Options

Who should I see?

Hi all,

After some advice if possible? So... I am a big stocky lad, but I used to run quite a bit... back in 2018 I was comfortable doing 5km's, 10km's, and up to 11.8 miles. I wasn't the fastest, but I was consistent.
Roll around December 2019, I start a charity challenge on the 1st. One mile in, I get a really painful jarring pain in my back after 1.5m. I rest a day, and go again the next day, same again... I gave myself December off with the plan to go again in January 2020, thinking something had been up that would heal.

Unfortunately due to a family bereavement in Jan, I didn't get out again, and that went onto Feb, then March, then we got locked down. I then put on a lot of weight.. :( ... however, I then tried to go for a run again, and after 0.6m I could feel a sore jarring in my lower back. I stopped running.

I eventually got so bad that I had an MRI at hospital on my spine... the rheumatologist I saw said I had a faultless spine and that I should have physio for my tight back. I've been seeing her for months now, and whilst my back muscles have loosened up somewhat (back to pre-COVID levels), I still have a big worry about going out and running again and having that jarring pain.

If I front my worry and go out again, but have the lower back jarring pain again, do I need to see a chiropractor for an issue in-case something is out? I'm unsure where I'd go if my MRI shows no spinal issues, no base of spine problems....

Any advice on who I should see?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Starting this with the message I am not a medic. However, many back issues are caused by excess weight especially if the weight is carried in the tummy region.

If an MRI has picked up no issues and a physio is happy for you to start running then my advice, as a non medic, would be to start very slowly with the C25K app. I would combine that with a plan to lose the weight, which I know is easy to say! 

Alternatively start walking for 5km till you can do it really comfortably, then start on C25K. 
  • Options
    > @TT said:
    > Starting this with the message I am not a medic. However, many back issues are caused by excess weight especially if the weight is carried in the tummy region.
    >
    > If an MRI has picked up no issues and a physio is happy for you to start running then my advice, as a non medic, would be to start very slowly with the C25K app. I would combine that with a plan to lose the weight, which I know is easy to say! 
    >
    > Alternatively start walking for 5km till you can do it really comfortably, then start on C25K. 

Thank you for your reply! I do think I'll try a C25k and see how I get on. Walking is no problem for me, we were away recently on a mini break and were walking 14,000-20,000 steps a day, so I have that okay, but its just if/how I run with the worry of the pain in my back.

I guess though, being worried about the pain and not doing anything/not running will get me nowhere...If I do run and its bad, I can take it to someone,