Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Instead of a coach, could always nick the themes of DT's sessions, worked for me!!  :p  (not really)

Track last night. Didn't hit it hard, just used it as a leg loosener as the hamstrings are still pretty sore when I run. Session was 3 x 400 with 1 min recoveries, then a long rest (3 to 4 mins) then go again to total 5 sets.

First rep was 90 secs so sat at that pace all night. Got a bit quicker (1.26) as I loosened up but all reps were pleasingly in  that range. Coach wants me to bag a 10k PB in the next 2 to 3 weeks to capitalise on the London campaign. I'll have a look.
  • SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    SBD - great report from GSR. I think the 10 miles is a neglected distance (as mentioned before I am doing 15k in December). First in AG must be nice motivation to kick on from here.

Lorenzo - sub 3:15 as we turn the corner on getting back into racing is a great result. A bit of rest and sub 3:10 at Manchester must be achievable with some focused training. 3:28 from Lorenzito is a great debut too! I am guessing your influence meant he didn't go for the old "I'd like to do under 4 hours" routine?

I've been getting back on things mainly building mileage and long runs (did 11m on Sunday). It has been slow work. I did a 14m + 6m tempo run on Friday which was tough. Perhaps it is psychological but I feel like I am already feeling the benefits. Today was a very comfortable easy 10k at 9:10 pace at 144bpm, whereas just 8 days ago I was doing the same route at 9:45 pace at same heart rate. It probably also helps that I have stopped the booze to get fit and leaner - it has been too easy working from home to have a beer (or 3) on a random weekday evening.

39 miles in total last week. I am going to try to keep at 40 for the next few weeks and gradually introduce some more tempo and longer speed work - probably 800s to start with to get used to faster running again.
  • SEdan - you're right to say that 10 miles is a neglected, but fun, distance. My club (Dorking and Mole Valley) puts on a 10 mile race at the beginning of June and it's not only a great course but attracts some decent runners as it also doubles up as the County 10 mile Champs race.

I think Lorenzito knew he was going to get well under 4 hours when he toed the start line, but I advised him to start at 8:30s and see whether he could push the pace in the second half. As it turned out he was super consistent between 7:45 and 8:00 for the first 21 miles and only slowed down a bit in the last few. 

Nice reps there G-Dawg - which 10K are you thinking of? Presume you'll be on the road, but if you fancy a decent hilly off road 10K, the G3 series is a good one. You've also reminded me to start thinking about accommodation for Manchester next year - I suspect that things will start to get booked up soon, and I don't fancy the idea of dossing down on elder Lorenzito's floor

Gul - wise to back off a bit for the next few days. It does sound as though you've not fully recovered yet.

I've managed a couple of slow, easy ones since the weekend, including an enjoyable stomp through the woods this morning. Definitely needed the head torch and it was starting to get quite wet and muddy as well - great fun!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    @CT1983 I don't use him but would still vouch for @DT19's coach. I think another forumite also uses him but can't remember who (Steve?) Anyway, a really lovely guy and his wife (also a top runner) is brilliant on the S&C with him. Am sure their team is top notch. They will have all angles more than covered and, better still, they have a holistic approach which means your plan will definitely be bespoke. I have heard of so many coaches who seem to send out the same plan which is just plain lazy.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Excellent result at York Lorenzo and nice report.  You did well to keep the discipline in those early miles.  It must feel great to dip back under the 3:15 mark with a negative split.  Well done to your son as well - an excellent debut, although no doubt he'll be improving rapidly!

Well done on the age group win OO.  After three back to back marathons, 38:18 is good going.  At GSR, I went through 10K in 38:06.

Sounds like you're building nicely SEdan.  What's the target for the 15K race?

A good track session G-D.  Have you looked at Telford 10K?

Taking it easy sounds like a sensible approach Gul.

Clearly the coaching is working really well for DT and Speedy.  I'd quite like to try the personal coaching but not sure it will ever happen.  Having joined their Zoom meeting earlier I would definatley recommend taking a closer look at New Levels Coaching CT1983.

Easy running sounds fine DT.  I was planning to enter Great Bentley HM as well so a bit of a blow!  I normally do Wokingham but top three in the age category will be hard!  Are you doing Telford 10K - presumably that's an England vest opportunity as well?

