Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nothing to report this week yet, i've been mostly drinking and eating out!

Quads have finally eased off now so will take another day off tomorrow and then make  start over the weekend.

Tommy, if champs was still 2.45 i'd be chomping at the bit to run a marathon again asap. 2.40 still seems a long way off, though not as far as 2.57 seemed which i where I was 6 months ago.

Submitted my Berlin GFA application yesterday for next year.
  • I had sore soleuses for most of this week 0,0,3,3,4,0,6 for 16 total. 

They've eased off now so just a post race effort thing.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    My soleuses (solei?) are pretty sore today after the XC yesterday. The course was very hard packed dirt on a few sections and a couple of sections along tarmac paths which battered my new spikes and my calf's in equal measure. Probably could have ran the who thing in road shoes.

Felt like I had a decent race, was aiming for a top 100 placing and ended up 76th. First lap was the usual cavalry charge, I held back a little and followed my club mate to try and get an idea of the course. Laps 2 and 3 I pushed on a bit and overtook quite a few others, unfortunately did get out kicked on the run in by someone who I'd overtaken coming round the final bend.  Managed to finish  ahead a couple of blokes who'd comfortably been beating me on the fells over summer though. Third scorer for the team which is always nice. Some absolute weapons from the big athletics club and universities in the SW take part in this league so no chance of any team glory. 

Great to be back racing as part of a team, feel encouraged by that as a turnout and will now probably be enthusiastic enough to go to Newquay next month for some more XC action.     
  • You're right Tommy - solei. I never even knew that muscle existed until I'd been running for a few years.

Presumably that was your first run out for your new team so must have been pleasing to be a counter. Well done.
  • 0,0,3,0,11,0,6 for 20 total. Time to start building the mileage again I think.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've had nothing interesting to report, 27m last week and a streaming cold from Tuesday onwards. It's just on its way out now.

Would normally start building upwards again now but I fly to Lanzarote for 10 days on Friday so whilst i'll train there it'll be as and when and somewhat unstructurted.

I have entered the Manchester marathon for April (Skinny...tempted?). I have some races pencilled in from mid November starting with the Derby 10m which as a distance is probably my weakest pb, I probably beat it in the last 10m in London. I also have a 5m race mid December as that pb is also very weak. I just need to squeeze in a parkrun as well later in November to tick the boxes for this year.
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    DT Full set of PB's by the end of the year  :)

Any miles so far

8 miles last night hoping to get out tomorrow and some sort of session Thursday  :s
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Not a great deal for me to report either. Although I have got myself several fake degrees. 

Averaging 20-25 miles per week at the moment, with a couple of gym sessions to try and get a bit stronger for XC. Fairly gnarly club run last night, got very dark and very wet very quickly on the moors, was pretty disorientating. All ended ok though. 

• kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Tommy yep dark nights coming back round quickly, 

8miles last night 9.38 pace. Out tonight for some faster miles aiming at 4mls 8m/m 

• kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    6mls last night, 1ml w/u 4mls 7.48, 7.42, 7.42 & 7.36 1ml c/d. Tried to be controlled focusing on form. Would love to get them down from avg 7.42 to 7.30 with another 2mls added on. Hopefully can use this as a stepping stone to improve. Should maybe be doing a longer warm up, any thoughts on this. 10mls easy pace tomorrow 9.30ish pace. Hope everyone is doing ok.
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Hi Kevin - sounds like a good session for you. If you did a longer warm up it might help with the first mile but better and more satisfying to do a session like that they way you've done it than to do a too fast first mile and then tail off in the last mile.

A long time ago I always did 3 mile warm ups for my sessions because that's what SG told me to do but when I rarely do sessions now it tends to just be how far it is to where I plan to start them although never less than a mile and never without a few strides first.

I had man flu last week so no running for me :-( Okay now so will start again today.
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Skinny, will add some strides in this week before the session, 10miles on Saturday 9.36 m/m pace, out tonight for 8mls.

