Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Front of parkruns will still be people putting in good efforts though, so it just shows the depth of people to compete with.

My lot are doing their 24hour event today. Based on the "backyard" stuff in America.
    1 lap per hour (4.16 or so miles) starting on the hour, every hour for as long as you can.

I'd have probably given it a go, but clearly the niggle made it totally out of the question.

Probably not a bad thing to have to miss it, as we have some maniacs, who are stubborn, so I could see it going deep into the night!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    They've moved the Maidenhead half, due to run next Sunday, to Dorney Lake!

Low numbers apparently. Can't justify road closures.
    But you'd be a bit out having picked Maidenhead for a reason to then have to do a 4 + lapper round Dorney!
    Better than no race though maybe.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Is that the Purple Patch runners organised one? 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Think so. "Race organiser" is the banner they come under now as the original owners retired.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Headed off to Marlow for a mostly road run, aiming as a minimum to get above 5miles of last week.

Happy with 8 this week. 7.30ish with a bit of offroading in the last mile.

Good progression from last week which was a 5miler that I was holding on for a bit at the end, whereas today's 8 was comfy enough.
    Probably have a half mile or so a bit glitchy now, but then loosens up.

22.5mile week (and 19miles walking), so obviously will just look to extend that sensibly next week.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It'll come back quickly SG, provided the injury holds up.

Lumpy off-road LSR for me today (for a change :wink:) of 14.2M. With the advantage of running Monday after no long run last week, it's given me my biggest week for a while with 5,500ft of climbing and 48.5M.  Tempting to go out later for a 1.5. Almost.....

Interesting run today, as everything felt OK, with just the occasional twinge to remind me, but boy was I knackered in the last mile!

IN other news, a very exciting bit of dot watching yesterday watching Finlay Wild make an attempt on Killian Jornet's BGR record. Right up until the last leg he was about 22 minutes down, but pulled a fair bit back on the last leg and was only 6 minutes behind at the end, whihc itself is 44 minutes ahead of the previous second fastest and 53 minutes ahead of Billy Bland's time which had stood for 37 years, so an amazing mountain running performance! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You do realise how much you take for granted being able to pump out 50-60miles almost every week, every year for years.
    Clearly things like vertigo can pop in from nowhere and wipe a month out, like 2 years ago, and I did put my back out for a week last year, but in general, am pretty robust.

You'd have liked our "backyard" race.
    20 started, and 2 stubbornly slogged on from a midday start,  well past midnight.
    The winner did 14hours. Somewhere around 100k worth!

It'd be bad enough on a 4.16mile road loop, but imagine doing 3 laps of a park for 1 loop, and 14x3 laps. Bet that got old quickly!
  • All madness tbh!

Good parkrun Bus. Interesting weekend.

NAL yesterday. Thought i'd get there for 2pm, getting the Viccy Line to Tottenham Hale and the train to Ponders end and a ten minute walk to Lee Valley. Two trains an hour from TH to Ponders end. Knew there was an issue as soon as I got on the tube, very busy with 'festival goers' going somewhere. Hoped they'd get off at Finsbury Pk, but annoyingly they all got off at TH! Loads of them, so missed the bloody train, so went back to Seven Sisters and got the overground to Edmonton green and had to walk 20 mins. Grr.

1500 was crap, 4.21. Had to go off too fast, 66 first lap, and faded after that. Just no energy. 5000 was 25 mins later, started off at 16.00 pace, quickly slipped off that, ended up with 16.54. So hard, warmish and quite breezy..

Today was better, decent 15 miles at 6.54 pace to Willen lake in MK.
  • Definite corner turned,Bus. Pleased to hear it. Same for you, SG. Well managed. 

A tough set of races, SC. Not sure sure which way round would be better. Salvaged at least with a good long ‘un from you today. 

Winchombe 10k this morning. Last raced in 2017 coming second. Works well as a family, with a kids 1k and a super play park right at registration. 

Delightful warm up jogging round the kids race with my daughter. Despite it being only half the distance of junior parkrun, she was excited for the medal 😆. Surprisingly anxious beforehand so pleased she did it. 

The race itself is a very hilly trail to a neothilic  monument, Belas Knap, atop Cleeve Hill. So essentially a fell race. 10k with 800ft climbing. 

