Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Bad luck on the tummy troubles Jooligan, you did well to see it through after that.

OO.. beautifully paced marathon and congrats on the V55 podium.  Decent consolation for missing London I guess.  As TR said hope you can enjoy a few celebratory beers.

TR.. yes the Newport tracker was pretty good, the one at York worked well too.  However the Manchester tracker was a shambles!
    Good work on the turbo.

RS.. I tend to do the Rising Sun Parkrun when I'm visiting my sister in Killingbeck.   I had a chat with a couple of the Heaton runners on my last visit, seem a decent crowd.

10m today, a bit damp & blustery though I guess that's what Newport was like.
    53m for the week so post London weeks have been 14, 45, 53.  Legs seem ok now. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Cheers Wardi and Jooligan

Jooligan, still a very decent time, given your amazing recent adventures and lack of marathon specific training.  Surpassed myself today 5 pre-race number 2s. I looked for you at the start but so many people milling about. My only quibble, there was only 1 and not 2 gel stations as advertise, I ran with 2, took there's by 2 hours and could have done with another. 

Wardi, yes I think so and we had the same weather. Maybe gone quicker in London this race was so less hassle vs London, number mailed out,  lots of parking close to the finish/ start, easy bag drop off and an only slightly over distance route, measured at 26.35. Good recovery from London.

Spoke with a guy after the race, he did Amsterdam last week in 2.49, Newport this in 2.52.  :open_mouth:
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Agree about the hassle free experience OO. Parked a mile away & loosened off by walking to the start. Baggage drop-off & reclaim were easy. Decent undercover changing & stretching area. Plenty of space to run freely - other than in the pacer’s pack. Pockets of support but also plenty of quiet running which suits me.
    I got gels twice so guess you missed one somehow.
    Time was v. close to my B goal of beating my April time & well inside the C goal of sub 3:30. Just annoyed I didn’t keep the handbrake on for longer then finish strong.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - i was tracking you too, you did hit the accelerator quite hard. So you nearly got it right. You are a tough nut for getting it done, esp when you spread your running accross so many races and terrains. You're not going to be a person who is going to put a 12 week build up in with a sole marathon focus, so you did pretty well today, as you say you got excited and went a bit early.

OO - true re vlm, theres a lot to suck energy from your race around the occasion and race day. I was on the road at 6 for a 9.30 start, drive, walk, train etc, theres a lot of wasted time with the weaving about on course too. But its the occasion that folks run it for. I think i run better in less crowded races, somerhibg like Abo is ideal where you get around 100 folks go sub3.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Excellent running OO - that's a great time post Covid infection.  Good restraint in the early miles and a good split.
  • OO - Great run. A triumph over adversity. Did look at your live tracking a couple of times and just got the sense from the splits that you were totally in control.
    Jools - No shame in that performance. Tummy troubles are a pain. Are you still on a running streak? Getting out today?
    Wardi - decent build up there. You're already back in a rhythm. I'm from a family of Palace fans who naturally are a little disappointed with the weekend's result.

As expected, no running for me Friday and Saturday but a great time at the wedding. 26.2km yesterday at 6:51 min/mileing. Another 40 mile week but with a lot of quality. It's back now to the training plan for the 8 week build up to Aintree.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, OO and Jooligan.  Fantastic pacing, OO, and Jooligan, by the sounds of things you were a bit unlucky.

9M on Saturday for me, and then 75 minutes of cross-training yesterday in the gym, with a couple of hours walking in the afternoon with Mr. J.  I had good intentions to run this morning, but then one of the cats decided she wanted to sit on my lap, so it seemed rude to say no.  Looks like a nice day, so if I can get my work done at a reasonable time I might head out later to catch the last of the light.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Amazing OO - that's great pacing and running. Painful with blister.

Jooligan - tough say out.

Good to read you're back to it Wardi.

Well done Jools - things looking up hopefully.

I did 8hrs last week with 52km of running. Having a day off today as I feel tired. 
  • Still streaking RJR. Yesterday was #347 - I’ll get out for a jog this evening. Decent metric marathon. Great marathon training run.
    Good to hear you’re on the mend Joolska.
    Take it that’s 8hrs of training Toro.
  • Cheers Joe, Joolska and Toro.  
    Cracking metric marathon Joe and lovely sub3 pace. 

Noticed the blister at mile 7, and when thought about it, it throbbed so choose not to think about it.  Yes, Joe my best paced marathon to date and might adopt this more conservative approach next time - Gran Canaria November 24th. Sub250, maybe TR.  I've the Malaga marathon in December where I've previously run 2.50.35 so might give it a go here. 

Jooligan #347  :o  steely and good spot on the second gel offered, I must have been in the zone, not sure what zone but certaintly not the gel spotting zone.