Flu/sickness bugs going about Skinny, hopefully you can post a few miles this week. Any races  :)
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Last 4 weeks for me of 36, 34, 31, 35. So a bit of consistency despite work being hectic.

I'm now slightly less slow than I was a couple of months back.

My main issue at the moment is finding shoes that fit/ don't injure me. So annoying that companies have to change size, fit, feel every iteration of the same shoe!

Kevin - I'm like Skinny I always used to do long warm ups in the past but generally don't bother so much these days. I'd say a mile is the minimum but is probably adequate to avoid injury risk. If you do longer you'll probably feel a bit quicker in rep 1.
  • MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. Been a busy couple of months for me and the running has suffered a bit, but back on it over the last 2 weeks with 18 and 21 miles. Still feeling relatively fit so all’s well, but will struggle to manage my 1000 miles for the year.

Mainly just wanted to congratulate DT on the excellent marathon, amazing time! Super psyched for a marathon now - I’ve already signed up for the Snowdonia Trail Mara next summer, but now thinking about Manchester in the spring…

Mr V - consistent miles, nice! Also hate it when shoe models are changed.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back MYOX and Mr V.

Skinny, can't remember what your plans are post ultra, are you training for anything specific?

DT - glad to hear you've entered Manchester, I'm considering it, but waiting to see if Newport will return to a spring race or stay in the autumn now. Incidentally, my club mate who was just behind you at London, ran Newport at the weekend and finished in 2:46. I think you're a similar age and your shorter times are better than his (and your training is certainly more structured and specific) so I'm sure you can go well below 2:45 and be knocking on the 2:40 door. 

Few mile son the coast path for me so far this week. Have got a 7 mile race over Dartmoor on Sunday, no idea how it will turn out but it's supposed to be a decent race and by definition it will be a PB as I'm pretty sure I've never raced a 7 miler before. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Kevin - sounds like a good session for you. If you did a longer warm up it might help with the first mile but better and more satisfying to do a session like that they way you've done it than to do a too fast first mile and then tail off in the last mile.

A long time ago I always did 3 mile warm ups for my sessions because that's what SG told me to do but when I rarely do sessions now it tends to just be how far it is to where I plan to start them although never less than a mile and never without a few strides first.

I had man flu last week so no running for me :-( Okay now so will start again today.
    I've evolved to 2miles or so these days, but remember the extra consideration with you was that you had a big injury history, so probably even more essential for you to be fully warmed up pre attempting faster stuff.

For races though sometimes it's the hardest thing in the world to get a decent length warm up in!
    My Sunday one was a very sheepish max of a mile if that :o
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Just realised I've not posted in nearly two weeks. I'm on day 10 of 11 in lanzarote though. Run 140m in October which is OK given London then hols. Managed sone decent holiday running also.  

Derby 10m in two weeks  aiming for sub 60m. 

Re warm up I'm usually 1.5m. Sometimes 2m but very rarely less thatc1.5. 
  • 0,0,0,0,0,4 incl parkrun, 10. 14 total.

Wasn't quite over virus so not a great week. 21:34 for parkrun which was not a full out effort.

I always find that parkrun is a really good way to remotivate you if you're feeling a bit CNBA because you find yourself trailing in after someone you know you are normally faster than and it's annoying.
  • Hope you're having a good holiday, DT. 

Skinny - hope you're fully over the illness now. Agreed about parkrun being a good motivational tool. XC is also good for that. 

Tavy 7 for me on Sunday, my first road race for a while after a summer racing on the fells. Really wasn't sure how to approach this race as my recent mileage has been fairly low but I've been going to the gym and doing a lot more S&C conditioning stuff and I'd had a decent turnout at the XC last month but as it was on Dartmoor it wasn't going to be flat. chatting to my club mate on the start line, who's a bit quicker than me but returning from injury, and he was aiming to hold about 7min/miles, seemed like a reasonable pace so decided to start with him and see how things went. 

