Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Best of luck at Broadway Marathon SQ. Likewise at the relays Simon.
    Just a lunch 4.4M along the canal in the sun for me today.
    Parkrun tomorrow then Sunday's LSR will be along the 1st section of Offa's Dyke Way from Chepstow to Pandy with a couple of mates so should end up being back up to 60M for the week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it was aching like I'd done an intense sit up session Simon! But i've had these every so often, always go by the next day thank goodness.

There's XC, and there's travelling 100s of miles for XC!! Good luck.

4.4m Jools? That's an odd distance for us stats anoraks :D 
  • Handy turnaround point & c.35 mins of running SG
  • I just saw this on Twitter:

https://www.southamptonathleticclub.org.uk/wordpress/dave-blackman-1966-2021/

I only ever met Dave once at Wycombe Rye parkrun at a time when I used to go round and be the first old 'un back home and suddenly I was second in that category by some way. Instantly nice guy, we had a chat and cool down afterwards. Born in 66 so a year younger than I and as fit as a fiddle. I guess a few more on this thread know him better than I as he was a regular track athlete in the leagues. 
  • I didn't know the guy, but very sad news and a bit close to home given his age!

So, before we get the epic 7 pager in form SG, thought I'd get my post in :wink:

Last minute decision to do Wendover Woods parkrun yesterday (decided at 0835!).  An entertaining first mile and a half where me and a another old bloke were overtaken after half mile by a young guy in a hoody, blowing hard. We both independently thought he would blow up! The other guy then overtook this lad on a hill, only to have him react instantly and try to sprint away!  Surprisingly he actually held us off until the next hill (must have been so hot in his hoody!) before he started going backwards!

In some ways it's a horrible course. The last mile is all steady uphill so you just can't drag anything back. I almost peeled off and went home with a mile to go as well, as my hamstring suddenly started hurting again, but I thought, feck it, I'm carrying on. It did slow me a little though and finished in 21.45, bang between my other two times on this course. 1st V50 though :smile:

I wasn't expecting to be able to run today, but set off prepared to give up. Actually managed 11 slow miles in the end without too much discomfort.

In other news, I had a second date last night :blush: We went for a walk on the mighty Dunstable Downs (in the dark!) before bowling, pool and the pub! Far longer than I was expecting and made me feel like I was 18 again!!

• I am ignoring the sad story and moving on to Bus's dating, I thought it sounded like dogging initially but thankfully the bowling onwards bit cleared that up.

An easy run double for me yesterday, filling the gaps while I waited for my girls to do their respective gymnastics. That took me to 40 miles for the week. 7am start today for a 3 hour indoor ride, I am supposed to go swimming later but it's looking doubtful due to a lack of enthusiasm.

Seeing lots of Reading half on my Strava feed, I had been very tempted but I am proud of myself for not knocking out another pointless half baked half marathon.
  • Lol! 40 for me too, but not supplemented by any cycling!

Learnt a value lesson today - avoid the Gruffalo trail at Wendover Woods on a sunny Sunday morning 🤣
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dating?!
    Astounding work! Best of luck with it :)

And if you will insist on doing ferocious parkruns that obliterate hamstrings, then I suppose that's a good result ;)

Right, I best get a quick report in before SQ's monster one ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Marlow 7 today then.

Really fancied this one, in a way you wouldn't necessarily expect for someone who much prefers flat ones. 
    However, that Marlow 10k offroad a few weeks ago unlocked my mind from the habit of all those 5ks in the rest of the gaps in the pandemic/lockdowns, and then the Silverstone 10k and Metros XC the other week made me just really fancy it.

I always "mean" to get back and do this or the half, but in truth it's been 10 years since I left Marlow Striders, and I've only managed the 7 miler once.
    I deferred a place over about 3 years once, missing it through all manner of nonsense.

Did my ribs one year, illness, some sort of clash, then recent years, vertigo and the pandemic wiping stuff out. Add a few years just not fancying it at all, in and around the 2015 collapse, and time quickly runs out doesn't it.

