Sub 3h15

Comments

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Poacher - that's "proper mint" that singlet
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Welcome, SEdan.

OO: that sounds like a lovely weekend, and fair play to you on the pacing duties.  I hope the creakiness is gradually easing off!

After a complete break from running for 5 days, 3 miles this morning, and touch wood the calves finally feel ok.  I guess I'd ignored warning signs for a good week or so leading up to the half marathon and completely wrecked them.  My recovery from injury/muscle soreness is definitely much slower than it used to be, and I can't rebuild mileage at anything like the rate I could in the past, either, so I'll just have to be patient.  Annoyingly it means I probably won't get to bank a half marathon this year, so no London for me next year given the stupid qualifying closing date for championship places of 31.12.2021 despite the fact the race is in October 2022...  But given I'm not sure that I can really train for marathons anymore without getting broken, that may be a good thing!  I'm sure it's no coincidence that I had my best period of training since 2016 during the 15 months when I couldn't race or even aim for much by way of racing because of Covid.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    It seems almost ridiculous that you can't bag a VLM place Jools given your level if performance. Glad the calf is better though 🤞
    I was actually offered a free place for York on Sunday DT. It was tempting but I have the family visiting for a local 10k. Probably would be stupid anyway 😅
  • Shame not to be able to catch up with you in York OO - you'll have to leave the "4 marathons in 4 weeks" challenge until next year!!

Jools - that timeframe for qualifying does seem a bit bonkers to me - glad to hear the recovery is going well

G-Dawg - good news for Manchester. Look forward to catching up there, if not on a Surrey XC course sooner. 
  • Welcome back SEDan, and good luck with your plans for an autumn mara next year.
    CT1983 - good to have you with us :)
    OO - can't believe you turned down the chance to run the Yorkshire marathon on Sunday ;)
    Poacher - very apt t-shirt.
    Lorenzo - how is the last week of the taper going?
    Went into the new office yesterday. Not keen on the 1hr+ commuting each way, but it was good to see people face to face again and also meet a few new ones. Just nipped out for a quick 3 miler at 8:20. one mile warm-up and then threw in a few 400m efforts. The mile splits were encouraging: 7:33, 6:38, 6:35. RHR is back down in the low 40s again, so all looking good.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, yes i've done a couple of tests, all negative though. I was rotten yesterday, feel a little better today but not great. Good to be tempoing again. My legs felt pretty decent on my 6m run yesterday, it's just the cold that is holding me back now.

Gul, we are back in the office 3 day a week now. Despite my commute only being 30 mins, so far this is day 6, the M5 has been closed twice and it's taken me 90 mins, I have picked up a crap cold (not had one in 18 months) and I am rushing out the office at 5pm to run kids around. Not really getting my employers logic!!

I entered Manchester yesterday, it seems the place to be next Spring. Booked a premier Inn in Sale as will have the car with us.

6M yesterday, HR high due to cold, will get out again for 4 or 5 today, all easy until this cold goes.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're back to full health, Gul. Good news indeed.

Yep, I'm sure we'll catch up at some point, Lorenzo. I've ducked the XC at Epsom this weekend as I won't start running again until next Monday. Good luck on Sunday, hope the weather is good for you.

Still no Run Britain rankings for London. maybe the course measured long and they're wondering what to do? All other Londons have measured 26.3 for me, last week it was 26.73. Can I claim a 2.56?  :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    G-Dawg, it's updated on RB to say 'expected 15/10'. 

I do wonder about the changes to the route as everyone pretty much that I know recorded it longer than what their GPS normally records the course. Better that than short though!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well if London was long can I claim back those 8 seconds 😆

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I was thinking exactly that for you, OO:D
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    26.42 miles on my Garmin - I think you all need to stop weaving so much and learn to cut the corners!

Sports massage this morning after 7.5 mile recovery run - painful but quads feeling better. 
  • So I was running too fast - that's why the wheels came off ;)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'd like dispensation from that, Sbd having started in wave 3, I had no choice but to weave recklessly. I really need to get a sports massage before things get going again.

Easy 5m over lunch, HR still elevated for pace.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    'cos I'm a nerd, I just mapped the new route on Plotaroute.com and it also came out at 26.7.

