Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg Wand said:
    My car history is as boring as you'd expect from a runner and I am only on my third car  :D 

I can't get excited about fast or powerful cars having flown aircraft (way faster) and driven big trucks (way more powerful). Maybe that should be part of your driving tuition so you realise that driving at 120mph on the public highway is just being a dick.
  • Reg Wand said:
    My car history is as boring as you'd expect from a runner and I am only on my third car  :D 

I can't get excited about fast or powerful cars having flown aircraft (way faster) and driven big trucks (way more powerful). Maybe that should be part of your driving tuition so you realise that driving at 120mph on the public highway is just being a dick.
    I didn't realise you knew I did 120mph everywhere  :)
  • Mightily impressive racing from the pair of you Joe. Was very chuffed for you when I saw it on Strava first & again on FB.
    Really enjoyed your report as it brought it to life. As ever your ability to stay in the hurt zone for such a prolonged period is admirable.
    Very decent performance in the XC SG especially given you went into it feeling sub-par.
    Congratulations on leading your team to Masters victory Simon.
    Many happy returns Reg.
    Best of luck with the Op Ric. Whilst still on a provisional I went to a festival in the Maxi & had to drive back with only 3rd & 4th as the gear selector broke  :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

However, happy to get over 26th, 7th scorer so not technically in the 6, but knock a few other teams 6 down I suppose.

Good run when you weren't feeling that well early that day. It is always good to get a few of those under your belt so when a big one comes up and you are feeling a tad under the weather you can get a positive mental attitude. 

You missed out the string of FB messages sent early in the morning ;) 

Yes, you added 3, 4, 5 or 6 points to the 3rd and lower teams but had absolutely no impact at all on the outcome of the match. Not being negative, just reiterating my comment from a month or so ago. 

Well, yes, you have to be in the first 6 of the leading 2 clubs to guarantee influencing the very top match. But you can still be in that 12 and not actually influence it too.
    So it depends how clinical, and how few people you want to count as game changers in a 350-400 type race.
  • SG the stats were from the 3 waves combined btw.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, phew Jools. Would have been insane otherwise!!
    I'll try and do some of the bigger higher quality races next year. Telford in mid Dec just seems difficult though.

Reg- like to have think I'd have been up with our 5th and 6th guys, but hard to judge really isn't it.
    5 weeks to the next one. Will see if the appetite is there by then.

Covid is ravaging premier league games at the moment, so bound to start influencing our races. Hopefully starts boring off again soon into the new year though.
  • Oh and the Allegro saga. It was how @The Bus thought it might be. 

Long time ago, so I probably imagined I performed like a Rolls Royce, where in reality I was probably a Morris Minor ;)

I've never owned a car before, never needed to.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im not a car nut either Ric, best of luck with the ops, sounds like tough times.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I'm fortunate in that I don't actually feel ill. The NHS of course is a gem in all of this. I just do exactly what they ask me to do. Easy really. And yesterday was another day 🙂

Good luck all. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reading back a bit more carefully - that sounds bad Ric. Hopefully the op(s) goes well, and the condition is generally as manageable and life quality is good before and after.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Day 2 of a little rest break then, covering little coldy spell/race recovery and jab 3!

Arm sore, head warm. Nothing major, but certainly nothing to be gained from trotting runs out.

Managed to cancel the United tickets for Saturday. A no brainer really. Both me and ALD are ill, his kids might be, it's a 3-4 hour trip each way, and calls for mixing with 1,000s on the tram and in the ground. Factor in having this little rest break this end of the week too, and makes more sense to get 100% again, and get back into things that end of the week.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers SG. Get well soon. You've races to prepare for and reports to deliver. Fingers crossed for the footy as well. I don't really watch the game but enjoy certain teams getting a result. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    The injuries were discovered during a CAT scan on the tumour growing cheerfully on my pancreas. I've got a condition called MEN1. Born with it. Average life expectancy is 55 years so at 61, I'm on extra's. 

Anyway, I go under the knife next month. I could lose both the pancreas and the spleen. That'll be six days in hospital at least.

Something to do 🙂
    That's a bit of a bummer! Just goes to show how unfair this ballot they call life is. You work hard and are as fit as the proverbial butcher's dog and you are dealt that and other overweight buggers (is that the right PC term nowadays, you can't say fatso any longer I'm told?) tock along untouched. 
    But just another part of life's rich tapestry one could say Phil. One thing, the scan was a PET scan. I've had so many different kinds, I've got confused among the initials. 

On the subject of our less lighter brethren? When the surgeons caught up with me, they were so pleased that they'd be carving up an athlete, they seemed damned near close to giving each other high fives. The problem they usually had was, 'Was the patient fit enough to survive the operation?' And, then there's 'The physical problems involved in accessing the 'area of interest' through a thick layer of flab?'

That apart. They were happy I was up for the operation. That I already knew what it entailed. And that nursing staff wouldn't have to use a hoist to move me about. I'm the same weight in Kg's as my age so that helps.

