P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Had a day off work today, so went out for a longish run, did my recent total of 16m and added a bonus mile for 17m in total seeing as the rain had stopped by the end of the 16, copped an absolute weather beating in the wind and rain.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Nice one TR, good way to spend a day off.

Final proper run before the Gran Canaria marathon a week Sunday. 11m inc 10K @ 39.50 which felt pacy enough but some left in the tank.  Drank my last beer until Saturday night when after collecting our running numbers I have eyes on a number of beachside bars in Maspalomas for a few cold ones though am also thinking of requesting the race organisers if they could drop our numbers off at the hotel, as from the time the plane lands we have just over an hour to collect these before the Expo closes and expecting arrival admin hassles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - until Saturday or sunday ?

Legs felt ok running today after ydays 17m,  so backed it up with 18m this morning, legs felt ok too, so thats a good sign with back to back longish runs. Turbo tomorrow though.
  • Good stuff, folks. Not even thought about marathon training yet. I am in Manchester at the moment so opted for the new Peel parkrun, which is bordered by the River Irwell. A lovely two lap course, though it did cross a field at one point and that part was rather muddy. Still, I managed my fastest time this year, at 26:47...still well down on where I was but after all the injuries I'm happy to be moving in the right direction.
    Alton half tomorrow...the park has closed to the public but will be open for us racers and family/friends, so yes, I'll be on the rides. That's the while point! :lol:
  • MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    OO: sounds like a good training effort!

Cal: always good to find a new park run.

30 miles this week, which is quite a lot for me. 14 mile trail run today with 1200ft, in beautiful autumnal weather. Happy with 8:28 miling at a very steady effort.

• Sounds lovely, Myox.

Alton Towers went better than expected and, all in all, it was a top day. I ran 2:04:23 official - actually very OK with that given I only crawled off the injury bench two weeks ago and wasn't sure I'd even make it. Took it a bit easier, enjoyed the atmosphere, chatted to the people I ended up running with, high fived the kids, thanked the marshals and interacted with the entertainers. Wasn't too tired after to enjoy the park for the rest of the day, and got lots of riding done (the park was only open to runners, their friends and families and the volunteers, so pretty much everything was a walk on). Win.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    After Saturday's aborted run, which meant four rest days, I went out this morning with the 'above the neck what the heck attitude'. Managed a good seven miles at a pace I am more than happy with.

Not going to try and put the runs back in, moving forward with the plan. What does everyone else do? 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for you cal, good to see you on the up.

TT - dont chase lost runs, esp if you've felt poorly.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    London GFA window is open
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR good to have it confirmed I am doing the right thing.

Warm up (which was spin class!), then a prog run, MP, HMP, 10km pace then 5 mins at 5km pace! Tough but doable. Approx 7 miles in total.

GFA is an aim, a distant aim but I think it might be the only way I manage to run London, assuming I ever want to run another one after Manchester..........
  • I'm the same, TT...I don't have the contacts for charity and the ballot is so oversubscribed. I'm hoping I can get back to my previous form by Manchester...though I realise I'll have to start my training plan in a week or two.

4 recovery today - nice morning.
  •  

TR – decent 17m/18m back to back – could be ultra training ! Conditions at Wendover were near perfect the other week, SL wasn’t there this time, different class and a bit of a legend amongst the WW crowd.

Cal – good to hear the ½ went well and loads of walk on rides afterwards.  It’s the queuing for rides that bores me.

OO – I read that as a last beer before bib collection ! Good luck either way.

TT – so far out a few missed sessions wont make a difference.

Myox – sounds like a good trail run.

Not much to report here, one more week of tickover then it’s 18 weeks to M-day,

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good session that TT

Macca - it might toughen my legs up a bit. What marathon did you decide upon?

Turbo Sunday, 6m yday, 5m and 7m today. Plan on 3min reps tomorrow and then a few easy days before Sundays 1/2.
  • Impressive solo 10k, OO. You just be excited now. How long are you there for?

Blimey, TR. don’t reckon I’ve ever gone 17, 18 on consecutive days. 

Good return to parkrun pace, Cal. And you must have had the perfect day on Sunday with that performance and no queues. Sounds ideal 😊

Good speed for a trail run that hilly, Myox. 

Had a pretty quiet last week on the running front, sensible post trail race. Suffered a bit with stress and feeling overwhelmed, I suspect partly entwined with eating too much crap and sleeping poorly. Nonetheless, finished off with q pleasant 12.5M buggy run at 8:20 pace on Sunday. Perfect conditions. 

Not yet on a place to think about huge targets for next year, so might have a dig at the PBs that are still vaguely achievable. First up will be 10M at the end of Jan. 

Will loosely follow the 15k/10M Pfitzinger Faster Road Racing plan, with mileage from the middle plan and sessions from the one above. Will have to sack off a week of it somewhere along the line. 

Lots of tempo in the first two thirds then VO2 towards the end. Today’s was 16 mins tempo, 4 jog, 12 tempo. Headed to the trusty racecourse for the pancake flat loop. 

