Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Apology accepted Phil, but you have to look at your need to add "clever" analysis to situations and think it through fully on a human level.

Why would you pop on after a race report, where someone's happy with how it went, not offer even the slightest of "well done" type sentiments, but instead think you need to try and lessen their achievement? Especially someone like me who tries to give an exceptionally honest take on things, down to even not wanting to over quote splits on track reps :)

It'd be like someone posting a report, and us saying, well...there were x, y and z races on, and A, B and C runners weren't there etc etc.

But anyway, I think you need to get back into racing yourself. So much more joy in that then lonesome plodding, and that may be the easiest way to get the weight etc in order, and enjoy it all a little bit more. 
    And maybe pick up a few vet prizes, even if they aren't technically the first "home" ;)
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Apology accepted Phil, but you have to look at your need to add "clever" analysis to situations and think it through fully on a human level.

Why would you pop on after a race report, where someone's happy with how it went, not offer even the slightest of "well done" type sentiments, but instead think you need to try and lessen their achievement? Especially someone like me who tries to give an exceptionally honest take on things, down to even not wanting to over quote splits on track reps :)

It'd be like someone posting a report, and us saying, well...there were x, y and z races on, and A, B and C runners weren't there etc etc.

But anyway, I think you need to get back into racing yourself. So much more joy in that then lonesome plodding, and that may be the easiest way to get the weight etc in order, and enjoy it all a little bit more. 
    And maybe pick up a few vet prizes, even if they aren't technically the first "home" ;)
    I think it's you who owes Phil an apology after that.

🙂

• Stevie G said:
    I doubt I will ever get back to regular racing. I'm 56 and if I can be running when I'm 80 I'd be happy but I'd settle for late 70s. That's the aim and racing does not seem to sit well with such a plan. When I was younger I could push my body hard and it would recover quickly, both in terms of recovery from a session and recovery after an injury. Now that recovery takes longer, so a hard session can spoil half a week and niggles rapidly become injuries. 

Races consume a lot of resources but also offer rewards, so you can drive for several hours and spend several more waiting before and afterwards but you get the glory of a win, a medal, a PB etc. I can knock off a Sunday run and be back by just past 9 am and have the rest of the day for other things. 

I suspect I may slip into the dark world of trail running simply because it is a handy way to get a hot drink at regular points en-route.

None of the above will mean that if I get back to Pete's 20 minute pace for a parkrun and I come home first in category I won't claim a win. 
  • I feel I should add that my comment about Phil destroying SG's credentials was very tongue in cheek as personally I didn't see it as anything much more than Phil being Phil. At least Ric is here to mediate just in time though  :D:D 

Good to hear from you Pete and glad you're on the mend.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Luckily, myself and Phil are good pals, long term stuff, so we know each means well.

And I miss Phil from the local scene racing wise too, the Wokingham car ride with Bus isn't the same for one. 
    But it's good Phil's still a regular on the board either way, and we can have a chuckle at the storm in a  tea cup above now :)

On we go!

5.5 & 4 today, slow and achey, but that's ok after Marlow.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Took so long composing that, I hadn't seen 2 posts sneak in :D  

Trail running as in still racing, Phil? Or even some of the ultra stuff? For some reason I listen to a lot of "Bad Boy Running" podcasts, and they have all manner of wacky ultra trail runners on. 
    I could sort of see doing one of those Race to the Stones type events, 60miles over 2 days with a large up in the middle, as they seem like a right old social.

That sort of event? Or more just your own Sunday hoons?
  • Stevie G said:
    Took so long composing that, I hadn't seen 2 posts sneak in :D  

Trail running as in still racing, Phil? Or even some of the ultra stuff? For some reason I listen to a lot of "Bad Boy Running" podcasts, and they have all manner of wacky ultra trail runners on. 
    I could sort of see doing one of those Race to the Stones type events, 60miles over 2 days with a large up in the middle, as they seem like a right old social.

That sort of event? Or more just your own Sunday hoons?
    I have a soft spot for LDWA events. Before you were born I was a walker/hiker/climber and got trouble with blisters and so I decided to run to harden up my feet and that led to 40 years of running. You get a lot of events that charge less than £20 ad that includes drinks and snacks. Looks a lot more reasonable to me than ~ £200 the big ultras charge even before you need a night under canvas. Nothing too long nor too hard, just a social way to spend a day out in the countryside. 
  • Agree PMJ. I’ve done the Malvern Midsummer Marathon 3x. It was still under a tenner last time I did it in 2015 which included amazing cakes & tea/coffee en route, lunch at halfway & a baked spud + more tea/coffee at the finish.
  • Track with the kids at lunch: 12x200m on/off. Legs hurting from the weekend but got them turning over ok after the 1st couple of looseners.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Fair dos Phil, anything that keeps you enjoying outdoor turnouts has to be a good thing.

