Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs - great to see you, and hear from you on here again - don't be a stranger!
    And you're probably right at the 50m thing, it's probably more the 100m on the run in to the set off point.

SC - he was there, so every chance you met 

Reg - just as well you didn't sign up, and then turn up at Wasing Park! Can you imagine  :o  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    ps rest day 3
    Had a little walk in the woods fairly decent legs last evening, but then on the downhills the quads remembered...
    Bit of a tickly throat as well, so definitely a bit run down/fatigued here.

As I'm normally so relentless with 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year, year on year, I will definitely force myself to take this little bit of downtime now. Simply nothing to be gained from rushing back, without anything at all planned on the agenda yet.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Bit wheezy again. Fungal mould apparently - in muggy thundery showery weather its quite bad apparently. Looking forward to a very windy 1500m at Bedford tonight in the Eastern Masters.....

Not.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Fungal mould?

My first track session since Sep-19. Felt a bit tired on the ride over and even more so on the warm-up but wasn't too bad once we got going. There was even a youngster there to offer a bit of competition which helped a lot.

400s was the order of the day, I did 10. Opener felt a bit rusty although I was pleasantly surprised with a 78 but then I loosened up a little as the next one came out at 76 and kept it fairly consistent with a 75,76,75 before daring to push a little harder finishing 74,73,70,70. 

I am pretty pleased with that considering I do no speed work whatsoever. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If those are off 60secs that's a heck of a progression there Reg.

I think you'll find the "classic" way to do reps is to goose yourself early doors, and be crying holding on late doors :D 

Back in the game for me. Left it at 3 days total rest, and just easing back in with a 3miler for the morning.
    Little tight calves and quads as it got going, and just under 8min miling, feeling hungry, but I think you need to take a post Endure recovery a bit like it's a marathon recovery to be honest.

Nothing to be gained from pushing on too quickly this week. 20-25miles will be plenty.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    We were given 90 seconds recoveries, I think I am too old and creaky to start off too fast  :D 

Must be hard doing the recovery week for someone who's so consistent!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yeah anything fungal sounds dodgy...bit sunnier and breezier today. Decent 400's there, luxury recovery though ;) 

Eastern masters last night. 3rd in 4.22, awful run - breezy and nothing in the chest or legs sadly. Nothing more to add.

World masters in Tampere, Finland next year. I'm 50 on 30th June. Start of competition? 29th June. Thats that then. No point going as i'd have to compete as a V45! Great way to end the day yesterday...
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    A second pair of Dragonflys, SC? You are definitely fast enough to warrant them! How long do they tend to last? Great stuff on the family parkrun. Fungal mould doesn’t sound great. 

That is a small but nice sounding parkrun, Pete. Good time as well - even more impressed now I realise your age. And brilliant work on the first place!

Enjoyed the photos, SG. Hadn’t realised what a festival vibe it seems to have. I’ve never been to a full on festival (sorry, Jools), but reckon this could be ideal. Some rapid laps there - very impressed they continued even well after the first couple. Bet it was good to scope the course a couple of times before the night shift. Impressed with the IT side of things as well. An unexpected, but I guess good, challenge that running faster than planned means less rest for your buddies! A deservedly epic report for a massive stint from you and your team. Absolutely great going and well done on the win! 

Impressively fast 15M/three laps straight, Dachs. 

Good luck with the move, Bus. And well organised on some lovely off road running routes on the doorstep!

Reg: ‘underwater breastroke/caterpillar dance’ 😆. Nice one on the track session today. 

Seem to be in a rhythm of peaks and troughs with each training week. Whilst not ‘usual’ training plan-style, seems to be going ok.

After last week’s Wednesday race, headed out super early doors for a first 20M of the campaign. Lovely to run at sunrise and clocked a steady set of 7:30s on a pretty hilly route (290m ascent). A return to parkrun the following day, just taking it easy. That said, the new course is more scenic, but much more challenging - will be especially so with the buggy this week. 

A quiet few days whilst away again, before a second BAC-style session yesterday. 3.5M jog to the track and back, with a planned session of 12 mins tempo, 5 x 2 mins hard, 12 mins tempo (2 min jog recoveries). Did some rough conversions for a tortoise like me and settled on 3k, 5 x 500m, 3k, all of 400 jogs. Completely different kind of session to recent times and really enjoyable. Held 6:30s (1:37 laps) for the tempo (track timing rather than the more generous GPS), then 5:58 (1:28-9 laps) for the hard and 6:30s again for the last chunk. All in, 14M at 6:58 on the watch, although this is probably slightly flattering. Wore the Adios, and my god did my calves know about it this morning!

