Sub 3h15

Comments

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    I went for my go to 12m long run route this morning (averaging 9:37 pace). It's a really nice route and very picturesque at this time of year with the New England 'fall foliage'. However it is pretty hilly with the first 7m of constant climbing. When I was gearing up for a Spring HM last year (which was cancelled, and I didn't do much after that) I think I got a bit fitter and stronger doing this route regularly.

Somewhere at the back of my mind I remembered that Lydiard was a big believer in the hilly Sunday LR, which according to this website was a 1128ft climb over 22m.

My 12m was 607ft so I am now going to call this my mini Waiatarua. As I gear up to Marathon training it is very easy to extend with some extra hills as the route is basically straight up from where I live on the Connecticut coast towards New York state and then back down via parallel roads.

Very different to my long runs in London starting out from Blackheath, under the foot tunnel to Canary Wharf and then back round over Tower Bridge (basically flat other than Blackheath / Greenwich Park).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I know that route well SEdan. Did it a few times from my daughters flat in Greenwich.
    Manflu has taken me down since Friday. Tried a couple of plod runs to scape 28 for the week.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good work on the hilly 12 miler SEdan.  I used to do the full Hilliard hilly 22 mile variety when I was training for Boston but have reverted back to the flat cycle trail since!

Have you entered Manchester as well Poacher?  Where about are you in Africa?

Good speed at the end of the progressive DT.  You were a case study for good marathon pacing and the negative split.

16 mile long run setting off at 8:00am.  Conditions good with a light breeze and sunshine towards the end of the run.  Legs feeling a bit heavy so it was hard work to complete the distance.  7:49/m average pace and 68 miles for the week.
  • Poacher - hopefully nothing will scupper your plans this time, but I think you might be peaking a bit too soon with the altitude training :)
    SEDan - nicely controlled intervals. Good luck with the Chicago ballot. That hill training should stand you in good stead.
    DT - didn't realise it had been that hot. Very pleasing progressive run.
    OO - get well soon.
    SBD - that's a big week already! Impressive. At the moment, I'm fitting in an odd few miles between 8 and 9 am.
    No running again this weekend - not quite sure how to fit any in at the weekend as Mrs GD doesn't work then! Out this morning for some pyramid strides starting with 20 (double) strides and going up in blocks of 5 to 50 and then back down again. Plus 1 mile warm/up and 1 mile warm/down.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul when I come down to sea level I will have a go at a course record for 103 circuits of your legendary field

SBD - Manchester yes. And Kenya, work not pleasure although the monkeys in the car park are quite entertaining.

Get well soon OO - you have been running hard lately, a break might be a good thing.
  • Poacher - 103 circuits will be a de facto record. Hugh Dennis was here a few weeks ago, but fortunately he dug up a different field - something to do with the civil war I think.
    Squeezed in 2 and a bit miles this lunchtime with a easy out and back run to the bank.
  • Poacher - 103 laps of the field? Perhaps you could get Madbark to join you!!! Hope it's all going well in Kenya.

SEdan - the idea of a nice hilly 22 miler sounds like fun to me. Are your planned routes on or off road?

Sounds like you're having a good time DT - glad you finally managed to get away after all the recent trials and tribulations.

Just back from another weekend in Yorkshire, including a top 10 finish at an attractive and undulating Hillsborough parkrun. 20:45 was a bit so-so, but I could still feel the marathon in my legs so not too bad. Also managed a very pleasant run along the Leeds-Liverpool canal from Saltaire to Five Locks Rise on the Sunday, which got me thinking about (and starting to do a bit of provisional planning for!) a possible run along the 127 mile length of it. The route from Liverpool looks pretty spectacular heading up through Wigan, Blackburn and Burnley, then over to Skipton and down to Leeds via Saltaire. Very tempting.

4 miles this morning, investigating a new loop for some Strava segment reps.

• Lorenzo - decent parkrun outing there. Great idea about the Leeds-Liverpool canal. Done some of it on a narrowboat many years ago around the Skipton area. I think we got as far as the locks near Bingley and decided it was time to head back :)
    Did a progressive 5 miler this morning. Had planned just to do an easy run but got a bit carried away  :(
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Was that a short break or a house hunting trip Lorenzo?
    Manflu has entered the snot phase. Unable to train but getting out for a few walks. Desperate for this to pass as I'm bored rigid.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    OO: take it easy with that man flu.  

Lorenzo: I love a nice canal run, and do want to do Reading to Bristol one day: I just need my body to start holding together a bit better, first!  I can't believe it's nearly 10 years since I did Bristol to Reading...  My top tip is to check the website for the canal shortly before you do the run to find out if there are any towpath closures.  I seem to recall a bit of a freak out on day 2 when I came across a fence and a diversion onto the road.

10 miles this morning.
  • Seems like everyone is ill at the moment. <div>
    </div><div>Selfishly toddler T got ill, forcing a covid test, she gave this to baby T, who then got a chest infection and a cough, so we had to give her a lateral flow before going to the docs. Of course, this then meant that Mrs T and then me, both got poorly, meaning only 15 miles last week.