Not sure I enjoyed my outdoor turnout today though!
    Rainy, and a bit of a slog on my 8mile route with climb midway. Threw some woods in late doors, and glad that's it for today to be honest.

Decent Jools, 200s are always nice to rampage.
  • Stevie G said:

Not sure I enjoyed my outdoor turnout today though!
    Rainy, and a bit of a slog on my 8mile route with climb midway. Threw some woods in late doors, and glad that's it for today to be honest.

I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone but I ran out along the Thames from Little Marlow to Cookham for the first time since July 16th and after the best part of 4 months off any outdoor run, even with rain and mud, is enjoyable. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's a huge lay off! But sounds a positive outcome.
  • Enjoyed the jibber-jabber of the last few comments 😊! Agreed that the V40 category is essentially as competitive as the open in local race (not that I’m there quite yet 😉).  

You really are a machine to get back out the day after that beast, Jools. The scenery looked, as expected, beautiful.  Agreed 100% that lunge and swing matrix helps a hell of a lot. And as for 200s! Might have a look at the Malvern Midsummer.

PMJ that is such a long lay off. Pleased you can get back into now.

Don’t think I’ve ever begun a run after about 7pm, Reg. Impressive squeezing in. I remember reading about some committed ‘streakers’ – some of whom would run one mile just before midnight and then follow with one at midnight – so two days for one run. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Thank you for the nice comments post-race. It was a great one, and certainly a very different experience from a road marathon gunning for a time. PMJ – it would be a cracker for you to get back into racing.

Tired, but not too sore. Tried a little run yesterday and felt ok. Will jog down to coaching this afternoon. But week as a whole will be very light as won’t fit in anything over the weekend.

Think that will be my racing credits for the year used up. Fairly well spent, I think!

• Ooh like a bit of controversy ;) Like SG said, couple of old dears having a bit of a light hearted bicker! Agreed, V40 is competitive...once again making a mockery of that ridiculous decision to have a V35 category.

Good race SG, must be the most pleasing for a while? Likewise SQ....lovely scenic laid back marathon. The usual impromtu 36 miler from Jools LOL. Bus - drag the date up to the DD's parkrun Saturday week! We'll be there!

So. Mansfield xc relays was ok - 2 laps, 5k in 18.00. Solid enough on that course. 15.5 Sunday, 10 miles Monday and 10 x 800 off 80 on the grass yesterday, averaged about 2.44's, felt a little tired tbh.

Commuting miles today and then quiet as have the Chiltern League on Saturday, as can't do Surrey League.
  • Solid stuff SC.

I did an easy 8 yesterday and then a Zwift Team Time trial in the evening. 

Lunch today was an hour on Zwift all in the TT position, one of the built in Ironman workouts. Followed that with a 20 minute brick run off the bike averaging 6:10 pace and I really wasn't much beyond easy to be honest, kind of easy end of Tempo I suppose. I must be due an injury to ruin this progress!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - probably the best on paper out of the 4 recent turnouts for sure.
    Helps a lot sometimes knowing something is a real hilly mix and thus splits aren't that important, but average time is.
    And 6.08 or so for 7 miles with an average of 90 feet climb a mile hopefully means the 5.56 10k at Silverstone has some sway.
    Although that's based off a 6.31mile course, so hopefully the same performance a bit nearer to the actual 6.21mile would be quicker any way.

Will bang a couple of race entries in tonight.
  • Hell of a few days there, SC. A mini taper before the next XC will sort you out.

You really are making progress, Reg. 6:10 easy brick is giving it some. 

SG - you will be much quicker than 5:56 pace next 10k.

3M jog the long way to rugby coaching and then 3M back 75 mins later. Probably not an ideal gap, but squeezing in the easy runs seems to be helping the legs. 
  • Hmmm, if you think V40 is competitive wait until you get to V50 😂😂😂
  • Reg - splashed out £80 on a static bike myself ;) reduced from £120 and has 4.5/5 reviews. Just for the odd occasion I can't run, but mainly for times watching TV rather than sat on my arse. Might be useful. Perhaps a pint holder would be good..

SQ - Hopefully the rest will be ok- although I can't score so it doesn't matter if I cock it up.