Legs feel fine today, though not looking to the visit to the dentist for a tooth extraction! 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ended up with a rest day yesterday, 10 miles this morning.  First double digit since the calves stopped co-operating.
  • Jooligan - that's ridiculous, fair play!
    Toro - not sure when I last did 8 miles of training in a mostly running week. Not surprised you need a rest.
    Joolska - that's good news, assuming the calves held up today?
    OO - I have to say I felt better at GNR for a conservative start. The worry is normally that I won't be able to push on later on and so i'll have left time on the road but over a half or marathon I think there's always distance to make up time.

Took a complete rest day yesterday ie no S&C. 6.5 miles today. Legs very ropey to begin with but they did warm up into it. Hopefully get some stretching in later and maybe even some time on the foam roller if I can remember where i've put it.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - nice one, thats 16m at sub3 pace.

Jools - good news on the 10m, are the calves still tight or have uou loosened them up?

OO - you've bounced back quickly. You mean either 21st or 28th,  but either way its a quick turnaround although you've that successfully before.

10m yday,,10m today creaking a bit less. Need to decide what to do re Gosport 1/2 Nov 28th,,and Goodwood on Dec 5th. As it stands im entered into the GW mara, but probably need to shorten GW to 1/2 or 10k,, as a full bore 1/2 would ruin the mara.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. good to see you confident enough to tackle a 10 miler, hope it went well.

OO.. I'd forgotten you had Gran Canaria before Malaga, good luck with the recovery & build up to that one!

Joe.. over 16m @ 6.51 pace is a cracking run, that rest day was well earned.

TR.. good effort doing 10m 2 days on the bounce.  Interesting dilemma re. Gosport and Goodwood.

After 5m recovery in the sun yesterday I managed a 4m+7.5m double today.  Last 4m of tonight's run with the club was just inside MP so a decent workout.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    The calves are getting there: still a tendency to get tight, so I'm sticking to alternate days at the moment and going to the gym a few times a week as well to top up the cardio.  Bit of life stress at the moment (Mr. J's dad has been admitted to hospital as they suspect he has had a mild stroke), so took it easy this morning rather than dashing off to the gym.
  • Sorry to hear that Jools, I hope he's ok. 

First interval session post VMLM for me last night. 6 x 1k (ish) aiming for 5k pace. They all came out around 3.45 - 3.49, and given that they're marginally over 1k I suspect that's about right. I'm not one that can PB post marathon so 19 mins is probably what I would expect right now. It's good to be back doing 'training' rather than 'a bit of running'. 
  • TR - Shame they are that way round. 10k one week, half the next probably would have been more ideal. Good back to back 10s.
    Wardi - cheers. Went on feel and was cruising at 6:40 min/miles until suddenly I wasn't so struggled for the last 6 miles. Nice to see your miles are still ticking over and there's some quicker stuff in there.
    Jools - hope he is ok and recovers well. Alternate days sounds good.
    CC2 - That's pretty sharp. Will probably help a bit for the XC.

Threshold session for me today. 20 mins threshold, 5 mins jog, 16 mins threshold. 5:50 pace for first 20 mins, 6:05 for the the 16. Not perfectly paced but I held it together ok. Surprised that there's only one similar workout left on the plan although I do have the option of a tune up 10k at some point.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - that drop of mp shows you're going well already.

Jools - sounds like you sre managing your calves well then. Hopefully Mr J's dad gets the treatment he needs quickly and gets well soon.

CC - well done on the reps, any running is good training though.

Joe - that second rep sounds a toughie so well played.

I joined CC with a first run session since vlm (ive done a couple on the turbo), 10m inc 12x3min/30sec jog, came in about right given it was pretty breezy.

Ill run Gosport (effort level dependant upon on the day weather) and then decide what to do re Goodwood, i could always use it as an early 2023 gfa qualifier.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. sorry to hear of the family strife.  About 20yrs ago my MIL had a nasty stroke and we were quite worried about her.  In the event she made a full recovery and is now well into her 80's.  She also survived a fall down a flight of stairs and a broken hip a few years ago.  I think she's using the cat 9 lives formula!

Joe.  that's quite a tough session, kudos for hanging on to those paces.

CC2.. good to see you back in amongst the speed work, any intentions of a Parkrun to see where you're at?

TR.. good session in the breeze there, do your legs feel OK after that?

Windy here too so chose my sheltered Sustrans route for an out & back 10.5m this morning.  
    In other news my NB Fuel Cell TC have developed a 1cm tear in the upper, a bit disappointing after a few months.  I have carefully stitched it up however and after 3 runs it is still holding!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Pleased to report that FIL was discharged late yesterday.  CT not concerning, but he needs an MRI within a week.  Mr. J (medic) assures me this is normal procedure.  And more importantly, he seems fairly calm about it.

