Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds like great days to me. You'd have thought there'd be some autumn mara comms out soon. Brighton announced a route but no start info yet, so maybe its been changed and is wave starts etc the separate fast start seems to have gone too

Good rain dodging joe, 9pm wouldbe beer o clock for me

Shame the booze roughs you up TT, even ciders etc?

Wardi - its through choice, i dont have to do it. I'll stop at weekend and the wedding was saturday. My eldest and his gf had symptoms of delta variant within 3 days.

12m home tonight
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Slight improvement here but still no running. Frustratingly its not that painful now, just lacking strength. When I have attempted a few gentle strides whilst out walking my dog I can still feel the weakness still. I know I could run on it but I also know I would be doing more harm at the same time.

I had some dry needle treatment last night to stimulate things and fizz issued me with next level of stretches/s&c. As he pointed out, this instability/lack of strength has most likely been there for a long time. I've probably compensated for it over many years since I suffered quite severe ligament damage in same ankle as a teenager playing tennis. 

Could be a very short build-up for London if I can get going again.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    sj - I know it's easier said than done, but try to focus on the fact that you have made progress, even if it's not as much as you want.
    TR - I've not tried cider, but pretty much everything else has. Overall I'd accept the trade-off of not being able to drink as a fair swap for not having constant tinnitus and pain. I've only been on this one a few months so it's possible it'll settle down in time. How're you finding having to isolate in your own home?
    Cheers Wardi. Tramadol used to be available over the counter in Ireland. I remember taking two before thinking they were the same as paracetamol. That made for an interesting evening.
    12.3m MLR today. 9 easy, last 3.3 fast. Felt quite strong despite slightly sore quads. Shame I got no running done Wednesday as I'd have made 70 this week if I had.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    SJ: I have the same issue because of a grade 3 ankle sprain in 2018. The ankle has never quite regained full strength, although it had improved until the more recent set backs. I was able to run/walk yesterday but will only do that alternate days at the moment. Realistically I think a 10k or half at Dorney is more likely than a marathon for me come October, but the London hotel doesn't need to be cancelled until a month out, so early September is decision time. 20 miles on the bike with a swim in the middle today.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    SJ - As TT said, and remember when you resume you have come from a very strong training base, so you will have a good head start.  Massively frustrating but let mother nature do her magic.   Currently my BIL/ SIL are down here on holiday, both Sale Harriers. 
    TT - Cornwall is great, but in winter its challenging! Spring/ Summer wonderful.  
    Joolska - keep the cycling and swimming going, keeps you in the game for London if you decide you want to do it.
    TR - Solid as always and let the side down yesterday, gin and tonic on the beach - I dunno what happened!
    Joe - Good solid progress and I think your right to run to a distance that at the moment feels instinctively right for you.

12m coastal path run yesterday, av 9.15 mm to meet the family on a great little beach/ campsite Mother Iveys, recommended, fantastic enormous waves due to the storm passing through.  Rest day today and going to a local music festival. Aiming for a steady 10m tomorrow,  after driving an elderly relative to London ;-{ that's after picking son up from music festival @ 2 am who is pouring pints rather than drinking them so Sunday looks all a bit family inspired inconveinent, marathon training is often all a about time logistics!. 
  • OO - amen to that. Trying to balance life and marathon training definitely the challenge for me. Spinning plates and all that. Big waves always spectacular.
    Jools - 20 miles on the bike and a swim is the sort of thing you could do at Dorney.
    TT - consistency all the same. If anything, nice to have that excuse not to drink?
    TR - I won't be making a habit of it but the lesser of evils.
    SJ - keep on moving forwards. You should hopefully come out the other side stronger overall. that's what I'm clinging on to.

Rest yesterday. 7m today with a little rest in the middle to spy on the local parkrun. Longest run for 3 months. Caught a glimpse of myself in a pane of glass and was chuffed that my form looks good. Calves have been tight, I think my stretches might be making them worse rather rather better.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - hope the fizz lets you run soon, as you say its probably something you've managed and will probably need to manage, if he wants you to be 100% then that might take a while, and be something the rest of your running body isnt used to. Tricky, ive run a lot of miles in discomfort due to OP stuff in the last few years and it can be draining, at the mo its not too bad (due to a few management techniques), but im sure it'll flare up.

TT - no booze for no pain is a fair trade,,well done on the mlr.

Hope it keeps healing jools, well done on the cross training. Steph Davis would like it.

OO - well done, good multitasking.

Joe - going well, good man. Defo agree on exercises aggravating things, i have to be careful not to annoy my niggles, but some s and c defo helps it.