6:25s for the tempo. A way off from the required PB pace, but a solid start. Enjoyed the ground feel of wearing the Adios for a first time in quite a while. Struggled a little to really push myself, but that is fairly standard for me in sessions. 10M at 7:14 pace all in. 

• TR - Bedford Autodrome at the end of March. Date and logistics work well but atm I can’t get excited about running loops of an airfield/race track so haven’t entered yet.

SQ - sorry you had a tough week.  With you on feeling way off pace.  I’ve a local 10mile race mid Jan.  I’ve never raced one so it would be a bad day if I don’t PB.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    SQ - Sorry to hear about the blues. Good sleep is essential.  Still a decent come back running week.

Cal - That sounds a good day, well done.

The beer question:  Ideal is a cold beer basking in the post-marathon warm glow, chances are will give into temptation on Saturday evening. 

Getting excited now and already packed my bag and kit.  Some further details from the marathon,  its a 2 lapper and the organisers have packed a course into a fairly tight urban area in Maspalomas so plenty of cutbacks, no gels but figs and dates - mm.  A finish on the beach which will be a first.  I know the area from family holidays so know the area is pretty flat and pretty overall.  Good news is the race hosts the Spanish masters marathon championships so should have some running company. Also as we arrive late on Saturday we are able to pick up our numbers pre-race on Sunday which is good.  The bad news is my brother can no longer make it  which is a real bugger as don't see him often, certainly not for 4 days in the sun.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    OO that sounds like a very organised race with the numbers. I finished a 10km race in France on the beach, we all promptly ran into the sea, fabulous cool down.

Macca I am with you, I did 10 miles round Elvington airfield in October 2020, not done it since. I was almost naming the cracks in the concrete.

SQ sorry to read your feeling overwhelmed, I can only empathize. 

TR I am looking forward to the 17/18 mile runs, but in separate weeks. 

Out this morning, very cold, WU and WD with five miles at an average MP for just over 8 miles. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    TT - Sounds brilliant.  That is exactly my plan, run through through the finish and then straight into the sea - could even be a birthday suit swim as this part of the beach at Maspalomas is generally nudist  !!  What a sight that will be, loads of skinny tired runners.  :#
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - great idea, thats a good target for the next few months.

Macca - sounds like Goodwood then, the cant get excited yet also works well for me on marathon day now as i start getting interested after 10m and save loads of mental and physical energy. Worked well at vlm too.

OO, TT - i thought of doing that at Brighton next April, but would cramp up entirely and drown no doubt!

Had a rubbish 3min session today, got a bit of a cold, was tired and achey. Starting to think my hammy/bum cake thing might be a bit pf like as i got the nerve type isdue where my leg tried to give way a couple of times. Av pace was poor. Its done, onwards.
  • Macca, I have to say multi-lap marathons don't appeal to me. My one attempt ended with a DNF and while hamstring wasn't too happy, I daresay I'd have toughed it out had it been a one lap or point to point race.

OuchOuch, have fun!

SQ, crap sleep will do that. Take care of yourself.

TR, I'd get a diagnosis if I were you. Mine is proximal (high) hamstring tendinopathy but my piriformis is pretty grumpy too. Not much to be done but strength work and the usual massage and rolling malarkey.

Ran 7 miles yesterday and  5 today. That's the first time I've done three days in a row since before the injury. Feel mostly OK although a little sore (part of that was probably the pilates class I did yesterday, though).

I dug my P&D book out this morning and had a look at the 55 mile plan. The fact it starts with an 8 mile run (with 4 LT) followed by a 10 mile run is a bit daunting...I'm not up to midweek double figures yet. Not sure whether to give it a go or not. I'd have to start in a week or so (though I thought of giving myself an extra week to allow for Christmas and other stuff). I've generally done my marathons without a plan (though I have an idea of mileage) and go a lot by feel, so not sure at all, honestly.
  • MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    SQ: hope you feel better soon. The running seems really solid though! 

OO: dates sound much better than gels! Might nick that idea.

TR: horrible running when you’ve got a cold coming on, isn’t it? Very familiar with that feeling of wanting to be done with it after about a couple of mins. :smile:

Messy session today, tried out half mile reps at 5k pace. I felt a bit leggy and it was harder than I expected it to be!

Parkrun at the weekend and going to push - could well blow up spectacularly.

Incidentally, can any of you remember when you first built up mileage from a low base? I’ve been looking at marathon plans and 40 miles per week seems fairly daunting: I’ve never consistently managed 25! Any tips and tricks? I guess I need to introduce an extra midweek medium run, ideally.

• Myox - I think it is the obvious thing of trying to build to whichever level of mileage very gradually. A little extra each week - perhaps even if quality reduces in the meantime. Best of luck. 

OO and Myox - I use dried apricots of dates, covered in salt, as my back up during long runs when I don't really fancy gels. Cheap, relatively  healthy and seem to work well.

Cal - I was describing your Alton Towers experience to my 6 year old daughter in the car today. It really did sound brilliant. I see they do similar things at Disneyland etc. I guess pretty expensive though. The P&D plans do have numerous longer runs, but also more rest days than I expect so perhaps these balance a little. 