8 miles steady in the dark this morning.  Today's court hearing was in person, so - horror of horrors! - I had to be clean, tidy, and ready to leave at 8.25am, instead of rolling to my desk in the lounge at 8.59am.  Funny how used you get to the new version of life!
  • TR - That's quite a tough session is it not? I guess it depends on pace. Something steady? I have to say I did think about your wind troubles yesterday when for the last few mins of my first rep was straight into the breeze. Felt like I was hardly moving and I thought about what that would be like for a good number of miles in a marathon.
    Wardi - that's lame on the shoe front. Hopefully since it's the upper it will hold together ok.
    Jools - that's good news. I'm going to be in a similar boat next week as I'm teaching face to face for the first time in 19 months. Going to have to reacquaint myself with an iron.

9 miles for me at lunch. These distances that you gobble up in marathon training are becoming more comfortable.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I think the last time I used an iron was 2013, for my one and only experience to date of the Court of Appeal.  Generally I make do with a smart top, but no need for a shirt.  Just occasionally, life has a touch of female privilege!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Wardi - legs felt ok, biggest issue is still the OP stuff, but its settling after vlm......good repair skills, i meant to say (as you're a NB man), ive never bought NB as they are too pricey for every day shoes, but i was struggling to to get any Rides or Pegs cheaper than 75ish, so i splashed a few pounds more on some 1080s, they feel good, a firm ride so i like them, i thought theyd be heavy and soft.

Good news on the FiL jools, agreed on the dark running now. Headtorch will be out next week.

Joe - its like a fartlek not hard, the av pace of the 49ins total comes around slow mp. Agreed on the windy running, esp in those lonely Goodwood maras, you know you dont get back what you lose, and its tough mentally and physically, i remember telling myself on the way to vlm start that today was going to be a breeze in comparison........gobbling up miles is a good sign.

A post vlm aim was to try to include a 2nd turbo some weeks. Today was a morning 6m easy run and a 5pm 60min turbo (inc 4x10min) as i was off work today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I think NB used to be reasonably priced but since they became 'trendy' and a LM sponsor the prices have gone up noticeably.  I do keep an eye out for last year's models and pick up the odd bargain.  There also seems to be an ongoing discount code which comes in handy!
    Nice mix of training today, the turbo and/or cycling is good x training.
    Jools..better news on FIL, hope it continues.  My last use of an iron was in unision with a damp towel - raising a flattened section of carpet on which a cupboard had rested.  The things you learn on Youtube.
    Joe.. good miles at lunchtime, I used to use commutes to run home to try and fit the miles in.
    Blowing around 20 mph here so picked a local cart track with a bit of shelter for a steady 5.3m.  Looks rough and very wet up in the Lakes ATM.
  • I used an iron last week. I'm surprised it didn't snow afterwards. I only own a few things that require ironing and generally save them up until I have enough to make it worthwhile paying someone else to do it for me (once a year!). But there was this one top I wanted to wear, so....

Easy run in the wind tonight. The first half was hard work but the second half was a breeze. Pun intended.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed, i always try yo save by buying older models.

CC - Id already used that pun yday.

12m pretty windy out, didnt get as rained on as much as expected though.
  • Belated congrats to Jooligan for toughing out those last few miles at Newport and to OO on a very nicely paced run and continuation of the sub3 streak. Both inspirational. 

Good to read better news from Jools re FiL. 

Just about clinging on here. Still awaiting date for scan. I was told it will be a further 8 weeks minimum. No improvement with the ankle. Feels the same it did 3 months ago. I am jogging a little just to keep some sort of motivation but when I do it feels alien and total loss of form is understandable I suppose.

I have entered Manchester in April but ideally I'd like to be base building through November. That looks unlikely. 

As always, great to read of others training consistently. Keep it up folks. SJ
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Crikey SJ that is very strange- most muscle/tendon injuries would normally show some signs of improvement after this length of time. Very frustrating for you, hope the scan offers a few clues.

TR.. I have the same approach with mobile phones - buy a model that's about 2yrs old for a third of the price when new.  Let the kids fight over the latest iPhone or whatever.

6.3m this morning, a stiff breeze again though still quite warm.  Parkrun looks a bit damp & gusty tomorrow too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - sorry to hear that, frustrating times for you. Hope the scan gets you a path back. You missed put last yr too when you were prevented from running yr December mara.

Wardi - after a few strangely still weekends here, the wind and rain is turning up in earnest this weekend. Going to cop it during tomorrow's  long run.

Will have a few frothies in a while to prepare for tomorrow's long run.