Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Bought some more Alphaflys by the way. Absolute bargain at £155 😂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you on here ML.
    Actually saw that Podium branding, but didn't realise it was part of the same gang?
    Leicester is probably a bit too much of a stretch in winter for a 5k. Especially as I'll have passed through the Midlands back from your region on Friday!

Hope you did the quidco thing, as that's another £23.80 off, albeit you have to wait until March! Mine arrived today oddly, Sunday delivery.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Chris, who set up and organises Podium is now working for Sportshoes so he's putting the races on with their backing i believe. 
    It's about a 2 hour drive for me for a 5k 🙃 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense to branch out into the more accessible Midlands.
    The other venue is magnificent for you but a bit of a journey for a lot!
    That was a mad day that bank hol..podium5k, Salford game,  United game. Was knackered at the end of that little lot.
  • Good report and race SG! I know it is not PC but that extra adrenalin from racing the leading ladies is always a good help. It is hard to say if you should go for another race or not: I always used to plan a season with a bunch of races in mind but if you are in a good run of form (as you seem to be) then it is maybe worth chasing a few more.

Talking of PC, I notice that Strava now says "accomplished their weekly running goal." and does not assume pronouns. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    It certainly worked perfectly yesterday Phil. I think I had a fair number of races in and around the lock downs that were decent but without hitting that "proper" racing gear. 
    I was surprised to see the 2nd lady giving me kudos, as with the change from needing to specifically log into "fly-bys", it seems odd you don't need to do so for races themselves. Maybe they think being public affairs there's less risk than solo runners on fly bys?

But anyway, I  was glad I'd kept the commentary sensible :)
    Thanked her for a good battle.

With the snow around, and the Manc trip late week, I'm probably thinking another A race style turnout probably isn't great timing next week now.

Quality race is Hatfield. Think I was a mere 7th V40, with a V50 well ahead too.

Strava with the inevitable change I guess. A few races have started listing a 3rd gender option too. But for taking that statement, you lose any chance of qualifying for a pot.
  • @ML84 Becoming a right big event whore these days mate ;)
  • Stevie G said:

I was surprised to see the 2nd lady giving me kudos, as with the change from needing to specifically log into "fly-bys", it seems odd you don't need to do so for races themselves. Maybe they think being public affairs there's less risk than solo runners on fly bys?

I noticed that on parkruns etc. If I do a parkrun then Strava tells me I ran with 40 or more other runners, and we all know parkrun is not a race. 

Reg: what is the plan for the next XC? The statistics show that the closer you arrive to the starting gun, the better position you end up with. Surely it has to be jumping out of the car, hopping across the field trying to pull a shoe on and off! 
  • Reg - Great work in the XC mate. That hill sounds pretty tasty. Like Phil says, you're moving up the leaderboard now, that first place is nailed on next time! Great to see you stringing things together and staying relatively injury free.

SG - Loved the report, quality result given your recent clockings. Sounds like it came together nicely on the day and you were able to nail yourself for a good time. 

SQ - Indeed we're in wine country these days, not a big vino fan but loving the trails around here, it's awesome.

Staying over with some friends in Bucks, so we decided on the day before that we'd head to Wendover Woods parkrun. Clocked that it was Scottish themed so chucked in my fancy-dress kilt for kicks.

As I'm sure everyone knows, Saturday morning was baltic and after a few beers Friday night we very nearly didn't make it out the door. But we did, and I shivered around the car park for a warm up.

Mostly running parkrun with our collie Stan these days, mainly because it seems to rile people up no end when they get beaten by someone getting 'pulled' by a dog. Cracking fun. He's good for the first 2km where he goes out like an utter lunatic, before crashing and burning to the point that I'm effectively trying to cajole him along as he runs by my side/behind me. 

Kilt on, and the cold is biting. We're out front with one other guy with the first 2km being one massive descent, before climbing all the way back to the finish. Having a brief chat with him, and he doesn't seem to be blowing, so I figure he'll probably beat us when Stan slows down.

To my surprise, we pull away in the second half and end up winning (sorry - run not race) fairly comfortably - 2 in a row. An even better surprise is bumping into Bus afterwards - hadn't twigged at all that he normally runs over this way otherwise probably would've tried to send a message.

Running probably not the best idea at the moment as Katie and I are both ill with this horrible bug (not COVID apparently, 4 x negative tests so far), but because we're stupid we obviously continue to run, so 18 hilly trail miles yesterday.

