Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - good that you can do a little bit.

CC - sounds familiar, in future ill save them for racing, but havnt had many chances to race this build up.

OO - mmmmm, hopefully your double jabs will protect you. I know a lot of households where the youngsters have it. Your pcr test might be a bit early for you to have caught it yet anyway.

Zero for me, i went walking with the spo and doggy instead of running. SPO has a family do this afternoon i have to attend, more CV risk.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Its back, and its negative. So LFT all week and try our best to keep away from the little bugger.  So, looking forward to a run this afternoon after 2 zeros, something pretty easy rather than the 12m with 5 fast I normally do.  Just be very happy to see the start line.

TR - Keep away from anyone under 15 and over 15 for that matter -  throw a sickie ?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. if ever there was a time to shut junior in a room and tell him to watch as much Netflix and play as many computer games as he wants this is surely it!  Glad that you have dodged a bullet for now.

CC2.  nice work in the relays, sounds like a decent blast before next week.

After my marshaling stint at Bramham Park I had to make up a convoluted route to run home (it's only about 6m as the crow flies). Pretty warm by then but managed 11.5m as my last MLR before next weekend.  49m for the week.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bramham Park in the sunshine.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    oo - fingers crossed
    Wardi - very nice
    cc2 - my sister ran too and seemed to enjoy it. (City of Stoke (B?))
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good news of sorts then OO. The way i see it is that we're going to catch CV once in a while over the next few years, but the vaccines will stop us getting too poorly, but it would good if we didnt catch it in marathon week.

Well done wardi, time to simmer.
  • I think your right TR, we just have to adapt to it, as it is adapting to us.
    Toro/ Wardi - Hopefully will continue to dodge, he is past his most infectious so fingers crossed.

The easy run became 1m easy and 5m fast @ 6.11 mm, as last proper session before London. Saved my week really so 36 for the week, 16 of which run at 6.25 or faster so a good chunk of pace in that. Just some runs with faster 1m bursts now until Friday. 
  • OO - A bit of danger in race week. That'll keep the heart rate up. Hope you manage to dodge and that the little one is ok. That's a nippy 5 miler. You look sharp!
    Wardi - sounds like a fairly classic taper week mileage. Just got to complete the job now.
    TR - This non-running from you is most unusual. Will all come good on race day though (fingers crossed).
    CC2 - Good time that even if it wasn't a PB. Not really about time I guess but race savvy. You seem to have handled it well. I had an invite to run but couldn't take it up with holiday travelling and my ribs. Shame because it's one I'd like to get involved with.

Got out for an 8 mile blast yesterday where ribs didn't seem to be an issue. Was quite warm but HR was pretty high so I had to back it off a bit. Going to try to get back on the HM plan this week but will have to listen to my body.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Back to sea, back on nights. Will do 45min recovery later. Legs feel good walking around although still in some sleep debt.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good pace there OO, probably good that there was some quicker stuff in the lower mileage. Due to my front loaded week i was still in the 60s despite a zero thursday after phys. Should be ok though.

5m easy home, got stung by a wasp so now have a popeye forearm.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. bet that 8 miler felt good.  Do you think it's your ribs that are the problem or a pulled muscle in that area?

Toro.. I used to do continental shifts when I was younger, doesn't half mess up your body clock!

OO.. good work getting that run in, a decent confidence boost.

A zero for me today.  I usually have two rest days in marathon week and heavy rain this morning followed by a strong wind this afternoon seemed a good excuse to take today off.  
    Marathon kit bag arrived today, I'm trying to think of non perishable snacks for post race.  Crisps and Peperami are the current favorites.  Can't see a sandwich faring well between Friday & Sunday.

• Hello folks.  I haven't been on here in ages (since April, looking back).  I've been ticking over but struggling with a lower back / hip niggle that wouldn't go away however much rest, stretching & physio I gve it.  