3M super easy buggy shakeout early doors (9:40 pace or something ridiculous), then a further 7M again with buggy at lunch time at a more sensible 8:40s. 

Definitely in the zone of getting in miles wherever possible, and it seems to be working. Trusting the process and seeing some incremental fitness gains.

Planning on another long one tomorrow morning with a couple of MP chunks, before a quieter weekend. 

As it is my birthday month, I tried to use the Nike birthday discount to reduced a pair of NExt%2 - but got told they wren’t available for this as they were customised. Annoyed as can’t see anything else that I am actually willing to pay. What is the best value super-shoe others would recommend?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's certainly a long sesh SQ...last thing I can imagine doing right now. Oddly, having done 30miles at the weekend!

There's a 15% code you can get with sportsshoes if you subscribe to trail running mag's newsletter.
    That got me the Next originals for about £178

Reg - surprisingly easy taking 3 days off!

5miles today, 7.30 for my out and back on a slight incline to a local hood and back down.
    I'd probably be turning that over maybe 7.20 usually, so i'm a bit off, but nothing too bad.

Noticeable that the tightnesses didn't rear until a bit later, and not as much.
    So i'm seeing it out.

A couple of our team won the Windle relays last night, pairs doing 5x1km each.
    How they can run so hard so quick I do not know.

Not like they're younguns either, at around 43 and 46!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Jumbo sesh there SQ; well done for seeing that one out and having the mental resolve for so many solo track laps. 

SG, I was in our Windle relays last night paired with my daughter. She went off first so got to watch leg 1 and Rob F came back first in pretty much 3 mins. The 1k lap is all off road, muddy in places with a narrow sharp turn you have to slow right down for. Obvs he had a clear run on lap 1 but he would also have had loads of 'traffic' all the other 4. He told me after he did the 5k collectively in just over 16 mins😮. Phenomenal 4 days post Endure and Dave Lee about the same speed too. 

Holly and I were about 25th which is ok in the field of about 100 pairs. She is just back from quite a long term injury, so did well to knock out about 24 mins for 5x1k and I was a bit over 19 for my 5. I see your club has its copy cat event soon; may enter that if the date works (not looked yet). 
  • I'm currently out with an injury.

It appears to be the same I had in 2018, so no sign of anything untoward and I went out on Friday 16th July and did a 7 up and down the Thames around Cookham and it looked like a run-of-the-mill run. The next day,  I went upstream from Marlow with a sort of plan to do 5 up and 5 back but my legs felt tight and wouldn't shake out so I cut it short to 2 up and 2 back (saw that Ricky Gervais on the way back). Took a day off on Sunday and cut the lawn and a very gentle 5 on Monday but it got worse. It is my ITB that is tight and moves my knee to the side.

I rested for a week and was up in The Peak District last week and did a 15 mile hike on Tuesday and a couple of hikes on Wednesday for a total of about 10 miles and thought it was better and went out Friday for a tester and the band went ping. I'm sure nothing has ruptured, not enough pain in any way for that to have happened, so back to resting and seeing what happens. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed Philip - doesn't sound good, but old tendons and stuff do funny things sometimes! 

My own hamstring thing came back end of last week and Friday's run was abandoned after 0.3M!  Managed a very easy LSR today though after some rest, though it was painful over the last mile.

Even more terminal though - charged my Garmin after the run as usual. Went to unplug it about half hour later and it was roasting hot and now the screen won't come on whatever I try! As the last 5 miles was in heavy rain, I suspect a bit of water on the charging contacts were to blame, but an expensive lesson!

Looking at a 245 over the current dead 235. Any thoughts out there? 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Feeling it in the same region right now Phil.

Just got a 10miler in down the Thames path from Maidenhead, but could feel it tight from a while before half way. Seemed to loosen a little for the last 2 miles, but yes, never great when it's something "new-ish" feeling is it?

Hopefully it bores off for the pair of us soon.

Have felt a few bits tight since Endure. Achilles/calves, quads, and now ITB sort of region side and above knee.
    Hopefully just seeing out the quite unusual nature of the event.

