A 1000 miles in 2022?

Hello and welcome to fellow runners,

I have just run my last run of 2021. For the last few years there has been a thread to encourage each other to run 1000 miles in the year. I have found it very motivating, inspiring and useful. 

I hope you will feel able to join us on what is usually an exciting and challenging journey through the running year! 

Personally I am training to step over the start line of a marathon but my main aim is to enjoy running throughout the year regardless of what happens 🏃‍♀️

TT

Comments

• I'm in. Agree with everything above by TT.

I'll have a think about targets for 2022.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Well done on starting this thread, TT! By pure coincidence I was just starting the 2022 in 2022 challenge!
    I may well join in yours as well given how much I have struggled in 2021! 
    Onwards and upwards!

Edit: some figures whilst I have my calculator out!

1000 miles is 1609.34 km for those like me who work in metric!

1000 miles = 2.74 miles or 4.41 km per day or 19.18 miles/30.86 km per week.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I'm not going to set a mileage target...I did 2020 miles in 2020 but had a lot of injury downtime in 2021...go figure. So as long as I get over 1000 I'm good. Will likely aim for around 1500 or so, but depends on how the old bod is.
  • I'm in again, thanks for starting this one for 2022 TT.
    I've got one more run to do for 2021, taking our Friday run group out for a hilly 6 miler before Hogmanay cheers kick in.
    Not sure what I'll do in 2022, my 1800 mile in 2021 was helped by a lot of working from home, so who knows.
    See you all on the other side.
  • Donnie, hope you’re getting better.

Last run of the year done, working New Year’s Eve into new year.

Last day I didn’t run was 30 Dec 2020 so Runstreak now on day 366. Averaged 5.047 miles a day.

YTD 1842.13 miles

• And one more thing, it’s raining in Dubai for the first time since March 2020!
  • And I’ve just noticed that a new thread has been set up and I’ve posted on the wrong one….
  • YTD 3.3
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Kicking off with 4...a one mile warm-up and then Homewood parkrun, where the mixture of mud, hills and more tree roots than I've ever encountered before resulted in my slowest running parkrun ever. (I have walked two...one as a tail walker and one power walked when I was injured). But it was a lovely morning so I enjoyed it.

YTD: 4
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    DR  I am in awe of you running everyday for a year. I am even more amazed by the fact it is raining in Dubai.

Alehouse welcome, good to know you have worked out the mileage for the weeks, does seem very easy to do when it is January the first!!!!

Donnie have you thought about doing Manchester?

Hobie I am going to learn from you and track my elevation gain, and see if my Garmin is consistent or not........

Started the year with the long run, 19 miles. Headwind of 12-15mph for 16 miles then I turned round! Lots of dogs out, but I ran for 8 miles only seeing a horse rider! 

YTD: 19
    Elevation: 465 feet
  • Here we go again, welcome Alehouse.
    Nice run TT, starting strongly, elevation around here isn't a problem...I finished 2021 with 5 and a bit Everests.
    Easing into 2022 with a warm 6 around the coast path, busy on the beaches with surfers and swimmers. 
    6 miles YTD
    774 ft elevation 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... Just noticed your amazing group ran a half marathon! But you posted it on the old (2021)thread!
    That was a great time for a group that had hardly ventured beyond 10km!

Alehouse... Welcome!

TT...  A serious run for 1st.Jan. 19 miles!? (Headwinds and Horse riders; don't get those on the treadmill!)

Cal... Setting an easy parkrun time at the start of the year!

OK. Looks like I've signed-up for another year! 
    My starter for the year was a 7' steady (?) run, bringing me to the end of a 33mile week.
    (Age grading today was just under 67%. I'll be aiming for a higher grade on a couple of runs each week.)

YTD: 7' . 
  • Oops, thanks for pointing out my error MrM2, head was still a bit numb. Yeah, they are doing an amazing job, improving so much.

Today our little Friday Run group ventured out to do a half marathon...most have never done more than a 10k...smashed it out of the ballpark...just over 2 hours, plenty of short breaks to regroup, lots of chat and support. Rain, wind and even a bit of sunshine.

19 miles YTD 
  • A belated Happy New Year to newcomers.
    Like Cal, I am going to make sure I recover gradually from the nightmare of 2021 (COVID, L4 etc).

01/01 - 4.35 miles (to and back from parkrun).
    02/01 - 11.07 

YTD = 15.42 miles.
  • MrM2 - I did laugh when one of the volunteers congratulated me on my fastest time of the year. 
    Harmander, 2021 wasn't kind to you, me or MrM2, was it? Let's hope 2022 will be better.
    Great stuff, Hobie!

