Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Oo, yes i was surprised they gave in without any fight. 

How tall are you, Gul? 153lb is just under 11st isn't it? 

Sbd, when I did the 2017 Birmingham mara it was an 8am start. Not ideal. 

Speedy, yes the lorries travelling to the finish with waves just wouldn't work I guess. I still think they should be sending numbers out at same time. You might then choose to not bother with a bag and skip expo. 

Big g, it is certainly beautiful down there, I just couldn't deal with the persistent hilliness. 

Decided to switch my Friday and Sunday runs around and took a 3 hour lunchbreak for 21m today at 7.35mm. Effort was much lower than recent weeks as conditions were cooler and less humid today.  So 10m tempo Sunday. If I'm awake I'll go to spin  in the morning. 

I'm on 258m for month, my highest ever and still 3 more runs to come. 

Regional road relays are weekend before London annoyingly. Previously no one's drawn breath when I've declared myself unavailable but suddenly this year there's much more reaction to me declining. The perils of suddenly getting faster! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've got a club relay tomorrow- 2.2 miles per leg. In the past my vets team has won the gold but we are weak this year so I'm doing a tempo parkrun then just treating it as a speed sesh. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I did discuss with Lewis doing relays as a tempo, but firstly I don't think that would be the reality once in the moment. Secondly we are likely to be in or around national qualification places and I think it'd look rubbish if I coasted around and we then just missed out. 

Good luck tomorrow.  
  • I fully intend to race the Midlands Road Relays the week before London. Perfect last blast. I'll probably duck out of the Nationals though, as they're a bit soon after London.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm fully intending to do the British masters track 10k the week before Berlin. I know its a bit nuts  but I have a title to defend 😉
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'd be more inclined to race the weekend after London than weekend before, though it's of course not ideal. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Big G - nice pics and a beautiful place to run.
    DT - cracking long run. I'm just over 6'2". Before I started running I used to be 147lbs.
    Good luck with all the relays folks.
    20 miles this morning with 14@MP effort which came out at 7:20/m 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You certainly know how to put in a shift Gul 👏
    I paced junior to a 22:30 parkrun. Also scored and unexpected silver at the vets relay for our club vets. Shall be celebrating with a big curry tonight 😉
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - good pacing and well done on the silver.
    6 mile recovery run this morning. Only 77 miles this week with the rest day on Weds. Off to Lincolnshire for a few days tomorrow, so may not get much if any running done till later in the week.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    That was a good 20 miler Gul.  Always hard to run 14@MP outside of a race.  Still a good total for the week.  Enjoy the down time.

Well done on the silver in the vets relay OO - and good parental pacing.

Good work on the 21 miler DT - not bad for a lunch break!

10K park run for me yesterday, 20:24 for the solo effort and 19.03 with company.  Getting faster and not far off the PB (18:51).  The legs always feel a bit sluggish the day after anything fast, so this morning's 22 miles was hard work.  Managed to pick the pace up in the second half with the last five miles at 6:38/m.  Gives me 84 miles for the week.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Congrats, OO, nice silver.

Blimey, SBD, cracking pace for the last 5 of 22, nice one. Amazing weekly total as well.

20 miler for me yesterday with two pals. First 10 were flat along the canal and the second 10 very undulating with some long slow climbs. Noticed I felt strong on these and had to hold back. Very surprised to see that we did a negative split by 2 and a half minutes and averaged 8.02 pace. 
    Strongest 20 miler for quite some time. Nice confidence boost.

5 recovery today brought 56 miles up for the week, my highest ever Monday to Sunday weekly total and well on course for my biggest ever month.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Excellent work Gul, OO, SBD, GD, Dt and others.

Not impressed by London, it's hard to believe that asking people to schlep all the way to the expo, and to go indoors, is the most creative and safest option. Lateral flow tests? Reliable? Hmm.  The best bit of the day is Chandos but who wants to be in a very crowded pub.   I had been thinking about changing my mind about withdrawing but not now.

Other that that, a nice weekend double - 100th Parkrun yesterday, and 100km on the bike today.

Have a good week everyone.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the 100 Poacher hope it wasn't too painful. And the record weekly total GD. SBD you are getting a bit tasty at those 5k's 👍
    Double day here around overnight visitors for a 62 week. There's a club 10k on Tuesday so resting up tomorrow.
  • Nice 100s Poacher! 

13 with 6 @ HMP on Saturday and 22 easy today for me. Bank Holiday tomorrow. Yay, a lie in! 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - nice work with those back to back 5ks and then a fast finish long run. Looking good...
    GD - nice variety in your long run and great miles.
    Poacher - well done on the double :) 
    OO - another race? You are racking them up.
    Speedy - well earned lie-in after a good weekend's work.
    11 miles for me this morning with some pyramid short intervals (100s 200s, 300s and 400s with decreasing recoveries). Anyone else entered their predicted time for London yet?
  • It was indeed a very long lie in. I missed the whole morning! 