I'm lucky. I've been under observation for over twenty years. It was my own curiosity that led to that. A family osteoporosis study was offered and as a runner I wondered how much better my bone density was. It wasn't! it was really low. Blood tests showed para-thyroidism due to MEN1. And away we went.

And before I forget. It seems that my condition could quite possibly derail any permanent move to New Zealand. Seems being married to a Kewi isn't enough. All sorts of things need to be complied with, in order to qualify. Health being one of them. Might have to hang around a bit longer after all.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I had a planned LT run today, 9 miles with 18 at threshold 4 minute recovery and then 14 minutes at LT. Ive been struggling with a really tight glute/piriformis so wasn’t sure how it would go but badly is the answer 😄

legs felt pretty lifeless as I started the first 18 minutes and the pace was well down on the previous week. Heart rate was well down too so just wasn’t hitting the zone. Decided in the recovery to bin the second, 14 minute interval and save it for another day. Still the 18 mins came out at 5:57 so I am glad to now view that as a failure.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    More sessions going right than not is what we're aiming for Reg, so the occasional one you have to make do with is ok.

Miles sub 6 can never be sniffed at.

My return a lot more humble. 2.5 days total rest, then a little 4mile plod at lunch.
    I must have been a right hero Sunday to get through decently, as while a 740 or so pace 4miler today was fairly comfy, it wasn't brilliant, and this is 3 days on :D 

Still, will gently build it back up. Aim for a 30-35mile week possibly this week.
  • All have sessions like that Reggie.

6x 1200 last night at Luton. 4.03 for the usually rubbish first rep, then got them down to low 3.50's which is ok , 3.15's for the K and around 35's for the last 200. We were timed at the 800 point though, generally about 2.35/2.36. Content with that.

Quiet rest of week as have the South of Thames Senior XC race on Saturday, 7.5 miles. Feeling more confident of keeping the Tonbridge girls behind me now after Saturday ;)
  • Evening. 
    Easy 35 mins Monday & Wednesday, track Tuesday: 16x200m off 45” walk-jog, tempo Thursday: 5x4’@LT off 2’ float.
    Booster this afternoon. So far so good - even went for a swim this evening 😀
  • Ric - Sorry to hear - wishing you all the best and hope it all goes well.

SG - Well raced over XC especially if feeling a little peaky.

Simon - Congrats on the team prize mate, nicely done, always good to beat a few mates as well.

Had the booster myself Tues, felt absolutely awful Wednesday and binned off planned hard session Thursday in favour of a steady run. Feeling much better today.

Wrote a bit more of a detailed post on the 10km if anyone is bored on a Friday - here

Legs held up really well post weekend and we're going to try and strike while the iron is hot and give parkrun a bash tomorrow - probably amble down to Worthing for a fast flat effort on the prom. 
  • Good report @Joe Blogs-BR

Just a couple of things - I read now three in the family and I thought you'd had a kid ;)

and If I queue up for the toilets it's for a dump...peeing in the bushes is standard ;)
  • SC - Think we're still a way off taking the plunge - dog is more than enough for now  :D 

Completely agree re; the loo's strategy - I manage to go a lot beforehand..
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ric - Sorry to hear - wishing you all the best and hope it all goes well.

SG - Well raced over XC especially if feeling a little peaky.

Simon - Congrats on the team prize mate, nicely done, always good to beat a few mates as well.

Had the booster myself Tues, felt absolutely awful Wednesday and binned off planned hard session Thursday in favour of a steady run. Feeling much better today.

Wrote a bit more of a detailed post on the 10km if anyone is bored on a Friday - here

Legs held up really well post weekend and we're going to try and strike while the iron is hot and give parkrun a bash tomorrow - probably amble down to Worthing for a fast flat effort on the prom. 
    Well many thanks Joe. And congrats on that last race of yours and Katies. And a wander over to your post on the matter is in order. Hope you feel better soon. I understand you've had a few setbacks, and Katie also.
    No race reports from me awhile. And bearing in mind this is a running forum I'll leave my two wheeled antics on the back burner.
    Those running shoes (covered with dust) have caught my attention. Hmm!

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC - Think we're still a way off taking the plunge - dog is more than enough for now  :D 

Completely agree re; the loo's strategy - I manage to go a lot beforehand..
    Absolutely critical part of the pre race experience, probably more so than the warm up :D

I still wonder about the Chichester 10k yonks back.
    Felt ready to go, but gave it a "safety" check.

Unleashed enough to fertilise the county and was literally minutes from setting off with that on board. Doesn't bear thinking about  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    4 Wed, 4&4 Thur, 5.5&4 Fri.
    Tedious one paced stuff (bar thinking some tattooed punk was getting lippy on the lunchtime run, and unnecessarily booting the gear a little, only to see him emerge from a totally different part of the estate mins later....), so a little one tomorrow, and hopefully double digits Sun and we'll try and rescue this week with a mid/upper 30mile week.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like pro footy must be on the verge of another break - Villa v Burnley called off with about 3hours until kick off!
    Which wouldn't be good news as if pro football needs a break, they might insist on our amateur racing needs one - fingers crossed though.

