Comrades 2022

Comments

• Wow, lots going on here recently! Hope there are no lingering after effects from the snake bite SD and looking forward to reading a race report!  Mark hope it’s not too long until you’re feeling normal again. Good look to those doing London, I’ll have to do some tracking! I seem to have been doing more cycling than running lately ( nicer in the heat!) Now have first marathon planned Qiandaohu 1000 island marathon on 5th Dec, better start running more !
  • lowrez: enjoy London (and the others you're running at the same time!)
    Mc Hilly: yes, more running, less cycling!
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy London for those doing it, it's been a while waiting for this.
    @ Lowrez, please add me in to the K2B.  I'll work in a visit to the UK around the date.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Super to have you on board Mac 😀
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Stoic God's testing us at every turn. Stuck behind a slow tractor for miles on the way to the station. First choice of car park would not let us pay for 4 days even though it should of. Went to station ticket counter where it said we could purchase parking too. Queue was 15 people deep as the clock started to run out on us. Moved the car to another car park instead. The paying machine controls were so sun baked we couldn't figure them out, angry queue started forming behind us. Back at the original car park where the machine would have let us pay for a stay a day short, which we were going to accept as the best we could do, a person was at the only kiosk and their card had been refused putting the machine into an infinite loop of refusal/try again. With the train clock almost expired we noticed you could pay by phone... It worked 😀 on the train awaiting departure two people turned up insisting our reserved seats were their reserved seats? Turns out there were 2 identical London trains 7 minutes apart... and we were on the wrong one! As we stood to collect our bags the train departed 😅 We are currently sat in better seats that someone else reserved but did not turn up for 😀 Time to relax and tell this yarn of RW... I wonder what awaits us in London 🤔
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    K2B Team for Saturday 7th May 2022 (we need 12 so please ask to be added):-
    1owrez
    Slow Duck
    baldstan
    Peter R
    Becca7
    JAR
    johnny1984
    Southern Snail
    MARK A ALDERSON
    Debra Bourne (thinking about jogging it)
    Mac3
  • Hope the rest of your journey goes a bit more smoothly 1owrez and good luck with your 4.5 marathons and also to everyone who's doing the one. I'll being walking Virtual London, which I've just realised probably means I won't be able to do any dot watching sadly. Just hoping to finish before last orders. Looking forward to hearing everyone's race stories afterwards.
    Great to see we're already up to 11 for K2B. Any recommendations on where to stay around Barrow, or should I be bringing a tent? If I start to queue soon I may just have enough petrol to get me there.  
  • I'm a possibility for the K2B...... ideally would like a UK trip in May for various reasons,but a lot of uncertainty due to visa /quarantine requirements, so keep me in the loop and if there is a space in the team when i'm more certain about travel plans, that would be great
  • Good luck to those running London and Lowrez that seems like a lot of races you have coming up. Good luck with them all

McHilly - you've been doing some great cycling recently but exciting to have a marathon planned too

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Two choices on hotels Stan, something in Barrow, which most did this year. Duke of Edinburgh was a favourite but you do have a little walk for your Happy Bus. Premier Inn is a Happy Bus pick up point and also had a Travellers Fayer for breakfasts etc. Travelodge had no restaurant but is also a Happy Bus pick up point and is opposite supermarkets, pizza hut, etc. That's very Comrades style, stay at the end point and get a bus to the start. The alternative is to try and stay closer to the start, but then you probably need your own transport to the start. Most stay in Barrow.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

This year there is no bag drop on the day, you take it to the expo having put your own goodies in it and whatever clothing you want post run, and, the impression I got was they give you your running number in exchange... So I gives the bloke me bag and he takes it away and then comes back to the counter and says thanks and smiles. I ask him where my running number is and he says to go to S10 like I should know that? What and where are S10 I asks. He says I'm in S8 now, go out and walk along a bit and I should get to S10. And they'll give me my running number in S10 I says! Yes he says. At S10 people on the door go Aye aye, where's yer QR code? What QR code I asks? The QR code the bag bloke gave you at S8 they says. Ain't no bloke givven me nuthin at S anythin I says. Oi, they says, are you even runnin this marathon stumpin up ere wiv no QR code from S8; yers can clear right off if you can't prove yer in it! So I wips out me phone and shows em any number of emails sayin I am runnin it and they points me at the information desk. Down there is a lovely woman what I asked to run away with me she was so beautiful, but she said she had to stay at this damned counter and sort out idiots like me who left their QR code at S8 and anyway she was plannin on runnin away wiv someone else later... she asked me to prove my identity! Luckily, suspecting that I might have to do this at some point I flourished my brand new British passport and she was most excited because that trumped any stupid QR code from S8 😀 in seconds she had printed my running number and poured safety pins into my hand. And then I was a free man OK to scurry through the expo to the green fields of London... to be continued
  • I’ve got used to the idea that I need a QR code for anything and everything….. although im currently on my way to an airport with just a bit of paper and a UK passport…. Hope I have a smoother trip than you are Lowrez!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    K2B Team for Saturday 7th May 2022 (we need 12 so please ask to be added):-
    1owrez
    Slow Duck
    baldstan
    Peter R
    Becca7
    JAR
    johnny1984
    Southern Snail
    MARK A ALDERSON
    Debra Bourne (thinking about jogging it)
    Mac3
    Mc Hilly (if she can arrange a break in the UK)