Well done on sneaking the runs in Gul, I do enjoy getting carried away at times.

Nice park run Lorenzo.

Good miles for the week SBD.

Enjoy lanzarote DT.

4 and 5 for me so far this week. Back at work next week, so making the most of running in the daylight while I still can.</div>
  • OO - short break catching up with both the Lorenzitos rather than house hunting. On the subject, the Dales or the North York Moors are still top of the list, although there's definitely something about Sheffield that's very appealing as well. Hope you recover from the manflu soon.

Jools - I remember following your exploits from Bristol to Reading. Wasn't that your "Running home for Christmas" trip? I agree with you about the canal running - I find it both relaxing from a running perspective and intriguing to think about how they were such an important form of transport. I love finding a canal run in a city (London, Manchester, Birmingham to name a few) as you really see it from a different point of view.

About 7.5 miles for me today, spread across various legs of the commute
  • SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    We had a storm overnight which passed into the early morning. Here on the East Coast USA they call it a "Nor'easter" which generally means heavy rain or snow depending on how cold it is. We haven't really got into winter but I did get drenched with very heavy rain after getting up at 5am this morning for a 6 mile easy run.

I then trundled on the train into NYC only to discover that half of my team were stranded in another city after flights were cancelled yesterday evening, so I may as well have stayed at home. Most of the rest of the office also stayed at home due to the storm (I guess any slight reason not to go into the office is enough these days!). I decided there was not much point staying in the office with very few people around so came home to finish my work.

This afternoon I had more energy then expected so went for a 3m recovery run making it a total of 9 miles for the day and feeling good.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That was indeed Running Home for Christmas, Lorenzo.  Well remembered!  

A bit distracted by life stress, as OH's dad has been admitted to hospital with a suspected mild stroke, so took it easy and chilled this morning rather than dashing off to the gym.
  • OO - TMI :)
    Jools - nice to do 10 miles. Taking it easy still, I presume? I enjoyed doing a few riverside runs this year, but towpaths are more predictable (assuming there's no work going on!) Sorry to hear about Mr Jools' dad; hope he makes a speedy, full recovery.
    CT - hope the family are better now.
    Lorenzo - the Dales or Moors sound much more appealing to me than Sheffield, but handy to be near a large city too, I guess.
    SEDan  - how frustrating. Good opportunistic recovery run :)
    Had a few jobs to do this morning, so only time for 2 miles. My recovery/easy pace seems to have got faster now I'm only running 20-odd miles a week.

• Sheffield has good access to the Dales Lorenzo, I went to Uni there, it's a nice place.

First interval session post VMLM for me last night. 6 x 1k (ish) aiming for 5k pace. They all came out around 3.45 - 3.49, and given that they're marginally over 1k I suspect that's about right. I'm not one that can PB post marathon so 19 mins is probably what I would expect right now. It's good to be back doing 'training' rather than 'a bit of running'. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Was actually thinking of doing Hillsborough parkrun last Sat, Lorenzo - if I'd known you were there, I could have tried to complete 2 laps whilst you finished the 3 !   :)  

you may like this piece I read today 

Do the Don – walking the rewilded river from Doncaster to Sheffield | Walking holidays | The Guardian
  • Sounds as though you had good fun on your run SEdan - I do enjoy a good run in the dark and rain as long as I know I'm going to get back to a nice warm shower before too long.

Jools - hope Mr Jools' dad is recovering OK.

Speedy - I really like Sheffield as a city. Plenty of things going on as well as a great sense of heritage and pride in the place. I just like the idea of running out of the house and being out on the moors as well, hence looking at some of the towns and villages further north.

Birch - thanks for the article. Just read it. Sounds like an interesting long run from bonny Donny to the Steel City, while the Blue Loop could be an attractive run first thing in the morning. We were undecided as to whether to do Hillsborough, Sheffield Castle or Concord this time - we've done both Graves and Endcliffe (was that where we caught up with you?) and I'm a sucker for trying out parkruns I've not done before. I'm up to 40 different parkruns now. 

7 off road miles through the woods this morning on one of my favourite routes. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound negative about Sheffield (and Mrs GD is from South Yorkshire after all)! A very nice place, but I guess I'm not a city kind of person :)  And it is wonderfully situated so close to the Peak District. 
    Speedy - good to get a set of decent intervals in.
    Birch - enjoyed reading that article and recognised the names of some of the places. Now fancy some mushy peas!
    Lorenzo - envious of your run in the woods - by the time I get to my nearest one it would be more or less time to turn round and come home again :)
    This morning I did 5 miles with 3 sets of 300m efforts with 300m recoveries. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    2 of my daughters went to Uni in Sheffield, both 4 year MSc's so I was back and forth there over many years. They both loved it and junior who is a serious runner loved getting out into the surrounding countryside on her runs- she did moan about all the hills though, which is very different to the North East Coast where we live.  Most of their student digs were invariably on a hill. That's my lasting memory 🧐
    No running here, still down with the lergy.
  • Yup, my various digs in Sheffield were all on massive hills. I live at the top of a massive hill in Nottingham now. If I move again I'm going somewhere flat!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - "mushy peas" !   :D  

Lorenzo - yes, 'twas Endcliffe. The route has changed now - still 2 laps, but stays within the park; instead of exiting left onto the pavement at the far end, it veers right, over a footbridge onto a rough track. Understandable, as the numbers were such that it became a H & S issue - folks running in the road down the stretch outside.  Mind you, still potential for a bit of carnage on the "rough " section :)  
    double buggy 1
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Bristol is full of hills...