However, I'm huge on enjoying every morsel of the racing experience these days, so I was well up for this one.
    (ED - we get it, you fancied it, get on with it)

Just like the XC 2 weeks ago, i'd had a tiny scare on the Thursday, with some sort of coldy/allergy that meant I was sneezing so hard my stomach felt like I'd done hours of Lit's Pilates stuff.
    However, that all disappeared completely, and luckily I hadn't gone up to Manchester for the footy, so was totally fresh.

Only actually got round to entering in midweek, but no particular issue, and it was all ready to go.

5mile drive to the event was lovely, and although sometimes I love a race drive as part of the experience, it's also nice to just be there in 10-15mins at times too.

Actually paid a quid for parking despite knowing the area very well, as Mee Meep, occasional poster years back, long term reader these days was stationed on the West Street one.
    And I was slightly put off by talk of the place I usually park not having exit available until 12.30!

Took away most complications, and relied on a bag storage for probably the first time in about 3 or more years!
    A few old Marlow pals greeted, number picked up - a weird one that looked to have 2 bits of polystyrene type stuff, but no chip where you'd expect it - all fine apparently.
    Then acting like it was my first race, by asking someone where the label for baggage was.... on your race number, perforated you nobber :D 

Some lady had a very strange tone of telling me this, like I was a 4 year old in her class at best, or slightly simple at worst, but it's the last 30mins, brains turn to poopy.

Usual last 30mins pre race then - time absolutely zips away. Scraped a 1.5miler in and was feeling fairly relaxed bearing in mind this course is an animal for hills.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jogged over to the start field, and the last 5mins seemed to take ages. I was back in and out of the trees like some kind of pro lumberjack.

Didn't clock the "Dom-inator", a local legend who is always winning for half a mile whatever quality of field it is, before reality kicks in. A good lad, but some astounding training at times, and always with the tired legs.

The start was an absolute bungle job, a line of Striders officials standing blocking the racers, the bang of the firework starting, and them then realising they needed to quickly get out the way, or be trampled over!!

This race would be ranked on chip, which was quite bizarre, as it wasn't at all distanced, despite talk of there being "space" between the time settings.
    Hoped I'd not get stitched in some way, as I had vague ideas of potentially coming in some sort of mixer prize wise if it went brilliantly.

Off we go then, and I'm watching a lead group of about 8 monster off.

The elevation of what we were about to undertake is below

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    The first half mile "seems" flat, but in reality has a slight incline itself up through the High Street then left.

Got a decent pic in here at the turn, before it had settled a bit.

Same distance again to the Ford garage, and this is where the race properly begins with a long gradual climb.

Recognised another Handy Cross guy who I'm sure did 75 at Wokingham in a recent year. He was panting hard, but same sort of pace as me doing the shorter race, so would definitely be up there.

For some reason I found myself saying "well done Matt" at the steepest bit, and doing a thumbs up. Bit too early for race delirium, so goodness knows what that was about.
    He gave me the look I deserved, then took off a bit :)

I had some youngun in non club gear neck and neck, bounding like an enthuiastic labrador next to me. Ideal to keep a decent rhythm I thought.

I'd done this race in 43:07 4 years ago, a year I'd done a 35:49 10k.
    I was wondering how things would pan out as I did a 36:53 recently, albeit a bit of a long course.
    I had vague ideas I'd taken it "steady" for the first half then machine gunned the second half, but as the race progressed, I realised I'd actually just raced it spot on that day.

First mile comes up at 6.10. Decided to let the watch take the splits today, and it's pretty close to the actual marker.

That's in and around the average I'd need to better that 43:07, so all was well so far, as there'd been a bit of the hill.

Left towards Marlow bottom, and it's a slighter incline here.

Decided it was a good place for a bit of chat to the youngun with me.
    "Splits off soon" I say, thinking will he even know what I'm on about.

"The fun starts soon" I tell him :D 

Down a valley, having some right giggles storming down it, then the stinger, a left hand turn into a monster hill. The 1st of 3 "big dippers" as they call them.

3 steep arse hills over 2 miles, with the downhill too.  Zero flat running in between, which is quite unusual in races!