That makes a possible 12 but keep volunteering folks I can register more than one team 😀
  • Good luck to those running London today, braver than me, 40k people crammed together during Covid... 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mr D 😀 I was wearing a mask and gloves though 🤪
  • Lowrez-Errr so how did it go….. or are you running back up north? 🤣🤣
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Only picture to have surfaced so far; this bloke appears to have been running his 200th UK marathon. One of his cheeky mates commented adversely about the stature of the Stormtrooper 😭

Great day out, pleased to break 5:30 given my current fitness level. Had a party with the crowd running outside bends and waving etc. Battled with Superman in the final 5 miles; he seemed impervious to light sabre slashes, tried repeatedly but couldn't cut off his legs and the damned superhero beat me over the line. Got interviewed by camera and microphone welding reporters after the finish. Don't know if it will ever see the light of day though. Loved it most when the crowd booed me, it wasn't that often, but there are your "real" Star Wars fans 😅 Best comment was lovely and innocent from a senior citizen; "See you up in the sky" 😀 Again, again, again! I'm sure more pictures will surface soon.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

On a couple of occasions I stopped and faced families with young kids all sucking on lollipops/ice-cream and said very formally "I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate those" 🤣 and then very quickly ran on as the kids faces turned to gullible woe and mum and dad commenced pissing themselves (in my warped remembrance anyway)

In that desperate painful region around 20 miles I began consuming other things wonderful members of the public were offering out; incredibly fizzy ginger beer, that I ultimately wondered about the sell by date of as fat cloggy dregs of seaweed-like tendrils came into sight in the bottom of my cup, and, quite soon after, actual beer offered out by a gang of likely lads that had obviously been consuming said beverage for many hours. Consequently mile 23 became a surreal dream time as I burped so hard it nearly prevented progress, my skin began to crawl and my body craved an antidote to whatever was consuming me. The amount of gas rising from my guts felt like it was compressing my heart and I began to stagger. Passing a real casualty languishing by the side of the road with ambulance in attendance brought reality back as I belched my way into mile 24 and oblivion.
  • JARJAR ✭✭
    Well done lowrez, glad the run went well - always eventful :-)
  • TMI Lowrez, but well done!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys 😀 I used to be in the camp of never do anything different even to the point of not substituting charity laces in my shoes handed out on the eve of race day. But you'll never evolve if ya don't mess about sometimes. I didn't benefit from the experimentation this time out but it won't stop me giving it a go again. 

I had planned to storm home from 10 miles out and at one point I did manage a sub 10 minute mile as I tried to press on but I am substantially under trained and still recovering from K2B and my bones wouldn't put up with it.

I remember thinking at the time I was definitely not up for the Liverpool full in 3 weeks and resolved to do the half, however, this morning as I prance around with very little detriment to my soul compared to the anguish of the final miles yesterday I find, once again that my eyes are too big for my stomach and I will be signing up for the 26 😅

Next to consider is whether the Stormtrooper will run it or a persona more oriented to the rock n roll theme 😎
  • I have a voucher (£54 credit from a previously cancelled event) that has to be spent by 20th October ( but the voucher can be used for any future event, but the booking has to be made by 20th October) I have checked and I can transfer the voucher to someone else, so if your interested let me know. (I don’t want anything in exchange for the voucher…. I always knew there was a risk when I entered…. An acceptable loss that’s more than compensated for by the opportunities I get here :-) )
    www.endurancelife.com 
  • Mc Hilly, I can use it if nobody has asked for it yet...
  • Debra, excellent :-) I’ll PM you
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    London, you've been invaded :D

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Is it a box of cigars 😀
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I know! I know! Comrades Monopoly! Baggsy the counter in the shape of a cap 😅
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Erm... Comrades bottle opener 😋
  • Comrades-branded running watch?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ooo good one! It said all the family would love and enjoy it though?? How about a picnic hamper 😋