Sat 4th Sept - Oh how do you do, young Willy McBride?

Lyrics - Oh how do you do, young Willy McBride? Do you mind if i sit here down by your graveside?

I missed your cryptic clue yesterday Ale until Wabo drew attention to it.

At work tonight, finish 07:30 so not sure if I'll manage to stay awake for parkrun or not. If not, I'll get out in the evening for something.

Always a relief when they aren't upset going in Wabo.

Nice Friday miles chick

Comments

• Morning! 

Lyrics: no, but am intrigued!

Yesterday's were White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane:
    One pill makes you larger
    And one pill makes you small,
    And the ones that mother gives you
    Don't do anything at all.
    Go ask Alice
    When she's ten feet tall.

What: half an hour or so 

Why: run to feel

Hope the Tiree Two arrived safely and Els is raring to race!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 2 hours into the oat journey after 5am start. Half way there!
    Journey to Oban long but uneventful.
    Have a good weekend all.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I thought the oat journey sounded interesting

Now that I think about it Ale, this song might not be as well known outside Ireland 
  • Chamolk...well I did have muesli on a boat for brekkie!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all 
    Els have a lovely weekend
    I didn't get yesterday lyrics, I saw a clue but didn't get it lol
    Today's are only familiar but not sure
    Alehouse enjoy your run to feel
    Wonder if chamolk did park run
    Right
    What about to do forest five then do it again
    Why too get my long run done today
    Last hard yesterday 
    Last rest 24/7 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Well that was a good morning
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    And then I ran it again in reverse 🤣, no records that time
  • Wow, that's some record haul, wabo 👏🏻👏🏻

Ale: I somehow thought yesterday's lyrics where I need a new drug, Huey Lewis and the News 😉

Hope the rest of your journey goes well, Els and OH.

Joe has gone missing it seems.

Did you manage parkrun, chamolk?

I gave it a miss as three major roads are being refurbished this weekend leading to absolute chaos. Ran 10k on my own instead.

• Afternoon!

Don't understand most of that, Wabo! But do understand that you ran two lots of 5 miles and the first 5 was quick!

Well done on the 10k today, Chick. Just over 5k here, which was enough. 

Re yesterday's lyrics, I used them before when I dressed up as the White Rabbit one World Book Day. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    First 5 was the race alehouse, second a lot slower!!! 
  • Yes, sorry, that's another bit I understood, Wabo!
  • Afternoon

Did you make it to parkrun then chamolk?  Well done on your trophies.

Great to see you back up to the 10 miles chicksta.  

You aren't too much off of the 10k now Ale.  

Hope you have arrived well in the meantime OH and Els.  Good luck for tomorrow Els!

Great strava collection there Wabo - you need to find a crown to wear rather than the hat from a couple of days ago.  Well raced.  And good mileage if you ran it again.

Good point regarding Joe..  Hmm where did he go?

Shame you couldn't get to parkrun chicksta but sounds like it would have been a stressful journey.

Race report below the standard bits - sorry if a bit long...

What: 10k @GA effort and a bit quicker
    Why: legs and the rest felt like it
    Next hard: I currently have a rodent residing in my office - any good tips regarding bait for the trap?  Tried ham but that is gone without the trap being triggered... grrr
    Last rest: 30.03.20

Lyrics: no

Bieler Lauftage HM

2021 saw a return of this event after 2020 was cancelled. A different date – September rather than May and a different location – still Biel, but away from the city centre. Normally the HM takes place on the same day as the 100k on the first part of that race's course, a big loop wandering off around the Swiss countryside. With ongoing Covid-19 restrictions the event was spread over 3 days with the 100k on a 5 x 20k loop Friday to Saturday and the HM and a shorter 8m run taking place on Thursday. Start and finish was at a big sports complex to the side of the city, the 20k course taking in a loop to the East and back on a mixture of minor roads, field tracks and the odd bit of tricky trail with a loop stuck on for the HM. Approximately 150m of ascent / descent, mostly in two nasty bumps and a few rolling bits on the final quarter.

