Sub 3h15

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-It looks a flat out and back course,only issues I can see is it's along the front so wind could factor and only 18 ran sub 3,so not much company around.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Jools, I hope it goes better than when my wife drags me onto a household task with her. It's usually daggers drawn in minutes. 

Nice work on the 21, oo. 

Ian, Cyprus sounds interesting. What's the target? 

Tr, shame things weren't with you today. Hope nothing comes of the covid scare. 

Sbd, solid week. The temp has definitely dropped. The wind today around the airfield was bitter. 

Conditions weren't as good as I was expecting today, a pretty stiff headwind in places. Should have expected it around an airfield mind. First 1.5m I thought there was something wrong with me, I was absolutely blowing and struggling to match last weeks 10m pace. I thought perhaps I'd bitten off more than I could chew racing again. We turned around the course eventually and it was clear the gentle up hill into the wind was the issue. It led yo probably my first negative split 10k with 5.50, 5.48 , 5 48, 5.54, 5.44, 5.43 then 5.47 for last 400m. I recorded 18.08 and 18.06 splits over 5k. 

So just the 5m pb to bring into line now which I'm racing 3 weeks today. After that I guess pbs are going to get a bit harder to come by, unless I have a fitness jump. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Perfectly paced race there by the sounds of it.
    Not sure on the target yet,I'd like to be close to 3,but will see how the training goes first over the next 12 weeks,I have targets in my head about easy pace/heart rate,average miles etc that will show about what shape I'm in so will decide from there close to the time.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great time there DT, picking off PBs for fun this year. Well done.
    Cracking miles, OO. Enjoy the taper.
    A decent time despite not feeling 100%, TR. Nice one!

HR was still elevated from the flu/booster jab cocktail so all running was binned for the weekend. Plan was to put a decent week in, starting today. My eldest moved back into the house on Friday and brought a cold bug with him. My throat is raw today as I experience my first cold in over 2 years.

Hopefully it's just a head cold and I can get out tomorrow,
  • Incredible time DT, Congratulations! Whats the target for the 5m race?

SBD - 61m on a cutback week is impressive!

GD - Sorry to hear youve caught a bug, my partner has a bad cold and is suffering with it. Hopefully yours isnt too bad!

5m tempo on Friday which was a bit disappointing. Around 6.20 average pace but the HR was in the right place. Finished off with 13m yesterday for 40m and an hours swimming for the week. Feel like VLM may have taken a lot out of me as I dont really feel like I'm firing on all cylinders yet. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to top up with a couple of swims Stevie. Resting the legs today so just a 2k swim.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sounds sensible, gdawg. Booked my booster in for just before Xmas. 

Stevie, ultimately sub 30 though the 10k pace suggests sub 29 is a better target. I'm generally quite happy with 6.20 pace on my Friday tempos, particularly as they start to get to 8m upwards. I dont want to hammer myself in the midst of heavy training. 

Just spin yesterday. Off out over lunch for a bit of a tempo run, just getting back into them. 
  • Day off yesterday and then 7 miles this morning.  A bit ploddy, and feel like I'm ever so slightly muzzy headed and sniffly.  Hopefully not any kind of lurgy!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Nice consistent paces for the 10K DT.  Sub 29 sounds like a good target for the 5 mile race.

That's still a good tempo session Stevie - have you got any races lined up this side of Christmas?

Nailing the Sub 3 at Boston would be good Ian - you would just need to stay in OO's slipstream.

Tempo session, early evening, 4K w/u, 10K tempo and 3K w/d.  Struggling with motivation but managed to keep a consistent 6:25/m pace for the tempo section.