The down is 80 feet, but the climb on the 1st one is 130 feet. Over about 0.35miles or so.

They say it's the steepest climb in their spiel, but I'm not sure on that as the 3rd of the 3 definitely feels more so, but maybe that's the cumulative effect!!

I've managed to shake the younger guy, which is perfect.I can run my own race now. You don't want to be battling someone on these hills!

Down over 100 feet over the next however far then, and then another 90feet back up.

You then reach Bockmer End, and turn the corner back towards Marlow, and you all know you have one killer hill left.

It's just after the 10mile marker on the half course, and I used to marshal not far before it, whilst never really knowing it that well.

Amused by a few kids and their mums screaming "KEEP RUNNING".  "I'll try" I shout back, and as per the last mile, I can see a chap or 2 about 50meters ahead, but that feels a million miles ahead. I'm more concerned about what might be happening behind to be honest.

Every time you go past a marshal and hear clapping you're trying to calculate it!

Splits have gone 6.10, 6.21,6.31 but that's probably bang on with the makeup of this course, and everyone knows the last 2.5miles are a rampage home.

150 feet down then, and 150 feet straight back up, only over about 0.2miles.
    That grassy bank I do every midweek suddenly feels brilliant training, as that's similar to both, but on harder footing! It's almost like doing stuff in training helps your races!!

Scrape to the top then, left hand turn, and then it's just a case of how long before the big down starts.

4th mile is up at 6.15, and this bit is a nice flat half mile that seems to go on forever.
    I realise that if I can get to the down, no-one will get near me going down, and then it's just a case of whether the guys close, but just out of tough in front can be caught.

Down the hill then and it's not the old hill from the old route, it's sort of a mix and match of down it a bit, then out another way to come down another hill..

5th mile is up at 6.31 and I start doing some maths of whether I can get near that 43:07.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I vaguely remember averaging about 5.30ish for the last 2miles in 2017 but I'm looking at my watch and tracking at 5.50. 
    Forget it and see what happens I think.

Again, as per 2017 I'm slightly surprised to see people running up the original hill, 30mins into the race! A lot are dressed like nuns, which seems to be some odd tradition, but a few are just older runners, who are generous with their praise of us guys storming down the hill, despite feeling it themselves. I try a few "ta's" back.

I'm so close to the guy in front, but the problem is we're storming it already, so to add an even bigger pace burst is really asking a lot.

Someone has told me I'm 4th which is brilliant, and means that it doesn't matter what age the 3 in front are, as I'll cream off a V40 as long as I don't get beaten by anyone older behind!

Get to 6miles I think, and no-one is having you over the last mile.

6th mile comes out 5.45, so I'll need a little quicker than that to see things out.

I love the last mile, have run it so many times, and once you're over the busy Henley road that they have to do a very careful traffic management job on (!) - I still check both ways very carefully to say the least - then it's half mile to home.

Guy in front achingly close, guy just ahead of him in sight.

Realise seeing it in 4th is still a really good result, and the 7th mile split comes up at 5.23
    I might have warped it a bit by manually taking one split a mile or so back, but the "bits and pieces" are another 9secs, over the line for...

wait for it...

43:06 on the watch, and a long wait to see...

43:05 on the official.

YES!

Pb on that most important of distances, the 7miler, a distance I've battled through a whole...one previous race at :D:D

Hey I'll take a 2021 pb at 40 :)

3rd was a mere 4seconds ahead, same margin to the place ahead as in 2017 when I came 6th.
    Just 10seconds to 2nd too.
    1st a decent 2mins ahead, wearing what could only be described as some sort of fishnet seethrough tights, with a miniscule bit of black material keeping things PG!

It looks mad to be 4secs behind and not have a big attempt to get ahead late doors, but sometimes you've simply used up what you had earlier and have already been booting it the last 2 miles.

640 feet of climbing or so, which is certainly plenty over 7miles.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Loads of post race revelling - honestly the best bit about racing.