So that was a bit of discomfort, but if yours is pain Bus, and stopping you on runs, not good at all.

Can't go wrong with garmins whichever one you get. Mine is still the 235. If that's cheaper than the 245,. maybe get another of those?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Only a tenner difference. The HRM is supposed to be better on the 245, it has an extra data screen (I think!) and a slightly better display - just wondering if there are any downsides?

I am going to try to get Garmin to replace it first though :smile:  Just means nothing to record runs on until its sorted though other than the phone....
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Bus: Hopefully the hamstring is a minor setback this time.
    Wendover sounds a good move. Are you in a flat now?
    Go for the 645M - only £200 from Wiggle or Argos (RRP of £349 iirc)
    I got one for my birthday a year ago & it’s been fab. Love plotting routes on it for new adventures. I’ve not used the M capability at all but I know you like to listen to music/podcasts whilst running. The battery life is excellent: over 8hrs with HRM strap & navigation on. Charges on the go too.
    SG: epic Endure result & report. Says something when a runner of your calibre is the slowest. Impressive vets at Dashers.
    PMJ: bad luck. You’ve been going well. Best wishes for a brief benching.
    Been away for a couple of weeks. Ran every day but nothing special other than a return to parkrun on the 24th & a mountain adventure yesterday.
    (Frome) Old Showfield parkrun was my latest new venue. 3 & 3/4 laps of rolling tarmac with several tight bends meant it wasn’t the fastest venue but better than most. Pleased with 19:29 & 7th place after a late night boozing on Friday whilst camping nearby.
    Yesterday a couple of mates & I ran the Welsh 3000s which starts on top of Snowdon then crosses the National Park summitting each of the 15 3,000’ peaks in about 26 miles. With the run up Snowdon & the descent from Foel Fras at the end it came to 34 miles & about 13,000’ 
    These pics give a flavour of the challenge.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Jools - keep telling myself I'll get round to doing the Welsh 3000s one day!

Yeah, just noticed the 645 music version is bizarrely cheaper than the 245 on Wiggle and Amazon at the moment. Not sure I need the music bit, given I always have my phone, but as its £10 cheaper with, then why not?  It also has a barometric altimeter whihc will be helpful, as well as a thermometer for sheer geekery! Will see if Garmin will help first though....
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Epic adventures as usual Jools, well done.

I've had the Garmin Fenix 3 for about 5-6 years now and it's been bullet proof. I am about to move on to my 4th strap however. I haven't yet seen enough advancement to warrant getting a new model. I would consider getting something lighter/slimmer.

Hope those with ailments recover quickly, predictably I had some hamstring soreness after the track session but did manage a slow one yesterday. No issues on the bike though and rode over to Box Hill in a group of four, enjoyed that, 90 miles at a decent speed, dodged most of the rain too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's ever so slightly moving away from running there Jools, into some sort of mountaineering/climbing fare! Can only imagine what the average pace was on some of that!

The garmin 235 has a superb strap. Not something I'd particularly mention in general, but so much better than the earlier garmins that had a rock hard strap that had a tendency to split, and eventually snap off. And was an absolute menace to try and get a new one in (for a practical incompetent like me)

Just a morn 4 for me, and then same at lunch.
    Runs are coming out around 7.30-7.35 at the moment, so i'm clearly still feeling the endure a little, and most probably running slightly off usual gait due to this slightly tight ITB.
    Will just aim at increasing last week's 30 this week, nothing particularly fast until it's right.
  • Jooligan said:

Yesterday a couple of mates & I ran the Welsh 3000s which starts on top of Snowdon then crosses the National Park summitting each of the 15 3,000’ peaks in about 26 miles. With the run up Snowdon & the descent from Foel Fras at the end it came to 34 miles & about 13,000’ 
    I did the Welsh 3000's but it was over 30 years ago. Did it as a hike rather than a run and weather and daylight are big factors. I tried to do it a few times in the winter (as we were generally in Snowdonia for the week starting after Christmas and through the New Year) but we kept on coming up short. Eventually tried a summer effort so hitch-hiked from Brighton to Snowdonia on Friday night, climbed Snowdon in the dark and camped out on top near the railway station. As soon as it was daylight we headed off and got round by late afternoon in relative ease. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    LOl - the 235 does have a great strap - mine has now outlasted the watch itself :smiley:
  • Looked Interesting Jools. Explorer type stuff, i'd rather just walk it tbh!