TT - 8M at MP is no mean feat at this stage, impressive stuff.

Good luck OO. Enjoy the nudist beach!

General recovery running since Tuesday's session. Hope to squeeze in 2 x 6 x 100m fast at some point today. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Myox: Agree with SQ.  Once you start long runs the mileage surprisingly creeps up.  I am also keen on running say 4m doubles easy. 

Thanks for the best wishes and might try the dates on the way around.

Travel admin now hopefully sorted with multiple phone based copies of QR codes/ booking references. The marathon is live on Canarian TV - makes a change from volcanoes on La Palma and for for those interested, its on https://rtvc.es/en-directo 

Tempted to run in the white sleeveless vest the race give you.  Just 4m with some bursts last night and todays MOT says weight fine, no major aches or pains. 

As it rained on in the school-run this morning, odd to think in less than 48 hours time I will be 1000's of miles away running a marathon along palm / cacti dotted roads in 25C.  The aim is 2.55 with a 1.26/1.29 split as in  previous runnings of the race it gets notably tougher on the 2nd lap.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good luck OO, sounds like a great race. On the beer question - I don't mind one the night before.

Myox - agree with the others. Don't try to jump straight into a plan that has more mileage than you're used to. Being consistent is more important than anything else. Keep consistent and your mileage will build up. How many days are you running per week.

Ran the local XC last weekend. Managed 10th (it's a very weak league) but I think I've gone soft in my old age. There was a sprint finish for 7-9th about 15sec in front of me, in which I probably should've been involved. I finished wondering why I didn't push more. Will try harder next time.

Otherwise training is ticking along, averaging about 50 miles per week the last 3 weeks, which is good for me.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Myox my physio, a runner, recommended adding some walk running at the beginning and end of runs when I was adding the mileage. It gives you a couple of extra miles with considerably less stress. I have found it very useful and I now use them as my WU and WD. I also moved from three runs to four then to five without increasing the mileage of each one too much.

OO that sounds really good. 

Cal I adapted a Hal Higdon plan, with a cross ref to P&D. I needed something which fitted into my life.

Out on a run to feel run. I really enjoyed it, followed it up with a S&C session then aqua jog! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Cal - good idea, next time i go in to fizz I'll ask. Could be the turbo thats causing it to be fair from the saddle.

Myox - build frequency, then distances and then any effort, is my advice. Dont jump up too much too quickly, consistent running is the aim.

SQ - did you get the 100s in ?

OO - go well sunday.

HA - good to see you're still at it. View the xc as training, bagged it move on.

5m yday, 5m inc a few strides today, so thats my mini taper started. Legs ache a bit from the s and c and stretches, but they are priority at the mo.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    TR are you on your own bike on the turbo? I ask because when I use the bikes at the gym I struggle to set it up the way mine is on the turbo in the garage.

Out for 11 miles plus WU and WD. Ran in the 30-60 seconds slower than MP range and it was really enjoyable. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - i leave my road bike set up on the turbo, i use my mtb for bike commutes. Good run that, thats the +10% range, they are my favourite long run sections. Hard enough to need a bit of concentration, but it hard enough to cause too much fatigue.

2m inc a few strides, looks like being a cold and windy morning at Gosport tomorrow, but it'll be a good rust buster.
  • MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Good advice all, thanks. 

Morecambe Parkrun for me this morning, but somehow contrived to park at the wrong end of the surprisingly long promenade, which left me (as it turned out) 9 mins to run 2 miles to the start. Needless to say I missed the start by around 5 mins but decided to run anyway.

Blustery day along the coast which helped me over the initial mile but made the final mile pretty awful. 

Finished in 17:54 (5:25, 5:42, 6:08, 5:28) though I was doing a fair amount of weaving through runners and the distance came out at 3.12 miles. Pretty happy with that, and can definitely go faster with better conditions and a bit more forward-planning.
  • Very nice, Myox.

OK so...I got a copy of the letter my cardiologist sent to my doc. All in jargon but it does indicate some issues (some valve regurgitation described as mild, a slightly enlarged left atrium and ectopic beats). Hence why I have to do the monitor thing in February. Obviously none of that stuff is life threatening but could explain my loss of performance over the last year or so...maybe. 
    So the issue I am now facing is that I have to decide whether to take up my Chicago place for next year, by 30th November. Financially I'm not awesome but I do have some savings for things like this. The worry is, I don't know how this heart issue will affect my marathoning and I won't know until after I've done Manchester in April. Part of me wants to say, sod it and YOLO, and the other wants to play it safe. I really don't know what to do. (I do also find foreign travel daunting unless it's something organised as part of a group trip). Ugh.

Anyway, did Reigate Priory parkrun today - it's a cross country-style one and I thought I'd better get it done before the mud set in as it's a mix of grass and trail. The grass bit was fine but the trail section through the woods was tricky - partly because it's like a rollercoaster and partly because there are a lot of tree roots that have been cunningly hidden by piles of leaves. I ended up taking it very cautiously so my time (30:10) was nothing to write home about. But never mind, it's another one ticked off.