Here's one of me and Stan off the start, where he's got his eyes on the competiton..

• Good work on the XC Reg and a cracking effort in the Hatfield 5 SG. Only a few seconds behind last time you did.

Hi Matt! Two hours for a 5k? Almost exactly 4 times the time it'll take you to run it :smiley:

How am I not in that Photo Joe! :smiley:  Think I was next to the guy in the hideous blue tights!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:
    @ML84 Becoming a right big event whore these days mate ;)
    🤣🤣 I'm just after fast courses to run PBs. Zero interest in running up and down dale these days for a £10 voucher. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Good work on the XC Reg and a cracking effort in the Hatfield 5 SG. Only a few seconds behind last time you did.

Hi Matt! Two hours for a 5k? Almost exactly 4 times the time it'll take you to run it :smiley:

How am I not in that Photo Joe! :smiley:  Think I was next to the guy in the hideous blue tights!
    How slow do you think Matt is these days  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Joe, that angle of your skirt is getting a little non PG there!
    It'd rile me up to billyo someone being towed :D 
    Although not sure that's the type of dog that would maximise such things in fairness, am sure the percentage you versus dog is still massively high!
  • Quality racing & parkrunning at t'weekend folks.
    Enjoyed the reports SG & Reg so thx for taking the time.
    Good to have you back commenting Joe.s
    Saturday was a parkrun/fell race double header for me. 19:50 & 4th at parkrun running solo the whole way then 20th & 3rd MV50 at Blorenge. Usually a straight mile up then 1.2 down, this year (of all years) they'd added a relatively flat section across the plateau & up to the trig to make it 3.5M in total. The top was covered in a dusting of snow & ice whilst the 60mph gusts made staying upright challenging & the sun in your eyes meant I didn't spot the lead runner until he was right on me. Narrowly avoided getting bowled over by him & also kept upright across the boulder field around the trig. Gained places on the ascent then lost them again on the descent as usual.
    Night out Saturday so an easy 6M in the last of the dusky light on forest trails yesterday. Had to crawl through a few fallen trees en route.
    Usual lunch time 35 mins today
  • Stevie G said:
    The Bus said:
    Good work on the XC Reg and a cracking effort in the Hatfield 5 SG. Only a few seconds behind last time you did.

How slow do you think Matt is these days  :D
    Doh! Make that 8 times! 

Quality weekend of brutality that Jools! We expect nothing less 😀
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Sounds a mad race usually that one Jools. A 2.2mile trudge up and depending on your risk taking skills storm back down. 
    Sooner you than most of us I'm certain.

Snow seems to have boogered off, so it was a comfy roads job today, although I did do a couple of laps of another smaller local park too.
    Glad of that. Nothing worse than the threat of icy roads.
  • Another mental race Jools. Read all the other reports too, well done all.

So work is a nightmare, so quick report from last week - LFOTM 5k.

Get there and the start is further away from the first turn, as the loop is a bit smaller due to the Winter wonderland. Walk/jogged as there were no tubes. Got the Nike trampolines out - still feel a bit bizarre on the feet.

Anyway, bit congested and uphill from the start and go through the first K in 3.19 - ideally wanted 3.15's. I felt the Nike's were nicest on the long stretches along the back. I'm in 2nd now and the Belgrave guy is well clear in first. Feeling ok and the middle 3k's are more on it, 3.10, 3.14,3.13, so on for around 16.08. with the flat and downhill last 4 to go...but didn't go to plan, legs hurting a bit and just couldn't get an increase in pace and came through at 16.19 on the garmin, last K 3.19 again which was a bit disappointing...official time 16.21.

Nice walk back to Victoria for a few beers with the HHH gang. Probably a bit too many tbh as I had to pace Ollie around Houghton Hall Parkrun Saturday morning! We did 21.54 so that a 30 second PB for him.

Decent Sunday run, 16.5 miles at 6.50's on the hilly Cublington loop. Another 6 mile tempo last night, slightly slower than last week.

Luton training tonight.
  • The Bus said:

Think you are just ahead of him: best place to be!

• Superman has let himself go.
  • Lol!

where did you find that photo then Philip?
  • I just wonder what he's just seen? Go a face like the smell of gas!

Decent session last night, windy in the last 200m. Session was 5 x 1500, which is two laps of our main loop.