Loads of chat with Mee Meep, and numerous old Marlow pals.
    Decent number of Dashers dotting around too, and the Dominator is in and around too.

Few little pics from Mee Meep of me finishing, and a decent little prize presentation on the balcony upstairs in the club house.

• Cracking stuff SG - both race and report! Impressive time too with over 600ft of climbing packed into the 7 miles!!!

Glad all your classic 7's are on this course though so I can still hold out on you with my Penn 7 pb of 42:31 :smiley:  probably half the hills of Marlow , but I did get a magnificently shite v40 novelty trophy for my efforts :smiley:  
  • Good effort with all your racing last few days, SC. 

4.5 an odd racing distance SG, but surely anything goes for a random recovery run? Good turnaround speed on your report, but can’t believe I get tarnished with the monster brush 😆 (rapidly deletes about four paragraphs from below…). That is a punchy looking elevation profile. And I like your forward lean in the picture. The idea of steady first half actually being perfect is probably about right, and certainly a zone I am familiar with. Great work on the course PB and place! 

PMJ that was a very moving report on your friend. Sounds a great guy.  

Great to see a turnout, Bus. The parkrun and the date 😉. Gruffalo trail, albeit Forest of Dean, is my kind of world at the moment 😆. 

Broadway Trail Marathon report:

Back in January, I entered this on the assumption London would probably be cancelled. Having promptly forgotten, I panic-trained a few hills in the last three weeks. 

I last ran this race, put in by the brilliant Cotswold Running, back in 2014. It was a ‘get yourself fit’ marathon in advance of a spring 2015 first sub-3. 

It is well organised, and blessedly light on the logistics. 0815 suited be perfectly for a start time. Broadway itself is essentially the Chelsea of the Cotswolds. Ridiculously wealthy and stunning buildings everywhere. Broadway FC, the race HQ, less so. I’m afraid I lack the football knowledge to make a suitable comparison. Made even more Dr Marten’s league (this reference could easily be twenty years out of date for all I know) by the roof caving in last week 😆. 

A very punchy first 1.5M with 900ft of climbing to Broadway Tower. Tussled with third/fourth whilst deliberately trying not to over exert myself. Third at the top with top two zooming off. 

Short descent before then the second major climb to Snowshill. Another stunning Cotswold village - and the route was really doing it for me. Genuinely beautiful whether on road through a village or, far more often, on trail with autumn colours, views from the escapement and complete solitude. 

Reached half way at Sudeley Castle in Winchcome (scene of an SG victory back in the day) before the third and final major climb. This was road, but on some kind of private estate. Absolutely incredible views, but leg/sapping with another 850ft to the heavens. 

I love a road sub 3, but trail running in good conditions really is the dogs proverbials. This was so much fun, albeit rapidly draining.

The race description then had it as along the escarpment, a descent and then ‘gently undulating’ to the finish. Well F me if that was gently undulating 😆. Post race I learnt the term ‘ridge and farrow’ / absolutely evil for a running race! Will do nothing for Strava elevation but ridiculously hard to get into a rhythm. 

The course was in great condition to be fair, at least until the final two miles through some woods. A relatively flat 10:30 mile was testament to some very sticky mud and at least ten gates. 

By mile 21 or so we had rejoined the half marathoners which started an hour after us. This was good in terms of the stress of staying on course (although the route marking was incredible, in spite of me having a brief mare around a field before getting back on it), but had to deploy a friendly yet booming hello to ensure I got to various styles first. 

Running on fumes by mile 23, knowing it would be near 27M total. Absolutely delighted to see the family at the end - and quite unexpectedly. So 26.7M, 3000ft and 8:30 average pace. 

Delighted to take third and receive a lovely engraved brandy glass. A sociable pot of early grey in the sun then made for a pretty much perfect morning 😃 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    There's another of these "choose what you want on" cups coming my way too, like that Marlow 10k :D 

Penn 7 would have been in deep summer though, so that will have been a strong effort.
    Weather today was probably ideal. Only faintest bit of wind on the first up, but pretty ideal all round bearing in mind some of the previous years here!

Have a few potentials coming up.

