Sub 3h15

Comments

• So VMLM 2022 is confirmed for October again. I'm not sure I like that :(
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good route info, DT. Taking out that ramp to the roundabout makes it flatter. I also hated that hairpin, glad to see that go.

Started the week with a steady 7 last night with 3 miles at MP
    Got 10 in at lunchtime comprising 1 mile warm up,  2miles at 6.3x pace off 1 mile easy recoveries (x3)
    Could feel the last set and had to push as it's been a big 10 days, so a good one to complete. Average was 6.53.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    October and April though. Looks like hedging their bets in case it can't happen in April. 

So is that the climb after canary wharf area at about 18-19m that's been removed? 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    If you know someone in London Gul they can collect numbers mid week from the Expo- at least they could before Covid. 
    Nice to hear from you Lesley hope you are back running soon 🤞

• Great to hear from Speedy, Leslie and Madbark again - feels like the good ole days when the idea of a global pandemic was something you laughed at in the cinema!

Reading back, good to see that Poacher's comeback is progressing well. 

Super training being logged by the VMLM crew - bodes very well for 3 October. 

I finished the Coast to Coast in one piece - a fabulous trip and a reminder of how beautiful parts of this country are. Spectacular in the Lakes, stunning in the Dales and a mix of the two in the North York Moors. Operation "Escape to the North" has suddenly got a few more places we'd definitely consider moving to. 

Squeezed in a parkrun (Millfield) over the weekend - not too unhappy with about 20:30 on tired legs but notable for being beaten by elder Lorenzito for the first time as his marathon training is clearly converting well into 5K pace. 

Over in Bristol at the mo (any route suggestions Jools?) before heading over to Pembrokeshire for a week and a bit. 

Very much enjoying the extended break! 😀
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Seems so, DT. Checked Strava, 18.2 miles to 18.4 with a rise of around 20 feet. Laughable really but at pace and at that stage of the race, it's an incline I can do without.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - id happily pay a fee to have my number delivered and avoid the expo, but if vlm is the same as Brighton are saying then an expo trip is required to drop off your post race dry kit in lieu of an on the day bag drop, which is a pain for some folks esp the park and rides like me at Brighton or folks that stay over on their own.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    When I last ran London (2013) the route didn't include the climb after Canary Wharf so good to see that's been removed.

Not so sure about the removal of the bag drop - it's not as if you're going to leave your phone and wallet at the expo a couple of days before the race!

Struggling with motivation today but managed to keep the current streak intact (159 days).  As usual, once I got myself out there the session went well. So 5K w/u, 6 sets of 1K with 500m jog recoveries and 3K w/d.  Interval paces came out at 3:45, 3:45, 3:45, 3:45, 3:42 and 3:42 so a little quicker than last week for a lower heart rate.  The speed is slowly returning!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Looks like we might see some oversized bum bags in London 🤔
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo: sorry, only just seen your post. If you're still in Bristol, let me know where and I'll give you some suggestions. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Thanks guys, I'm even more confused now :) 
    Lorenzo - sounds like you had a great time. Pembrokeshire is really lovely too :)
    SBD - good improvement with those reps and consistent set too.
    Did 3 sets of 300m/100m intervals with an additional 400m recovery between sets this morning. 5 miles in all. Followed by shopping and breakfast. Cotton wool till Sunday now.
  • Gul - shopping and then breakfast? Wise to take it easy for the next few days. 

Jools - I'm staying up in Sneyd Park. Had a very pleasant run down to my old uni stomping grounds in Cotham and Cotham this morning so thinking of somewhere heading up in the opposite direction tomorrow.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo that's another amazing adventure. What areas have taken your fancy as places to live?

Berlin has offered no-bag-drop as an alternative for several years (is this still the case?). One could opt out at entry, and in return receive a cape/poncho thing at the finish. This is a substantial item more like a dressing gown than a flimsy foil blanket. Not a problem if the weather is good as one can travel light to the start and discard an old t-shirt or similar. It's an option which suits people staying nearby, or with family/friends to bring some clothes to the finish. Can see why this might be less than ideal for some in London.
  • Everyone needs to buy the amazing shorts that I have from Decathlon. Assuming you don't have one of these massive modern phones you can easily fit one in the back pocket, then there's loads of pockets around the waistband for gels. Plenty of room for a key, bank card, spare blister plasters etc as well. They're inexpensive, really comfy and available in mens and womens versions. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women-s-trail-running-baggy-shorts-black/_/R-p-305630

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Those shorts look good value. Raidlight do similar (and a women's skort version), always lovely kit from RL but eye watering prices.  https://raidlight.com/en/products/glims53
  • I've never understood the skort. At least not for serious racing. You'd think it would cause extra wind resistance. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ah, I used to live in Cotham/Redland.  Lovely areas!  Obviously you have the Downs very nearby to Sneyd Park. You can also get down to the river and nature reserve pretty easily (there's a trail next to the river on both sides for most of it - on this side of the river it's part of the Severn Way and signposted in places) or over the hill to the Blaise estate.

No running this end as I was pinged, and although my lateral flow test was negative, Mr Jools' was positive so pending PCR result I'll stay indoors. I know the rules rather curiously permit me to do as I please because I'm fully vaccinated, but so is Mr J, and if he's got it, I fail to believe I don't also have it!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hope the tests are negative Jools.

Berlin still has the bag-drop/poncho choice - I went for the poncho as I was planning to stay within 2K of the start/finish area.  

