Sub 3

Comments

• ToroToro ✭✭✭
    OO - At the moment I am but depends on a few things, my watch rotation (don't want to be losing out on too much sleep) - I am 12hrs on/off for last 30 days, heat, flying, treadmill availability, output/why. I have no reason to do it unless there are more people doing it (more have signed up but not sure if it will be held as a race) so I am loathed to burn my fitness for a marathon I don't need to do when I can wait and keep building for ironman racing next year. Weight is coming off nicely right now.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - do you do every long and medium in those TC now ? Will you wear them at vlm?

CC - sounds like you need a trip back to Newcastle so you dont build it up too much to be something its not......i did Brighton 2018, as its localish to me. Didn't go well as my dad was in hospital very poorly (i was in no frame of mind to race) and it was the worse weather theyd had in the 10 years of the race. A howling gale and lots of it is seafront based........its a great place for a short break, its a 12000 runners race with some well supported sections and plenty of sea air, but probably half of it it sea front based.......im going back as i need to set the record straight, i love the motivation of a re match.

OO - you're going well, more tasty pace. Good idea re November. I still have one more deferred Goodwood mara which is December, dont think ill need warm weather prep.

Hope you go well sunday joe, i see the odd heron, one made me jump when i was running over a tiny bridge/stream and it flew out of the stream.

6m today, was creaking away. Had a hip/bum cake thing lately which is starting to be an issue, so i hit it with loads of exercises, roller and spiky ball......now loads hurts.
  • TR - fingers crossed that settles down for you.
    Toro - that sounds like a tough session.
    Wardi - Reading HM on the 7th of November but with other stuff going on I'm not too bothered if I don't get in champs qualifying shape. It's be nice to manage it in sub-75 at least though. I've got the NB Fuel Cell Propel as a general trainer. Very very comfy.
    OO - nice accidental mlr double. Some days you just want to keep going!
    joe - thanks re: the blog. Should be another one along in the next few days hopefully. Good luck for Sunday.
    I had stuff to sort out yesterday so took that as my rest day for the week. Back at it today. Wrong choice of trainers this morning when I tried to do 1m reps @ HM effort on the road (greasy from light rain), so I stopped at 2 reps and done 10 x 1/1 on grass in my afternoon run instead.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Bum cakes TR?! Hope it hurts loads in a good way post spikey ball?

80 min on treadmill at 12.1km/hr. 16km on machine. 14.8km on watch. HR 135 sub 75% HR. Pleased with that. Approx 25 degrees but under the vent.
  • TR - Go easy now, only 3 or so weeks to go.  Not too many fitness gains to be had, any plenty to lose if get injured.
    Toro - Quite a few issues there with the virtual.  I ran it in 2020, without a great deal of vim but useful.  It was a storm blowing that weekend, bit different from your conditions.
    Joe - Good luck to you too for the GNR.  A mega event.

4m v.easy with the pooch this morning, thinking another 10k TT this evening, be happy with anything under 38.30 as a busy week so far.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I think the scientific term is glute.

OO - one of the on going niggles of run 70mpw plus as an m50 i guess. Might get some pre race physio freeing up yet, i usually get mt hammy freed up. Hope the 10k goes well.

Drizzly 6m here, 20 inc 13.1m mp tomorrow.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    TR - Yes, these niggles do go with our age.  When I resumed training in July, the marathon plan I sketched had 3 10Ks @ 41mins. This will be the 4th weekly 10k (40.11, 38.40, 37.30) so treating it as a "bonus" and might even give my Vaporfly Next% their debut.

Good luck too with your 20m tomorrow, a big session.  
  • Good luck to this weekend's racers.