Minimal (wtfp) 6m yday, legs felt ok but thought i should give myself an easier day. Few too many frothies and late night watching the triathlon, but 21m done today in an easy time on feet style. Because i did my long run on sunday last weekend that gives me an inflated 92m for the week. 6 weeks til Brighton.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Good work getting the long run done TR, I limited myself to 2.5 pints last night as I planned to get up early.  Top miles for the week!

Joe.. good running form and increasing your distance is promising.  Which is your local Park  Run?

OO.. you deserve a medal of sorts for juggling all that lot around.  Hope you get your 10m done tomorrow.

Jools/SJ.. I commend your patience with those long term niggles.  Having just got rid of one I share your discomfort!

TT.. nice MLR.  Re tramadol, I had quite a supply left over when my original rib pain subsided.  A Scottish chap I know assured me that he knew of a housing estate in Dundee where I could offload them quite easily. 🤪

After a grey and wet day here yesterday no prospect of rain dodging so an easy 5m done.
    Thankfully dry this morning for my local racecourse Park Run.   After last week's 22.32 I decided to aim for as near to 22 minutes as possible.  I was wilting a bit in the last k but an eyeballs out last 500m got me home in a 'close and a cigar' style 21.57.  Decent progress, a bit before & after gave me 11.2m for the day.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work wardi

Tired turbo intervals today.
  • Wardi - brueton Park in solihull. times were a bit slower than I expected. would be good to be on form and hanging with the guys at the front but that time will come. Nice to get the miles in before and after parkrun. miles feel almost free. Good to see the times coming down.
    TR - well done on the 21. really enjoyed the triathlon on catch up. watching those running splits...those guys and girls are incredible athletes.

Party yday and a few too many shots so a rest day today I probably needed anyway. not putting too much pressure on myself. cycle in the peaks with a colleague tomorrow.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Evening all.
    Sorry to read of further benchings but take heart from the return of others. 
    You certainly seem to have come back strongly OO. Cornwall is idyllic in the right weather - I was down near Polperro during the heatwave. Running was mostly plodding due to hills & heat.
    A longer layoff RJR so a sensibly cautious return.
    Agree it was good to finally be back at Parkrun. I did (Frome) Old Showfield on the 24th & was pleasantly surprised with 19:29 on a rolling tarmac course with several 90 degree bends.
    Didn’t make yesterday’s as I was running the Welsh 3000s. I’d’ve preferred to do it today but our support driver was free yesterday. We set off at 6:30am from Nant Gwynant & finished at 20:45 after covering 34 miles. I’d like to go back & do it again on a clear day. The constant low cloud made route finding especially challenging. I also spent quite a while waiting for my buddies.
    Here are a few pics

We were fortunate to get a brief clear spell before, during & after Tryfan.

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Stunning pictures despite the cloud coverage Jooligan. I got vertigo watching a video of someone doing Crib Goch so I doubt I will ever find myself up any of those peaks. Makes the Peak District seem especially flat by comparison. Nice parkrun perf too

Wardi - nice progress at parkrun and showing some fire in the belly to squeeze under your target. Good stuff. Patience wore thin a little bit at the end of last week but back on it this week. 

Jools - so frustrating as you had been super consistent until the recent ankle sprains. Good to read that you are run/walking albeit every other day. Is that you being overly cautious or does the ankle flare up again as a result of the active day and therefore require the rest day to settle? 

TT - Nice solid last week and mileage starting to get back up there too. Good to see. You are correct of course that any small step in the right direction is positive. 

OO - Sounds like a great running life down there and can see why your Sale relations have made the trip (assuming they are local club members of course). Yes, saving grace is I was going along nicely so hopefully if I can get going again not too much lost. I ordinarily aim for a 12 weeks build-up but opted for 18 this time. Hopefully those early weeks will stand me in good stead. 

TR - Nicely done on time on feet and big 7 days, especially after a late night. I've struggled a bit keeping up with the Olympics. Annoying having to go digging on the iPlayer for heats etc but at least it's there. If I was in charge of the iPlayer I would package things up in a better way. I'd make things a lot more accessible.

Joe - sounds like the balance is just right for you atm. You may as well get some r&r in whilst you build back.  

I reminded the fizz that London was only 8 weeks away TR so I have another visit booked this Thurs to reassess how the s&c and drills are helping. Its 14 days tomorrow since my last run so that's a fairly substantial layoff. I have a mind to switch to Manchester, which is a week later than London, to give myself an extra week. This is assuming I can get going this week. Then its a testing process to see how things have settled. Targets well and truly being reset too :(

London are not notifying on deferral situation until Aug 17th so no rush to make a decision. If I can't run London and they don't allow deferrals from 2020/21 race then I'll be Manchester again next Spring. Shame I couldn't get a time last Dec or get my act together to run a covid safe race this Spring. It is what it is though. 