Took yesterday off to visit Winter Wonderland and ride some coasters, so did my long run today. I wanted to do 18 miles but my legs did not. 12 it was, then.

YTD: 16
  • Cal, 2022 has got to be better.
    My daughter managed to fall over, tripping over her feet - as a tail walker, I found it hilarious.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal that's a very optimistic view to take! Like you, MrMr2 and Harmander I am hoping for a better year. Thinking that my bike might stay in the garage till after Manchester, that way I can't fall off it.

Hobie that is a brilliant achievement for your group, fabulous start to the year.

This morning I ignored the OH who offered to pick me up if I just ran east and ran round town. Wind, wind and more wind, but the run is done. 

YTD: 40.05
    EG: 720 ft
  • Harmander, I've fallen by tripping over my own feet before, but never walking...that takes a special kind of talent! :lol:
    TT, you are storming away with the lead now!
  • Cal, yes it was about 9:40 am and on the second of two laps at Valentines parkrun - I don't think she had had a drink so early in the morning either.

Anyway, another 4.35 miles today.

YTD = 19.77 miles
  • Going well TT, good miles early on.
    Had my booster this morning (10 minutes in, jab, out) no effects so far so out for a hilly hour this afternoon before the weather changes to chilly.
    26 miles YTD 
    2234 ft elevation 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thought I was ready for a longer run today, but the legs were a bit displeased with me for not giving them a rest day! So, another undulating half marathon distance on country roads. (O'all pace of 10:55/mile!!!)

YTD: 20' .
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie I had no side effects from the booster, hopefully you will be the same. 

MrMr2 somehow our legs always make it known what they want!

Harmander good to see you back running consistently.

We have ice, again, so back on the TM. Decided to do a spin class first and stay at the gym. 

YTD: 47.3
    EG: 720 ft
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Cleared my covid isolation on NYD. Been out twice since (2 x 5). I was almost asymptotic with covid, my only issue was feeling tired but I've found both runs difficult and I've been slow.  Felt like I could have gone further whilst maintaining pace but no way could I have gone quicker.

TT: You asked about Manchester. As you know I recommended the event based on my October experience and still would however I'm not doing it in April. Since October I've struggled a bit with my hip, nothing serious I just need to be more flexible, had a bad cold, then covid, I just don't think I'll be ready in time and maybe my commitment is a bit down.  I'm looking at either the Retford or NE lincolnshire HMs in spring. Retford is the 1st Sunday in March. I'm guessing you'll have run the lincolnshire one and maybe Retford?

YTD: 10
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie OH has run NE Lincs, and we are looking to do it this year. Tape to tape are very well organised and run fabulous races. Very enthusiastic and supportive marshalls. NE Lincs is a fast course, very fast! Not looked at Retford, will have a look now, anything to avoid that uni assignment.

I seriously need to buy a calculator!

YTD: 37.3
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Ice and more ice with wind, just below freezing, back on the TM.  Last January I managed three runs outside so I think I have established a TM pattern to the year. 

10*800 @ 5 km pace with a very long WU and WD. 

YTD: 46.94
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Enjoying a few days back on the south coast. So, got out just after sunrise, and ran into blinding sunlight for the first couple of miles! Barely above freezing but no ice on the ground.

A simple 7 miles on familiar roads. Enjoyable, even though it was a bit 'ploddy'. (blame the extra layers)

YTD: 27' .
  • Going well TT, nice miles.
    Got out today for a gentle one with work run group, felt kind of bleuch...might be booster still kicking around my system. Decided not to do Run Club tonight...rest might be better.
    30 miles YTD 
  • Early 8 for me today...pretty much dark for most of it. Cold but not icy, though there was a bit of frost in places. Tomorrow looks a lot colder...minus temps even in London so I expect it'll be slippery and I will probably take a gym day instead.

YTD: 24
  • 5 today...not a bad run at all, though I am looking forward to when it gets light at 6am. Got a way to go yet though.

YTD: 29
  • Nice one Cal, great when it starts to feel good. I noticed that it's getting lighter on our trip to work in the morning now so getting there.
    No running club for me tonight...guess who's got Covid, inevitable I guess so a few lonely days.
    I live in the middle of nowhere so I might still get a few lone miles done without upsetting anyone...started doing yoga again which feels hard at the moment but will hopefully help flexibility.