I have a few races booked before Christmas but my race sharpness and enthusiasm seem to have abandoned me at the moment.  Will have to see how I feel as the races approach!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Some shorter faster stuff this week. Looking forward to Keswick parkrun at the weekend- Ist time on the new tarmac course. Something around 19 would be a nice pre mara boost. 
    I know what you mean SBD, no enthusiasm here for racing at the moment.
    Glad to hear you are doing Boston Ian let's hope we both get confirmation soon👍
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's a difficult time in the cycle to put the graft in, SBD. I dodged my 7m tempo yesterday as I just had a cba moment. I'll do it lunchtime today though. 

Good luck Saturday, oo. 

Couple of easy runs this week whilst I work the 10k out of my legs. 

If anyone fancies trying the alphafly, they are reduced to £207 on nike app, then there is a 25% discount code (GAME21) so come out as £155. IMO, they are far superior to next % particularly half mara onwards however I've also worn them in my recent parkrun, 10k and 10m races. FYI, it seems the code doesn't work to reduce the next%. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good bargain hunting, DT.

I've not run for a week now, due to flu jab side effects last weekend and a stinking cold that arrived in the house on Sunday that just won't shift.
    Hoping to do a "chest clearer" tomorrow which will be an indicator as to whether or not I should do the trail HM I have on Sunday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - today is Thursday, easy answer as to wether to do that trail hm in my book.

DT - i tried to buy some Pegs this morning (£55) but got an error code at checkout, the same error code as i got trying to buy cheap Pegs back in the summer. Last thing i successfully bought was my Next %2, maybe the site wants me to spend more money, so blocks the cheapskate deals.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Same issue TR. Totally sh*te site 😡
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-I bought a pair of Alphas this morning,good deal indeed,I think they have a lot more durability than the next %
    OO-My time has been verified so that's good enough for me.
    Had a 10.5 hilly run on Tuesday followed by an easy 7 yesterday after work,managed to get my effort and heart rate back in to the right area but speed is quite a bit off at the minute,that will come in time.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Site was failing, I had sale access success via the app. Bargains!! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, i was only after the Pegs. Sports Direct often have them for 70ish, so I'll get some then. I got some 1080 at a reasonable price instead. I didnt want any alphafly, im too much of a heel striker.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I got the Pegasus, never had them before but with good experiences with other Nike shoes and for just £55 I thought I'd give them a go.

A cold sore arrived this morning to add to my no running man-flu misery. I've pulled out of the trail HM on Sunday and will just get over this nonsense and start again next week.

Have a good weekend of running, Team. Be careful in that wind.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds grim GD hope it passes.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - pegs are decent every day mileage munchers, decent cushioing, not too heavy and pretty hardwearing. Ive kept a pair on the go the last couple of years. Bargsin at £55. But you can often find them around 70ish.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The Alphas stayed in my basket so I've just placed the order. I had to get a half size smaller so will have to see if they fit OK.
    Meanwhile a blowey Keswick parkrun with lots of tree debris on the course. Very pleased with 18:49 and my first sub 6 last mile, albeit down hill. Last medium long run tomorrow then time to pack a back for Valencia.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Excited for you OO. Hopefully Valencia will give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling before the new variant of Covid ends more of our fun.

Quick scan back to say well done (again) DT.

Hello to Ian and Stevie (waves enthusiastically).

That was a decent tempo session even if you are lacking motivation SBD.

I have lost all motivation with a bout of Covid at home with MsEtte3, a new work schedule, a booster jab (which is really actually a positive), and Tokyo 2022 being cancelled as quickly as it became a new fixture for me.  The Japanese gov have put a limit on the number of international entrants so I have deferred to 2023 instead.