• Jooligan - Moody photos. Not the best day for it it seems but another big day out complete!
    SJ - Fingers crossed you can start up training again. It's recoverable from a 2 week break. Suspect Manchester vs London won't make much difference from a training perspective but I guess MCR less administratively complex?

33 miles and 1100m of climbing this morning on the bike. Some brutal gradients in there so I found it pretty tough but a good workout that hopefully is easy on the achilles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Looks dangerous to me jools

Good boozing and cycling combo joe

SJ - hope you get cleared for take off then. Trouble is you cant exactly jump back in at 60mpw after 2 weeks off, you'll no doubt have to ease back in. If you can ease nack up, then put 5 or 6 wks in then its doable.

12m run home tonight, bit under the weather the last few days.
  • Exactly this TR. I know I would have to ramp up gradually which is obviously not without risk of it flaring up again anyway. This was why I thought about the extra week for Manchester. As Joe noted an extra week is probably neither here nor there. So another alternative is a return to York on the 17th October which gives me back another couple of weeks. York is 10 weeks away which seems more reasonable. 

No need to decide just yet. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.. fine photos as always and great clambering on a misty day.

SJ.. as you say there's a bit of time yet to commit to anything definite.  I haven't booked anything for Barca yet as I'm reluctant to travel if there are any restrictions, tests etc.

TR.. nice MLR in the bag, hope you feel back to normal soon.

Joe.. sounds like a good party!  I was at a BBQ yesterday and the ales were flowing well in the afternoon.

I'm on a mini break in west Lancs Thursday to Monday so this will be an inevitable down week.  No regrets as we haven't been away anywhere since March 2020.  I'm sure a run or two will be done and a local Park Run is being considered.
    5.5m today to retrieve my car from the BBQ venue.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Jooligan - Thats looks one helluva run, over some incredible terrain. The photos are fantastic. We'll done too on the speedy parkrun.
    SJ - Fingers crossed 🤞 for you. You wouldn't have lost much fitness from a few weeks off and you have the extra weeks of solid training banked.
    Joe - one tough cycle ride!
    TR - some good miles banked, hope your feeling back.on song soon.
    Wardi - Good skills on the speedy parkrun. Great determination. I've the same thoughts as you on the upcoming Spanish marathon, which I've kinda written off now.

After a 7 hour drive to London yesterday couldn't wait to go for my run, 12m easy in very rainy weather to give 63m for the week, pretty good for my 3rd week back and niggles all feel fine. Another long drive back home today and did a 9m blended speed run this evening with 2m wucd 3 @ 6.45 mm and another 4 @ 6.15 mm, pretty pleased as the pace seems to be there need to focus on endurance and start banking some long runs.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Jooligan: blimey, I would be crawling through those crags, not running. (I'd probably be on all fours, stopping for regular breaks to compose myself)

SJ: I'm managing the injury myself rather than trekking to the physio, so I might be erring on the side of caution, but I also find it easier to just do one session of cardio a day, rather than a run and then have to go out for another hour or so on the bike to top it up.
  • TR - Hope you feel better soon and it's nothing too serious.
    Wardi - I've played the run to pick up the car game a fair few times. Helps to be a runner and able to pick off those distances relatively easily. Enjoy the mini break, sounds well overdue.
    OO - A reminder of just how far away Cornwall is (from London at least). You've done well to get runs in there. After lots of driving I really struggle to get out and about on foot.

8 miles today at sub 7 pace has given me a lot of confidence. It was hard work but happy to be close to sub 90 half pace with around 6 weeks to go where I can hopefully make strides quite quickly (if I remain injury free). On to the next one.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - York would give you more time, but not much more and its more entry fees.

Wardi - im having an easier week next week too, im in the Wye valley, will run but only 8ish with the odd 10.

OO - well played, i wouldnt be running after that amount of driving. Good pace too.

Joe - 6 weeks to go, are you training towards a race ? Half mara ? Full mara?

8m easy this morning, pretty tired and achey.
  • Sounds like you're ready for that easier week TR. Take it easy and hope the aches clear up. York is a no go anyway. I was reminded my niece gets married the day before and we're staying over. 

Nice work Joe on the faster miles. A good confidence booster to be running quicker as you say. 

Makes sense Joolska and looks like you're managing it well. If this episode has taught me anything it's that I need to incorporate some s&c and that consecutive streaks probably isn't wise for me at least. 

