Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I agree, it's not worth the risk.   Just would hate for you to put all that effort in and be disqualified on a technicality.

You'll just have to run faster at London 😉
  • Options
    Brighton seem slapdash except for their marketing. Not sure I’ve received more emails selling me all manner of crap from any other organisation. 

Forgot to mention in all the race excitement that I went for 10 at lunch. Was in two minds about going longer as I felt good but thought best to be sensible. 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I agree,never even looked in to it,just need 3:09:59 now 😢  think I'll head to Chicago 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - just as well you decided not to do Brighton, you'd not have been happy if you'd done a PB or even a GFA only to find that the time might not be recognised.

One year they famously ran out of water.

Well done on your 10 today, I take it your legs feel OK.

Ian - well according to Runworks calculator your time today gives you a predicted marathon time of sub 3:04.   A very hard ask but not impossible, you'll need to set off at that pace.  😮

Hope OH had a good race today too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    That's a shambles from Brighton,to make it even worse I just read it was up a hill that they made it wrong,people should have turned earlier.
    Shades-Seems a bit too fast for now,only 2 mins slower than my pb and today was 4mins slower over half the distance,will have a think.
  • Options
    Shades - Legs felt fine actually today. Do you prefer runworks to Macmillan? I have used the latter for race prediction. Yes it’s a blessing in disguise re Brighton. I still actually have a deferred entry for next year but will now be as a fallback option. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I forgot to reply earlier,my half pb was set 2 years ago,I've only actually raced 1 other since then.I think if I can get more consistent miles in over the winter I'll have a good chance of breaking it in the spring.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Still buzzing from yesterday.  Haven't felt this good after a race for a long time!  Basically, everything went well and I wouldn't change anything; food/fluid before the race (I didn't take anything at all during the race, not even water), pacing, kit, weather was perfect, and of course the finish time.  Really pleased.

Similar to you Ian, if I can get a decent block of consistent running through the rest of this year, I am hoping to break my times as well.

My attention is turning to Dorney, but also Newport which I have now entered.  I think I prefer the prospect of Newport over Dorney to be totally honest, and in my mind now Newport is my key race (depending on the weather etc).  I have just put that half time into McMillan and it gives me a fairly comfortable PB (3:07, which feels too quick).  I think I am going to go out at 3:15 pace (which is still quite a big PB) and then just see how it goes, but I have plenty of time to figure that out yet.  I have also entered New Forest (25th Sept), which is actually the week before Dorney, but I will not be 'racing' that one at all.  I have had my eye on it but had discounted it due to Dorney, but as I say I am veering towards Newport anyway.  For me though, one week between marathons is generally okay as I have PBd before in the middle of a string of weekly marathons so I am not overly worried about this, and certainly if I am feeling good I am still planning on giving Dorney a really good crack.  If I am not feeling good, it is another one ticked off.  New Forest has a running weekend including camping and live music, so OH is coming and we are making the weekend of it in the van, with Tigg, and I am looking forward to it.  It has been on the list for a few years but again accommodation prices have put me off in the past, but with the van it is okay. 

Just having a coffee and about to head out for a short recovery run.  Legs feel totally fine at the moment.   Regarding the shoes, I really do feel I could have ran that time in my previous 'racing' shoes, but my legs feel really good this morning, better than I think they would have done if I had used my regular shoes.  Also, believe it or not, I have really missed Zwift this last couple of weeks, so I am looking forward to getting back on there.  I can't help feeling that Zwift, along with the weight loss and MAF, has helped quite a lot of my overall fitness so I am keen to keep that up.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - inexcusable for a big well established race like Brighton to get the course wrong...didn't somebody check?   And to not have a race permit is unbelievable, I assume the event isn't organised by anyone who knows anything about running.   

Rcouture - McMillan changed the format of the calculator a while ago, having to put email address in and target time etc which isn't what I want if I need to calculate race predictions for runners, takes too long.   Runworks is much better and quicker to use, can also factor in temperature and hills if the race is hilly.