In third around the field and road in the first quarter, which felt about right. First and second slightly pulling away as the hill got steeper was as per, before surprisingly reeled them in. Amazed to reach the highest point, about 3.8M in first. Bloody hell, I might be on for a once in a decade win here!

Sadly, yellow vest sped off on the downhill, putting a minute into me. 

I could see third over my shoulder and so really dug in, with quite audible breathing. I past some spectators before the finish. Him: “Well done, you’re making it look easy.” Her: “Is he?” 😆

Lovely to take second, even it was a small race. Local sausages for everyone and a bottle of Rioja for the podium. One of these is unopened… Got to take a result when you can!

10k trail, 800ft, 42:37. 

Hamstring/glute insertion a bit sore, so looking to Bus for tips. 

70M for the week, so another . Will take it very easy before Cheltenham half next weekend. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Nice racing SC. But come on son, that 5k is 1sec slower than my pb, and with the much quicker track surface ;)

And also SQ, Strong effort, good report, and shame you couldn't quite live up to my 2008 race winning exploits there ;)

Although that was the much more high profile Winchombe 4.6miler ;)

I still remember capitalising on one guy taking the wrong turn, yet wasn't laughing when I had to climb over a stile on another bit.
    Then cross a fairly main road with no marshals about, before winning.

Then later having to just make sure the organiser (who had seen me finish 1st herself) wasn't being convinced by some podgy ruddy faced middle aged bloke who thought he'd won!
    Even though he hadn't come close to winning the 2.9mile "fun run", or been leading either race at any stage.

Being chased to return the goblet trophy (that they'd obviously discovered was quite valuable, and weren't expecting anyone outside of the area to win) was a particularly low spot.

Ah memories!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

The infamous goblet! Ignore the dodgy photograph that makes it look like it has a weird light pattern on it.

And possibly the most high profile presentation ceremony in the history of racing.

(I actually ran in that vest this morning actually, decent longevity, 13 years on!!)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I need to get back asap and find me some bootleg races to rack some pots up at!
  • How long were your socks, SG, and how cool is the bloke back left?!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    You will also note this was in the day's I didn't even know what racers were, let alone think about the connotations of socks!
    But a similar inability to put a race number on straight.

It took me years to notice the clown trousers guy at the back.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey SG - hadn't realised there was photographic evidence of that one :wink:  There's also an awful lot of weirdness in that photo if you look closely, not least of which are those clown trousers!

Good work SQ - as well as a quality finish place that sounds like a very solid time for a n off-road 10k with a big chunk of climbing!

Don't look to me for hamstring or any other injury rehabilitation tips though - I tend to get through injuries only eventually, by starting off right, losing patience quickly and then spectacularly failing to learn from my own mistakes as well as basic common sense!!! 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Oh - and SC, not the best day at the office for you granted, but just remember, those would be times most people on this thread would be happy to have as lifetime PBs :smile:
  • Good race SQ - Great fun races like that, the more fun side of running.

SG,Bus - yes I know it's all relative..but thread rules do allow us to moan as much as we like ;)

Think it must be August air. Just full of shit. Not like those lovely crisp cold mornings with a proper lung full of the clean stuff!

Oh well - mile on Weds, last Eastern Vets.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    We understand SC - it's all about personal expectations.

And you only remember the times you can't race at all, when you can't.
    It was only a couple of months ago I was thinking, I wish these 1730-1750 range 5ks were quicker, now i'd settle for being there again!

6 yesterday, 4 today. Certainly not out the woods, as it definitely feels harder work, and still a mile or so of a run feels a bit glitchy.
    However, maybe it's time for me to concentrate on the footy for a few months, and re-visit the racing then anyway!
    Wycombe on the up, and Ronaldo back in town for United!
  • Just caught up whilst back at work today after a long w/e camping in Pembrokeshire for my birthday (52 yesterday).
    Good to have you running again SG. The thread did go very quiet for a bit.
    Class racing SQ - did that race back in 2013: 16th in 45:26 for me
    Doesn't sound like the ideal race prep SC - decent enough turnout even if you weren't firing on all cylinders.
    Well done on the parkrun Bus. Which course?
    I managed to get back to sub 20 too on Saturday: 19:47 at Milford Haven. I took my mate's 13 year old son & 3 others from our group none of whom had barcodes. I was 8th but was given 9th as the chap in 4th was my mate who only managed one lap of the 2 lap course :D They gave him a finish token even though he was clearly not a speedster & he didn't understand the system as it was his 1st time. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's 2 things to remember at Parkyrun.