Good work on the gym sessions Jools.  Clearly, Eilish McColgan thought the condition were good at GSR!

I don't convert very well backwards TR.  McMillan would equate my London time to a 35:56 10K which seems crazy.  To get below 1hr for 10 miles would be a dream, I'm lessed motivated by the 1:20 HM target.

Stepped Tempo run yesterday, so 10K as the middle section of 16K.  4K at 6:26/m, 4K at 6:20/m and the final 2k at 6:13/m.  Hard work but good to have completed.

Sports massage today after an early morning 16K general aerobic run to work more on the quads which have just about recovered and sort out the right hamstring which had a slight niggle.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair points SBD, its tricky finding flat fast 10milers though.

The coaching works due to the accountability and the coach getting the runner do do the training that they need to do rather than what they like or usually do........aged 54 with niggles to manage and all of my week day running hidden in commutes it wouldnt work for me.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, what was the new levels zoom thing? I have so many diary invites to these things but never get on them. 

It's interesting as one of the organisers has popped up to clarify that they were never asked by England Athletics if they wanted to be a qualifying race, they were just told. 

Telford 10k is an obscene standard. They have a sub 35 race with hundreds in it then a sub 40 race then a masses race. No chance of qualifying there, plus my 10k qualifying standard is 35.45 which is outside my ability. Wokingham will be a tough ask but qualifying aside It's a good time pre Manchester anyway. 

Nice tempo, you are definitely forging ahead very well. What's up next? 

Sounds about right, Gul, no rush to get back to it. 

CT it is a great set up, but like all things better than the norm, prices are higher than the norm. But as MsE says in the 3 ish years I've been with them we have worked on my mindset, pacing, s and c and so on. It's more than just a bloke smashing out the same weekly sessions to 15 different people. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It's hard for me to comment on the personal coach approach but I've seen several cases close up where it's working very effectively- as for Speedy and DT on our thread. For me personally though I do enjoy doing my own thing. As an older runner approaching 60 (in 14 months) with 35 years of running in my legs, I'm also more concerned with self preservation than reaching better times. Staying at my current competitive level for as long as possible is a bigger priority that reaching my max performance potential. 
    I'm still nursing the dodgy hip and lifting the mileage this week hasn't helped. So more swimming planned today. I'll be developing scales at this rate 🤔
  • SBD - Excellent result at GSR especially after your London time! I have to say I am very jealous of your recovery powers!

OO - Same goes to you! Great run of races and some excellent times

Gul - Good to see you are managing to get some runs in. I have actually started getting up at 5am 2/3 times a week to get my runs in. Was certainly a shock to the system running my first mile rep 30 mins after getting out of bed!

CT - I am also coached by Lewis at New Levels Coaching and can certainly vouch for the difference they have made to my running. 

Lorenzo - Excellent race at York, sub 3.10 is definitely on the cards in Manchester, congratulations to the rest of the family too. I meant to say I spotted you supporting in London but was on the other side of the road

Slowly getting back to it now, was left with a sore hip/lower back after London which I think I have now sorted with lots of stretching and foam rolling. My London time has really lit my motivational fires back up again, so am I looking forward to get stuck into the next block of training.
    Had a good chat with Lewis and the plan is pre Christmas to build back up and try and lay some solid foundations to be able to really kick on in the new year. So 4/5 runs a week, adding Gym in and also a weekly swim. Went to my first Swim Squad yesterday morning which I really enjoyed, although as it was an endurance session I ended up swimming 1600m which is 600m further then I have ever gone!
    I wanted to have a full XC season but as usual the Nov/Dec fixtures clash with other plans and the Jan fixture falls to close to a half I am looking at so the Warwickshire Champs may be my only race.

Looking at Farnborough half in Jan as an opportunity for a good winter hit out. Looks like its fairly flat. Has anyone done it before?
  • My club also organises a flat 10 mile race (Notts 10), which can be fast, but is essentially two large laps of a boating lake so can be hit by wind. One year it was so bad the portaloos blew over. I don't think anyone was in them at the time...
  • SEdan - building back nicely.