Pleased to report that FIL was discharged late yesterday: CT was ok but needs an MRI within a week to make sure nothing adverse that the CT wouldn't have picked up. 

8 miles steady this morning.  Bit creaky, and it was odd being back running in the dark, but my court hearing today was in person, so I actually had to be clean, tidy and ready to leave the house at 8.25am, instead of 8.59am.  To think that used to be my life!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Having lived the initial 18 years of my life in West Yorkshire, I'm quite happy to be living down South for now!

12k recovery miles followed by some S&C early evening.  Legs not feeling very happy for some reason at the moment so will see how the next few days pan out.
  • Jools - the tables have turned. I am running in daylight now :)
    SBD - hope your legs are feeling better today.
    5 steady miles this morning and not a hill in sight.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope you're well on the mend, OO.
    Positive news on the FIL, Jools. Nice one.

Quite flat in this part of Surrey, but just down the road we have the Surrey Hills which is proper lumpy. Love it over there. Will be there in the next few weeks.

Finally! A session where I felt like a proper runner again. Track last night. My hamstrings are improving ever so slightly each day with some core and strength work. Session last nigh was 15 x 300m with 100m walking recoveries. Coach let me find the effort pace but predicted 60 seconds and he was spot on. Hamstrings improved after about 3 reps and then we were hitting 58 secs for the reps. Felt smoother than anything since London.

A bit disappointed I'll just miss 100 miles for October due to recovery but November should be better with a couple of races thrown in, then campaign start in December should see me hit a 2000 mile year for the first time ever.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - you're doing well to be back om the track, apart from the like of the Abingfon start/finish i havnt run on a track since i was a nipper.

Gul - you aswered the question i was going to ask - are you doing these short runs at 4am, the answer is no, so you are getting a whole lot more sleep than you used to get. Good to see you enjoying the change.

Ive been easing it back up,  i still have some of this OP type groin/pobic soreness to manage, but its getting there. Done a few double digit runs this week inc some 3min reps.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry for not properly catching up but am glad to see the OH's dad is on the mend Jools 

Been a hectic year for me starting with my mum's funeral and rounding it off (so far) with my aunt's funeral this week. But life moves on and I have a new job plus a new puppy keeping me busy. A friend talked me into signing up for Tokyo marathon on Thursday night to accompany her on her last Abbott marathon major before she hits 50 (which was her goal). My coach has prescribed two months of getting me resilient enough to do justice to the training required which will be a 9 week campaign. I will have to be a bit more present so you lot can hold me accountable.

Been ticking over with around 45 miles a week. Started two speed sessions a week a couple of weeks ago. The first time in several years and three years since I started running again. Time flies but also a lot has happened in that time. My ankle has truthfully needed three years to recover from the injury and repair. Tokyo will be 5 and a half years since my last marathon so I will treat it as a first attempt to establish a benchmark. Jet lag may hold me back from any time goals so I think I will aim to just get strong from the training and look to run a competitive effort later in the year. 

Today was 10.54 mi @7:32min/mi. Felt nice and easy although I am now wearing Asics carbon shoes for road efforts to help with fatigue more than anything. Am sure they boost the speed by around 10 sec/mi. or at least that is the effort it felt like. Will head out for a longer trail run tomorrow - fancy meeting up The Runner Formerly Known as Lorenzo?
  • Are those the Metaspeed Sky MsE? I'd love to try them since I don't get on with Nike and they come out second best in all the testing I've seen, but £224 is a bit steep if I don't like them! Not sure they'll fit my feet. I tried every shoe of every brand back when I worked in a running shop (part of the job to know how they fit) and the instep was always too far forward and too high for me in their support shoes, although I recall thinking the top of the range neutrals at the time felt comfy. I don't really need support shoes these days though, and I'm assuming the carbon ones are neutral...

Had a crack at Long Eaton parkrun this morning to see where I'm at. I guessed around 19 mins. I ran 19.02. It rained heavily throughout and then properly bucketed down on my cool down. The sun is out now though. The forecast for tomorrow is also monsoons all morning but a drier afternoon, so I might have a long lie in and go out after lunch for 10 miles. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Is it the next Tokyo, MSE, or 2023? I also just need Tokyo to complete the majors but I'm waiting to see how that region comes out of Covid before making any solid travel plans. 
    I'll bite the bullet and go with a travel firm as semi-elite qualication is not possible for me.

My Abbott stats show my major average times to be 3.11, so that's my Tokyo target which should also be a GFA for London. I'll train for a PB of course but Tokyo will be a celebration race, no pressure