Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Big G - I suppose 26.8 isn't too bad considering the buildings etc and the amount of people on the course, not being able to keep a straight line all the way round.   I didn't have a GPS watch when I last ran London.

That poor lady at Cheddar Gorge.   

At least you didn't have a long drive yesterday, I heard traffic was horrendous.  

Cal - I hope you don't have to wait too long for the results.

I remember a runner who did one of the Trotter's races, finished with a 'bit of a pain in his chest', his wife forced him into the doctor's surgery the next morning.   After examining him the doctor went out to reception, came back with a wheelchair and had called 999, he'd had a heart attack.   Quite a few of the 100 club have had heart issues often happening during a race and ending up with surgery etc., most that I know of are back running again.

My calf is a lot better, I didn't go out yesterday but kept myself busy and the more I moved the more it eased.   I now have DOMS from that gym session though so am taking another rest day as I want to do a rare long run tomorrow.  :/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Cal, good news you've had the test and fingers crossed the results come back quickly.

Shades, when I double checked my distance for Ian, I remembered I got a very quick start as I was over the line within one minute.  I can't remember quite what I put down as my predicted finish time but I don't think I would have been overly optimistic.  I remember the first time I did it I was at the back and it took over 30-mins.  I wonder how many are doing it virtually this year?  I did last year, but no point this year (well, that wasn't really any point last year either, but that one did feel a bit different to me in what were very strange circumstances).  

I saw on Facebook that Brighton (which is tomorrow) apparently hasn't got a UKA License......  Tim Grose, who I think runs Powerof10, posted about it on the sub-3 group. 

I had a bit of a shock when I got home as there was a Torbay Half number in the post, and that race is....tomorrow!  Ha, I totally forgot about it, and all their emails went to my spam folder.  I have agreed to meet a friend at Torbay parkrun morning so I am doing that (6 miles total), which I wouldn't usually do before a race.  I think I am probably in about 20min 5K race shape so I am going to stick that in a pace predator and see what comes out, but I am not too bothered.  I am going to wear the Nike Vaporflys Next% for the first time in a proper race.   From what I can see, it is basicalyl a normal race set up.  They are asking people to do an LFT, which I will do anyway, and they are asking people to wear a mask in the start area, and discard it once you get going, and pick one up at the finish, but otherwise seems normal.  It is usually in the region of 1500-2000 participants I think, so it will be interesting to see how many are there tomorrow (they have a 10K tomorrow as well, which I think is a new thing for this year so not comparable)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thanks for that,bit less than I thought.I am on the virtual also,I was using it to try for GFA if I could get a sub 1:28 half tomorrow so will see.Looking at GFA they are accepting from October last year until Londons date,so may not be as many as usual as there haven't been too many races since then.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I have RunBritain's marathons pinned to my taskbar and I just checked and right enough no permit listed for Brighton!   London's permit appeared a couple of days ago with a race limit of 43,000 runners, still showing as unmeasured road race .  That's a major error of Brighton marathon, I guess that means they don't have insurance either.  I don't know if RunBritain can grant a permit quickly, no reason why not, but if they've changed the course they'll need to provide a new course measurement certificate.

Re London, it can depend on what start you're on as to how quickly you get over the line, but more wave starts now should help especially at Greenwich which is the slowest to get over the line.  
    I expect they're pushing the virtual as another money earner and a way of fooling folk that they're running a marathon.

ha, ha at your race number for Torbay greeting you.   I would be surprised if the race is full, I was hounded with emails to enter up until a few days ago.   Sounds OK about the Covid restrictions, except for the mask wearing which outdoors seems a bit pointless as as soon as you start to breathe more heavily they tell you to discard it, would have been better to do wave starts without any waiting around on the start line.  I don't see the point of masks at the finish either, everyone will want to drink and there's big open spaces with a sea breeze so everyone can spread out nicely on the Green post race.

Will be good to test out your race shoes.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Ian - so if you get sub 1:28 tomorrow does that give you a GFA entry time for London? 

I didn't realise you could do the virtual and the actual.   :/
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    If I got that if need 3:10 at London which might be a stretch.
    I'm getting both emails so presuming I'm still in the virtual,I entered it after I failed in the ballot.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That is a great target though, Ian.  I can see why you're tempted to go out at 1:25 pace to see what happens!  