Lots of driving and still getting put for decent miles is good going OO. Good to also hear the niggles are behind you. 

Enjoy the break Wardi.

I was buoyed by my drills session this morning going well, some decent strength in my left ankle when performing claf extensions, so went for a 20 min tester run. 

Uncomfortable to begin with and discomfort on the front of the ankle and towards the lateral malleolus when foot is in contact with the ground and just before toe off. So basically during that heavy loading phase then the ankle gets compressed I get the discomfort. I think the achilles was just tight calves which I've loosened off now. 

Will feed this back to physio on Thurs and see if he can do anything about it. I can run on it and like the past month or so it improved after a kn or two. See how it reacts to today's run. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    SJ - Its positive you got a more detailed fix now on the problem for the physio to work on and hopefully resolve. Good luck for todays run.  
    Joe - Nice work running the faster session, your pace is still there. A real positive and I think your right, your pace/ endurance should increase on a good trajectory now.

After all the recent the driving to and fro London, decided to join club mates and fly to London for the marathon.  Feels a bit odd, but quicker &  cheaper (£38!) and car share back.  

8m very easy yesterday and a steady but progressive 10m for later with my running mate.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    OO.. good news that you seem to be firing on all cylinders again.  Not surprised you felt like a run after 7 hrs in the car!
    SJ.. good luck with the running progress, stubborn niggles are the worst.
    TR.. enjoy your days away too, no harm in a lighter week at this stage.
    Joe.. that sounds like a promising run, hope your progress continues.  Tough ride the other day too!
    12.4m in the sun this morning, a bit too hot if anything but I have found a handy outside tap near the race course for hydration/refills which helps on warm days.  Thunder & rain this afternoon so I got the best half of the day.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - there comes a point sometimes when the exercises are aggravating the issue, so need to be eased back, hopefully the fizz will let you ease back and start running.

OO - bargain, much easier than driving there, the fuel for the car would probably cost more than the plane ride.

Wardi - good stuff, 12m here too.

Jooligan - did you get the email re the fast start moving from withdean to preston park? Makes the first 1/2 look even hillier?

12m run home.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Wardi - With the rain lashing down here, 12.4 in the sun sounds good.  Nice 12m from you too TR.

Slightly dangerous 2nd tempoish session in 3 days. The steady 10m with my mate became a progressive 10m finishing with 6.44, 6.33, 6.32, 6.20, 6.15, 6.07.  Easy running for the rest of the week. 
  • TR - Still racking up some miles for tired and achey! Great North run 12th September. It's a good distance and at a good time for me I think. I'm appreciating having a goal to work towards.
    SJ - You do seem to be drilling down into the issues. Real bonus to have the regular physio appointments even though it obviously costs some money. Makes me feel like I should have buddied up with a physio a long time ago.
    Wardi - certainly was warm in the sunshine yesterday. That's a good run.
    OO - Suspect that rain will be heading our way. That's a very tasty progression!

Opted for recovery yesterday which turned into a round of golf. It's a more interesting way to walk 4/5 miles. Will run 5 miles later, expecting a soaking. Ordered a parkrun wristband this morning because my paper barcodes used to get ruined in my pocket and because my other half has been saying for ages that she worries if anything happened to me out on a run no one would know who I am. May do parkrun saturday morning as my second session of the week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Good oh, OO, nice progression.  Been a few of weeks since i even hit mp.

Joe - thats a good target to aim for. Slightly less miles this week here, the even lower mileage week starts tomorrow, might put a couple of sessions in though. So i get a bit more out of the reduced training time.

8m easy commute this morning.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    6m easy this morning, then a lot of queuing on the m4. Im in the wye valley for a week, so reduced training this week, but will put in a bit of overdue quicker work to get a bit of bang for my reduced training time.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A lot of staycations this year TR so I guess the roads will be busier.  Hope the slow journey proves to be worth it.

I'm now up near Carnforth/South Lake District, pity the weather is spoiling it a bit.  I did get out at 8am today for 5m around the park we're staying at and miraculously didn't get wet.
  • TR - I like the miles down but retain the sharpness approach. Enjoy your holiday.
    Wardi - enjoy your holiday too. Sounds picturesque. I find it difficult to get the miles in on holiday.

5 miles easy yday after work and parkrun this morning. I didn't know what I was capable of so thought I'd set out at some pace and try to maintain it and I think I did that pretty well. 18:29 was the score on the door. The colleague i cycled with on Monday came down for it and pipped me by 9 seconds in the magic shoes. very happy with that. First result on pof10 since November 2019. Crazy.