There's a couple of Battersea Park options. Sri Chim is the proper one, will be a good depth, but it's a 8.30 Saturday job. That's a stretch even for my levels of keeness.

The Runthrough one looks to be 9am on Run Britain too which isn't much better Although their site vaguely lists their races as being 9.30-11. Probably a lotto and they confirm once you're committed. Not 100% sure that they're not staggered either.

But yeah, 8.30/9am central London on a Saturday is a bit much.
  • Congratulations Bus, SG & SQ. Enjoyable reports chaps & excellent performances. Does your date run Bus?
    Aberbeeg ParkRun for me yesterday. It’s an out & back on an old railway track that’s been converted to a tarmac cycle path. There’s c.150’ of climb on the way out but if you pace that right the descent’s a delight. I like the course & logistics: big Tesco at the top for parking & toilet then an easy 1.7M wu which I extended to 2.7 with some strides. I last did this 5 weeks ago in 19:54. Happy to bring that down to 19:40 in spite of a slight headwind on the descent. A good tussle with 4-5 guys which helped maintain focus. 4th overall again. Jog back to the car then dropped it off North of Abergavenny ready for today’s adventure: 36 miles of the Offa’s Dyke from Sedbury. Well over five & a half thousand feet of climb, some lovely views & great company.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's 600+ feet over 7miles SQ, and then there's 900 feet just over 1.5mile in your race!?
    That is insane stuff, and sounds absolute hell to me :D 

The race I always compare any elevation to is that Murder Mile, and that was 680 feet over a mile. So 900 in 1.5miles really isn't that far off and doesn't have the relief of finishing after 10mins!

10mins on the flat must be some extremely tough going too. Heck.

Rest up well is all I can say!
  • cracking casual long day out Jools after a very solid parkrun!

SQ - very well done on a high end finish in what sounds like a pretty tough day out!!! Good work ! How dare you enjoy it as well 😂

Jools, my date ran London this year as a first marathon, but running isn’t her passion. She is a very keen kayaker though, and has even done the Devizes to Westminster race a couple of times, which I am slightly in awe of!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    What sort of food do you pack for a day like that Jools?
    As 36miles and stopping for views etc must make it a long day!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    We were out for just over 8hrs SG, moving time was 7 but a helluva lot of gates & stiles.
    I had packed a choc-chip cookie, 2 small Mars bars, 2 Tru bars (Aldi's version of Nakd bars) & 2x500ml of water. We stopped at Lidl in Monmouth (about half way) where I got a Goat's cheese'n'pesto Focaccia & 750ml of Ruby Racer: Raspberry, Sour Cherry, Goji, Passion Fruit, Guarana & vitamins which went down a treat.
    Sounds promising Bus. Internet match-making?
  • I'm a pedant so I'll have to pull SG up on his definitions. The results show Jon Regan (v45) home in first place so I make it that SG is second vet home but wins the MV40 prize via the old "only one prize per person" rule. 

Totally agree he won the vets prize but not the first vet home.

Handy runner the winner, 73:21 for a half as a 43 year old.
  • Yeah, but as V45, it’s a different category anyway, so SG gets the V40 regardless 😎
  • The Bus said:
    Yeah, but as V45, it’s a different category anyway, so SG gets the V40 regardless 😎
    Ah, vet creep. Used to be v40, v50 and v60 for men and v30, v40 and v50 for women. Now we have 5-year categories from 30 years upwards for I don't know how many different genders. 

Having said that, the prizes at Marlow say:

Prizes also to the 1st male and female in each veteran category: Vets 40, 50, 60 and 70.

So I was right  :p
  • I saw SQ's pictures from the Broadway Marathon on Strava and as well as an insane pace up those hills the scenery is something to behold! 

I love running in the countryside with the changing seasons and each brings its own pleasures but I do think that an autumn day with crisp leaves underfoot takes some beating. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I'd probably just go with a sunny winters day following fresh snowfall; early and remote enough so that yours are the first footprints to spoil the virginal snow. That's a short lived pleasure though, next day you're running though slush and wishing it had never snowed in the first place.