6-miles, nice and easy, including parkrun.  Enjoyable, but it felt very humid though.
  • Big G/Ian - Good luck on the halves tomorrow

Shades - Good news on the calf 

Kew Gardens 10k this morning. Drove there nice and early with the girls meeting me later as the race comes with free entry for 4 people to the gardens which is nice. It was a bigger event than I thought with about 2k runners. The instructions email said there would be waved starts but instead we were just told that anyone with a number below X should gather in a wooded area behind the start line and it was clear there was only a vague separation by finish time. This meant I spent the first 6k running past people, made difficult by bits of the path being single file so had to run on the grass. This happened to me at my last half too strangely but at least there I just arrived late. Anyway didn’t go totally eyeballs out and managed a 41:02 which is a 3 and a bit min PB so pleased with that. We then waited for 30 minutes after the finish as my 5 year old had volunteered to hand out medals! The girls then played in the children’s garden/playground for a couple of hours so all in all a nice morning out after all. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - for a not eyeballs out that's a whopping PB plus you had to negotiate past other runners etc.   Tremendous improvement since your last 10k.

Great your girls enjoyed the day too and for handing out the medals, lovely photo.
  • Jeez Big G, that's a hell of a surprise - I hope it goes well. Yikes!

Rcouture - fabulous result - well done! I ran it in 2020 (in place of the half, which was cancelled) - it's nice running there but a twisty course, so you did well to get such a big PB. By the way, that's Steph Davis on the medal...quite funny we've got a medal with our clubmate on (well, I will do, once I run the half tomorrow).
    Shades, hope that calf eases up soon.

Hazelwood parkrun today...this one is a bit of journey as it's just out of London past Bushy Park, but not as far as the two in Essex I've done recently. I didn't want a long journey the day before a half, or a hilly one. It takes place at the London Irish RC so it's almost all on grass and is flat, which makes it a bit easier on my legs.
    I was pleased to see my old parkrun friend Tunde there (I met him on the tram to South Norwood a couple of years back and we've done a few parkruns together since). I'd not seen him since before the pandemic so it was good to meet up again. He also gave me a lift home which was nice of him and meant I didn't have to get the train back (although I'd already got a ticket).

The parkrun itself was pretty standard for my current form - made it 27:01 on my watch but it was upgraded to 26:58 in the results (I was slightly annoyed as I need a :00 for my parkrun bingo - part of the tourist running challenges - but it's nice to get a sub-27 anyway). It's not an especially busy parkrun so I also nabbed first in my age group and 7th lady.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Great running more to come there still.
    Cal-Her sister,mum and dad all ran it today so must be weird for them getting medals with Steph on it.
    Big G-Good luck for tomorrow with your bonus race,made me check mine and I've got 2 deferred races from last year in October and November.
  • Cal - Good luck tomorrow too and for your scan. I hadn’t noticed her on the medal. 

Shades - When I say not eyeballs out, it was still hard and I continue to dislike the shorter stuff. I just mean between the congestion, the twists and turns and the fact there was no point I felt like dying, it didn’t feel all out. Obviously I’ll have to see how doms are tomorrow (legs good now) but would c.13 miles super easy be too much still you think?

Looking forward to watching the great north run tomorrow too

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, to get such a big PB in those conditions with the paths etc is great going.  Very well done.  That isn't far off the overall pace you did for the 5k the other week, is it?  From that 10K, you've definitely got sub-20 5K in you on the right day.

Well done, Cal.  That's a good run from you, too. 
  • Big G - Thanks. Yes you’re right this was exactly 2x the 5k I did in early august. Not sure when I’ll next have a crack at it now that I’m marathon training but hopefully after this block I can finally get the elusive <20. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Cal - you're back doing good consistent times again now, well done.
    Hope you have a good race tomorrow.

Ian - good luck for tomorrow and for OH too.

Big G - hope you have a good run at Torbay.

Rcouture - decide in the morning, I think you'll soon know if 13 is doable.  You should be fine.

I'm looking forward too to watching the GNR, Eilish McColgan's first half marathon.   I don't know who else is running.

• Rcouture - I did 18 the day after the Summer Run last weekend and I'm a knackered old 50-something with a dodgy hamstring and a potentially dodgy heart. So yeah, you totally can.  :D
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to all racing today.

