Running Club in Barnes?

I started running about 9 months ago to loose weight. I managed to shed the pounds very successfully - but somehow in the process managed to get hooked on this running madness.

I see plenty of other people out running along the river - but wondered whether there was a local running club in the Barnes area of southwest London?

It would be good to have some company to run with once a week to keep me motivated and to help me improve on race times.

Comments

• If you don't know already there is a running club in this area the Barnes Runners. We meet Tuesday at 7pm and Sunday morning at 945am, at the Barnes rugby club right next to the Wetland centre.

It's a great friendly club who run various distances website is www.barnesrunners.co.uk
  • Definitely avoid Barnes Runners if you are a woman!
    I went one evening after lockdown and the club captain was unbelievably condescending. It's basically a boys club with a lot of pissing competitions.
    I run with West4Harriers which is much more welcoming. And women are not seen as unwelcome add-ons!
  • Couldn't agree more! I run with Putney Running Club. Barnes are elite and standoffish. They basically left me in the park, on my own in the dark. I had no idea where I was going. And the guy in charge just laughed when I finally made it back to the clubhouse. Bunch of privileged wankers.
  • Looking for something similar. Glad this post was made. Bravo.
  • The previous chairman was a lefty who tried to turn the club into a charity for the world's great unwashed and needy. At least it is back to being what it was intended to be in the first place – a running club. Not bloody Save the Children! :)
  • Boy, this got dark really quickly.
    At W4H, we often help out charities. It's fun!
  • I can say joining a running club can be a great way to stay motivated and improve your running performance. Fortunately, there are several running clubs in the Barnes area of southwest London that you can join. The "Barnes Runners" is a popular club that offers weekly group runs, as well as social events and races. Finally, the "Mortlake & Barnes Runners" is a club that is open to all abilities and offers weekly group runs, social events, and races. They also have a range of training programs to help you to improve your performance.
  • Whether or not running clubs should get involved in fundraising is ultimately a view. Personally, I think that the whole charity dimension is great as far as it goes, but a lot of people train hard for the London Marathon every year, and then don’t get in on the ballot because so many charity places have been snaffled. That’s rather unfair for the people who put in the hours to get a good for age place. We are finally getting Barnes Runners back on track after several years of misdirection. It’s a great club and more importantly, it’s a great running club. Josh Ord Hume was a bit unclear about what running clubs were actually about. We’re not a charity!
  • What Josh Ord-Hume does not realise is that by being too inclusive, you actually become exclusive. Getting behind causes that people don’t care about or understand really is not what running is about. And pandering to the wokerati by trying to cater to people of all paces and beliefs will ultimately erode the values of excellence on which Barnes Runners was founded. He wouldn’t even use the word Christmas on the website, ffs. We are a Christian country last time I looked!
  • Sorry, but this is just really weird. I think I read somewhere that the London Marathon is the UK’s biggest charity event. Meaning that hundreds of charities depend on runners and the money they raise. At every race, you meet people running for charity. What is wrong with raising money for a good cause?
    I ran with Barnes a couple of times during lockdown. My issue with them was not the charity stuff – it was the fact that the captain was such a toff, and there were no women! Putney was actually set up by Rob Morley as a fundraising running club – and there is nothing wrong with that!
    I know Josh, I’ve met him at loads of races, and friends of mine know him from Sierra Leone. You can be a good runner and raise money! And you can be a nice guy!
    Come and run with Putney! We meet on Wednesday evenings at the Putney War Memorial at 7.10pm for a 7.20pm start. And we raise money for charity 😊
  • That's fantastic progress with your weight loss journey and embracing running! Running clubs are a great way to stay motivated and improve race times. In Barnes, southwest London, you can check out local running clubs like the Barnes Runners or the Richmond Park Harriers. They offer group runs and training sessions that can enhance your running experience and foster a sense of community. Happy running!
  • Nobody is saying that fundraising is bad. But raising money for causes that nobody really understands in Islamic Third World countries, and then forcing people to go to those countries is a bit tone deaf, don’t you think? People are struggling in London, so getting people to part with their hard-earned cash to help Muslim causes in Africa is a bit insensitive. Barnes Runners supports local Christian charities, and always will. Josh Ord-Hume is not welcome as long as he continues to be so aggressive with his fundraising for Muslim countries.