SQ - Got 3 pairs of the super spikes now, the Air Zoom Victory were a bit underwhelming on Wednesday, but I was a bit flat anyway tbh..Should stop me having to buy any for a few years at least. Training looks to be going well now.

Best of luck to our injured peeps, PMJ, Bus and possibly SG.

Not a bad weekend, ran the hilly 7 miles to Dunstable Downs to do the parkrun. Our house is 100m ASL, DD is 243m, so a bit of climbing. Thought I'd give it a blast and came in first in 18.17. Had to run through some sheep and managed to move them into the middle field! All good fun and the missus was first woman..first time we've done that. The kid was happy as he did 25.35 and ran on his own all the way for the first time.

11.5 yesterday and 9 this morning too. Feeling a little less wheezy too
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Just found out the 645 battery life is not great - just in case I do ever get round to doing any epics!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus, we need to get you doing a "standard" first, let alone an epic :D 

Trying to work out what ASL is there Simon. Last time I heard that was about 20+ years ago meaning Age, sex location!
    Thought there must be something going on for you to be 18min plussing a 5k!

Couple of 4s for me today. Bit tight, but not that bad? Just feels a little weak, so will tread carefully.

Finally had my Gosport pots turn up from about 6 weeks ago.
    Decent. Much better than the vouchers and I think wine from the previous time!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice trophies!

As for epics - nothing running wise, but there'll be a few hill walks to come this year that will test the battery life of the 645.

There's a new Forerunner 55 as well, whihc does much of what the 245 will do but is cheaper!

So many flipping choices that I'll never get round to making a decision!!!!

Might just dig the old 310XT out and get used to having one arm heavier than the other again :smile:
  • Thanks for the sportsshoes heads up, SG. Have ordered the same as you. 

Pete the paired relays sound fun. 

That’s a ball ache, PMJ (and SG). No doubt you’ll find a route that works for you. A Strength Running ITB video helped me, as well as some painful massage then my glutes on a hockey ball. 

Crib Goch looks a bit tasty in those conditions, Jools! Epic adventures as always. 

Bus - I’d also recommend something with mapping features. I use it (within a running app) on the Apple Watch and it is so good when following a new route. Or even the breadcrumb path if wanting to retrace steps. 

First married couple must be a rare feat, SC. 

First 70M week in a long time, bolstered by a few very easy recovery doubles (some buggy, all 9m/m+), but also a second 20M of the campaign. Calves still very stiff at this point, and the entirety of the water cycle seemed to unleash itself upon me. So never going to be fast. 7:30 average even including 3 x 15 min steadier efforts. Definitely character building! 

Easy weekend before kicking things off with a 7 this morn with strides and 3 up on the hill this afternoon. Lovely to get the expansive views. 

• Just in case anyone interested. The proper fast 5k road Battersea meet ‘under the lights’ Thursday 16/9. 

https://data.opentrack.run/en-gb/x/2021/GBR/bat5k3/
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I overcame the 645 battery life by carrying my charging lead & a Pebble smartstick. I charged it every time we stopped to eat & the battery was still on 30% at the end of a 12hr day. It also charges whilst running.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jools - that's handy to know.

Biy of a moot point though -another abandonment due to hamstring flare up this morning. It was going ok, with just a bit of discomfort, but bent down to tie my lace, got up and couldn't then run without a lot of pain....

Couple of days off now I think to try and let it settle - hopefully!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC - Had written a cheeky little response, but instead i'll say clearly you didn't check the required times to enter that race :D 
    Maybe I could have pushed my luck in 2018 when sub 17, but certainly not right now!

And i'm not sure anyone else who has posted on here in the last few months is currently anywhere near that mix either?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bad one Bus. That hamstring is really becoming a ...(avoids pain in the ass gag) real hassle now ain't it.

I got a decent 6 off, took a little longer to get tight today, with just the last mile a bit untoward.

I've dug the foam roller out and am giving the quads a good working over, as I was getting a bit of tightness there PRE Endure anyway, and also giving the ITB type area a going over. No idea if that actually does anything, but I think I can feel the quad bit is doing something decent.

Will keep up more traditional stretches too, and hopefully between the two it gets back to usual.