I think the recovery was 90 secs. Came out as 5.13, 5.08, 5.06, 5.04, 5.00. Solid enough if not spectacular.
  • Great progression on the efforts there SC2.
    Looks a fun course Bus - I'll give it a go if I'm ever over that way.
    Decent couple of sessions from me. Usual Tuesday Track at lunchtime yesterday: 16x200m off 100m walk/jog. After a slight dip last week these were the quickest yet :) Skipped the evening's recovery run, mainly due to excess workload :( Reaped the benefit this morning on my 12K w 2x4K@LT which was significantly quicker than last week B)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Nice work on the sessions SC & Jools.

I had a rest day Monday, first one for about 6 weeks. Yesterday was a 4 miler on grass as recovery, 2k swim at lunch and 1hr 40 minutes on Zwift including a tri club chain gang.

12 miler at lunch today, came out at 7:03 pace, bit of calf tightness for a few miles in the middle but it eased off a bit afterwards. Otherwise it felt good, feeling much better at 70kg than my normal 74kg-77kg range. Post run weight was 69kg, I am wondering if this trend continues whether I will have to consciously eat more or perhaps it just levels out at some point. I've already gone beyond my target.
  • Reg Wand said:
    Otherwise it felt good, feeling much better at 70kg than my normal 74kg-77kg range. Post run weight was 69kg, I am wondering if this trend continues whether I will have to consciously eat more or perhaps it just levels out at some point. I've already gone beyond my target.
    In days of old (before talking about weight was banned by the PC police) the rule of thumb for endurance athletes was 2 pounds per inch of height. At 5' 10", 70 inches, that allows me 140 pounds (or 10 stone or 63.5 kg). 

No science behind that at all, just a happy coincidence.

Now the niggles seem to be over (but it is never a straight line and my glutes (a polite word for bum) now ache instead of my knee) I'm starting to drop weight but at 163 pounds I'm 11.5 inches short!
  • SCoombes2 said:
    I just wonder what he's just seen? Go a face like the smell of gas!

Decent session last night, windy in the last 200m. Session was 5 x 1500, which is two laps of our main loop.

I think the recovery was 90 secs. Came out as 5.13, 5.08, 5.06, 5.04, 5.00. Solid enough if not spectacular.
    Just the horror of being overtaken by an old bloke Simon 😎

You'd love WW parkrun Jools! 

I've been wondering the same about weight Reg, though a massive post-run fry-up adding lard and then Philip making me think I'm 5" too short, perhaps I need to focus my efforts in getting taller 😆
  • Interesting Phil, that leaves scope for further losses but I think as a triathlete you naturally carry a bit more muscle from swimming/cycling so rather than the 66kg the formula suggests, 68kg might me a better weight to stay at or above.

At current weight I am still nearly 4 inches too short :-)
  • Height & mass are not linearly correlated hence the BMI formula.
    According to PMJ at 73.5" I should be 147lbs so 10.5st or 66.5kg.
    The last time I was that weight I was 25 & had just spent 4 months in India :D
    3-4 years ago, when I was running really well I was around 5kg over that. Think I'm hovering around 75kg now so plenty of scope for improvement.
    I'd agree Reg. As a triathlete you need a little more muscle mass than a pure runner.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the above, maybe there needs to be a WAVA scale version of Phil's weight chart :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I had pencilled in a bit of 4x200m, 4m HMP +15secs, 4x200m action today.
    But woke up and there was a snowy layer, so thought you can't be romping around roads at a decent lick if there's a potential for bits of icy/dodgy ground.

Therefore, decided on 16x200m off 60secs on the grassy park instead.

Pretty hard work to be honest. In the Adios flats, rather than xc shoes, so a little slippy in places, and surprisingly high wind in one direction.
    Therefore, i'm happy to claim a rough 40ish average, which will do.

Wanted to get a sesh in today, as i'm off to United's game and staying over, so the most I'll want to do tomorrow is a token gesture 4 or so miler on returning tomorrow lunch.

Pleased not to have entered the Perivale 5 now. I probably held off due to wanting to see how Hatfield went, and the combination of this trip too. 
    As Hatfield went as well as it could have done, and this snow turning up, it's much better swerved I think.
    There is the potential for a couple of on the day entry turn outs elsewhere if really fancying one, but probably no need to force one, and a chance to get a long un in before xc the week after.