I think Brighton will make sure they have a permit and the correct course next year so should be safe to do it.

Big G - great to hear you're still on a high from such a good run.   Pity your marathon isn't this weekend as aiming for a marathon PB off another great run is a huge mental bonus.

As you're now going to target Newport, I think you could PB at both, I take it you won't be doing Langdale the day before  ;)

On Runworks your predicted PB for the marathon is 3:06 so I think you should go out at Dorney at 3:10 pace and you could get a good PB off that.  If that happens then ramp it up at Newport and go out at 3:06 pace.

Yes, very pricey for accommodation in the NF.    I used to love the old NF marathon, with a mile or so off road which I tolerated as it's such a beautiful part of the country, but now half of it is off road no longer appeals to me.

8 miles today, flat/undulating and wore a pair of shoes with 10mm heel drop to protect calf and it was fine.   Nice morning.

No gym today, hairdresser coming this morning and later the plumber is coming to fix leak, so I'm grounded as I expect plumber will be late in the day.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw that Vienna DQ'd the winner for wearing illegal shoes.  No excuse at that level for not knowing the rules. 

Just done a 4-mile recovery run.  Legs fine generally, but there is still that slight niggle in the hammie which refuses to completely go.   
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Sounds like he knew the rules as he presented proper shoes at the check in,then raced in dodgy shoes.
    I'm feeling OK today except my Plantar is a little sore,first time in 6 months,it was a bit trailly in places so thinking a rock or something aggravated it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - even if the Vienna runner's manager/agent filled out the form stating what shoes he'd be wearing, still no excuse.

That hammie niggle doesn't seem to be stopping you running well, I wouldn't worry about it, in time it will go.

Ian - back to the rehab exercises, hope it's just a passing niggle.

Incidentally when I was watching GNR and after the elites had set off they had a brilliant system for slowing the runners up so they crossed the starting line well spaced out.   They had put barriers up to make zig zag funnels so the runners had to go through the funnels in single file, about 3 or 4 per width of the road so there was no bunching up.   Would have helped the runners too as they weren't slowed down for the first mile or so that can often happen in a big race due to volume of people.   Wonder if they'll have the same system at London.
  • Options
    Big G - He was using the Adidas Prime X which the marketing quite clearly says is banned from competition and the shoes look very large so not sure how he thought he’d get away with it. Great that you liked the vaporflys. I also don’t know if they make me faster but they certainly feel good and as you say, seem to help with recovery. I don’t like the upper on them which seems fixed in the version 2s (which I am saving for my half next month). 

Shades - Yes McMillan is a hassle with the email stuff so this seems a better option. I did see the zigzags barriers at GNR. Presumably the chip timing would start afterwards!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - yes the start line with chip timing was after they had negotiated the funnels.   I'd like to see that system used at all big races.   My major dislike of big events is the crowding in the first mile or so until we can run more freely without risk of being tripped up or knocked over.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-London have replied and gave me the options so I've asked them to cancel my virtual place.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - crikey, they thought you might prefer the virtual to actual !

Full marks to them for their speedy reply.
  • Options
    Talking of being double booked, I just got a number in the post for Ealing half, which I hadn't realised I was entered into (I entered last year's cancelled race) and it's on the same day as the Harry Hawkes. FFS. Not sure I want to do either in my current state.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, regarding Barcelona, which supplier of the tests are you using?  I had a look on the Spanish site and there are quite a few different suppliers over there, or do you sort it with a UK supplier?  I am not ready to book anything but just doing a bit of research....honest! 

A very easy 45mins on Zwift this afternoon and I enjoyed it.  Trotters Committee meeting tonight, first time face-to-face for months.  To be honest, I would prefer it on Zoom just as it saves travel time and personally I find it just as productive, but I was outvoted :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-The last holiday we used TUI as we flew with them,I haven't looked at others yet,my mum used Randox and they were fine but it was a lot easier as they have an office in Liverpool so she just popped over.
  • Options
    6 miles this eve. HR nice and low. Rest day tomorrow as feeling a few small niggles here and there after running 5 days in a row including a race. My sister who I haven’t seen for almost 2 years is coming to stay from the States tomorrow which is exciting too. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's really annoying about having ended up with two races on one day and you're not really in the mood for either.   Too late for transfers or deferments I suppose.