My DOMS has cleared now apart from slight ache in glutes but my calf is still a bit niggly so have ditched my run today.   I'm sure it'll be fine in a day or so but a long run today wouldn't do it any good.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I was strangely nervous this morning, I think because (despite what I said yesterday about not being too bothered!) I woke up and wanted to do well today.  I don't do many halfs and my PB from 2016 is soft at 1:33:56, so I wanted to beat that if I could.  I hadn't slept too well, but I felt well fuelled etc.  The great thing about this race is that even though it starts at 9:00am, I only left the house at 8:30am, jogged the mile down there as a warm up, used the loo, and then went to the start area, starting fairly near the front. 

Gun went off promptly at 9am and I was over the line in about 9-secs and quickly got into my original target pace of 7min/miles, and I was running with a couple of Trotters for 2 or 3 miles, who I felt probably were going a bit quick for them.  I did ease away from them, and finished about 10-mins ahead in the end.

Anyway, I do a lot of my training on this course, so I know it well, and the 7min/miles were feeling good.  It is a 2-lapper, with a hill on the outward section and a longer/steeper hill on the backward section each lap.  But as I say, I know the course really well and paced those sections as well as I ever have in this race.  At about half way, as I was feeling good still, I upped the pace a bit and managed to hold that effort until the rest of the race, and I picked off two Trotters in front of me, finishing 2nd Trotter overall (as a side note, it is really annoying that most of us - me included - aren't in the results under our club name, which is going to make it difficult for me to do the Club Champs as I am going to have to trawl though the results.....).

I knew from early on that a PB was more or less guaranteed and also actually a sub-90 was on the cards, which has been a big goal of mine for quite some time.  I have been capable of it in the past, but never actually done it.  Entering the Paignton sea front for the last time I glanced at my watch and I had two minutes to get to the finish.  I emptied the tank and I finished in an official time of.....1:29:09!!!!   Absolutely delighted.  Over the moon in fact!  This is the 12th time I have done this event and my course best from 2015 was 1:38.

I didn't see her but OH got the below of me a few metres from the finish line.  I was absolutely blowing here and felt dizzy at the end and was staggering about slightly at the finish.  I didn't fall over though :)  It is funny as my Garmin has a collision detection feature and because I stopped so suddenly after the finish line it thought I had fallen over and asked me if I wanted to text OH (it wouldn't have worked as I didnt have my phone, but I have never seen that before)!

Anyway, OH caught up wth me in the finish area (she was quite emotional!), and then I jogged home for a shower whilst she was waiting for some friends to finish, and then I walked back into town to meet her and she brought me breakfast which I do feel was well deserved!

Splits below, with HR (reminder my max is 195).  Arguably too slow in the first half I suppose, but I had nothing left at the end so I feel I paced it well.  I finished 43/765 - first time on the first page of the results.
      1 6:53 155 bpm
      2 6:52 166 bpm
      3 6:53 166 bpm
      4 6:41 168 bpm
      5 6:42 171 bpm
      6 7:03 172 bpm
      7 6:36 172 bpm
      8 6:40 177 bpm
      9 6:48 177 bpm
     10 6:33 180 bpm
     11 6:34 181 bpm
     12 7:04 183 bpm
     13 6:29 182 bpm
     14 1:18 187 bpm, which was about 45:12 through half way, and about 44mins for the second half.

So, in summary.  A PB.  Happy days :)  

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Enjoyable race today,pretty flat course with a slight uphill from 7-10,perfect weather really.
    First mile a little quick but it's downhill then settled in to a really good rhythm,I set off at 1:27:30ish to see how it felt,felt fine until 7 when we hit the gradual hills and by 10 I was just over 1:28 pace so realised I needed to step up a bit,luckily I wasn't full out so could go a little faster on the flat,finished in 1:27:53 so just under target.
    I'm really happy with it,4 mins off my PB but after the last year that's really good and sets me up well for a winter of good training knowing I'm in a good place.Stats show I ran a decently paced race I think.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Xpost,Brilliant mate,really well done and no less than you deserved,if you emptied the tank you paced it well,well done again.
  • Great job, Big G and Ian - looks like you both had a good day at the office. I wish the same could be said for me.
    After a very disappointing run at The Big Half, I was hoping that was a blip and I could manage a sub-2 here (still a way above my PB of 1:52:56, but acceptable after recent troubles). First few miles felt quite good but then we got onto the horrible stony trail section along the river and I slowed here. Things didn't improve when we got back onto a better surface - I was labouring and I could feel a very small amount of discomfort in my upper ribs, which might well have been a stitch but after two ECGs and the TTE (Echo) I got two days ago, I began to feel paranoid that I might actually have a problem. After that I decided I would just Jeff it in, so the last six miles featured a few walk breaks. Strangely, once I'd taken that pressure off myself, I actually enjoyed it a bit and was less unhappy with my time than I was at the Big Half, even though I came in at 2:13:32 (which, incidentally, is worse than all but the lone half marathon I did in 2011, back when I ran in tracky bottoms with no Garmin and trained off one run a week and spent the rest of the time lifting weights).