Anyway, to cut a long story short I found out Saturday I have a herniated disc, which will take a lot longer to sort out.  On the plus side I can still run, just not very often or at any pace, and after VLM (only missed one in 19 years, not missing this one!) I'll have a longer break to get it sorted.  

Thought I'd pop in though to see how you're getting on and who might be at the Red Lion on Sunday.  TR coming a cropper with nature - some things never change! :-)  

Wardi, a can of beer which you immediately pull from your bag and open with a flourish would be good
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD.. it's my birthday on Saturday so main celebrations postponed until Sunday.  A tinnie in the bag is therefore a good idea.  :)   Sorry to hear about that long term niggle but good that you can run on Sunday.
  • Nice to hear from you, CD, but sad news about the disc.  I hope you have a good race on Sunday.  I'm a DNS, and won't be coming up to spectate, but I will raise a virtual pint in your honour!

Calves are still very grumbly, although I think overall the trajectory is upwards, just not at the rate of improvement I had hoped for.  I'll keep on plugging away with strengthening and stretching...
  • Sorry if it has been asked before but what colour start does the yellow assembly area start from on Sunday?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Yellow start is at the front of the red start outside Greenwich Park gates.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Goid to see you CD, hopefully it wont set you back for too long, once you learn how to manage it. Good that you can still run Sunday.

6m inc 2m mp felt reassuringly rubbish this morning, achey hip, tight hammies.......still got an angry red forearm too.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Afternoon all.
    OO - cracking solo 10k there a while back; you're in good shape. Fingers crossed for you on the covid front.
    Wardi - nice to see the upward improvement at parkrun has resumed.
    TR - shame on the 10k but good that it loosened you up and will give a good training benefit (on top of the rest of your excellent training).
    Joolska/sj - sorry to read you're on/still on the bench.
    Not much to report here. Had a couple of dodgy weeks where I didn't run a lot (GP messed up my fibro meds which wrote off a few days, plus other stuff going on). Did do the motorbike CBT with my stepson though, which was a lot of fun (not been on a bike in a very very long time!).
    Off to the homeland again this weekend, so with everything going on I'm glad I chose to put Reading in the 'just enjoy it' bucket a while back. Running for the next fortnight will be just very easy stuff to balance out other stresses. Will see how I feel about doing a little bit of quicker stuff when I've got that under my belt.
    Most importantly however, good luck to all at London this weekend!

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Sorry to hear your news CD but great you can do the run on Sunday. Presume its a case of mother nature hopefully doing her magic. 

TR - It's supposed to feel that way 5 days out! Sign of a great taper.

Wardi Can imagine the look on the faces of the volunteers as they see your bag with lots of birthday tinnies.

Cheers TT  how frustrating with your medication. I think your plan for Reading is exactly the right one.

Good to hear Joolska that the calves are improving.

Well my Covid luck has run out. A  very rough 36 hours, 3 positive LFTs and awaiting my PCR result. I don't think I've ever felt so rotten like your worst ever hangover. So really really disappointed to have to give London a miss as training had gone so well.  If I am sensible hopefully Newport is still OK otherwise that's 4 marathons on the trot missed due to CV. Fortunately my son who tested positive on Saturday has made a really good recovery so far. 

So tracking TR/ Speedy and Wardi on Sunday now. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Good to see you TT, youre a busy man as ever

OO - oh bllx, isorry to hear that, i did wonder if that last PCR was a bit early. Good that you are double jabbed  though, a mate who recently had it said he was back to his usual gym/running quickly due to the double jabs. Biggest problem is the being locked indoors. Good news re yr lad too.........ive got to survive tomorrows train, 2 x tube, dlr double trip  without catching CV before im clear to run.
  • Dammit, OO.  Gutted for you! Take it easy and recover well.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Wretched news OO, even more so given your positive build up form.  Recover well and you will hopefully fly at Newport.