Ideally, you don't want to have to carry the mobile phone - it's extra weight you could do without.

Good intervals session Gul - what's the target time for Sunday?

15 mile MLR early evening.  Still a little warm and humid at 5:30pm but it cooled down in the second half.  A bit sluggish for the first half but picked it up towards the ends with the last 6K at 6:29/m and the HR just below marathon effort.

Have an entry in the Vitality big half on Sunday.  They're using Wave starts at 10 minute intervals so I get to go off in Wave 1 at 8:30-8:40am.  Just need to work out how to get to Tower Bridge for 8:00am!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - not so wise today; gardening and now breakfast :(
    Flipbelt seems to work reasonably well for me rather than those fancy shorts.
    Jools - eek, hope you're both okay.
    SBD - nice MLR. 2 years ago I did 38:39 (a PB) although the course has not altered. Hoping for something in the same region, a tad faster would be nice. What are your plans for the race on Sunday? Hope you can work out the logistics!
    4 easy miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's bad luck Jools- your mara path has not been easy.....
    The bag drop and wave start issues are certainly adding new complexities. There are 4 in my family doing Manchester and we could be in start waves spread over 3 hours. We could be finishing 4 hours apart allowing for different run times 🙄
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I used the poncho option in New York. I couldn't remember if I carried my phone in a belt or not during the race but must have as I took this at the finish. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Double day yesterday with 6 miles of easy trails in the morning and a track session in the evening. Dodged the 1 mile TT as I had a small niggle in the Achilles, so just paced some mates on their first track session since their recent 100 mile ultra. 12 x 400 in around 90 seconds each felt very straightforward. 

Got 12 miles in for the day.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The poncho system worked well when I did Berlin. The poncho is a good item and I still have it, as it’s reusable. I had a hotel for the night of the race so just took the tube back, but many runners used the lockers at the train station to store their stuff. 
  • If you want to carry a phone, some gels and a set of keys then I'd recommend a flip belt (https://flipbelt.com/) - decent amount of space and doesn't bounce around.

Hope the Achilles niggles is OK G-Dawg.

Poacher - top of the list currently is somewhere in the Dales (both Skipton and Richmond have got alot of appeal) or the west side of the North York Moors (e.g. Osmotherley). Plenty of variables to manage but it's about getting that perfect combination of being able to being able to go straight out of the house to run/cycle in spectacular places, being close to Mrs L's parents and the Lorenzitos, and having other things like theatre within reasonably distance. Have seen some stunning places in the middle of nowhere, but I'm not sure we're ready to become sheep farmers just yet!

Jools - tough luck on the COVID tests. Thanks for the recommendations - ended up being a bit short of time this morning so headed down to the river near Sea Mills and ran along for a bit before a steep climb back up to the Downs. Just under 5 miles in total.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A nice route, Lorenzo. I'm pretty sure all climbs up to the Downs are steep!

PCR negative so I will go for a run this afternoon 😀
  • I wear a flipbelt for training but I find I'm constantly adjusting it, and it's not easy to take things out of (gels) at pace. Maybe I have the wrong size. More often that not it rides up to my waist rather than staying on my hips where it's supposed to be! There's always the old gel belts too of course. They have a little pouch for keys/cashcard as well as the elastic loops. I always found them too large and they'd swivel around and the pouch would bounce about, but before I discovered shorts with All The Pockets I used them all the time. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    An important decision so worth taking your time Lorenzo. Skipton is nice though 👍 
    Great news Jools, you are gonna enjoy that run 😉
    I'm fussy about shorts. I like old school skimpy ones but need a zipped pocket. Oh, and I resent paying more than about £15 for such a skimpy item. Needless to say I'm still looking for a new pair....🧐
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - I think I could do with one of those ponchos on Sunday looking at the forecast ;)
    Speedy - I've found the flipbelt to be the best option of those I've tried, but not perfect. Not had it riding up, but stuff inside can bounce around a bit. Thanks though, you've reminded me to practise taking the gels out while running :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Jools, glad to hear tests negative. Enjoy the run. 

Sbd, another set of solid reps and mlr. What's the plan Sunday? Full tilt?

Oo, yes I've been reading about the Manchester situation. Many commented on the irony of it starting so close to old Trafford, where 5 days ago there were in excess of 75k crammed I watching footy! 

Plus 1 for me re flipbelt, had mine years. Echoing speddys comment though, since I've dropped a stone I am experiencing similar issues. It's fine when fully loaded but as the gels get used it starts moving. Guess I might need a smaller size. 

Hope you are now tapering, Gul? Be great to grab a pb.

Take it easy, gdawg, no one wants to have to take a few weeks out now. 

Big session today of 9 x 4 min at hmp off 2 min float at mp. 8.5m covered in 52 mins going through 10k in 37.55. 

Easy 10m tomorrow, 5 Saturday and 20 Sunday planned. That'll be a 72m week which is highest ever. Not a bad swing given this week I should be in lanzarote probably getting about 20m in and eating and drinking lots. 

Question for Jools....the weston prom 5m events in November/December, I assume that you'll at least know folk who have run them. Are they fast events? I'd imagine they are very flat but equally at the mercy of the weather? 

Off out tonight for food and beers seeing as I am trying to be in holiday mode. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Prom events are pancake flat. Downsides are 4 u-turns and, if it's a windy day, you can add a big chunk onto your time. And possibly a free facial with sand being blown into your face. But great races, and so cheap that even if you bail on half the series you still get great value out of your entry fee. I love them!