I've been lurking but not posting as work has been a bit busy, and then - just when I didn't need it - my sodding mobile broke which took several hours I didn't have to spare organising a new one and then putting all my passwords back in for apps.  Still haven't got work emails to work, but seeing as I'm WFH at the moment that's not really an issue.  It can wait until I have half an hour free to sit on hold to tech support...  60 miles last week and this week should be about the same, if not a fraction more.  14 hilly miles yesterday and 6 very steady today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    TR.. I've had my fair share of glute niggles so I share your pain.  Does it feel more muscle or nerve related?  With the latter the pain tends to move around rather than be in a fixed place.  Hope it eases for you.
    Jools.. pesky technology!  Are you android or IOS?  I use android Smartswitch which backs up all the stuff on your phone inc. apps, messages, contacts etc - should the worst happen.  Sounds like you are back up to good miles again, roll on Newport!
    OO.. good luck with the 10k TT.  I somehow knew you wouldn't be able to resist a Canary Islands marathon late in the year!
    CC2/Joe.. wishing you well for the GNR, conditions look good.

I decided to enter our local half this weekend (Vale of York), apart from a railway bridge the course is flatter than a billiard table.  Not sure how to pace it yet but will add a few miles on afterwards to make it closer to a long run.
    2 x 4m today, might pop down to Parkrun tomorrow but keep the handbrake on.
    Marathon shoe.. I haven't quite decided yet, I've run a lot of marathons over the years in light racers without any lasting damage so will probably opt for the RC Elites.

• TR - Hopefully you're feeling better today. You have a fun run lined up for tomorrow! Hope it goes well.
    OO - That 10k progress looks great. The right shoe could put you in the 36s I reckon. Exciting times.
    Wardi - good shout on the half. If you don't want to go too hard maybe it could be an MP+10% type workout?
    Toro - you've reminded me in that run of a gym treadmill run I did a few years ago which was an absolute sweatfest from the getgo. I suspect my HR was a lot higher than yours. Great effort.
    TT - Look forward to it. Surprised you were losing traction, although we have had a bit of rain and of course there are many different surfaces.
    Joolska - good mileage there. A good place to be. Shame on the phone but as Wardi said, with android now these issues seem far less faffy than they used to be.

Decided to make my last run pre GNR today rather than tomorrow so I can have a lie in. 3 miles with 4x100m pick ups on grass. Feeling a bit tired and sluggish but it is Friday! First Hartlepool home game tomorrow in over 4 years I think so a pretty exciting weekend all round (exciting for me at least, i'm sure it wouldn't get too many others excited). Good to see that the shakespeare marathon has been organised for end April. Given it's a 30 min drive away I can see that being my spring marathon of choice. Also looking at Dorney Lake for half marathon in December.
  • The apps were installed automatically, but not everything seemed to copy across properly, e.g. the Railcard app was there, but not the Railcard inside it; I had to go through some security stuff with my banking app, I had to confirm my mobile number for WhatsApp and Signal, etc., etc.  All fine, and I'd rather there was some modicum of security, I just didn't really have the time for it!  At least my court ID transferred across, seeing as I've got to go to an actual court building on Monday/Tuesday instead of attending from Chez Joolska.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    OO -I enjoyed last years albeit a wobble round in 3:55 ish. 
  • Wardi - good luck with VoY!

joe 
    - I find certain trainers don't grip so well when it's greasy. Sounds like a good weekend ahead for you. 

Jools - nightmare with the phone. I went through similar a while ago after closing mine in a van door. I'd only had it a month too!

6 jog/10 easy with 8 x 2/1 on grass in the middle here today. The 2' fast was only at 5m-10km effort so a nice small workout. Gym in a bit too. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - how did yr TT go ? Did you break out the shoes.

Wardi - do you have some RC ?.......the glute thing is probably lower back related as i sudpect the hammies are. Just try to manage that and the OP as best as possible. Stiff old bodies that take a pounding! Marathon training is beyond the running for fitness.

Joe - did you enter Manc too? Shakespeare sounds good.

Good stuff TT

Starting to look like i missed an ideal day Sunday esp looking at the wind speed, which isnt a vlm issue.

Will have a few frothies later to prepare for tomorrow's toughie, although if the wind is as strong as it is now, I'll just do a progressive +10% instead and do some mp elsewhere.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Wardi - Ha ha, yes, love a marathon in the sun.  A half marathon this Sunday, that's a bonus and perfect timing for London, good luck. 