SG - Yes get them in. Although I only have the LFOTM to do so far.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:
    Ooh like a bit of controversy ;) Like SG said, couple of old dears having a bit of a light hearted bicker! Agreed, V40 is competitive...once again making a mockery of that ridiculous decision to have a V35 category.

Good race SG, must be the most pleasing for a while? Likewise SQ....lovely scenic laid back marathon. The usual impromtu 36 miler from Jools LOL. Bus - drag the date up to the DD's parkrun Saturday week! We'll be there!

So. Mansfield xc relays was ok - 2 laps, 5k in 18.00. Solid enough on that course. 15.5 Sunday, 10 miles Monday and 10 x 800 off 80 on the grass yesterday, averaged about 2.44's, felt a little tired tbh.

Commuting miles today and then quiet as have the Chiltern League on Saturday, as can't do Surrey League.
    Don't be knocking the V35s 😉
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    8x0.5miler for me today then, off 90secs.

Miserable overcast, bit rainy day, you certainly have to want it to be knocking out reps across parks and pavements on a Friday morn don't you!
    Slight incentive of knowing I had to be a on a 9am zoom call too!

Each rep being a slightly different mix of grass / pavement / slight up /slight down etc, means the reps are all a mixed bag.

2.51, 2.53, 2.54 the fast end
    One a bit of an outlier on the 7th rep, with half on grass and a bit of wind for 3.02
    And the rest 3x2.57 and 1x2.59

So probs 2.56 average, for 5.52 pace.

Not thrashing it, but a good lick for each rep. Decent work out for sure.
  • Half a mile reps seems weird to me for some reason, I'd definitely be doing 800m reps. I think it's probably a track background thing, I mean I only did track at school but I'd still want to be able to relate it to those times.

Anyway, good work getting that done early. Not as early as me though, I'd finished a 12 miler by 7:15am  :D I woke up at 4:30 having gone to bed early so just thought I may as well do something constructive. Calf has been a bit tight so kept it nice and easy. In fact at one point I was so deep in thought that when I came out of my daydream I realised that I had forgotten I was running!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    800m on the track certainly makes sense, but no reason at all to do 800m on the road.

The awks was always doing 6mile tempos on the track, so you'd do your 24 laps and then piss about with the extra! Although I think in latter times I left it at the more simple calculation of ending on a 200 or 400 for the maths.

Certainly different levels of "committed" aren't there.

At the moment I'm finding a 6am wake up, eat/drink, and out the door to do sessions locally at 7.30 works really well, versus the old style of having to get out at about 6.50 in the car to the track, inevitable pre-sesh pit stop etc.
    When things move back down to 5ks in May or so I'd need the quickness of the track I think, but for this sort of sesh or the tempos it's decent enough from the door.

Yours is astoundingly early, but I know you're not necessarily an every day guy, and especially not every day early.
    At our club there's a guy who often seems to be running at 4 and 5am, every day and often ludicrous distances, ending with 80 or so mile weeks. He does ultras on top of other more "normal" distances though.

But we do have the odd purely ultra runners who will just suddenly put a 73mile race in from nowhere :o 
  • I certainly don't run every morning but I do something every morning, normally yoga or pilates stuff from Youtube. I find if I don't do that early I don't do it at all. Whilst it's not making me injury proof it seems to be making me more resilient to injury.
  • Last two Fridays I have managed 5 miles on just my coffee and fizzy VitC drink. Think thats the furthest I have done on empty!

Thought @ML84 would be itching to tell us about his shiny 5K PB. Mind you at V35 you're still getting better ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'm certain you're doing it better than I did Reg.
    My one dip into Pilates, idiotically doing 2 full sets from a base of nothing, pretty much locked my hamstrings for 6months meaning I could do my standard mileage, but races were out of the question.
    Long time ago now, but I've learnt my lesson!!

SC, don't forget to factor in location "advantages" too. Matt posts so many crimes going on in the Burnley area, I'm not surprised he's developed pure pace to stay safe ;)
  • My mate from LBAC has gone back up for a year as he has a contract with the charity arm of Burnley FC. He's running really well too!

Oh and my bike has arrived ;)
  • £80 is cheap for a bike but expensive for a clothes horse  :)
  • .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    And a few more years pass....      :D
    Hope everyone is well! New Age categories for most whilst I've been gone  :open_mouth:
    Nice to see StevieG, Bus and Phil still running. I'm not sure where I'm heading with running aspirations but after cycling for 6 or more years hopefully I'm back running for the foreseeable. 12 weeks into a return now  :) looking forward to a trail marathon in 3 weeks and some XC