The first 100m or so were over a grassy field and then a muddy corner covered in straw to try and soak up some of the mud and cow piss. After this the route took you around some Dartmoor lanes and through some villages, whilst it wasn't hilly as such it was definitely in the undulating category and I can't remember any flat bits. It was also totally wind blasted in parts as it's pretty exposed up there. Anyway, I was along side my club mate for the first mile and it came in at 6:35 and despite the dodgy start, uphill bits and headwind felt pretty easy stuff. Somewhere in the next mile or so my club mate must have dropped off as when we got to the next mile marker I was running solo, with maybe a 50m gap to a small group in front. As I was getting a battering from the wind I decided to push on and catch the group fully expecting my club mate to come monstering back past me at any point. 

After about 3.5 miles I caught the group and ran with them for a bit but think they were all struggling by tat point so just pushed on. At one point I was joined by a bloke in incredibly noisy shoes (possibly the Saucony with a plate in), I had a few words with him about the racket he was creating but he didn't have much to say and soon dropped off behind me. 
    After this there was a bit of a drag up on to the highest part of the course which was totally exposed and wind blasted. For added fun, a stream had burst and flooded the course, so the last mile or so was with sodden feet. 
    There was still no sign of my club mate so I was pretty sure I wouldn't be seeing him and could now focus on catching the two in front of me, which I did with about half a mile to go, one of them was completely spent so knew I didn't have to worry about him but the other guy responded as I went past. I didn't much fancy a sprint finish over the grassy field so decided I needed to try and get clear before it got to that. With about 400m to go there was a shortish hill. I stuck a bit of effort in going up and thought I'd got myself a gap. However, coming off the road into the field, I was being a bit cautious on the straw and the guy came back onto my shoulder. Had to put in a massive effort to hold him off but managed to cross the line just ahead of him. My club mate was around 30 seconds behind which he was chuffed with. 

Finished in 47:00 with an average pace of 6:38 and 33rd place. Annoyingly, the fella who I outsprinted has been given the same time as me and 32nd place!      

Pretty pleased with that overall. felt strong on the uphills and reckon now I know the course etc I can definitely go quicker. Think the gym work has helped and I'm looking forward to the next XC in a couple of weeks.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, as you say, it's a good reset mechanism getting to a parkrun, especially as you know you will progress again quickly from that time.

Tommy, sounds like you must be in pretty decent shape to manage that time on a above average challenging course.

Holiday is done and dusted and straight back into it yesterday to blow any cobwebs that might have been there. 20 x 400m off 30s. All reps came in 1.20-1.23, with one at 1.19. I was blowing last 5 reps!

Going to have a little race phase now and hopefully address some weaker pbs, starting Saturday with a trip to Edgbaston parkrun. Probably won't do myself full justice so soon after mara recovery and holiday but yesterdays session suggests I can still justifiably have a sub 18 attempt, and if not should hopefully still pb.

It'll also give me a vague idea what might be possible t the Derby 10 the following sunday.

Tommy, I know you did Edgbaston a month or so ago, any particular thoughts? Also Derby shoul be back to the original cause after the 2019 re route I ran. It goes through 2 country parks by looks. Organisers say it is fast and flat. I  recall when I was doing it in 2019 you have some knowledge of the course?

If both those go well and weather looks reasonable, the following weekend is a 10k at Prestwold in Leicestershire for me to have  a sub 37, then a few weeks later I have a 5m race for my sub 30 attempt.

Easy 8m today over lunch.

• SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    That sounds like a really good performance on a tough course in difficult conditions Tommy - well done. I remember once being given 5th in a race when I was 4th and was less bothered about it than I imagined I would have been.

The more I reflect on running the more I realise that the times and places are only important in that they are the driver to run and it is the process of the training effort and the all round fitness it generates (body and mind) that is where the true benefits lie. 

(although at the moment DT might feel differently  :D).

