Sub 3h15

Comments

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    That's a great result OO - a well earned vet PB.  What's your pre-vet PB?  And what do you put the result down to - more focused speed work on the track? 

Some excellent sessions this week Gul.  Good speed on those LT miles and an impressive 22 miler.  How's the LT pace compare with the same stage pre-Boston?

Good water work G-D.

Wise to back off a little in the heat DT.

A tough couple of days in the heat for me.  Bailed out of the tempo session on Tuesday evening after 6K of a planned 10K and had a pretty lethargic 15 mile MLR Wednesday morning.  Looking forward to a steady 13 miles in the cooler conditions tonight.

I thought it was looking a bit windy at Bedford and the temperature could creep up to 20C by the time I finish!  I'm also feeling somewhat race unfit after a few too many barbeques and accompanying beers!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD- BBC app for Thurleigh at 10am says 19c, heavy cloud, possible showers and 10mph wind. It was at 6mph yesterday. I always take a wind forecast of 10mph or less as ideal. 20c in wet and cloudy conditions isn't like 20c in glorious sunshine. It's late July, and given the recent weather I feel like I've dodged a bullet with that forecast. For me if I can manage the plan in 20c, come October, setting aside the extra training, it'll be about 10c cooler.

Since Euros started easing off my drinking and eating has as well so I've had a pretty decent 3 weeks now and weight back down to1lb above Dorney weight.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not sure I ever ran a 5k before parkrun SBD so probs a lifetime PB too. It comes on the back of some decent speedwork and track racing. I'd also mention swimming, weight loss (11 stone 7 is my lightest since teens), and of course next% shoes which got their 2nd outing. Mara training has been a blown of course a bit so I need to get some focus back on that too 🤔
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, sorry I missed your previous post about your 5k. That's a fantastic time and performance. I am only surprised looking on the runbritain rankings for the v55 cat that you aren't much further up than about 20th with that time!

Bodes well if you can focus on some mara training over August/September.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes some nippy old boys about DT. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - I'm sure you'll fare much better tomorrow when it's cooler. I didn't do much LT work before Boston, but last year did a few which averaged around 6:30-40 which is comparable to this year when I didn't split them into two blocks as I did this week. 
    DT - not too windy according to the forecast - looking good :)
    OO - enjoy parkrun today. 
    11 easy off-road miles 

• Fab to be back parkrunning today - despite some overnight thunder (no rain), it was still a bit muggy and our local course (Mole Valley) is both beautiful and hilly as you run round and through the vineyard. Reasonably happy with 21:21 which is my 4th fastest out of 17 runs on the course - tough on the uphill bits though. Elder Lorenzito managed a close to 4 minute PB in his local parkrun in Manchester so was super chuffed with that.

Looks like you had a decent run this morning OO?

Anywhere else out smashing a 5K this morning?

Good midweek running from you Gul - did you just have a quick shower and then head off to work?!

Won't be too much running from me over the next few weeks as MrsL and I are doing the Coast to Coast walk from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay. It's been on our hitlist for a while, and with the uncertainty about foreign holidays this year, it seemed an ideal opportunity. We're not quite hardcore in that we'll be staying in B&Bs en route rather than camping but we also want to take it relatively easy and enjoy it. 

What are your Lake District plans this summer OO?

Good luck to the racers tomorrow.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    +1 for Parkrun. Great to be back, big turnout this morning, I got round without significant pain in a surprising 25.53. Woohoo!  Lorenzo if your lad has transport, there are some good rural PRs close to Manchester. Lyme Park is worth a go, it must be one the hardest.
  • Great to hear you were (almost) pain free Poacher - where's your local parkrun now? Will pass on the recommendation to elder Lorenzito. He's not got a car, but he could well be tempted to cycle over to Lyme Park from Didsbury.