1. Bring a barcode.
    2. Do the right route
    Enjoyable that all of your lot managed to bungle half, and one guy both!!  :*

3rd physio sesh today. Another half hour thrashing round the pool. Only felt a bit of tightness nearish the end, probably due to the accumulation of all the work.

Hopefully getting there though, just keep thinking i'm "almost" back, then get a slight surprise each run when i remember thereis a mile earlyish where it's a bit tight still.

But we'll get there.

8 (Sun),6,4 the last 3 days. Out for a 4 shortly, and then will probably do 6 then 4 the rest of this working week, rest SAT and go out for at least an 8 Sunday.

Even that would be a 32mile week Mon to Sun. Which again would be a decent step up from 22.5miles last week.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    6 today, that's 20miles running, and 3.5m walking so far. Will do a couple of walks later too, and the set of physio exercises.

You forget how weeks can race on, but as long as you can sort of see a progression you can stick with it.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Sod all today.

Yesterday was OK - Even though somehow picked up the newer dragonfly and so didn't realise that I hadn't put any spikes in them. Idiot! Good job it wasn't wet.

So One mile in the last Eastern Masters match at MK. Started off quite swiftly with my training partner Rob E, running for MK and the Cambridge guy. Me and Rob moved past him on 800, I think time was about 2.25. Just tried to follow Rob as closely as possible. He did 4.36, me 4.43.

Better than the weekend, felt better all day and ate a bit closer to the race. Might have helped. Also I have mainly ditched dairy - as in cheese and milk (still eating chocolate!). Using Coconut milk instead and not had as much as a grumble from my stomach, plus 2 long runs with no toilet stop! 

So might have cracked it after training for 21 years..
  • Wycombe Rye Jools.

Good progress SG- very promising.

Simon - doh! Think of the weight saving with no spikes :wink: Speedy nonetheless! Interesting re the dairy...

After an incredibly stressful lead into some annual leave, including not knowing where I was going until this morning, then packing for a very nice cottage in Appleby that got cancelled mid aftrenoon because of a double booking through complete incompetence by Cottages.com (who are also Hoseasons - keep well away!), feeling close to despair for any sort of holiday, I finally managed to stumble across what looks to be an absolute corker, literally in the mountains behind Coniston (presumably a last minute cancellation).  It looks great - newly a recently converted quarry cottage, location fab with epic fell-runs from the door, fantastic views and even a hot tub and all for a relative bargain price, less than the one that was cancelled!  What's more, the weather is looking OK too! I'll wake up in a minute....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's something that feels very "right" about you racing and going on another holiday Bus...

Like things are settling back to how they should be.

4miler for me. Felt like today's quad feel was only between 0.75m and 1.25miles...hopefully with me now done until Sunday, a day  and a half of the physio advice will mean a decent potential double digit is doable on Sunday, and once you can do double digit runs, it's a big step in your head.
  • Thought I saw SC at Wycombe Rye today and indeed I did.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Woke up with a strange real tightness in the side yesterday, which was interesting!
    Must have slightly tweaked something in the stretching, or slept funny.

However, after that SAT OFF, despite feeling it today, I knew it wouldn't affect the run.

So best run in a month, 10miler, including a climb up into Flackwell. 7.33 pace but feeling a bit better on that than recently.
    Surprisingly hot for September, albeit ending around midday.

In the meantime I see that the Endure organisers have sold it to Threshold events, which do the "Race to the" series.
    No doubt that'll go up in price in 2023 (prices already set for next year), but probably secures the event's future, taking the onus off 1 or 2 individuals, onto a big management company.

Resisting all talk of that one next year though, bearing in mind I've seen the month or so after a bit wrecked!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    oh bugger PMJ - I thought that might have been you finishing! Should have gone with my instincts and said hello!

Course was quite quick I thought, apart from the steps. Found it hard straight out of the car though. I was 2ns in 17.13, but won as the first guy didn't have a barcode.
  • Nice was on that parkrun off no WU, SC.

Great to see a double digit, SG. That is a proper return.

Photos from the Lakes look lovely, Bus. Hope you have had/are having a great time. Great family memories being made.

Hamstring has remained sore through last week, although probably on an upward trajectory. A well-timed video from the ‘Pre-Hab Guys’ on Facebook recommend lots of micro-dosing of strengthening exercises. Nothing ground-breaking, but a useful reminder of some I haven’t done for ages.