Big G - well when you've finished your 'research' just let me know and I'll add it to the list  ;)

I agree re the committee meetings, we're even going to continue holding our AGM by Zoom.

Rcouture - that will be lovely to spend some time with your sister again, 2 years is a long time.   Hope she likes those shoes she bought you  ;)

Robert - how are you, have you got over those niggles and going to do your race on Sunday?

5 miles this morning, nice morning, had a lovely run even though it's very humid.   Pilates this morning.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning, very foggy and a lot cooler than yesterday.   Had a lovely run, even though I couldn't see much through the fog in places.

I heard that Brighton marathon are applying for a race permit, retrospectively, what a farce.   Don't know if that will happen, you can't buy insurance after the event so in theory nor a race permit, we'll see.
  • Options
    What is the main aim of retrospectively getting a licence? So that runners’ times are certified for gfa etc…?

6 miles for me too this morning. Painfully slow at 5:30am as usual. I’m scared to think how slow I’ll be at that time when I start commuting again with my backpack. I don’t care about pace for training as such, but more to actually get me into the office in time while keeping to MAF.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Didn’t manage to get out for a run yesterday although I did 45mins on Zwift. Yesterday afternoon we dropped Tigg off at a friend’s and came down to Cornwall for a gig at Eden Project, which was brilliant!  We saw Royal Blood, who were fantastic. Eden Project have a series of gigs over the next few days called Eden Sessions and this was one of those. We weren’t towards the front and had plenty of space, so all felt safe. The biomes were open so we had a wander around those too, which was a different experience in the evening. 

OH had found a pub that allows camping for free a couple of miles from the venue so we stayed there and we’re having breakfast there this morning, before going down to Land’s End later, as we’re seeing a show at Minack. Friends are staying at the same campsite we’ve booked for this evening, so it’ll be good to catch up with them.  

Did a lovely 6.5 mile loop this morning from where we’re staying.

Quite a decent backdrop for last night’s gig :) 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - it doesn't matter if your pace is slower with your early morning runs, as long as you're sticking to MAF HR's then when you run later in the day you'll be speedy again.   I expect as you get used to the morning runs your pace will improve anyway.

Re Brighton, yes they need a licence/permit for GFA times to count.   But as RunBritain had before the race out a note on their results page that the race wasn't eligible, I don't see how they can award a permit retrospectively.   What Brighton should have done is emailed all the runners before the race warning them that GFA times may not count as there was no permit in place, I doubt they did that.    A lot of runners not travelling abroad, to say Berlin this year, would have used Brighton for their GFA times.

Big G - lovely pic.   I thought you'd have no problems about feeling safe at the event.    Poor Tigg must be getting a bit confused about all this staying away from home.    ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I wouldn't be surprised if you pace carrying the bag is the same as your old pace without as you've improved a lot in the last few months.
    Shades-London have got back again and all sorted now.With not many races in the GFA window there definitely would have been a lot at Brighton disappointed with what's happened,both distance and permit.
    Tool a couple of days off as I had a lot on in work,off today and tomorrow so hoping to run both.
  • Options
    Shades re the Brighton UKA licence, I think it is possible to get a licence after the event as in 2014 Stevenage half (and marathon) didn't have one before, they advertised they did (which was an admin error) but they only get ARC.  A few complaints and they managed to get it issued, assuming they just bung them a few quid.

Cal - hope you get the results soon, worst past not knowing and being in limbo.  Well done on the tourism and finishing your race.  

Ian - cracking race at the weekend, hope that foot is behaving.

