Overdone it?

Comments

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny - I call it MP for ease but I guess I really just mean a moderately hard effort run. 

Muddy - sounds a bit more like it mileage wise and with some decent faster bits thrown in there too.
  • Nice session, Mr V. Hopefully you get to do an all out parkrun soon to see exactly where your fitness is. 

Nice Xmas party - parkrun combo, Muddy (DFYB!) - I have a similar combo coming up this weekend I think. 

More decent miles Kevin, what race are you eyeing up?

Cheers for the heads up on Manchester marathon, Skinny. Will have  alook around for other spring ones. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a decent outing, Mr v. It's a good one to do regularly to gauge progress. 

Skinny, Manchester will reopen in January based on previous years. 

Good to see you throwing in some faster stuff, Muddy. 

I did a recovery run and spin Monday then a session yesterday of 7 x 4min at 6mm off 2 min at 7mm. A reduced session compared to normal which was welcome as legs were tired after Sunday. Just under 7m at 6.16mm. Easy 10m over lunch today. Then went for my booster. Hoping to feel OK tomorrow. 
  • DT - Looks like you're back into the early stages of mara training already...relentless.

Forgot to answer your previous question. Next XC is second weekend in January. Right on the North Coast of Devon at Westwood Ho! Will have to channel some of the determination of my club mate who made his GB debut at the Euro XC at the weekend. 
  • I'm deliberately not taking my barcode these days @Tommy2D :)
  • DT how's the form after the booster?

Mr V going good with pace and distance for your session

Back to a Thursday trying to do some sort of session, 4mls at 7.46, 7.37, 7.45 & 7.31 working a bit on the last one going by hr data. Unsure what that is for me but i am going with hm pace  :s Looking at maybe 7.40 hmp 8.00 mp and 8.20 steady. I have been doing my long runs at 9.30ish range. No races planned yet but would love to get a bank of training in to look at something march time. 

Hope everyone ok and still out running.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    He sounds like a pretty tasty runner, Tommy. Was he in senior team or an unders team?

Paces sound reasonable, Kevin though I'd say generally the gap between hmp and mp is probably closer to 30s per mile unless you convert very well. Obviously that's mara pace over an actual mara, which is usually different to the shorter training pace version. 

I think I've largely dodged a bullet. Woke up yesterday absolutely fine so did spin and 6m recovery as planned. 

Last night though I slept really lightly and woke about 2am with my left arm throbbing. Struggled to get comfortable lying on either side. Fine again today but quite tired.

Went out over lunch for a mixed pace long run as I'm out drinking all day tomorrow.  Did 5m easy then 3 x 2m at mp off 1m easy. Meeting friends at parkrun tomorrow for a social. Will jog round at mara pace. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice to run parkrun at an enjoyable efforts and take it in a bit. Splits of 6.20, 6 15, 6.13 and 6.06 to finish for 19 37. 

Legs were a bit tired after yesterday's session but pace was manageable enough without feeling like I was forcing it. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Nice one DT.

I managed 19.02 for my parkrun this morning. Felt very comfortable but I just didn't have the speed to go quicker. Makes sense since I've been mainly focusing on aerobic stuff recently.
  • Nice running in parks gents. 

I managed 20:04 after a few pints last night. Happy enough with that on a fairly hilly course and with an annoying wind. 

DT - yeah Will's very handy. He was in the senior race, finished just behind Jake Smith. He's got a commonwealth qualifying time for the 3000m steeplechase, although they haven't announced the squad yet. I've got tickets for the athletics stadium on the Saturday when the final is, would be great if he made it that far.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=90724

• 3 thread parkruns - good efforts everyone.

Last week 3, 8, 0, 12, 0, 0, 15 for 38 total.

The 15 was in the dark on slippy underfoot conditions in freezing fog so not ideal. My beard was all frosty when I finished.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mr v, well done on the parkrun, nice enough pace to feel easy. 

Tommy, I just wouldn't get myself up and go off a few drinks. Looks handy with that sub 30, 10k. Did you look at the Telford 10k results? Obscene standard. 

Decent tally, Skinny. 

Saturday was quite a heavy night, out at 2pm, home at 4am. Still feeling it! Session today though of 3k then 3 x 1k then 3k. Progressed it well enough with 11.02 for first 3k then 3.32, 3.30 and 3.29 for 1k reps then 10.48 for final 3k. 

Normal training week this week with Xmas day landing on Saturday then having a cut back next week as I go away Thursday for 4 nights. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hope everyone is having a good break? 

Ive ticked over throughout.  Managed 50m last week with two sessions so a largely normal week.