Decided that Cheltenham half all out wouldn’t have been wise, with speed being the thing (in the past) that has most upset a grumbly hamstring. So 8M easy from home (cracking to run on closed roads for this!), 13.1 at marathon effort (I think, I mean who really knows…), 3M jog back home.

Total of 24.4M at 7:03 average. The half was in 1:28:00 (should have gone a second quicker!). Started off with the 90 minute pacer. His strategy seemed a little punchy, but he made the valid point of the opening two or three miles being slightly downhill. Lovely bloke and chatting away at 6:45s was most pleasant.

Great to see so many friendly and familiar faces around Cheltenham. Allegedly there were 2-3000 runners, and so plenty of support as we toured round the nicest parts of the Georgian town centre.

Pulled away from the pacer around 5M but only very gradually. For the first time this year, there was also a 10k that you then met the back/mid of at around 8M. Selfishly, this was quite a pain as the paths aren’t the widest at times. But nonetheless good to see a few friends and give them an encouraging grunt.

As it turned uphill at 9M, things got a little more ouchy, and the pace slowed. The final two miles within the racecourse also aren’t easy, with inclines, exposed to a bit of wind, and several soft and sandy sections. Could probably do with starting here, although I suspect road closures would have something to do with this.

Pleased to finish, and HR was climbing along with the temperatures. Surprised the pacer was maybe only 20-30 seconds behind me. This would have screwed over some of those right on the margins of the 90 minute barrier.

Enjoyable run – the second and final ‘mega-long’. Mileage will be greatly reduced next week now students back in, but I seem to have built some solid fitness over the summer break. Hope this doesn’t drop off too much before London, but will try to put some sessions in there to increase sharpness. That said, hamstring very sore today, so will be a while yet!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Enjoyable read that one SQ, even if not a "race" as such.
    Sounds a wise decision, both for niggle reasons and that heat! A bunch of our club did the "Maidenhead" HM yesterday, having already had the week's notice that they weren't running it in Maidenhead (nice once a year chance to run a fast 2 lap town centre course), but instead for lack of numbers reasons had moved it to Dorney Lake (4+ laps, often windy - though perhaps not yesterday (!), but 20 odd chances a year to run one there) with a silly 11am start, ensuring midday heat.

Unsurprisingly, it sounded a right old slog, with DNFs and well off pace for many.
    One of the reasons I'd never consider an early September HM these days, just screaming for trouble.

Anyway, you brought back a couple of race memories for me!

Like the time the Henley HM and 10k started about 5mins apart, HM set off first, with very tight streets in the first mile and half or so.
    And guess what? Those of us in the front of the 10k ran into a solid wall of runners, and had to do some ludicrous weaving, which very oddly suited me very well, being a skinny wretch doing fast pace, then easing off!

Harry, aka Ultra Gregory from the early days of this thread won it, and I still remember his massive shield and £50 prize, whilst me in 2nd didn't even get a mention. All of this after waiting 2hours or so to let most of the HM gang come in :).
    I wouldn't have minded as much if they weren't dishing out all manner of utterly bootleg things like first finisher from a certain postcode in the HM etc!

Didn't even get a bloody official time either, as the donuts having upgraded from "fun run" to "proper" 10k for this year, had forgotten there's only 2 things that are essential - proper distance (check), and actually giving a time :D 
    That sinking feeling as I monstered into the strangely misty park (different finish to the HM) and realised there was no clock was immense! Obviously a pb too.

And pacers... I can't say I've ever really used or seen any, except for at Wokingham half in 2020. They put on some pretty sharp pace times there, a Sub 80, and I think a Sub 75 (though would have to check).

The sub 80 guy came past about 1.5miles from home, and I just thought, oh noooo, sub 80 is obviously gone (that really gale force one after nights of storms, just before covid lockdowns kicked in.
    Instead, he'd obviously come from a fair bit behind me, as he was over a good 10-15secs ahead of me, yet I was still 7-8 seconds under.
    He gave me a nod, and I gave him a "I have done loads better mate, it's windy, innit" expression...if one did exist :)
  • SCoombes2 said:
    oh bugger PMJ - I thought that might have been you finishing! Should have gone with my instincts and said hello!

Did the same as each other! If you were wearing your Denace the Menace (Herne Hill Harriers) top it would have been much easier to be sure.