I put 2.57 Gul, what about you? They didn't give us a seconds option. I think I'll actually be more like 2.57.30, but I wasn't going to predict slower.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I put 2:57 too- I'm always optimistic in these predictions that affect start times/positions. I'd be delighted with anything below 3h. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    I was a bit cautious and put 3:07. Didn't want to be tempted to set off too fast with you super fast guys.  Nice pool and gym here at the hotel. A bit of swimming yesterday. May try out the dreadmill today if I get a chance. Now off to check out the breakfast :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Breakfast definitely the most important Gul, but great to hear you are swimming. I'll be off for a swim shorty. 10k race tonight. Hope the weather improves from wet and windy 🙄
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice work on the 20 miler mixed pace, Gul. Enjoy the break away.

SBD, coming into place nicely with those runs.

Congrats on the 100th parkrun, Poacher.

OO, good luck in the 10k.

I've put 2.47 on the London estimate, which is what it already was anyway from when I previously did it.

New York released their waves yesterday, 5 in total starting at 9amwit h the slowest runners starting at Midday. Apparently, as the clocks will have just gone back as well, sunset is about 4.45 so most starting at midday will finish in complete darkness.

I had standard 10m tempo on Friday. A little easier than recent weeks as it was a bit fresher with average pace 6.18mm for 160 bpm. First half in low to mid 6.20s then last 5 just  sat pretty much on 6.13mm.

Session over lunchtime toroundoff   what is already by far my biggest mileage month.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Another big and nasty Tuesday session ticked off. 6,5,4,3,2,2,3,4,5 and 6 mins at hmp off 90s mp float. 

Covered 8.77m at 6.06mm average, going through 10k in 37.53. 

That's 287m for August, my highest ever by 32m. 
  • I'd have forgotten where I was up to in that session by about rep 3! Nice going DT!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    243 in August for me. Only March has been higher in the last 12 months.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

No need to remember anything, Speedy. Set up session in garmin connect then send it to my watch and just do what it says.

I notice also that August last year was the last month of noticeably reduced mileage from my stress fracture, so garmin tells me that my average weekly mileage for the last 12 months has been 48m. Not bad when you factor in peaks and troughs of training, tapering, recovering plus holidays etc.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - youre going well, nice one on the 2.47 target. Thats a good couple of sessions, i did 10x5min 60sec jog last week, after 12x3min and 14x3min both 30sec jog the 2 weeks before, would like to get up to 60min off effort this week.

I put 2.56, i order to avoid the 2.54, 2.59 peaks. Theoretically if everyone puts a realistic time, starts in that predicted order and paces it correctly then we'll all have a nice quiet run round.
  • I was just looking at the wave start for GNR. The wheelchairs and IPC go off first as usual, swiftly followed by the elite women. Then there are only three further waves. Normally there are loads. Maybe 8? So each wave must be 15000+ people. Anyway, elite men and orange wave (which also includes stripey yellow and white  like me - GNR equivalent of Championships) at 9.45am. This is the normal start time. The next waves are an hour and 20 mins apart, so 11.05 and 12.25. Huge gaps! I'm not sure what logic got them there. The 3 hour runners at the back will be in for a long day. I guarantee no TV time for me. They'll show the elites finishing then move on to the start of wave 2, where there will certainly be lots of folks running for charity. That wave will set off just 5 minutes before I cross the finish line in theory at least. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

TR, the target is 2.49 but I don't think 2.47 is wildly optimistic if all goes well on the day. Im really hopeful these waves work well so there's not the usual crowding on course and a clear run is possible.

Have you decided you'll run London then, or just keeping options open?

My Tuesday session has been gradually progressing last 3 weeks, but takes a step back next week before an 8 x 1m off 1 min session then 3 x 5k off 3 mins to round things off as a peak session.

Now it's about to become September I need to reign the summer partying in a bit as in places it's been too much. I'm only 3lb over Dorney weight though no not much required to hit race weight with 5 weeks to go.

Speedy, unfortunately we are the least interesting group of people to the tv cameras and what their viewing public wants to see.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - if you did 10m ~ 6.15 then you are well placed. Those 2 sessions sound good. I tend to build 3min reps up to a max of 20, did 5min reps for a change and my legs new about it !..........yes, going to run vlm in 4 wks. With no spring vlm, im going to defer my Brighton place to April, as i can defer the park and ride place too. £20 fee to defer both which seems fair, as ive deferred vlm in the past and had to pay full entry fee again.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck at GNR this weekend Speedy. I'm giving it a miss this year- unless a free number comes up between now and Sunday 🤞
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Massive sessions, DT. Saw them on Strava. Good stats all round. Great work.

I put 2.58 fior the time prediction. Scared me a bit, felt like a fraud. Yet, I know I'm lighter, fitter and quicker than my 3.01 PB from last time. Mid 2.59s will do me fine.

8 Steady on the trails yesterday and an 11 tonight where my legs really weren't feeling the love. Must be the 20 from Saturday.

Broke the session into miles of Easy, 6.4x and 6.3x (x3) with a bonus 6.3x to finish and to average 6.55 for the trip.

That scores me 230 for the month, my biggest ever which was previously 216 set last month.
    Averaging 42 per week since Jan 1st, including injury weeks. Hopefully should hit 2000 annual miles for the first time as well.

Getting there...