This week has been easy miles until today when I decided to do 8m at my normal 160bpm effort. Came out 6.16mm for 161bpm so a decent effort in the midst of festive slumber!  Pleased with the progression as well with 6.20, 6.20, 6.23 and 6.20 then 6.14, 6.13, 6.06 and 6.10. 

I realised last week also that 2500m for year was on so 8m easy tomorrow morning before I travel to Devon for 5 days will leave me on 2495m and 43m for week.  I need to prep my wife for fact that first morning will have to involve a 5m run and I'm unable to compromise! Should then hit 50 ish miles again this week. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Happy new year everyone -  hope you've all had a good break.

Nice work on the mileage there DT. I managed a rather more modest 1700 miles.

However I've averaged 41 miles per week over the last 4 weeks so feel I'm starting the new year with a reasonable amount of consistency. Hopefully a good place to build from. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year! 

Yes that's hopefully the base of done decent consistency, Mr v.

Did my 5m running loops of an industrial estate so hit 2500. 

Today the weather was a bit poor and we had no plans so I drove a few miles and picked up a coastal cycle path and ran 6m out and back which bought me up to 61m for week. I've ended up with pretty decent training over Xmas with a 50m and 61m week and three sessions over those weeks  
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year all, hope you've all had a good break. Mine has been a little bit disjointed as half of the household has had The Rona. Fortunately I managed to avoid it but have been providing 24hr room service for those isolating. Have managed a few social running miles here to total about 20 over Christmas week. 

DT - excellent yearly mileage, looks like you're in great shape heading into 2022. I reckon you're in for another great year, enjoy the rest of your time in Devon. 

Mr V - Sounds like a very solid base, hopefully you can have a good crack at parkrun soon and then line up some spring / summer races. 

I've signed up to a scenic/hilly half marathon round the edge of Dartmoor in March to give me a specific race to train for although I will throw in a couple of XC races during Jan and Feb. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I've started off in full flow, will hit 50m this week with two quite hard sessions. 3 x 2m on Tuesday off 1 min felt horrendous, right old shock to the system though all the reps came in about 11.50. 

Today was 54 mins alternating between 5 mins at 5.50s and 2 mins at 6.50s. All the main reps came in 5 55/5 56 but felt much more controlled today. Ended up with 8.8m and 6.08mm average. 15m planned Sunday .

Looking on strava, end of January last year I did 7 x 4 min off 2 min easy and that averaged 6.24mm for 40 mins and only 3 bpm average less. 

Sounds like a good target, Tommy, though the description suggests it'll be a proper hard half! 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Quiet on here at the moment. Cut back week for me last week so just 31 miles including a couple of lightish sessions. Aiming to be back up over 40 again this week.

DT - that's a monster session there and a huge difference between where you were at the end of last January. A great place to start the year in.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mr v, yes it was a decent stage at this stage of things.

Saturday however my sons football match was called off and they organised a dad's and lads knock about. Against my better judgment I got involved and 25 mins in I over extended to block a cross and my hamstring popped! 

I've had it elevated all weekend and been routinely icing it but it's pretty sore. It's not been 48 hours yet so still in the acute stage, hoping once the initial trauma subsides it'll heal quickly. It hasn't bruised or appears swollen or hot in the area so hoping it's nothing too bad. I'm just absolutely furious with myself for breaking the 'no football' self preservation rule. 

Even if not too bad it'll be a good 7-10 days out. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Ah DT - that's a bit of a blow. Hopefully nit won't keep you out for too long. No point dwelling on it, what's done is done. 

Mr V - good to see you're bring sessions back into your training. 

An unscheduled work trip last week meant the first week of HM training didn't go to plan, will try again this week. 

I did manage to get to the XC race yesterday, which was located on a headland sticking out into the Atlantic in North Devon. As you can well imagine it was pretty bleak and utterly wind blasted. 

The course was 3 x 1.5 mile laps, with absolutely nothing in the way of hills but it was pretty water logged / boggy in places with a few streams and ditches to jump. I managed to get in a decent group of about 6 from the start and we were working well together and this couple of people who have beaten me at the last couple of races. Coming round a boggy bend at the end of the first lap, the bloke at the front of the group slipped backwards and ended up on his back, I had a split second decision as to what to do and ended up hurdling him and fortunately just managed to avoid landing on him in spikes. We stuck as a group for the first couple of laps but by the time the third lap started the group started to splinter up and one bloke pulled up. I was getting heavy legged and as luck would have it, the wind had increased, it was becoming a bit of a trudge. Coming into the longest finish straight I've ever known I could feel somebody closing in behind me, managed to find something of a sprint finish to hold him off by a couple of seconds.