GPS and an online map not scientific enough but interesting the stats both digital and anecdotal have a common trait.
    I followed the blue line more than ever this year as well. Not bothered, by the way, just interesting that stats seem different this year. Winning time was 2.04, so if it was 0.3 or 0.2 out, would that be beyond the winners?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I always try to cut the corners and stick near the blue line. I have Manchester as 26.33 (the shortest), London 26.36, and Berlin as 26.47. So these are the reverse order Vs the time/speed I ran. Not a convincing argument for giving me those 8 seconds back 😪
  • I see Manchester is now the trial race for the Commonwealth games marathon. We all just need to up our games a tiny bit....

OO - you really turned down the chance to do four in four? Lovely photo of the family by the way. 

Jools, good to hear your calves seem to be improving at last. Fingers crossed for you it stays that way. 

We were supposed to be back to 3 days in the office now, but it's a new building we moved in to in the summer of 2020, and it turns out to be too noisy with everyone in (as if I hadn't been saying that since the plans were announced in 2018.... open plan, high ceilings, not rocket science, is it?!). So they're buying some mufflers and planning to pipe in 'pink noise'. So just 2 days per week until they have those, some time in November. 

Still just ticking over here, although my knee randomly twanged just walking through my living room last night and still hurts today. Hopefully nothing. I have the first of the North Midlands XC league races on Saturday. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Pink  noise and mufflers sounds interesting 😉
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Arghhhh, just seen the 2022 age group mara champs will be in London as well!!!
  • SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Speaking of going back to the office, the gossip from our London office is that the wifi doesn't work because everybody is on video calls! So basically if you want to get work done by taking calls with clients you need to stay at home. That is with a 2 days in the office expectation.

It seems okay in New York for now but we are slower to get back to the office. I'm going in with my team 2 days a week.

Rest day for me today but might try to pick up the pace on my run tomorrow after just easy efforts in recent weeks to get back into things.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    4.5 miles today.  S&C and a swim yesterday.  I was really impressed at how fast the other lady in my lane was doing crawl leg-kick only until I saw she was wearing flippers!

Continue to take it easy, VLM recoverees.  Remember the rule of thumb is 1 day for every mile raced, so you've ages to go yet!
  • Speedy - hope all is well for the XC.
    Jools - LOL, that's cheating using flippers :)
    4 easy miles this morning at the new normal time. Our new office is in the middle of nowhere and seems very nice - just wish it didn't take so long to get there.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wow! I totally forgot that rule of thumb, Jools. That makes me feel better, Cheers.

Decided to start work on my rubbish hammies and glutes, such a weak point for me. Only did a few lunges each side a couple of days ago and can really feel it today. Manchester training starts December 13th, so plenty of time to get the problem areas strong.
  • Pleased to see people are getting back to it after injuries and marathons.

G-Dawg, like you, I’m trying to work on weak areas; hamstrings, hips and core.

Ran another 6.5m this morning to take me to just shy of 18 this week. All easy and feels pretty comfortable.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    More swimming here too. That's 2k, 3 times this week. I also cheat with a pull buoy Jools, but without it my legs just si k like lead weights.
    Easy parkrun tomorrow then a 10k race on Sunday. Good luck with the XC Jools, I hate them 🤭
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

After having 2 runs disallowed from my 100 marathons/ultras list, I hope to finally hit the 100 today. I’m running in the Irish National 24-hr Championship in Belfast with no ultra-training. I ran the Belfast marathon 2 weeks ago, got drunk and signed up. This is going to hurt!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow, Lorenzo
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Almost forgot about York Marathon - hope you're raring to go and good luck Lorenzo.  Nice and steady for the first 20 miles and then give it the full beans.

Sounds like a suitable way to bring up the 100 Badbark - hope it goes well.
  • Thanks folks - had a nice gentle parkrun this morning and looking forward to tomorrow. Hoping for c. 3:15 and a negative split.

Hope the XC went well Speedy.

Badbark - that sounds like a appropriately insane way to bring up the 100 mark. All the best - look forward to the report.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Lorenzo. 

I'm pretty sure there are easier ways to bank the 100th, but it would seem slightly against the grain of the overall madness to just run a basic distance marathon! Good luck, Badbark.