Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - fantastic session again.
    SBD - nice fast finish there.
    OO - slow is good after all that super speedy racing.
    I was planning to do 3x2M this morning but my right calf felt a bit tight so did 9 easy miles through the fields and round the woods instead. Maybe I should make this a proper cut back week after all.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Go easy on the calf Gul - when was the last cut-back week?

I still find the rules confusing OO but I believe you have to take a Covid-19 test before the flight back to the UK and then another test for day two after the return.  The PCR test at the Exhibition sounds ideal.

Recovery run and some S&C planned for early evening.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    SBD - I'm following (roughly) one of the P&D 18wk plans. So I did 5 weeks gradually building up in the endurance phase, followed by 1 week cut-back. Now on week 4 for LT/endurance phase, so 3 weeks 80+ and this week should be 74. I think August will be almost like a cut-back month for me though with a taper for the 10k and then 2 weeks holiday, so was hoping to make these next 2 weeks fairly full on. Looks like my body is going to overrule that :) 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My body would not survive that regime Gul. Anything beyond 60 and I start to creek with niggles.
    Care points SBD; the test result in German is not accepted. If you go with partner, what about their test? If you get a PCR test in Germany at the Expo do you still need to book one on return....its a minefield.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good to take heed on a niggle, Gul and err on the side of caution.

Nice MLR, SBD.

OO/SBD, my understanding is that a green list country has the same rules as amber list for double jabbed travellers. Therefore 48 hours before your return you need to take a supervised lateral flow test then the be allowed back into UK you must show evidence that you have a day 2 PCR test booked otherwise they'll pack you off to a quarantine hotel.

For the lateral flow test, we have a company lined up that you have a video call appointment with and they watch you take the test then issue the certs. It was about £35 each. I have heard various stories of people having no phone reception to be able to open their e-mails etc to show evidence and not being allowed on the flight etc so I would take no chances. PCR test is about £40 each and we can drop it off to a pick up point at a service station about 10m away.

Sadly passports have not come so my nice week home alone is ruined. i had some lovely but simple plans as well such as staying up late over the weekend watching Olympic marathons, afternoon sleeps and lots of training as I do a mini front load prior to my planned flight next Friday, which is all starting to look edgy now as this passport thing rolls on.

11m yesterday at 7.50mm then 6m this morning at a rather sprightly 7.27mm but still very easy feeling. Like SBD, I will do some s and c tonight.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I'm confused just reading the berlin Covid test requirements on here. Hope it all works out for you guys, Berlin is a great race and a great city.

Passport woes for you, DT, that's unlucky. I had mine replaced a few months ago, I was warned of a possible 10 week process but it was back in 10 days. Luck of the draw. Good sessions from you as well, they are helping me keep a lid on things and train at sensible paces with the required quality built in.

Had a niggle in the right calf/Achilles earlier in the week. Just some stiffness that went away during the runs but came back after. Got the massage gun on it which seemed to help and decided on a rest day yesterday what with the race in mind for Saturday.

6 steady miles today and nothing at all from the calf/Achilles issue.
    A 4 mile slow shake-out tomorrow and 13.1 at pace on Saturday. Yes SBD, it is Kempton Park, hopefully I'll run like a thoroughbred and not a cart horse!

It's 3 x 4 and a bit laps, hoping my recent 10 mile interval session averaging 6.40 pace is a good benchmark for scoring a good number but not hoping for a PB, seeing it as my weekly double figure tempo session.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

gdawg, yes my wife's came back last week after 16 days and that was submitted after my son's. I don't really know what the hold up is. I've rung the general help line who have told me there's no outstanding info and it is a straightforward renewal so should be anytime. That was a week ago.