I don't believe I would run with same dedication (which isn't that high anymore anyway) without the planned races. Next race is Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler on 21st November. No PB expected.

Hope you enjoyed your hols DT and I imagine you will PB in all your races - sub 30 5 miles sounds relatively simple when you must be in sub 60 10 mile shape (and you just ran a 27:20 five miles in that session!!). Good luck with it all anyway - hope you get some good weather.
  • DT - good session to blow the cobwebs away! 

Edgbaston parkrun whilst not pan flat is a pretty quick course. It was unusually  busy the day I did it due to Cannon Hill being cancelled but I would make sure you are on the front row at the start; it's a very wide start which quite quickly narrows down to a path about 2m wide and you have to negotiate some wooden bollards. From memory the paths on the first half are all hard packed aggregate so a decent running surface. At the far end of the course you have to run round a barrier before turning sharp right over the dam wall, which will slow you down a touch as will the slight slalom coming off the dam wall (especially if you are lapping people on your second lap). Coming through the start /finish area at the end of the first lap is a bit weird as it's very wide and everyone just picks their own route, I'm not sure if the official route is supposed to be immediately next to the water, muddy will probably know. 

Good luck with the sub 18 attempt, I have slightly more modest ambitions, I'm heading to a relatively new course which incorporates a section of the SW coast path, so will no doubt be wind blasted, undulating and a bit ropey underfoot. 

I ran the club winter handicap last night, wasn't planning on running it too hard, but ended up getting dragged round by one of the enthusiastic juniors. 20:30 for the 3.2 mile hilly out and back.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tommy, yes I can recall that day. Last week for some reason it only had about 90 runners, whilst most weeks it seems about 150. Thanks for the intel, hopefully will be seeing Muddy there in the morning as well.

Sounds like a decent outing at the handicap. Enjoy your parkrun.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    17 50 this morning so box ticked and 30s pb. Had a warm up with, Muddy then a post run cuppa. 
  • Good to see DT in his sexy Soar pants this morning. Managed my first continuous 5k for about 6-7 months. I’ve very much de-trained unfortunately and felt like I might throw up for an extremely uncomfortable 21.10. Hoping I can embrace the pain  and use that as a marker to measure against as I try to rebuild my aerobic base. 

5 miles for this week ! Today ! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for them I think Muddy would have hot the better of me. 

Hopefully that'll now kick start your return, Muddy. 
  • Well done DT - another landmark broken through - do you think you have a chance of getting a sub 17 or is that out of reach for now?

Anyway for a 30 second 5k PB have an updated TTT, I'm wondering if you might have improved your WAVA too but CNBA to work it out.

• Great to see you back running muddy - any reaction from the injury?

Also can't help noticing that your return to running parkrun 21:10 was faster than my previous week 21:34.  :/
  • 0,8,0,8,0,0,12 for 28 miles last week.

Okay but need to fill in the blank days with some  shorter runs to get the mileage up - started this week better with a little 4 before work.

I'm always curious if 28 miles in 3 runs is better for your development than 28 miles in 7 runs - it feels like it must be because logically if you ran 4 miles every day it would still be a big challenge to go out and run a HM whereas off 8,8 and 12 you would expect to do it fairly comfortably.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Skinny. Off to Derby this Sunday now to try and run a sub 60, 10m. If that goes well i reserve my position to take a last minute 10k entry the following weekend to try and sub 37.

Just looked on po10 and saturday was .10 short of improving my wava. Sub 17 seems utterly inconceivable, that's over 15s per mile faster. Sub 17.30 would be the next target and I suspect I could achieve that if I did it at the right stage in the training block and not 5 days after returning from a 10 day holiday. Anything faster than that would probably involve specific training or it being achieved as a bi-product of me getting fitter overall.

I would have though an 8,8, 12 is better than 7 x 4m. You are only creating so much bodily stress running 4m so it's difficult to develop much. Probably fine for just ticking over and maintaining some basic fitness.