With the start at 9:15pm and not being confident about public transport on the way back at past 11pm I opted to drive and found no issues with parking close by. I immediately got a chance to practice my language skills first being asked if I speak English (errm, yes) by an obvious particpant and then having a brief waffle in French with a lady interested in what was going on. (sorry about any grammatical errors). I thought I had got to the location in plenty of time but with the certficate checks, handing over baggage (didn't really need to) I didn't actually have much time to spare and only put in a brief warm-up – legs felt fine and didn't need a longer wake up anyway. As it was I lined up a bit early – the numerous speakers on the start/finish straight were very loud and I spent most of the wait with my fingers in my ears. I placed myself a bit far to the front – nobody seemed that keen to do so and got caught up in the initial charge following the American football guys off the line. 4:16/km – whoops.

Quite a few people overtook as I calmed down a bit for the next few km listening to my breathing which felt fine. I had noticed that two ladies had shot off from the start and disappeared up the road and did briefly think about trying to keep up with lady no. 3 who came past at some point, but decided against it though. She was happily chatting away at that speed and it was pretty obvious I wouldn't keep up.

First hill at around 5.5k – only about 25 m of ascent over one km but noticeable so I let the pace drop keeping in mind the distance left to go. Took a drink at the first aid station – the waiting volunteers called out their wares – WATER!! ISO(star)!! I caused a few laughs by calling back BEER! BEER!. Walked through to take on a few sips and got going again. I didn't bother with drinking at the next two water stations. Another lady passed at around 10k putting me down to 5th where I stayed for the rest of the race. Until the last 3k or so she was only ever about 20-50m up the road from me and I did think about starting an attack but she was stronger over the last few km finishing about a minute in front of me.

I kept working well until the second hill at just over 13k on which I lost a bit of time as my legs suddenly reported they were working a bit hard. I also didn't enjoy a series of short rollers. Now it was a case of ticking off each km to the finish. A sign next to the path announced 20k – just one and a bit to go, this seemed to take forever – I could hear and see the finish line from quite a way out but to make up the distance the route swung away and took in a few meanders across what might well be an overflow carpark – gravel surface with potholes – not nice on tired legs. I also had a couple of moving obstacles to negotiate – the tail runners of the 13k, this race had started 15mins after us. Those I was overtaking kindly let me me past though. Over the line in 1:38:43 chip time – possibly the course was a bit short with GPS measuring 21.05k.

Brief recovery – even drank some Cola which I normally hate, before setting off home. I must have been a bit tired as I shot off down the wrong motorway – I was able to rectify that at the next junction just a couple of miles down the road though. At home I made sure to wind down a bit but it still took me hours to get to sleep. A disadvantage of racing at that time of night.

The conditions were as good as perfect – maybe a bit warm but the wind had dropped down considerably by the time the race started – a good thing as the outbound leg would have got nasty otherwise.

Race organisation was good and the course well marked. I was pleased to see quite a few spectators out despite the time of day.

It was interesting to run a late race again – no hmm – I wouldn't mind going to bed soon feelings this year. Running in the dark means you can't see how far away you next goals are, often an advantage and are often running in a fairly small world represented by a small puddle of headtorch light. The trail bits were sometimes a bit tricky though as my night vision isn't the best.

No prizes for 5th lady or the category win. Finisher goodies - decent technical T-shirt and a pouch on a belt thingy which I could do with – hope it works well.

5 Km splits from watch:

5: 22:42
    10: 23:30
    15: 24:10
    20: 23:38
    Finish: 4:53

• Great report Hazel. Sounds like a great event. And an excellent performance! Difficult to guage pace running with a head torch in the dark, I find!
  • Hiya
    Hazel - smashing report!
    chick - good skills with the 10miler
    Wabo - impressive trophy haul!
    Chamolk - nice racing! Claim the moral victory….

what - Coaching course on S&C + movement skills and plyos. Very good and very informative. Followed that up with 8miles of tempo hills over the common. 
    Why - improving my skill base improving my speed base…
    last rest - 3 weeks?
    last hard - today
    lyric - nope
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Great report hazel, I love the beer shout! Well done it does sound fun but very tough!
  • Great report Hazel, and well done on a tough course.

Nice crown and PRs Wabo. Maybe next time you'll smash the return leg (if there are segments for it)

Lol Els, museli is close enough I suppose.

Were there any pictures of this costume Ale?

Course sounds good Dustin, any tips for us?

Hope the 10k was nicer than the roadworks chick.

I never made it to parkrun, fell asleep very quickly after getting home. Woken up by an almighty cramp in my calf, which I almost never get, and took ages to get back to sleep, so not that long awake now. No idea why it happened, but it still feels a bit tight/sore so today has turned into another day of no running. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow for something