Joe - Enjoy the game and run well on Sunday.

That's a good days training TT.

TR
    - Yes I debuted the Next% and after 37.30 last week, 36.28 this, an all time PB. I thought I'd have a good run when the first few miles came out at 5.50 and 5.48 and didn't feel that tough.  Overall,  6.02 mm last week, 5.52 mm this.  A bit left in the tank too. So really pleased.

Same course, same day and time of day though conditions were cooler (but breezier).  I am a shade lighter than last week but the shoes did the rest. They felt bouncy and peppy - I liked them.  Reckon the shoes were worth 8 secs a mile this evening,  so over a marathon 3 minutes or so, well worth having.

Good luck tomorrow and good idea to modify based on conditions. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - excellent, top progress. With a number on you'd defo gain another 60sec plus, so you are in good shape, if you have done the miles you'll be on for a goid time. Goes to show the need for doing some quick running/LT work as M50s (which P and D added to the recent version)......i just found the shoes soft when i used them for my 1/2 in july, rather than fast. Might be a pace thing though, i suspect the quicker that someone runs the more they help. As SJ said some folks dont respond, but there's also the leg protecting side of it to consider, which will come in over a marathon.
  • OO - cracking run! You're in great shape. 

TR - hopefully the weather there is as calm as here. 

10m here earlier. Had a really nice rhythm and am starting to feel stronger so fingers crossed that starts to translate to quicker paces. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good oh TT, yes was a good day to run today, cooler than recently and minimal breeze.

3wk out, 13.1m mp test run, 4m, 13.1m, 3m on the usual route, undulating in the early and late miles (out and back route). Did 1.27.04 in Sept, 1.27.42 in april and 1.28.51 in june. I wanted to get back in the 1.27s, got moving early and was slightly ahead of the 1.27.0X run rate and maintained it, coming in at 1.26.42 (av 6.37), probably worth 1.25 on the flat. Today was cooler than recently though and the wind was pretty minimal.
  • TT - Great you starting to feel your on the brink of your pacy old self.

TR - Thats more than on the button. Faster than the previous sessions, great confidence/ confirmation your in great shape when you need to be.  So, what shoes you going to race in for the marathon.

5m very easy this morning, same later and last long run with London bound club mates tomorrow. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - pleased to be back where i was pre CV. I ran a strong solo windy 2.58 in april and im hopefully better shape than then......I'll probably wear the Next%2, although i havnt worn them since Julys 1/2.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    TR.. Great HM section in that long run, decent confidence booster.  Good to hear the weather behaved too.

TT.. nice 10 miler and encouraging that you're feeling stronger

OO.. hope your long run goes well.

Best of luck to CC2 & Joe at the GNR tomorrow.

I had a brisk but controlled run at Parkrun.  22.50 is about 20 secs a mile slower than my usual effort but enough to keep my legs firing quickly before the half tomorrow.  Forecast is 7mph winds and13-15 degrees with sunny intervals, near ideal.
    TR.. I'm running in the RC shoes tomorrow.  I did buy those first and they are a bit snappier than the TC with less cushioning.
    If anyone is following the tennis, apparently the Raducanu match is now on Channel 4 tonight 9pm.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    TR - great run. Looking really good. 

A bonus 5m here this afternoon. Plan is for 6.5+ easy tomorrow to make a round 90 (swapped my rest day to Wednesday instead of tomorrow). 
  • Great session TR. How was your bum cake during it? 

I had a progressive plod around Jesmond Dene parkrun this morning. One of the few NE ones I haven't done previously. At one stage I'd dome them all, but new ones have cropped up since then. 

Best get an early night in, since I need to leave at 7.30am in the morning. No staying up to watch the tennis (but hopefully I can watch it on catch up on All4 at some point).