As for Kempton park, I did my half there in May. It's a pretty twisty loop which invariably will lead to gps confusion but obviously nice and flat. Lots of parking and toilets as well, which I think is a real plus for the emergence of these closed circuit races post-covid. I like them as they reduce the stress of driving into a big city, parking and paying for that and then getting penned in 30 mins before start time.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good info, cheers, DT.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    All this COVID testing requirements for Berlin etc sounds like a nightmare. Just having to go a day or more early to Expo to pick up your number for London is more than enough if a pain for me.
    GD - all the best for Sunday.
    Calf feels okay, but played it safe with another easy 8 miles today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes exactly Gul. For a weekend trip sounds like the Expo the race and queuing for tests will not leave much free time. Glad the calf is feeling better 👍
    Easy run today then may try a different parkrun tomorrow, up the road at Blyth. I've never managed a sub 18 on that course so there's a target. I've also got a 5k road race next Wednesday which is a fast course. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    OO - you're a glutton for punishment ;) Go smash it :)
    6 mile tempo effort this morning. Tried out the new 10k race route - they've added two 180 degree turns (cheers) so not exactly sure of the fine details. Came out as 37:57 and 5.99 miles. 10 miles in all.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Solid pace there, Gul, particularly given the time of day! 

Top running this morning, oo. Strava given me advance Intel! 

Tempo yesterday, moving up to 10m this week so 12.5m I total. Harder work this week than last, particularly with the 2 extra miles. There was a strong headwind on much of my 1.25m loop and it was warm and humid in the sun. First half came out about 6.20mm then second 5m about 6.14mm to give a 6.17mm average. 

Didn't plan on doing anything today as stayed up drinking beer, watching the marathon but then found myself awake at 7.30 so went over and did a spin class. 20m tomorrow morning to give me 64 for a big week for me. 

Next week is scheduled around me going away friday, though as things stand we are going nowhere!!! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    We are gonna miss the Olympics and 24/7 coverage 😉
    Another fast one at Blyth with a bit of breeze. 17:43 and finished 2nd behind an elite guy who was out of sight. This bodes well for Wednesday's 5k race. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Happy to report a HM PB this morning.
    Officially 1.25.05, placed 23rd overall and 3rd v50

Speaking to a few at the finish, well all measured 13.26 distance. I’m a little disappointed not to officially have a 1.24 as it felt like a strong run and very consistent. 
    Splits came out at:

6:16, 6:23, 6:33, 6:25, 6:23, 6:27, 6:28, 6:28, 6:24, 6:28, 6:29, 6:29, 6:22 and 1:29 for the dodgy finish.

Really happy with that set. Strava and Garmin show I went through 13.11 in 1.24.33. The mile markers seemed to be bang on with my watch bleeps but I was alarmed when 13 came and we still had nearly a quarter mile to go,

Still, the splits please me and it shows I’m in OK shape halfway through the campaign, first ever sub-40 10k as well.
    Beers will be consumed!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Top bombing, gdawg. Big congrats on that! Pretty decent pacing as well. 

Looking on strava, it looks like you ran the same set up as my half there which was 13.24m and also bang on every mile/k markers up to 13 then the last bit just kept twisting around different paths. 

Bodes well with 8 weeks training and hopefully cool, still October weather. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good running folks, GD that PB is v very sweet. 00 - flying. Gul - likewise

Anyone actually been abroad lately? The Berlin things sounds confusing and a lot of faff. I am supposedly off to Norway next month, then Kenya, not at all looking forward to the travel and testing aspects.

On the plus side, Parkrun today 23.40 which is over 2min quicker that 2 weeks ago. The proper running fitness is long gone but the body is holding up so it's all progress.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - great stuff! Congrats on the PB - disappointing to be denied sub 85. Some really consistent pacing too.
    DT - excellent tempo run. Unbelievable about the passports and holiday.
    OO - shelling sub 18s like peas. Cracking stuff.
    Poacher - very nice progress. Hope the travel works out okay.
    Plodding this morning after rounders on the beach yesterday. 6 miles to end the cut back week, making 67 in total, I think.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic running GDawg and very consistent you must be chuffed with that.
    Sorry Poacher, not travelled for over 18 months which must be a record. Passport gathering dust...
    Gul your cutback is more that my peak- 16 today should scrape 60 for the week.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Another fast parkrun OO.  Hope you managed to get your long run in today.

