Should I pull out of Manchester Marathon?

Hi,

I’m due to run Manchester Marathon in a couple of weeks. I’ve only ever done one marathon before and got around in 3.39 in 2019.

<div>For my first marathon I did a fair bit of training and I was training at marathon pace/quicker, this time I’ve been advised to train slower on my long runs, like 45 secs per mile slower. While I’ve been training slower, I’ve been struggling to maintain the slow and steady pace. Ive been blowing up on my long runs and my pace plummets even more, also been feeling really sick after long runs. I did get one good 20 miler in a few weeks ago at a slow pace but I’ve had numerous others that have been a disaster.

Today I wanted to get my last 20 miler in but I was struggling after mile 14 and stopped at mile 17. I was going slower than marathon pace but I was feeling sick, this may be due to anxiety.

So I now need to make a decision. Should I continue and do Manchester? I feel I would be gutted if I don’t get a PB or around the PB. On the other hand, should I just go for it and hope I get through it. If I pull out I lose my race fee and pride, if I do it I may surprise myself and be happy.</div>

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Before I start I have to say this has to be your decision, and only yours however, these are the things I would take into account.

How close do you live to Manchester? Are you close enough that you can make a decision on the day? If so you have a few more weeks to make a decision.

How much are you emotionally invested in the marathon? Do you have any other challenges or aims for the rest of this year?

How would you feel if you DNS compared to if you DNF? Which one would you feel worse about?

Are you medically healthy? You mentioned being sick, do you know what is causing this?

If you did the marathon and ended up injured or ill how would you feel?

It's a really tough decision, many friends of mine take the attitude, after the first marathon, that they can do another one because they know what they are facing. Many of them feel better DNF rather than DNS. 

I wish you well, which ever decision you make. 
  • Like TT says, it's really up to you. I'm in a similar situation - I have run 9 marathons, culminating with my first sub-4 at Yorkshire in 2019 (as a VW50 that was very close to GFA). 
    But this year has gone badly - I've had injuries and a health scare and my paces have fallen through the floor. The three half marathons I've done have all been over 2 hours, so I'm back to paces I was doing as a beginner racer in 2015. I know physically I could finish Manchester but it would be a lot slower (maybe even four and a half hours) and I don't think I'd enjoy it, so I've decided to suck up losing the race fee and concentrate on recovering my form before having another bash. The late start certainly hasn't helped either!
    For you, you've only done the one marathon, but I guess it depends on how important getting that PB is to you. I think the important thing for you is to get your head straight, since running a marathon is as much mental as physical.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div><a rel="nofollow">TT</a> said:</div>
    <div>Before I start I have to say this has to be your decision, and only yours however, these are the things I would take into account.

How close do you live to Manchester? Are you close enough that you can make a decision on the day? If so you have a few more weeks to make a decision.

How much are you emotionally invested in the marathon? Do you have any other challenges or aims for the rest of this year?

How would you feel if you DNS compared to if you DNF? Which one would you feel worse about?

Are you medically healthy? You mentioned being sick, do you know what is causing this?

If you did the marathon and ended up injured or ill how would you feel?

It's a really tough decision, many friends of mine take the attitude, after the first marathon, that they can do another one because they know what they are facing. Many of them feel better DNF rather than DNS. 

I wish you well, which ever decision you make. </div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks for your reply. Your exactly right, I need to make the decision myself and a lot to consider. Was just trying to get opinions.

I’m about 1.5 hours way from Manchester and have a hotel booked the night before. Think I can cancel the hotel up to a week before, but will obviously lose the race fee. Also medically ok as far as I’m aware, not sure if I’ve got my nutrition wrong on a number of occasions. Would just have liked to have got it right before race day!

Since writing my last message after my last failed long run, I decided to do a half marathon yesterday at a faster than marathon pace. Although I chose a flat course, I smashed it and felt ok. It’s so strange, it’s like my body can’t cope with the slower steady pace!
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Cal%20Jones" class="js-userCard" data-userid="106535">Cal Jones</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Like TT says, it's really up to you. I'm in a similar situation - I have run 9 marathons, culminating with my first sub-4 at Yorkshire in 2019 (as a VW50 that was very close to GFA). 
    But this year has gone badly - I've had injuries and a health scare and my paces have fallen through the floor. The three half marathons I've done have all been over 2 hours, so I'm back to paces I was doing as a beginner racer in 2015. I know physically I could finish Manchester but it would be a lot slower (maybe even four and a half hours) and I don't think I'd enjoy it, so I've decided to suck up losing the race fee and concentrate on recovering my form before having another bash. The late start certainly hasn't helped either!
    For you, you've only done the one marathon, but I guess it depends on how important getting that PB is to you. I think the important thing for you is to get your head straight, since running a marathon is as much mental as physical.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks for your reply. Wow, what you’ve achieved already is amazing finishing 9 marathons and also getting close to GFA. Sorry to hear about your health scare though, sounds like you’ve made the best decision pulling out based on this. Hope you get back on track soon.

As you say, I’ve only done one marathon. I’ve got a long way to go to get to your experience, maybe I should just give it a shot and learn from what happens on the day.

As I said previously, I can’t understand why I can’t cope with the slower pace when I can go out and smash a half marathon alot quicker a couple of days later and feel fine.
  • It sounds as though it's just nerves and you'll be fine, Banksey. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the vote of confidence Cal, hopefully that’s all it is and will get past it. Good luck in your recovery & future races.