4miler for me, to at least stretch the mileage for the week to 25.5m, pending tomorrow.

Had a rough count of the year's mileage and I wasn't that close to hitting 3,000 so no real issue. That month post Endure with the niggle screwed that one up.
  • Evening everyone. Got smashed about by a virus for ten days or so, knocking a hole in running and general motivation. 

Easing back into things with some recoveries with Spoons, a tempo light along the canals (6:45s for 18, 12, 10 mins), and then a bit of a hit out at parkrun today. 

Winter course, which, whilst all tarmac seems to produce slower times. More overtaking I guess with the four laps. 19:22 for 6th and 1st V35 (tenuous, but I’m clutching at straws for some positive feedback 😆). Guess none of the fast boys turned up - perhaps there was a Birmingham League XC today or a race tomorrow I’m not thinking of. 

So - what have I missed? Normally good for some snappy summaries on here 😀 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You missed a few race reports SQ, including one that was taking one for the team job...that ended up not scoring for the team :D 

Just realised I still have an additional prize to lash away (voucher AND a mug from that one!)..

£25 voucher at the local running shop. Brilliant.

Only slight caveat is it has to be on "ON" brand gear! (You can imagine how I didn't notice that ON was the brand rather than just seeing £25 on running gear on the first scan read!)

Their shoes seem to be super high price, so I'm hoping their gear is a bit cheaper and that might cover some shorts, vest, or at a push just socks!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    In trying to see what they offered on their website, I noticed they had a couple of "local" events listed from the same organisers as the Marlow 10k.

Beauty of this lot is they allow on day entries. But Sherfield 10k MT is a bit too soon tomorrow, after a cold/jab/race recovery week and the Winter Woolley a week Monday might have been interesting.

But checking the photos there's styles and stuff to hurdle, but also they allow people running around attached to mutts to go out 10mins earlier, making the race like some awkward Sunday run round a park avoiding dogs munching at you :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps Simon,  no sign of the Aylesbury boxing day 5k this year. Know anything about it? Assume they just didn't think it was worth scheduling?
  • SQ - sorry to hear about the virus mate. Glad you're back at it. 4 laps sounds horrendous! Would be avoiding that one like the plague. I suppose not too bad if there's not 100s of runners.

SG - booster knocked me out for a day or so but passed quick enough thankfully. Sure you'll be on it in earnest next week. 

So - I had a go at parkrun on Saturday. Last went sub-17 back in 2017, officially (ran it on a solo Battersea Park TT back in COVID times, but I'm not counting that with GPS uncertainty etc).

Now being in Dorking, fast courses don't exist around here, so it's either 45 mins to London or 45 minutes to the coast. Ended up going for Hove Prom, purely because I knew a mate of a similar speed was going to be there. 

Got down there and the wind was pretty stiff when running to the East, which wasn't going to be load of fun. The usual joggy warm up with a few strides and we're good to go.

Went out hard, we've got the wind behind us and it's a ludicrous 3:16 (3:24 is 17 mins). 2 lapper up and down the prom, so 4 dead turns. Second km is 3:26 and the halfway timer shouts out 8:30 exactly - I'm right in the mix.

At this point I'm glad I've roped my mate in, as there's usually more fast people here but it's just me and him at the front this week. Unfortunately, he's faster than me, and pulls away before we hit the headwind section and I've got to slog into it solo (this was ultimately my undoing I think).

3:20 and 3:25 have me believing I've still got this, hoping for a few second backs turning on the jets in the closing stages. Final dead turn with 800m to go, and it's everything you've got and more, as the line seems impossibly far away in the distance.

At this point I realise 5km is beeping on my watch way before the line (it does in 16:49!), and I've been led to believe I've got this when really I haven't! Final sprint and I've stopped the timers at 17:04. Almost, but not quite.

I'm not for one second saying the course is wrong - just that I was relying on my watch to see where I was at, and it was measuring slightly inaccurately. In all honesty, not sure I could have run any harder anyway - it was probably the wind that scuppered me in the end.

I was third in the end, some guy sailed passed me into the wind on the 2nd lap, looking impossibly fresh. Katie ended up with 18:41 - equaling her PB (D'oh!).

22 miles on the trails this morning to make 77 for the week. Things progressing nicely for the spring campaign!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good place to be either way JB. Never know with parkruns, I see loads of 3.05 and 3.06miles pop up every week.
    Plenty of time to develop the fitness and probably make some decent inroads down the 16xxs at Battersea Park next summer.

Saw they're close to announcing the dates. Let's just hope the virus has eased right back down asap to allow for a proper summer next year.