Just over a thousand happy parkrunners at Bushy Park this morning by the looks of the footage: https://twitter.com/i/status/1418848857258082316
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I run Marple usually, sometimes Glossop. But Bramhall and Woodbank would be closer to Manc. 4min is a mind boggling PB too. Good effort. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Poacher and Lorenzo- 2 absolute heroes. Glad to hear you made it to the parkrun party.
    Yes I had a flyer at my local with a 17:41. Struggling to explain this current run of form but certainly going well at the moment. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Rocket fuel OO. Not bad for an old geezer. Can’t imagine how you are performing so excellently 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Nice surprise this morning - Lorenzo, Poacher and OO posted yesterday. Feel like I'm in a time warp!
    Enjoy the coast to coast walk with Mrs L.,  Lorenzo. We're heading up to Staithes in Sep for a weekend break. Well done to elder L. I'm still working from home so usual routine after my run is shower, breakfast and clear up before heading to the study.
    Poacher - great parkrun; sounds like you're still on for London :) Glossop sounds like it could be a tough parkrun.
    OO - that's a cracking parkrun to follow your 5k PB.
    No parkrun for me (over 300 at KL yesterday) as I finally got round to sorting my old shed out which inevitably involved putting more shelving up. 6 mile recovery run this morning to make 82 for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Another monster mileage week Gul don't know how your body copes.
    Lorenzo message me any Lake District plans and I'll try to get over if poss.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    OO - got some holiday coming up at the end of August, so that will give me a bit of recovery time.
    Looking forward to hearing how the Bedford guys  get on this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I added a slow 20m today for a 56 weekly total. It's a relief to get my 2nd long one in as my marathon training is very unstructured at the moment.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Another cracking 5k, oo. I'd be very pleased if I could run that in a couple of weeks when I get to a parkrun. 

Solid week, gul.

I had a pleasant enough morning. Plan was to run first half at 6.30mm then second half at 6.20 to end up with sub 2.50 pace. If course this could all go belly up as no taper or carb load or proper long runs, with just last weeks 18 and a 17 a few weeks ago being only runs of note. 

First half was a battle to keep a lid on the pace, 6.30mm just seemed too easy and my hr agreed. Went through half way in 64.30 or 6.27mm. 

Started to ease off the holding back and just settled into 6.10-6.20 pace with a 6.19, 6.18, 6.22, 6.16, 6.13, 6.15, 6.11, 6.09, 6.14, 6.07 then 5.51 for final 0.14 my GPS over measured. Second half came in at 63.04 at 2.07.34 overall and 6.20mm. A 9 minute pb over that distance. 

Average hr was 158bpm, Dorney it was 165bpm. I'm pretty confident that had I set off running a marathon I'd have maintained that sort of pace based on how I felt at 20m, which is backed by hr data. 

So, all in all, pleased to run at 2.46 pace over 20m for what did genuinely feel like a controlled mara effort. With 10 weeks of proper mara training to come, all looks well. It's certainly clear I'm in better shape than Dorney in early April. 

Good to meet SBD afterwards as well for a chat. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Excellent pace PB, I've never been within 8 mins of that racing flat out 😳
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good to catch up with you at Bedford DT.  That's an excellent run by you, nicely controlled and a tasty pace for the last 10 miles.  And the 9 minute PB is not to be taken lightly!  All bodes well for London which should be worth a few minutes on today notwithstanding the additional training.

Excellent work on the 20 miler OO.  What weight were you when you ran York in 2019?  And do you think the Next% 2 are faster than the VP?

Another big mileage week Gul.  Are you not planning any HMs in the near future?

Good to see Lorenzo and Poacher at the Park Run restarts.

Major achievement for me today was not being passed by DT!  The plan was for 13 miles at MP after the 5 mile warm up.  Felt I'd started a little quick but the first 1K was a pedestrian 4:15.  Picked it up from there to finish in 1:26:32.  Splits varied with the wind, which was stronger than I would have liked, between 4:00 and 4:13, but pretty much even effort over the distance.  Felt like I was working a little harder than marathon effort but the HR at 160 was a good 5 beats below - very bizarre.  Finished in 25th place and first in category but sadly, I think, no prize!  Two mile warm down on the baby track to give 20 for the day and 82 for the week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well run DT, shaping up well for vlm. You finished strongly, the lack of long runs doesnt matter so much for an approx 2hr race, plus you weren't on the rivet. The jump from 20 to 26 needs them as the last 10k of that is on tired legs from 20m already.

Well done SBD, shaping up well too. No AG winners prizes from runthrough (if it was them), as theyd owe me 2 or 3.

Well done on the evening 5k OO, good for us old guys to keep the legs rotating quickly. Although even a 10k is rare for me. Im sure the recent track racing has payed off for you.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd,  I didn't mention the wind but being an airfield it was certainly noticeable. It certainly affected my split times with the 6.22 and 6.14 miles in context standing out. I stuck with effort not pace so happy enough to see it bounce a 

I also was first in age but covid seems to have provided a reason to organisers not to bother with prizes. Same with my half in May, no prizes. 

