Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    4am means bad insomnia in my world.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    GD - hope those legs have recovered a bit now.
    I was pleased that 4:00am thing happened yesterday and pleased it didn't today :). 6 easy miles this morning.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Probably best not to get used to the 4am run Gul!  Cracking 22 miles all the same and sensible recovery run today.

Good recovery runs post race G-D.  You need to book another HM race!

Nice 20 miler and weekly mileage DT.

Good luck for the 5K this evening OO.

Intervals for me yesterday, 6 sets of 1K with 500m jog recoveries.  Pretty even splits, so 3:45, 3:45, 3:45, 3:45, 3:45 and 3:47 but was having to work harder for the last couple with the heart rate getting up to 180.

Just need to get motivated for the 15 mile MLR early evening.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure 4am counts as waking early, that's just waking in the night in my books!!!

Gdawg, hope the legs are returning to you now!

Hope the 5k goes well, OO.

SBD- Nice reps, similar to my session yesterday. Enjoy the 15.

Decent session yesterday of 10 x 1k at 10kp off 1 min. A pretty savage session but a staple session. Didn't really fancy it at the beginning but settled in with splits of 3.43, 3.37, 3.35, 3.37, 3.35, 3.36, 3.36, 3.36, 3.31 and 3.29 so was able to pick it up slightly in second half. It didn't help that the sun came out at halfway and the last 4 reps really were tough work and at times felt like I was barely wading through the sea of lactic, so was pleasantly surprised to see the times.

Off out over lunch for a 12m MLR.

Sadly still no passport so flying to Lanzarote is looking hopeless! We are going to visit family in Dorset for the weekend just to get away somewhere and then maybe do a few days in London next week just because we are taking time off anyway as we need a break.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD have you noticed Berlin are saying you need your vaccine passport on a specific German app for entry to the Expo. I've managed to do this by loading the app (Luca) and uploading my NHS QR code which seems to work. One obstacle overcome....😇
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Had spotted that OO and was wondering how easy it would be. Luca sounds the way to go then - do you need to have any German language skills to get the NHS QR code uploaded?

A good 10K interval session DT - it sounded tough so well done on battling through and hitting the paces.  Bad news on the passports but Dorset should be a good break.

15 mile MLR completed early evening.  Slightly warm on setting of at 6:30pm but cooled down pretty quick.  Moderately progressive after a sluggish start with the last 6K at marathon effort which came out at pleasantly surprising 6:34/m.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    No SBD it was pretty easy. I used my hotel address as I'm not sure it would accept a UK one. Also took a picture of my qr  code on one phone then uploaded from the app on my other phone, so no printing required. Message me if you have any issues👍
    17:21 at the 5k tonight which is a course PB and age cat win. Better still junior OO was 3rd lady in  18:16. Her best race in the last 2 years after many injuries- so pleased for her.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - good couple of sessions.
    DT - cracking intervals. Shame about your holiday but glad you can at least get away for a bit.
    OO - wow, that's a very impressive time, PB and win - great stuff. And good to hear jr is back on form.
    11 easy miles this morning.
  • Apologies for not keeping up with the forums. I really want to, but somehow this pesky work thing (plus training of course) keeps getting in the way. With less than 8 weeks to go until London (we hope) I'm going to try to make more of an effort to log on on my WFH days. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, another tremendous 5k effort there and well done also to junior.

SBD- Well done on the MLR, I don't think mine will extend beyond 13m.

Speedy, good to hear from you. My return to the office is pending, though 3 days per week, probably from 2nd week in September. Though that isn't too bad as by then there'll only be a big week to 10 days of training left before taper time.

Yesterdays 12 was kept nice an easy and came in just under 8mm. Today was spin first thing then 6m over lunch with some strides. Tomorrow I am going to get out in morning for my Friday tempo, at lower effort than normal, as we are setting off at midday and anticipate 5 hours in the car.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

It’s great to have a read back and see most of the usual suspects still hard at it. OO that 5k time is amazing!

I’m just dropping in to let you all know I’m hoping to complete my 100th marathon/ultra tomorrow! It’s been a long bumpy road but I’m nearly there. The champagne is on ice. :)

• Oooh, where's that at Badbark?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Speedy - good to hear from you and know you're still targeting London :)
    DT - have a good break.
    Badbark - that's amazing. Hope it goes well and you celebrate your 100th in great style.
    13 easy miles today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Lots of wood quality running on Strava speedy 👏
    Many congrats Badbark- we will need a race report of course 🧐
    I'm struggling to fit in mid week long runs, will be lucky to scrape 45 this week but with 3 swims to top it up.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great to see Speedy and Badbark posting again. Good luck with the 100th Badbark, what a fantastic achievement after all that injury trouble. Can’t wait for the report.

Enjoy the hols, DT.

Work has been mad for the last couple of months, so with a lull in madness, I took a couple of days off, so I was able to get my LSR done today to free up some time at the weekend.

20 miles nice and slow on very tired legs. Had a good track session on Wednesday, 15 x 500m at 5.5x pace off 100m walking recs. 

In the week from Saturday to today, I’ve done 68 miles. With the race on Saturday still in my legs, I’m happy to get through that and feel I’ve adjusted my paces to avoid injury after that intense session.

I’ll rest tomorrow and did my usual recovery on Sunday to register 53 for the week.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

DT – I hope your tempo run went well and you have a good time away

Speedy – Always good to hear from you. I hope it all goes well in London

Nice 13 miles Gul

OO 45 miles and 3 swims is good going

GD – Good 20 miler and mileage in the last week

My 100 marathons or ultras goal has been achieved! It was a 6-hr race at Woodburn Forest Park about 10 miles from Belfast. I completed 10 laps of a 3.9 mile course in 5:23:02 (8:14 m/m pace) and didn’t need to go any further. No-one was close enough to start an 11th lap before 6-hrs were up.

