Obese to (hopefully) ultra

Hello everyone,

I have done some running on and off over the years - nothing major, usually no more than 5K at a push, but did the GNR a few years back (broke my foot at mile 3 and didn't realise so just kept going!) - didn't have a brilliant time, I think it was around 2hr 50min, but at least I finished.

I really enjoy running, I'm just not very good at it yet! I went out on Sunday (in my new HOKA's - theyre amazing) and did 5k of run/walk - I'd say 60% of it was at a jog, the rest walking. I'm very overweight - 20st, 6ft, always been broad and stocky - but I was 23st a few months ago and the weight is still coming off at a steady, sustainable pace. I had planned to incorporate running 3-4 times a week to my activity. I currenty train with weights 2-3 times a week with a trainer, and until recently was doing spin class 2-3 times a week.

My first goal is to lose weight, which seems to be going OK for the moment! But eventually I'd love to be really ambitious and go for an ultra marathon - probably a 50mile. I don't just want to build the physical endurance for it, but also the mental fortitude. I hope it will carry over into everyday life. Ideally I'd like to do this before I'm 40 (just turned 37) and see where to go from there. Also joining a social running group - I think if I have something social with a group I'll be more likely to progress.

So hi everyone, looking forward to posting all about inevitable aches, pains and - hopefully - successes!

Daniel

Comments

• Morning Daniel - good luck with the running and the ambition of running an ultra. Always good to have a goal to aim for. And you're right with regards to the social running group. I joined a running club 3 years ago and the sense of togetherness is really good, everyone is supportive. It certainly helps when you have doubts about going out for that run on a cold and wet Tuesday evening.
  • > @Guarddog said:
    > Morning Daniel - good luck with the running and the ambition of running an ultra. Always good to have a goal to aim for. And you're right with regards to the social running group. I joined a running club 3 years ago and the sense of togetherness is really good, everyone is supportive. It certainly helps when you have doubts about going out for that run on a cold and wet Tuesday evening.

Thanks Guarddog :)

I've been out for two run this week and one walk (and a weights session and spin class) my running is still very slow. Did 5km in 45min exactly, with a combination of run 3min walk 1min. The first run left me aching badly haha but the second one I felt no aches after.

I signed up for a 10k in November in Hamsterley. I've no doubt half of it will be walking lol but I like to have something to work towards!
  • Hello Daniel,

I know exactly where you are coming from.

In 2013 I was 23st and managed, with running to get down to 11.5st. <div>
    The first time I ran I did 30 seconds and didn't think I could do anything. Over 2½ years I halved my bodyweight and got up to running around 20 miles on a Sunday. I mixed it with a lot cycling, swimming, boxercise and kettle bells. I really fell in love with running and planned my life around it and found it gave me the best mental health of my life. I also ended up doing two GNRs.

Unfortunately, life got in the way and studying in my 30s, while working overseas saw the exercise diminish and the weight come back on.

I'm 42 now and currently 20st so want to do something about it. 

Two years I took up taekwondo and loved it but ended up snapping a knee ligament and have had a torid time since then with injuries. I'm now on week two of the c25k. I'm struggling with tight Achilles so figured I'd take it easy. Hoping I can fall in love with it again like you. I wish you all the very best. 

Which Hoka's did you get?

I bought some ASICS Cumulus earlier this year and found in about 8 weeks of walking and starting the c25k the soles wore away fat far quicker than any Asics I've ever owned in the past. I recently bought some Saucony Ride 14, but after walking and two weeks of c25k the outside of the sole is wearing heavy. So looking for some decent shoes that suit a heavy underpronator.</div>
  • Hi Volt. That sounds like a tough journey, I hope everything heals over! And same with the studying - went to uni at 30 and put on about 5st :/ 

I got the Hoka Clifton 8’s. I have only worn them 4 times but they are the beat shoes I’ve tried to date, based on only limited time in them. Really cushioned, give a good spring back. <div>
    </div><div>I am currently battling some issues with my stomach. Lots of throwing up these last few weeks, and I’ve not eaten in 4 days now. Docs said just fluids til it settles so I’ve been drinking lots of water, lucozade and alpro soya milk. Great for weight loss but not in the healthy and sustainable way I wanted! Should all be sorted beginning of October after a small procedure then I’ll be back to normal. Just as well since I signed up for a 10k in November and need to actually train for it haha! </div>