Comrades 2022



  • JARJAR ✭✭
    Slow Duck, I just read your story and glad you're doing okay after that.
  • Peter R: just saw your comment about the Comrades crutches runner. I passed him as well. As I recall, he -was- official and they allowed him to start early, but he still missed cut-off, if not by a lot. Sorry to hear of his passing.
    Slow Duck: I have to say again how pleased I am that you've come through the snake bite and allergic reaction to it okay. Presumably now you'll need to carry an Epipen (adrenaline) in case of another bite resulting in a faster anaphylactic reaction.
  • JARJAR ✭✭
    Debra I didn't know Epipens were long does the affect last while you're running? asking for a friend
  • ... Peter R and I see I was remembering incorrectly about his official (or rather unofficial) status.
  • Debra, my brother (who is a doctor in Japan) basically said I need to get myself an Epipen.  I need to do some research on the procedure for getting one...
  • Slow Duck: download that article with the photo, take it or email it to your GP - I don't think you will have a problem persuading them to prescribe you an Epipen or equivalent (I think that's a brand name).
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Amazing achievement SD - 330km and I imagine quite hilly - must be incredible scenery too.  What an adventure.

    I won't be in the Lakes though - a bit far for me.

    Today I have the privilege to run my first 'race' since Comrades 2019 .  After all my hip troubles I was delighted to finish.  It counts as my 'local' race to my farm in a local game reserve.  It was advertised as 10km, but actually 12km off road which I got through in 1hr15min.  Also delighted that I could wear my 'F1' permanent race number.  Saw ostrich, blue wildebeast and giraffe only on the run.  Then 2 rhino as we were leaving the venue by car.
  • Bike It: well done on your race. Ostrich, wildebeast, giraffe and rhino (white?) sound great to see. Brings back memories, although I've not yet run anywhere that those would be around while I was running.
  • Hi all, been a while!  Theres talk on the comrades uk facebook page that the event MAY be held on 28th August 2022.  That application has been submitted to ASA for approval.  Dont know how much is in the rumour but looks fairly official.
  • Peter they tried to do same for August last year, can’t remember all reasons why rejected but one was the weather. Let’s see, 11 months out gives time for anything. 
  • I hope we get confirmation soon, whatever the date, so I can sort out and enter my races for next year while places are still available - having had to pull out on my intended goal race (Lakeland 100) because of a clash with a conference I need to go to.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    official email received, 28 August it is!
  • Official email from who, CMA? I thought only applied to SAA? I hope it is not in August 28 as that will clash with UTMB, and I am pretty sure a lot of runners will have same clash. Don't think vaccine situation is that far advanced in SA, still a Red Listed country too, so am very surprised how approved and so quickly?
  • Yeh I've had the email from CMA now as well.  So I guess if the event does happen, then looks like it will be August 28th!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm notified too! Wowsers! All this time running as a Stormtrooper has been acclimatising me 😅

  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Look out he's behind you (panto season has started 😀)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hmm, so is London on Sunday within the new qualification window or not 🤔 ... He goes to buy some ciggies so he has something to work it out on 😂
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Cough, splutter, wheeze... I reckon the new qualification window opens end of November!
  • run 89k dressed like that in the turned up heat and I’ll take you on safari lowrez 
    im sad it’s in august as now to decide on utmb which didn’t happen last year and this year impossible more or less to get there easily plus I wasn’t well enough. Big decision awaits. Unless I run event in Chamonix then fly to DUrbs on the Friday 😂 

    Still deciding whether to run London as well, advised yet again this morning by Cardiologist ‘for now keep taking meds, make sure sleep as much as possible, and exercise to loosen your lungs but not to exert’ so well a lack of training plan and running in general for 6 months on Saturday def no PB, def no Comrades zone 1 qualifier, to finish will be big for me (that’s if my body is having a good day, sometimes so fatigued can barely move, 2 days ago my HR reached 185 Bon just walking!!) but poss sub 4:50 then job done. Decisions, 😆 
  • I’d say fundamentally any qualifying window needs to incorporate the Majors at least, so from last Sunday. Besides it’s normally from august no, with the date only confirmed around now ish so always with a period behind too. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Have you had Covid Mark??? And have you got the Longs? I'm gonna switch from Brains to Lungs for my next charity drive. This shit has affected so many. Indications are though that you can come through this. You seriously should not overload or stress though man! Don't be a bloke! Take doctor's orders 🙂
  • Ah yes Lowrez thought I said maybe not updated, I’ve been to blooming hospital 4 times in last week alone, it’s a joke. 
    So in short I had a bad reaction to the vaccine (or as they say now body didn’t react to rather than side effect, a way of shifting blame from pharmaceuticals?) severe cold temperature then head pains AE, that eased then had inflammation on heart diagnosed Myocarditis since end April and pnuemoniaitis, umpteenth tests and drugs galore, end of Aug they decided to do full antibody test and appears I’m one of the 27% who never even knew they’d had COVID, so that’s a different spin on it all - if had COVID before and normally fit and well it is very likely that any vaccine will exasperate symptoms of COVID (in other words bring it out, and your body starts reacting to it) then numerous studies show athletes more prone as often immune compromised from workload, fact I’d ran good few miles along Yorkshire coast prior to vaccine partly to blame. Just unlucky I guess, I reluctantly had 2nd vaccine, if could rewind I’d not have had in first place even docs said unlikely without you’d be so effected by COVID alone given was as symptomatic! So now I’m differing from Long COVID pneumonia with MyoPericarditis and swallowing several Smarties a day, I’m back for repeat Lung function test next week. 
    I’ve missed half a dozen A races so to miss last one booked would be bloody annoying 🏃‍♂️ 🇿🇦 🏃‍♀️ 👍 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey mate that is just terrible. I do recall now you telling us of the symptoms a few weeks back. Good to have an update and further considered opinion from the quacks. Hope you are on the road to a full recovery.
  • Mark AA, sympathies. Really bad luck. PLEASE be careful and give your body time to recover.
  • Just had my email too! Yippee! 
    Cockle a doodle dooo! 

    Thanks Lowrez / Deborah. 👍 
  • Yes Mark take it easy, there's plenty of other races after London and it sounds like you need some recovery time at the minute!
  • ... and I see I've had that official email as well, so I guess I might as well enter SDW100 for 11-12 June - and probably NDW100 as well, have another go at sub-24 on that course. Gives me 3 weeks to recover from NDW100 before Comrades...
    At the moment I want to enjoy A100 and finish the Grand Slam, then have 2-3 weeks rest with only really easy short runs. November and December see how I feel and run some SVN events for fun and get back into proper (or at least regular) weight training. That gives me 20 weeks from the start of the year to ramp up for NDW50 in May, then SDW100, NDW100, and hopefully Comrades.
  • Cheers Peter. I’m thinking to do Seville and give that a proper go as if do London will only be sightseeing 😆 it’ll be my 7th time and it’s the Wanda Age Grading champs so get an extra medal. But won’t do sun 3:05 for GFA but I don’t know if too fussed to do again anyway. I like London but as say plenty of other maras. Someone said to me last month plenty of other half marathons - May we’ll be but not a great north run!  Can defer it up until Saturday evening but not so happy it’s in October again! 
    Have you given you Lakeland 100 away Debra? Another event lost out on this year then didn’t get in ballot for next year! Considered to do 50 on a charity entry but £200 until raise £100 - I pondered on it then it was too late. I’d love to do a 100 next year, or 24hr track, but mostly I want to a backyard ultra. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    But it's K2B in May Debra 🤣
Sign In or Register to comment.