I received a nice trophy for the win and another for my 100th. I’m off to drink. I’ll not write a race report but might write a bit about my journey to 100 soon.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Badbark, I am a lurker on this thread, but I am interested in your road to the 100 and balancing trying to get quicker times with presumably toeing the start line at events fairly regularly.  I am currently on 89 and still learning about that fine art.... Well done on getting to the milestone, and a great time today.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking number there, Big_G. Good luck completing the century. 

Really pleased for you BB, that's a brilliant way to bring it home. Congratulations!

I'm nearly into the final chapter of The Rise Of The Ultra Runners by Adharanand Finn. Really good read and talks about the dark places ultras take us to.
    I've only done two, a 33 mile entry level jaunt and a 62 miler that was a good test. I wanted to see how my body and mind reacted when the going got tough.

I still have pace goals for distances up ro marathon, so I'll park the ultras idea for now.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - good weekly mileages and a couple of solid sessions. Enjoy the weekend.
    Badbark - congrats - that's a massive achievement and a good way to round it off. Look forward to your thoughts on the 100.
    Big g - very impressive. When is your next one?
    9.5 miles with strides this morning. Off to the Royal Festival Hall today to hear Tubular Bells but sadly no Mike Oldfield.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Gul Dar, I was supposed to be doing Bath Two Tunnels 50K tomorrow, but I've got a sickness bug so can't travel for it.  I have a local one to me, Plym Trail, next weekend all being well, to hopefully take me into the nervous 90s.  Planning my 100th is proving tricky as I love racing abroad (I've been fortunate to do quite a few European ones, and the travelling aspect is a large part of it for me).  In an ideal world I'd have liked to do one abroad for the 100th but at the moment it is difficult to plan for that with any certainty.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Big_g - sorry to hear about the bug; hope all is well for next weekend. It would be a shame if you can't do your 100th somewhere special; hopefully travel restrictions will have eased further by then.
    10.5 slow miles to round off the week and make a total of 87. I guess that is the peak mileage done. Tapering this week for the 10k.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Just like old times, with the world's fastest goth, BB etc dropping in.   BB that journey to 100 has been pretty eventful, many congratulations on reaching it. After retiring on 91, I know how hard it is. Fanastic effort.

Gul is that number pinned on yet?

GD, nice ultra racing, I'd say ultra is simply a different sport once it gets over about 35-40 miles. Not likely to be compatible with running one's fastest mara as the training would be too different.   There are certainly dark places, it's a different darkness from a normal mara.

23.10 for Parkrun no. 99 yesterday, getting better.   No. 100 next week unless something goes wrong. Doesn't really make up for the marathon frustration but still a good number. 65m on the bike this morning.

Good running all.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Big miles for the week Gul.  Is that the Gear 10K next Sunday?

Well done on the 100th Badbark.  It was not so long ago it looked like you were permanently benched - just running again is a major achievement.   How many Sub 3 marathons are in the hundred? 

A good 20 miler G-D.

Hope you managed to fit in the Friday tempo session DT before hitting the motorway.

Another storming 5K OO - I assume you've checked the WAVA on these recent 5K times!

So how has the London training been going Speedy?  Still on track for a Sub 3?

Parkrun 10K yesterday at Black Park, 20:29 for the solo effort followed by 19:27 for the parkrun itself.  Was hoping for something a little quicker but struggled to find the extra gears.  20 miles this morning in 2:32 with the last 5 miles at 6:46/m pace.  82 miles for the week.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Poacher - good work with the parkrunning - good to have a goal to aim for.  I think I'd better wash my vest before pinning the number on.
    SBD - well done with the 2x5k efforts and also the fast finish long run. Yes, you're right GEAR 10k it is.
     8 miles this morning with 6x800m(ish) efforts in 2:53, 2:55, 2:51, 2:53, 2:55, 2:52.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Just dropped in as I saw Badbark had ratlled out his 100th mara think we all knew you had it in you Mark but very well done anyway, enjoy the well deserved celebrations.
    0054 you just keep getting faster amazing times. 
    Only walking here my cunning plan to start running has stalled again after buying new shoes lol
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the century, Badbark!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - oh nooooo! Really hope you can overcome your injury woes and put those new shoes to good use.
    5 mile recovery run today.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some big mileage there, gul. Hope the 10k goes well. 

Bardbark, congrats on getting yo the 100 mark. Look forward to the write up. 

Sbd, nice 5k double. Some good mileage for you. 

Leslie, get those shoes laced up and crack on!

Poacher, congrats on reaching the 100 parkrun (assuming you survive the week!).

Tempo Friday was OK, 10m at 6.33mm. Hr was high for pace but I think it was pretty humid as was drenched in sweat at finish. Easy 5m Saturday morning to make the 50 for the week. Then yesterday was 18m with 9m at 8mm then 9m working towards mara pace. First 2m were 6.50s and 6.40s then I settled into 6.20s/6.30s. 

Rest today as day out to London. No passport movement so resigned to going nowhere. The positive is that instead of 10 days away right now with nominal running and eating out and drinking I am now having a slightly easier week right now though mileage is still reasonably high, then in next week to a big 4-5 week block. 

I've heard on the side there's a slight route change for London. I'll try and post pic below. Don't think it's material. Also hearing no bag drop, which could be a pain, especially if weather not great. They'll need a poncho type arrangement like NY! 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - nice couple of sessions there. Are you sure you haven't entered the GEAR 10k? Weather forecast has taken a nose dive :)  Thanks for the London info. I just keep hoping (in vain) that they'll decide to post out the timing chips/bibs - still can't decide how best to work out the logistics for that weekend.