I assume Joe you are also in the yellow and white stripey wave? I have no idea what you look like otherwise I'd say hello. I'll be in the ugly but distinctive colours of Notts AC. My hair is black these days though.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    TT - 90 miles is impressive.  Well done/ managed.
    Wardi - Still a decent time for the PR.

The relief of the last long run pre-marathon done. 

22m of which 20m was the real run with 8 club mates along the local flat Camel trail used by lots of marathon runners today. More or less went to plan, with the 12m Wadebridge to Padstow and back section being very chatty, coming out 7.12 mm and the 4m out and back (8 in total) being progressive from 6.47 to 6.25 and averaging 6.35.  This was with just one clubmate and a bit less chatty to give 6.59 average overall so a good mix of slower and faster stuff.  80 miles for the week so just got to avoid Covid now as there is a few work and child-related challenges coming down the track with that.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope the racers wenr well, took the dog to the shore early and was thinking how amazingly still it was, but it was pretty warm though.

Wardi - i remember the discussion now, about you getting some TC cos you like the RC, hopefully they went well today.

TT - 90 is a lot, you must be reaching peak miles soon.

CC - bum-cake/hip thing was more annoying than holding me back yday, will keep working on loosening it up. It dawned on me today that it probably wont like a 2hr drive on race day.

OO - that was a strong run, you've had a good few days. Id avoid running with yr mates again now in order to save matches.

Turbo here today
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Brughton didnt have a licence in time, so might not make p of 10. They must have changed the route slightly as they just put this out........

We would like to apologise to our marathon participants that the course today has measured 568m too long. We are wholly disappointed that this has affected our runners & hope that it hasn’t marred the experience, at what has been a fantastic comeback after event after 18 months.

Ollie Garrod was overtaken in the last hundred meters or so too after leading all the way.
  • I bet you're even more glad you deferred now TR!

GNR was weird. The course was harder than the usual one with an uphill finish and a headwind for most of the second half, but despite an agonisingly slow 10th mile I managed a new PB of 1.23.53. I'd finished, got my T-shirt and medal, trekked at least a mile to the baggage tent a couple miles further to the station (via queuing in Costa for 10 mins for post run coffee and a mooch around Start Fitness's actual shop), waited an age for a metro and got back to my hotel room and there were still people crossing the start line on TV.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    CC2 - Yes! Amazing news on the PB and crazy queues.

TT - Mega miles. Hope you feel good.

TR - Do you Zwift? 

Wardi - How'd you go? The tennis sounded good from what I've read. We are just outside of our TV satellite envelope so couldn't see it.

I did 2hrs easy last night. 24km on treadmill. Feel tired now after 8hrs of bike/run this week. Will rest on Monday and then have two big weeks of triathlon training. Aiming for 15 hour weeks.  
  • Congratulations on the PB, Speedy.

I saw about Brighton not having a licence and being the wrong length.  I assume they must have had either privately sourced insurance or an ARC licence, though?  Otherwise presumably they were allowing that race to go ahead without any public liability insurance, which sounds ... interesting.

13 miles with 4 x 1 mile reps yesterday (legs felt sh!te and the times were depressing) and then 17 ploddy miles today.  Still, 62 miles for the week, and hopefully after a couple more weeks the legs will remember how to cope with bigger mileage!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Not sure I like staggered starts with big gaps CC2, in Barca they go in 2 minute intervals which is surely enough.  Congrats on the PB, that's a cracking run. Shame about the headwind as winds were very light here.

OO..that's a tasty combo of paces in that run, nicely done.

TR.. big shame about Brighton, that is quite a distance to be out by!

Mixed feelings about my half.. a bad patch of feeling out of sorts, breathing not right from roughly 3-7m which lost me a fair bit of time.  Rallied after that and got back on pace, 1:43.10 the end result. Not too disappointed as it was just great to be racing again and see a few clubmates.  Pizza and a couple of beers ready for a mini celebration.
    1st lady ran 76.17 in what was her first half. Her name was familiar (Georgia Malir), turns out I used to compete against her Mum in my heyday!
    Ran an extra 4m after the race so 17m for the day and 64m for the week.