Ended up finishing 53d which is my highest placing in this series and gets me closer to my goal of a top 50 placing. Lower calves are feeling a little tight today but hoping to get out for a gentle run a bit later on to try and ease them. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - bad luck, hopefully it's a quick heal and doesn't set you back too much. Given the volume/ intensity of training you do 7-10 days rest might actually be beneficial in the longer run. 

Tommy - nice work on your finishing position, edging closer to that top 50 placing.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tommy, another well managed round of 'fun' there for you. I thought you were going to discuss whether your decision was about stopping to help the fallen runner! 

Mr v, yes my consolation is that I've just done 10 weeks or so of very good training and racing so have pipeline fitness to come as well and so that sort of period out may well serve me well over the rest of the year. I didnt have the usual break in August with my holiday cancelling and in fact turned it into my biggest ever month and equally I trained right through Christmas almost unhindered. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    If it were a fell race I would have stopped to help but as he'd landed in a mud heap next to the car park I figured he'd be fine!

Just seen they've updated the fastest-slowest parkrun list. 

https://www.thepowerof10.info/content/itemdisplay.aspx?itemid=1702

Might have to head to Watermead next time I'm back in the Midlands.

With a nice little video explaining how it's all calculated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ldOZ_CVDg
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Tommy thanks for posting - that's an interesting list. Looking at all the parkruns I've done I'd say I agree with their rankings.

A steady run of 8.5 miles @ 6.38s for me today.
    I'll probably do a couple more of these before I then start to move to some shorter, faster stuff. 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Happy Newish Year to you all! 
    Sorry about the footy injury, DT.  Must be annoying when you are in such a rich vein of form.  I hope you aren't out too long and, as others have said, a short rest may well be beneficial.
    I see from Garmin Connect that you are doing quite a bit of running, muddy, though mainly short distances.  It would be good to see you back to full fitness and posting regularly on here.
    The rest of you seem to be running well and it could be a good year for the thread.
    As for me, I finished my Couch to 5k programme this week.  Upped the pace a bit so that I would actually manage 5km on my final 30 minute run.  Pleased to have done that, now it's a case of gradually increasing distance and pace for the next few months.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Interesting parkrun stats. I think all the ones I've run are in top 50. 

Good going Mr v. How are you basing effort/progress on these? HR or perceived effort? 

Pete, good to see your progress. Many people would be delighted with sub 30, ignoring age and recent hip fracture. 

My hamstring is slowly easing. Now I'm beyond that first 72 hours where it's all about damage limitation, I can hopefully speed up recovery with light stretching, walking and treatment. Booked in with physio tomorrow morning to work on it. Also booked in with chiropractor next Tuesday as he has a wider array of weapons such as needling and red light treatment. 

Had confirmation of my Berlin gfa place this morning. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Pete - good go see you back. Look forward to seeing your progress over coming weeks/ months.

DT - I've just been aiming for a comfortably hard effort and extending the distance over time. It's probably somewhere between HMP and MP given current fitness. I've never bothered with HR as I don't like wearing the strap and the data from the wrist based one in my watch always seems like nonsense.

Glad to hear the hamstring is improving. Hopefully you'll be back to it shortly. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Very quiet on here at the moment.

DT - How is the hamstring doing?

Tommy - any XC this weekend?

Wonder how Muddy and Skinny are getting on....

40 miles for me this week including an 18.35 parkrun yesterday. Pleased to see things moving in the right direction. Splits of 5.53, 5.55, 5.54 were nice and consistent and I think I've benefitted, strength wise, from the longer MP type runs I've been doing recently.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've little running to report. I've been getting some great sessions in on bike. Went out tonight for 15 x 1 min off 1 min walk. It was tight but manageable. I probably need another week off running. I'm getting unduly edgy about my fitness and age and thinking I'll never recover and my weight is too high butI've only had one week off training and should know from 18 months ago I can do some good work on the bike, I can get the full fitness back and I'm edgy about pushing 11st when then I was 12 St. 

I think I have to accept that project 2.45 will be for Berlin now and not Manchester. I've booked a week's all inclusive for end of February to lanzarote  albeit on promise from my wife that she understands I'll be chasing training weeks so it won't be a normal holiday arrangement. 

I see from strava that Muddy is quietly going about his business and slowly moving things along. 

Hopefully skinny is doing the same and preparing gor Manchester??

Mr v, that's a pretty controlled set of splits for a 5k. I know you've previously suggested your best days are done, but I very much doubt it. I'm sure it won't be much longer before you are back to your best times. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT glad to hear the hamstring is getting there. If you've been keeping up with the bike work a couple of weeks off running shouldn't have too much effect on fitness. Sounds like your wife is very understanding of your training! 

Yeah I hope my best times are still within reach. I've just put together 5 months of consistent training which I simply haven't been able to do since 2018. Let's see how it goes but if I can manage another 5 months things could start to get interesting.