19 and 6:23, 6:30, 6:28.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    How on earth can you hit that pace so early in the morning, Gul?

9 easy miles on the trails for me "first thing" and I was absolutely soaked through with sweat at the end.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Followed by 4 tonight run as a Strides session. Man, that was hot!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul for an older chap you are quite a phenomenon- running so early, so far and so fast.
    I trained with Keswick AC  tonight my 2nd claim club. Those boys like their off road so definitely out of my comfort zone.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - too hot for me.
    OO - good off road session.
    Snail like recovery run this morning - 6 miles. Early in the morning always seemed like a logical time to run to me, straight after a good rest. Certainly at the moment there's no way I could go out later in this heat!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Many races over the summer are very hot, including marathons. So the the only care point is that to race hot you have to train hot. The odd sweatfest is a necessary evil 😪
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I was thinking similar this morning, OO. Out again for a steady 8 miler, it was boiling again, not as bad as last night's 30 degree furnace but still low twenties. I didn't push the pace but instead thought that the heat training will be of benefit come October when it should be cooler on race day, unlike 2018 when we trained in freezing conditions and then all of a sudden, race day was the hottest London ever.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Yes, you've found a major flaw in my training plan :)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    22 miles this morning. Haven't had time to check the stats but averaged 7:34/m.
    So 4w/u, 13@7:16 & 5w/d.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I've been getting through it this week, tough feeling quite drained in the heat.

Some cracking and quite significant runs there, Gul!

I did duck my 6 x 1m session yesterday though as it was 30c over            lunchtime so I took it to the treadmill. Never quite as effective, but then with a race on sunday I didn't really want to over extend myself yesterday.

Sunday may work out well, coming straight off a period of very hot weather training, turning up at a race in pretty cool weather, with the current forecast being 17c, cloudy, rain showers and pretty still. Perfect racing conditions in terms of as much as you can ask for late July!

Will just tick over next few days with some easy miles.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice one, DT, hopefully you're right and you can capitalise on the cooler conditions. Good luck!

Another hot one for me yesterday, just 8 miles steady and sweaty before work. Later in the early evening I went to the lake for my first open water swim in 2 years. Felt great to be back in the water and was pleasantly surprised to knock out an easy mile without getting tired.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear about your swim G Dawg, you know I'm a big fan 😉
    I ran the Sunderland 5k in 17:21 tonight, an unexpected vet PB on a  notoriously fast course. Very pleased with that, being my first proper road race since lockdowns. Might have smashed my legs for parkrun though 😉
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - yes, the weather doesn't look too bad on Sunday as long as you don't get struck by lightning. Good luck to SBD too.
    GD - must have been good to cool off with a swim.
    OO - woohoo, that's great. Well done :)
    10 slow miles this morning.