I will almost certainly bail on Manchester now - I'm just not ready and I think I need to find out the results of the echo before I do much else. I'll likely still do the Pride 10K next week as I seem to be able to cope with pace up to around 6 miles. Not sure about the half marathon after that.

Hamstring tendon is pretty grumpy again, too, which isn't great. But hey I got a nice medal with Steph on it and a box of porridge, so I've got that going for me.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a brilliant time and a well deserved PB, you've waited quite a while to get the opportunity to nail a sub 1:30.

That should give you confidence now to go out at PB pace at Dorney.

That's so funny that your Garmin sort of asks you if you're alright.   :smiley:

Ian - great run from you too today and making your target, must have been all that Portuguese hill training.    ;)

As with Big G that must give you confidence for a good result for your next marathon.

Cal - so sorry you had a bad race.   I feel that awaiting the results of the echo is really playing on your mind.  Once you got to a not so good part of the race, in this case the stony path, the doubts kick in.

Not all races are about PB's, perhaps you could run Manchester at an easier pace to restore your confidence in your ability and enjoy the occasion   Surely you'll have had your echo results by then.

Incidentally RunBritain have put a note on their race results page saying Brighton marathon results not eligible.   If that means London marathon won't recognise the finish times for GFA there are going to be some very angry runners.

Watched GNR, really good to see Eilish do so well and Marc Scott get the win.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it has been a long time coming, which does make it sweeter too.  I really am very pleased!  I know Torbay can't be described as hilly but I reckon something like Bideford or Bridgwater is worth a bit of time as well.  I am wondering whether to go down to Tavy 5k the coming weekend and have a crack at my 5k PB, but I will see how the week goes.  According to the pace calculator, my time from today could give me a (albeit very small!) 5K PB.  

Cal, sorry to hear about your event today.  Maybe wait for the test results before deciding what to do about Manchester?  You could still see Colin, and enjoy the race for the atmosphere etc if the results are clear.

Ian, I saw your time on Strava just now and saw you got under your 1:28 goal.  That is really great news and at least the door is still open if everything comes together at London.   Well done!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Bad luck on the race,when are you getting your results back?
    Shades-Yes it gives me more confidence for London now.
    Big G-Because I'm also in the virtual,technically I could trim my strava to 26.2 at London and they should accept that as my virtual run,not sure but if they were to I'd only need about 3:15 to get gfa for 2022,but if I get my time off for Boston then I'll likely do Chicago in October 22 anyway.
  • Cal - Sorry to hear you had a rough day. Hopefully the test results will ease your mind. 

Big G - Fabulous result. Great to see PBs from HR training even with experienced runners. How were the vaporflys? 

Ian - Great result ahead of London and that you feel back on track. When was your half PB?
  • Big G/Shades...yeah, OK, I will hold off a bit. Not sure when I will get the results...hope it's soon.

So Brighton not only doesn't have an EA license but the course was also 568m too long. Oops!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, shoes were good. I did mess about with them on my warm up as they felt too tight, but then during the race I was worrying one would come undone as it started to feel a bit loose at around 10 miles, but all was fine. I’ll wear them for Dorney I imagine.  

Shades, just seen that Brighton was 568m too long, according to their own Twitter. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X post, Cal....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - might certainly be a good time to go to Tavistock for a 5km PB attempt.  At least without pre-entry you can wait and see if conditions are good.

Ian - just make sure you don't get disqualified by entering the virtual, I looked at the website and it clearly says you can't do both.

Cal - glad to hear you'll wait a while to decide about the marathon.

Big G/Cal - so they clearly didn't get the course measured at Brighton.   Even if they had got it measured laying out a longer route wouldn't necessarily eliminate it from counting for GFA purposes, but as they didn't get a licence that's irrelevant.

Any idea why they didn't have a licence?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I didn't see that,I'm not taking any chances so I've just emailed London and explained the situation.They can see I entered it after the ballot rejection and ages before I knew about the club place so should be OK,I won't use my virtual time then.