SBD - I completely forgot about the zoom meeting with New Levels last night. DT, it was a marathon workshop, sounded good.

I have always done my own thing, but thought it might be worth changing things up and giving it a try, so thanks for the feedback from everyone.

I have just signed up for Telford, it’s local to me but I’ve never actually ran it. Done parkrun in the same place and a local 5k race. The standard is ridiculous. I’m in the masses race or ‘wave 3’ and that is for 38 mins plus runners. Wave 1 is for runners males with a time of 28-30 mins and there’s a women’s elite race also. Since it fills up though, I imagine that wave 3 would still be quite competitive and you can email and move waves I think, the organiser is very accommodating.
  • GD - good controlled reps there :)
    SEDan - nice progress and good to ease back into things.
    Lorenzo  - if the weather was anything like it has been here, that would certainly been an interesting jaunt through the woods.
    SBD - great tempo run. 
    OO - and maybe flippers too then you won't need the buoy ;)
    Stevie - good to have a plan taking shape and pleased to see someone else is doing the early morning intervals.
    Speedy - that could have ended in serious embarrassment for someone!
    4 easy miles this morning. Spotted a hole in one of my shoe uppers - but they have done nigh on 800 miles.
  • CT- xpost. That does sound very competitive - good luck.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That Telford 10k sounds insane! I'll find a smaller event locally and take my chances, hopefully bagging a decent age group finish.
    My next event is a trail HM at the end of November, an event that's been postponed a few times since I entered early last year. Looking forward to race for position rather than time.

I track your exploits closely, OO as you're only a few years ahead of me, keep them legs moving fast, please, I need the hope! Now I know we're the same age, TR, I'll add you to my close watch list of better runners to help with my old geezer motivation. (there's compliments in there, lads! :D )

Spotted the New Balance 1080v11 London Edition on sale this week, they arrived yesterday, they're great. They'll be my LSR shoe for the next campaign as the two previous versions have been brilliant and last me around 600 miles.

Just an easy 5 miler planned today or tomorrow before hitting double figures again on the trails Saturday morning with some of the gang.
  • I'm in for Telford, in the ladies elite race.  I emailed the race director before entering to ask if I'd have company in wave 3 since wave 2 was already full (I know him from the training/race camps I used to go to in Portugal). He said it's usually won in 38 mins but he'd move me to wave 2 anyway. I reckon I'll go faster at the back of a fast race than the front of a slow one.
  • I did Telford back in 2019, it is rapid and such a good standard. I went in Wave 1 and even at the back there were plenty of people to run with
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stevie -good that vlm git the fires burning. Not run Farnborough, its not too far for me but a bit of a ballache to get to, but its supposed to be flat and pretty quick. Might be a dull route, not that that matters.

Dawg - agreed, its good to see other m50s still going sub3, i keep an eye on folks that are around my standard or better, in a "if they can do it then so can I' way.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    It's traditional to get faster when you become a V55 TR.

Telford Wave 2 for me.

I think you've had your money's worth on the shoes Gul!

You should have received an email with a link to the recording CT.  Worth watching.

Good to hear the motivation is back Stevie.  Have you signed up to Manchester?  It's always a lottery as to how the body will feel post marathon but I seem to have been lucky on this one. The magic shoes may have helped as well.  

Hope you can sort out the dodgy hip OO.  Do you never indulge in the sports massage?

The New Levels Coaching zoom meeting was pitched as a Marathon Workshop DT.  A soft marketing exercise with a good overview of the New Levels coaching approach  You got several mentions!  Worth entering Wokingham HM sooner than later in case they fill up.  Although I've put myself on the FB transfer list for Great Bentley I'm not expecting to get a place.

I'm focusing on speed for the next two months and chasing the short distance PBs.  So Derby 10m in November, a couple of localish 5 milers in the following weeks and then Telford 10K chasing the England vest. Might have a go at the park run PB in December as well! 

7.5 recovery miles early evening, heart rate nice and low and the right hamstring feeling like it's sorted itself out after the sports massage.  Back on the intervals tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - i think i can go a bit quicker than this years 2.54, esp with more even pacing, but im defo also in OOs camp that sub3 longevity is my main aim.