You'd certainly be faster with better runners. But we'll done on your run. Remember come london/Berlin,  it'll almost certainly be cooler and stiller.

I can't believe that London is just 10 weeks today. As much as anything I'm really looking forward to catching up with you guys and meeting the remaining few here I'm yet to meet. Gul, jools, TR I think? 

Tr, yes I agree, it's just two hours of running and I've read enough tales of great marathons that fell apart at 20 miles.  I didn't really even worry too much about gels. I got a better boost off 100mg revvies. Worth looking at for those that haven't tried them. It doesn't take much after 20 ruin a great marathon, but I felt in control.  I'm also 1kg heavier than Dorney but I guess that isn't hugely consequential but if I get to London 1kg lighter that's suddenly a 2k swing. 

Just watching the Olympic triathlon, having had my pb champagne and some beers, as they about to move to the 10k run. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - yes, good to get another 20 miler in the bag 
    DT - stunning run there - you are looking on tip top form.
    SBD - very strong MP run and well done picking up 1st place in category even if there was no prize. No HM planned for me at the moment. I will do this week's 20/12@MP solo as usual.
    TR - how are you doing? Will you be racing in London if it goes ahead?
    Replaced this morning's strides with 6x1k(ish) reps. Did 3:48, 3:45, 3:41, 3:41, 3:43, 3:43. 11 miles in all.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great running this weekend, everyone. More great pace from DT and impressive miles from SBD and Gul again. Really pleased to see Poacher running almost pain free.

Got out for an easy 5 on Friday to freshen the legs in prep for Saturday which was a 21 mile LSR. Anxious before the run again but maybe that was due to it being my longest run since New York marathon in 2019. Nice run in the end with the second half all along the Thames and then onto the canals. Very consistent on pace.

5 mile recovery yesterday brought up 53 and the biggest week for over a year. In fact, just checked the spreadsheet, that's my biggest week ever. Blimey! An average next few days should deliver my biggest ever monthly total.  
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great results, guys, especially DT.

Still no running for me, so London is looking a bit uncertain. Hoping I can jog later this week, but also conscious of the risks of trying to come back too soon and ending up with a compensation injury elsewhere...
  • edited July 2021
    Congrats DT - an excellent run. 

Top notch from SBD as well. 

Gul - nice consistency with those reps, especially in the middle of an 11 miler. 

Doesn't sound great Jools - are you able to defer your place to next April?

Modest mileage (40 ish) last week and one last 5 miler in the North Yorks sunshine this morning before heading to St Bees for the start of the Coast to Coast. 

OO - we're going to be staying in Rosthwaite on Weds night and Patterdale on Thursday
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    We'll be in Keswick Wednesday Lorenzo getting some carpets fitted, but will leave late PM. If u r around Keswick Wednesday pm feel free to call by or message me. In any case I hope you r lucky with the weather. 🌞

That doesn't sound great Jools, hope things improve quicker than you fear.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I don't think I can defer as my qualifying time expires this year. I'll just have to run a 1.27.xx half in November or December. A friend is in the same boat, so I should have company!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - youre going well, keep at it. Good one on the PB booze up.

Dawg - you're putting too much pressure on yourself, probably why you run so fast so often. Theres a ceetain amount of trepidation to be had before some of the mp or LT runs, but try to remember even on those sessions its the effort that counts on any given day. Try to take moat runs as they come, and enjoy just running. Maybe leave your watch at home and juat run a known route, or set yourself a time to be slower than.

Gul - i struggled to get going again after the goodwood april mara but the last 10m were tough. Was going to do another goodwood mara a few weeks back, but i wasn't quite on it and it was going to be stupidly humid so  i did the 1/2. For some reason i couldnt really smash it and was fine the next day and just carried on as normal. Starting to feel fitter now........i have deferred vlm and Brighton places, i also have a Brighton park and ride place so am tempted to do both, but i accept one will ruin the other with 3 wks between them. Will mull it over.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes I have a friend in exactly the same boat Jools. He's also looking to requalify with a half 🤞
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - good long run off-road and big miles.
    Jools - sorry to hear that - best to err on the side of caution.
    Lorenzo - would be great to do the coast to coast one day. Hope you have a lovely time.
    TR - hope you're on fine form come the autumn.
    14 slow/easy miles off road this morning on the marsh/farm tracks.