Rcouture - great 10k race, brill time and a decent PB, I know what you mean about 10k distances I hated them when I was running, I'd bung one early in a marathon plan just to see where I was at and dread it. 

Big G - Congrats on the sub 90 milestone and great you have a decent half local to you.

Seen reports about the winner of Brighton only became the winner after 26.2 miles had been run!  The bad PR will haunt them for a while, people will still sign up just how manchester got over the short course and baggage problems but it sticks in peoples minds.

Currently in tapernoria at the moment, I just want to be at CP3 the halfway point of the race and see how I feel, can I go on or call it a day.  Sitting around going insane.  Went out last night for our first club championship race, more of a social thing to say hello to a few faces.  1.5 mile either side and a 5km, ran in 27:59 and felt comfortable.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Ian - yes I agree, would have been a lot of hopeful GFA runners at Brighton.

Couple of days off would have helped with that PF niggle, you're nearly into taper time anyway.

Robert - at least with Stevenage they would have been insured through ARC but what's different about Brighton is that RunBritain have put a note on their results page saying race not eligible and that note has been there since before the race.   Why would they do that if it's possible to issue a licence retrospectively.   We'll have to wait and see.

I believe the winner overtook the 2nd placed runner in the last 100 metres, so some are arguing that he shouldn't be the winner as the course was long.   I don't agree with that, both saw the finish line and had to run the same distance.

Brighton had a year when they ran out of water and always lots of complaints not enough loos and runners not able to get to the start line for the start.   I'm assuming they've resolved those issues.

Manchester have got over those early year's problems and restored their reputation until now when they're giving start times for some runners as late as noon.  Lots of runners have dropped out.   If they wanted to spread the starts over such a long time then they should have moved the earliest start times by a couple of hours so all runners could have started by say 10 a.m.   People have to travel home, a few years ago my club did a trip to Manchester marathon, takes 5 hours to drive home on a Sunday evening to Devon.  Others would be relying on public transport.

Good to hear you're running comfortably again, back at club and preparing for your 50 miler at the weekend.😊
  • Options
    Brighton organisers really don't care about the runners, they just want the money. There's no way I'd run it, even though it's the town of my birth.

I took an extra day off yesterday (although I went to the gym) so hoped I could get a decent run in today, but sadly, no...legs were like lead and it felt way harder than it should have so I bailed after 3 miles. I have had a run of very poor sleep (particularly the night after the race) which is likely the reason, but I don't feel great. I'm hoping I'll be OK for my Saturday 10K as it's a fun race.

I have managed to get my Harry Hawkes entry pushed to another race (my choice is Hampton Court next Feb, since I always run that one anyway) although I'll have to pay £5. 
    May or may not do Ealing...I guess that depends on how I feel. I've run it twice and PB'd both times so I don't want to have a terrible race there. I've not run it since I left the school, but as it's been six years now, all the kids I'd have taught would have left by now, so hopefully I wouldn't get recognised.
  • Options
    Cal good news managed to transfer your race, now just the decision if to run Ealing or not.  I've had races that I have had good and bad races at, the bad races haven't tainted my memory of the good races.  When Brighton have it right its a great marathon, if the weather is good the support is awesome!

Shades re Brighton, they must have had some kind of liability insurance elsewhere? I agree about the winner/ runner up, if I was the Brighton organiser I'd probably be offering the runner up a sweetener for it to go no further.  As well as running out of water, they ran out of cups at other aid stations, there were issues with people using Preston Park rail station and overcrowding one year too.

Just when you think Manchester have it right, they go an spoil it with the start times, a couple of WJ have pulled out already.  I see they are still pushing Nutramino for race nutrition, least now they have a licence to sell in the UK so runners can try before running, which we couldn't in 2018.

There is live gps tracking for Saturday's run https://live.centurionrunning.com/CW50-2021/ 

The cp cut offs make my strategy easy. Give or take 15 mins my plan to reach checkpoints are 2,4,6,8,10 hrs which gives me 40 mins leeway at each cp.