Those masters qualifying races are tricky to gauge, as you never know who is going to turn up. As i said before i did Chichester 10k feb 2020 (36.31) as a 5m, 10k, 7m training day and was around 20 sec away from qualifying, without knowing it , although they wouldnt have let me in anyway.
  • SBD - Unfortunately I am not doing Manchester, do feel like I am missing out though! I've got a wedding 3 days after that I am best man for. So next years target is Stratford Upon Avon marathon. Its my home marathon and I have had an ambition for a few years to try and win it. Its usually won in 2.40-2.45 so it will be tough but i'll give it my best shot!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Stevie: I did Farnborough the first year it was on, and I think they have changed the course since then (there was a twisty bit through some woodland).  It's fairly flat, and for me was a nice trip down memory lane (my granny used to live nearby).  Nice start/finish area if you're into aviation history!
  • GD - nice shoe buying.
    Speedy - sounds like you might be chasing another PB :)
    SBD  - your race schedule is coming together.
    Stevie  - great target for Stratford!
    4 steady miles this morning.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good running Lorenzo, SBD et al. A shedload of goth PBs to note too. Lovely dog MsE.

In Africa for the first time since COVID struck, great to be back, out for a 4K run before work. However at 6300ft the altitude really tells.  Might be the highest place I’ve ever tried to run. Anything above a gentle jog gets ugly!

Meanwhile…one more chance at redemption

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Hi all - not much time to check back on comments but had a nice tempo run yesterday, combined with recovery run today. I also entered the ballot for the Chicago marathon in October 2022. I'll find out in December if I got in.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care Poacher and glad to hear your are managing to run.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    TR - I think you can run Sub 2:50 if you want to.  You have the speed - structuring the training so you peak for your target marathon would get you there.  If you want to chase the 10K or HM England vest you just need to join a club

Winning the local marathon is a good target Stevie - definitely worth a go! 

What time are you going out on a morning in the new regime Gul?

Good altitude training Poacher.  Is that the ballot you've entered?  Hopefully, you get a place.

Chicago sounds good SEdan - I'm planning to run in 2023.

Intervals early evening, 6 sets of 1K with 500m jog recoveries.  Splits of 3:42, 3:42, 3:42, 3:42, 3:39 and 3:39.  16K in total including w/u and w/d.  Hard work but good to have got done.

The GSR results have been posted on Po10 - just about everyone in the top 100 ran a PB so conditions were clearly good!  My result gave me an age grading of 85%, so not too bad!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - yes, maybe, i could aim 2.52 at Brighton (weather dependent) and the 2.50 at vlm. Good going on the 1ks, my OP is still sore, so im still taling it easy, feels similar to April though........Sunday was about as good as the weather gets round here, but dont forget that folks rarely get to race 10m so PBs were likely.
  • SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    The weather has definitely dropped here in New England. It still felt like summer until middle of the week but I felt chilly on my run this morning. I did a first tentative go at some faster running with 6 x 800s via laps of the local park. My wife needed a lie in so it was a little late to go to the high school track, given they have a high school 'football' game starting soon.

Whenever I start intervals by myself I have a tendency to overcook things and not be consistent. Felt controlled today with all intervals very close to 3:40s. That is a good start. In the run up to my London Marathon PB in 2015 I was running 1ks on the track in the same time (I always found Yasso's 800s somewhat reliable +/- 5 or 10 mins). The upside is that I have all this improvement to hopefully look forward to again - I have to think at 37 there could still be some life in the legs yet.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SEdan , I hadn't even run a mara at 37, think you'll be good. 

Sbd, as tr says 5 and 10m races are usually stacked with pbs as most will only run one a year if that. I suspect many at gsr hadn't run a 10m race since 2019. 

In what context was I mentioned? 

Solid reps. 

Good luck in the ballot Poacher. 

Nice progressive run yesterday on coastal path. 6m starting at 7.45 then last two at 6.09 and 6.07 for 6.41 average. Was hard going in 25c. Off out for a bit longer and slower this pm. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    No ballot, it's a deferral from this year. I'm in. No counting chickens of course. Hoping that even a week or so of altitude training will be a kick start and a reminder of no pain, no gain.