Good race and report SG, I assume it is still good, despite SQ making your elevation look measly and Phil pretty much destroying your pot hunt credentials  :D 

Epic run Jools and Marathon SQ. 

I was forced to do my run last night at 9:30pm. I was half asleep for most of it but woke up near the end when I put some music on and started enjoying the quiet streets so I ended up carrying on for an hour having only gone out for 40 minutes.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Yep, Reg, I am still pleased with Sunday, despite Phil's bizarre attempts to sneer at it, with an even more bizarre getting upset over a definition I'd not even used in the report  :s 

Still unsurprisingly tight legged today, so was happy to pootle a few laps of the park out for 5.5miles.

• Stevie G said:
    Yep, Reg, I am still pleased with Sunday, despite Phil's bizarre attempts to sneer at it, with an even more bizarre getting upset over a definition I'd not even used in the report  :s 

Pedantry is not the same as sneering. 

Reg, I agree that a fresh fall of snow under blue skies does make for good memories but it is a rare occurrence. I think I have done so less than a handful of times in 40 years of running. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    PMJ, no doubt you were just being pedantic but it did come across as a bit of a put down on SG, which I presume wasn't the intention. Of course you were right that SG was 'only' 2nd v40 finisher, but that is still a very decent performance and he never claimed to be first v40 home. The fact the winner was a v40 for me just highlights a) how good he is and b) 1st v40 is often as hard (or almost as hard) as winning the entire race, as that Cat is so often really strong. 

Big congrats to SQ on some great recent runs and Jools on a staggeringly long and hilly LSR even by your insane standards ;) . Reg, you seem to be in good shape too and the Wokey HM very much on track. And Bus, wow, sounds like a big turnaround in your running and life in general; really pleased for you.

Not much to report from me. As some of you know, I had Covid in Oct and, though lucky to not be too badly impacted, (thankfully double vacced) it has hit my energy levels and running ability. Trying to comeback gradually with just parkruns as my only big effort runs, but still over 20 mins each week even on the flattest courses.
  • PeteM said:
    PMJ, no doubt you were just being pedantic but it did come across as a bit of a put down on SG, which I presume wasn't the intention. Of course you were right that SG was 'only' 2nd v40 finisher, but that is still a very decent performance and he never claimed to be first v40 home. The fact the winner was a v40 for me just highlights a) how good he is and b) 1st v40 is often as hard (or almost as hard) as winning the entire race, as that Cat is so often really strong. 

Big congrats to SQ on some great recent runs and Jools on a staggeringly long and hilly LSR even by your insane standards ;) . Reg, you seem to be in good shape too and the Wokey HM very much on track. And Bus, wow, sounds like a big turnaround in your running and life in general; really pleased for you.

Not much to report from me. As some of you know, I had Covid in Oct and, though lucky to not be too badly impacted, (thankfully double vacced) it has hit my energy levels and running ability. Trying to comeback gradually with just parkruns as my only big effort runs, but still over 20 mins each week even on the flattest courses.
    Pete

Indeed there was no intention to put SG down. Reading back in detail I agree with SG that he did not mention it in his report so I was either getting mixed up with the numerous social media feeds or I totally imagined it. I offer my profound apologies if anyone is upset. 

V40 is a hard category because according to the WAVA tables, a 40 year old is not much off the open standard. Say you run a 56 minute 10 mile at the age of 31, that scores you 78.6% WAV grading and the equivalent time for a 40 year old is 57:46 and at 50 it is 1:02:4. The big handicaps don't cut in in the 40s. 

It is a mark of your usual speed that 20 minutes is chalked off as a comeback and not a success. 

I saw an osteopath yesterday and he moved all my limbs and said I'm old, fat and my hamstrings are way too tight but nothing much else wrong with me. I weighed myself today and I'm 165 pounds: I used to try and race as close to 140 as possible so would hover around 145 and would allow a bit of "winter weight" to keep me warm so drifted towards 150 but that means I'm about 15 pounds over. Fingers crossed it will go when the mels come back as  I hate dieting.