Excellent tempo session earlier in the week Gul and good decision on the cut back week. When's the 10K race?

Good progress on the parkrun pace Poacher.  No travelling abroad here since Covid struck.

Excellent PB G-D, that's nicely paced.  You would expect the Garmin to measure  a little long.  You need to book another HM before London.  Have you thought about Maidenhead?

A solid tempo DT - 10 miles sounds tough.  Hopefully you got out for for your 20 miler.

Manged to get the long run completed this morning in between rain showers.  Lots of water on the ground and quite breezy but otherwise conditions pretty good.  Felt a bit sluggish after Friday's progressive 13 miler, so had to grind out the 24 miles at an average 7:45/m pace and no fast finish.  Very tempted to cut short at several points, so good to have completed.  86 miles for the week - probably peak mileage week for the Berlin/London campaign. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    An interesting update on the German Autumn Marathons - https://aims-worldrunning.org/news.html
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting SBD, that's interesting.  Most maras are pretty congested at the start, and Berlin is no exception. Presumably that's a substantial part of the risk. 35,000 runners a minimum of 2m apart? The back markers would be lining up in a different city! One would imagine that most runners will be using Berlin's very good public transport to get to/from/around, so that's another imponderable.

Just been told it's 10 days quarantine in Norway before being allowed to start work; always wanted to read Proust and watch all the boxed sets of 24.  :'(
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Poacher, well done. That's significant progress in 2 weeks for sure!

Gul, solid week, equals my highest ever! 

Sbd, never run more than 22 in training so we'll done on the 24. 

10m is pretty bread and butter in the latter half of a mara schedule. 

A very enjoyable 20 today. Reasonable conditions for mid August. Came out 7.28 for a pretty easy effort. I I run same route mid Feb six weeks out from Dorney at 7.39mm for slightly higher hr. Backs up a few other runs and suggest I'm running 10-15s per mile faster at easy pace for same hr as I was pre Dorney. Won't quite be so much as you come down paces but all good. 64m for week which is pretty much a peak week for me. This week currently involves a big 4 days as it assumes I'm off on hols on Friday, but that remains to be seen! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done SBD, I've never run that far in training- top drawer and hope your body is coping well with the miles. I'm gonna have a could easy days ahead of Wednesday's race.
    2weeks isolation in a Norway hotel doesn't sound much fun Poacher- is it worth it?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - well done getting that 24 miler done. Think I will wimp out and just do whatever 3 hours gets me to. 10k is on 22nd Aug.
    DT - nice long run.
    Poacher - as long as they have a treadmill it might just be bearable...
    OO - rest up :)
    15 miler this morning, mostly progressive; 2m w/u, 3m easy, 4m steady, 4m MP, 2m w/d.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I had forgotten about that s****** treadmill. Never again. Nice miles for a Monday morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crikey, Poacher, that's a long old quarantine. Good luck with that.

Nice 24 there, SBD and another big weekly total. Never done anywhere near that.

I'm still obsessing over being "robbed" of a 1.24 time for Saturday. I've plotted the course on mapping sites and they all say the final .11 is actually .27. All but one split (6.33) were under 6.30, opening mile 6.16 and the bits over 13 miles were at 5.34 pace.

I need to let it go.

6 miles of recovery yesterday on the trails to register 40 for the week.
    Rest today and try and get 50 in the bag this week.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - I can understand that must be so annoying.
    Poacher - bib for my 10k arrived in the post this morning. I'd better start trying to pin it on now... :)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Woke up early and got out for 4:00, so did this week's long run. 22 miles in 2:56:XX ( watch battery low so haven't downloaded yet).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Somehow that never happens to me Gul 😄
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I hate it when that 4.00am thing happens, Gul. (NEVER!!!)  :D

Out early (for me) this morning for 8 steady ones. Race legs still apparent.