Uncomfortable orthotics

Does anyone have any experience with Vasyli orthotics? A physio made some up for me because of a knee problem - I overpronate. That problem has now disappeared (I am wondering if it was actually just due to worn-out shoes). However, the orthotics are quite uncomfortable. They give me pain on the arch of my foot. I used to get exactly the same thing wearing ice skates! It's definitely to do with the orthotics, or the combination of shoes + orthotics, because when I loosen the laces or take them off it's fine. I got the type of shoe recommended and so I am quite disappointed because I have spent an absolute fortune, and I was skint to begin with!

Do the orthotics take a while to "break in" and become comfortable?

Comments

• You do need to wear orthotics in for a few days walking around but after that they should be fine.

If your orthotics are meant to correct the over pronation and you've got motion control shoes its very possible that there's an over compensation that's giving you grief.

I know these things aren't cheap so, if I were you, I'd back at the physio's door making a nuisance of myself.

Incidentally, its usually podiatrists who make up prescriptions for orthotics and not physios.
  • Although I don't have experience of orthotics yet I have been advised that you have to build up to wearing them slowly - is the pain unbearable?

If I remember correctly you are wearing them in stability shoes. You could try taking them out and seeing how you get on but you might want to run this past your physio first.
  • hi, ive had orthotics for over a year and whilst htey take a while to get used to I cant run without them.

I got pain in hte arch and the ball of my foot, like you're walking on golf balls - make sure you where neutral trainers though otherwise you are effectively running on two insoles - i made that mistake and got serious pain on the outside of my leg.
    Begin slowly walking outside in them increasing the time everyday and Ive found the trick is to wear them with your everyday shoes so you get used to them. Promise, the pain does go away
  • I wear orthotics too an agree with all above that it takes time for your body (and feet) to adjust to them.

I was told to use neutral shoes since the orthotics (assuming you have customised ones and not off-the-shelf) are holding your ankles/knees/hips etc in correct alignment, so using them in stability shoes might be 'overcompensating' thus causing pain elsewhere etc.

My pod told me to wear them for 15 minutes for 1st day (no running), 30 mins 2nd day (no running) ... etc for a week and ONLY THEN to start introducing running in them very, very gradually. I built up over a month and haven't looked back since.

That was 3 years ago!
    Also supposed to wear them in all my shoes and I can really feel the strain on my legs if I don't.

btw - take the insoles out of your trainers first before putting orthotics in.

(Ahem - have had other injuries, but unrelated to original knee injury)
  • Would be interested to hear the type of shoe you are wearing and have been recommended to wear as my podiatrist said it was fine to wear my orthotics with the shoes I have, which are mild stability shoes (Asics Gel Kayanos).
  • Hi Becks, i have orthotics as well and i can't remember exactly how long but it took about 2months of building up the time wearing them to break them in, now i wouldn't be without them. I underpronate & have a leg length diff, i wear them with the Asics Nimbus (neutral shoe i think!), i also wear them in my hiking boots and in any of my every-day shoes that they'll fit.

• I'm getting some - what can I expect? Will they immediately cure my ITBS?? I'm in agony today.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    I got orthotics about 2 years ago. I found them comfortable from day one as they eased the constant pain that I was in. However, I did get aching legs as they caused me to walk slightly differently.

I always take my orthotics with me when I buy new trainers so that the shoes are chosen to work together with the orthotics.

I would also be sceptical of orthotics suplied by a physio. There are off-the-shelf orthotics that are generally designed to fit nobody and have to be adapted to fit, or you can have a mould taken of your feet and custom orthotics made up. If yours aren't custom made then ditch them! They will do more harm than good. If they are custom made then give them a chance before taking them back. It might be a simple problem, such as he has got your one's confused with someone elses!
  • Jen M - advice may differ slightly according to what your individual circumstances are. I have one leg shorter than the other plus an internally rotating knee, which was causing all the pain.

I was recommended to use neutral shoes (was running in Nike Pegasus, more recently Asics Gel something-or-others, not Kayano tho')
  • My orthotics were prescribed by my physio, the process seemed fairly standard- moulds of my feet, charts etc, took about 2hrs... I have one leg shorter than the other, very high arches and i underpronate. The orthotics have definitely helped as i'm now back getting physio thanks to wearing flip flops (without orthotics obviously!) for most of the Summer months (tut tut!).

• Oh Ariana, how I sympathise ... I have been wearing flip flops, sandles etc without my orthitics during the hot weather too and I have really felt the discomfort in my 'bad' leg.

Although the orthotics have got me back running, they are terribly restrictive in terms of other shoes they can fit into - which is bl88dy annoying as a girly ...
  • They are very limiting aren't they Stumpy, there was no waaaay i could wear proper shoes during the hot weather! It's hard to know what to do for the best. I've been wearing my runners full-time for the past week and getting physio to get me back on track again.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    It took me some time to get used to my orthotics. Like others, I started off wearing them for just 15 minutes a day and didn't even try r*nning in them until I could wear them all day without problems. My pod warned that I would start to get new aches and pains as my body would have to get used to my new way of walking - in particular, I get aches in the shin of my 'worst' side which have taken more than a year to settle. The original injury has not recurred though.

I've been able to wear my orthotics in my w*rk shoes all summer,and kept the girlie shoes for going out, so have not suffered too badly on that score.

• Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing too Slugsta ... take the one pair of work shoes and use them (plus orthotics) if I have to walk any distance and wear flip flops/sandles when parked at desk!

I've even had to buy slippers so I can use them at home - I haven't had slippers since I was a we thing!
  • You don't have to wear it all the time. If the pain is gone why wear it.