Wondering whether to switch my attention to a HM and possibly Wokingham after chatting to Lorenzo who reminded me a few of the thread are doing it. I need a focus to get motivation going once more.
  • Parkrun roulette for us today. Initially the plan was a fast one at Long Eaton, but I canned that mid-week having seen the forecast. No point trekking all the way there for a slow time. So plan B was Forest Rec easy plus hill reps. At 8.15 there was no update on facebook, the wind had dropped but it was snowing heavily. We arrived at 8.30 to find it was cancelled. Plan C - Colwick. Check facebook. Nope, also cancelled. So plan D was Gedling. Horribly exposed but it's a new country park and the trees are all still quite small, so no fallen trees or fallen branches. Just the snow (which turned to slush) to worry about. And the wind. It wasn't nearly as bad as forecast, but it's always windy up there. Since hardly anyone braved the weather I finished 4th overall and 1st lady despite taking it very carefully in the slippery slushy bits and near grinding to a halt in the wind. I was a whole minute slower than my best on that (hilly AF) course. 

I think we got off pretty lightly though, having seen some footage of the damage up North.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes Speedy it's a scene of devastation back home in NE. Hoping my house is still in one piece when I get back. We'll done for toughing it out.
    Sorry to hear that MsE hope you find a good alternative 👍
  • MsE: if you do want to do Wokingham, I have a place I no longer require and from the website it looks as if they permit transfers.  I've realised it clashes with a rehearsal for a concert I want to play in (and although there will be other races, there will never be another world premiere of the symphony we're playing, so there's absolutely no doubt in my mind which I want to do!).

I took a couple of days off as I felt so knackered and a bit lurgied (took a LFT just in case, and no Covid).  15 miles today and heart rate was definitely still a little elevated, so I hope I haven't set myself back.  I honestly felt fine before I left...!
  • Just 12.4 for me today, rather late as I overslept. The second round of snow arrived just as I finished. You've just reminded me I should do my LFT for today though. I have actually been to places indoors over the last 4 days, which doesn't normally happen other than work. Dentist, hairdresser, sports massage, awards night, a cafe and a handful of shops in town. I can't remember the last time I saw so many different people in indoor settings outside of work!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ian, yes the alphaflys are a much more durable shoes than the vaporflys or Next %. 

Shame about, Tokyo, MsE. This covid thing seems set to have a few more twists and turns by looks. I'm booked for Wokingham. 

Good parkrunnng Speedy and oo. 

Oo, hope the house is in order when you return home. The alphaflys are quite a roomy shoe so you should get away eith half size down. 

Gdawg, sounds like your system is a bit battered so take it easy. My booster is booked in, in a few weeks. Dreading it a bit as it sounds like generally it gives people a bit of a hammering. 

Settling back into normal training after a little race phase. 2 x 3m at tempo off 1m at mara effort Friday, just easing back into my staple Friday session. 7m came in at 6.12mm for a moderate effort so happy with that. A very low effort 13 today at 7.41mm pace. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cc2-Well done on the win.
    MsE-Bad news on Tokyo, haven't you only recently booked it?
    I also got 15 in today,the park I run in had a few trees down so bits of weaving to negotiate, a neighbour also noticed some of our roof tiles got damaged in the storm so getting that fixed.
    Decided to enter Chicago for 22,will be my 5th major,hopefully,bargain flights from Dublin £285 direct with American,so even allowing for going there it will still be cheap.
  • Ian, I did Chicago in 2016.  Lovely race, but my only gripe was that I swear the American concrete roads are tougher on the legs than our tarmac.  Wear well-cushioned/very new shoes!  It's the closest I've ever come to cramping at the end of a marathon.

Rested this morning.  Mr. J is on call and the phone went at 4.30am on Sunday then 2.30am today, so struggling a bit with the sleep disruption.  Hopefully I can have a productive day despite my fuzzy feeling brain and nip to the gym after my meeting!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Returned home and the house is OK. Get my booster tonight so deciding if run or swim is the best option today. 
    Nike say the Alphaflys will arrive on Wednesday  and I leave on Thursday. So I'll have to decide whiether Alphas or Vaporflys for Valencia 🤔
    The travel rule changes are also a bit of a pain....
    Hope you feel better soon Jools- sensible to play it safe 😇
    Did you get any trophies Speedy? I got Marathon champ retrospectively for 2020, thanks to being one of the few who actually managed a race 😆