TT.. sorry to hear of more interruptions, did I see you are considering Manchester next spring?  Best of luck with the family duties.

TR.. typical heavy/cranky leg taper feeling by the sound of it.  Hope your Expo journey is a smooth one.

5.4m this morning, after a sluggish first mile I was putting the handbrake on & felt quite comfy.  
  • OO - oh no! That's so crap! Fingers crossed you recover quickly.
    TR - safe lurgy free travels!
    Wardi - considered, and entered :) I wanted a spring marathon seen as I'll be a shiny new v45. Good signs for you this morning!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Oh and pre marathon haircut done too!
  • OO - That's terrible news. Pure luck of the draw I guess and having kids around! Good luck with the recovery. Fingers crossed you'll ride it out and have fresh legs for a little more training and Newport.
    TT - Enjoy the trip home. I'm sure you're still in great shape even with disrupted training.
    TR - Good luck at the expo. Par for the course to feel naff in marathon week.
    Wardi - pulled muscle I think. I can feel (and see) the swelling. Nice little run, taking it easy. Your pre marathon haircut is probably not as sharp as mine. And I don't need the weight off!
    CD - Good news of sorts on the diagnosis. Hope you pull through on Sunday ok. 

Couple of runs yesterday totalling 5 miles and 9 miles tonight with the club including 6x1kish at 3:40 min/km pace. Bit down on similar session a month ago but it was a bit twisty/turny, run pretty much in the dark and I ran it fairly controlled. Happy to put a session in.
  • Thanks for the commiserations and well wishes, the CV positive notification has come through. Lots of sleep yesterday and feeling soo much better.  As Joe said at least I will be fresh for Newport.   

The silver lining was my wife could sense my disappointment at missing London and given me the green light to run the Gran Canaria marathon in November, which is a win double bonus.  
  • Rotten luck OO but I'd've been amazed if you hadn't caught it once it was in your household.
    Gran Canaria in November sounds like an excellent recompense for missing London. Will your wife be joining you in the sunshine?
    Hopefully see you in Newport.
    Are you still hoping to make Newport Joolska?
    That pulled muscle isn't causing too much trouble if you can run a K reps session at that pace Joe!
    Good luck to all those racing in London Sunday - I'm only slightly envious.
    A week ago I thought I was going to be benched for a while after mysteriously straining my groin on my Sunday easy run. This resulted in a very light week for me though I did manage to maintain my minimum 4M/day. By the weekend it was feeling good enough to run a 21:15 parkrun Saturday & a 42:00 10K on Sunday. Neither were full bore but they didn't aggravate the situation :)
    Even survived a mini session on the track yesterday so still on course to toe the line on the 24th. 

• No, not doing Newport.  I was playing catch-up to try and get fit, and have now lost another 2 weeks, so there is no point wrecking my legs for a cr*p marathon time.  

7 this morning.  Calves tightened a bit towards the end, but probably the best they have felt of late.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Looks like both jools have injuries thst aee easing

Good news on the marathon sign off by the executive board

Yes, typical taper leg feeling, all standard.

4m easy, then an expo trip, although i didnt actually go into the expo. The world majors thing was confusing i eas told to queue up at wold major desk after gfa and ended up with duplicate numbers. On way back now, 6hrs of pretty busy public transport, fingers crossed i can avoid CV. Brasher was being interviewed  for BBC, i said i hipe they ask him why folks are travelling to an indoor bag drop and number collect.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Jooligan... sounds like your niggle is fixing itself quickly, decent times in those races.

OO.. Gran Canaria sounds like good compensation for your London disappointment.  What are the temps like in Dec?

TR.. sensible avoiding the Expo hoopla, those duplicate numbers sound confusing. :/

Jools.. seems you have a good progressive plan for your calf recuperation, hope it continues.

10k this morning, legs felt fine.  Looks a touch breezy on Sunday but at least the wetness has disappeared.  Better prospects for alfresco beer drinking post race. :p