Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, best of luck for today.

Glad you're feeling better today, Shades.

We had a nice day out yesterday, including going up to Ham Wall in Somerset to see the starling murmuration in the evening, where the RSPB estimate there are 1m starlings.  It was really busy (with people, as well as starlings), with the carparks overflowing, probably because it was a Sunday.  When I've been before it was nowhere near as busy but I did read that the RSPB sites were forced to close in 2020 due to Covid, so maybe that is why they were more popular this year too.  I would like to go and see them in the morning one time, as they leave the reed beds all at once, but it is an early start from here.  Anyway, it is worth trying to see them I'd say, if you have a roost near you.   
  • Cal - Wish you all the best today

Shades - You’re very disciplined about rest days. I could learn from that! You haven’t thought about doing some more coaching since you finished with WRN?

3 miles before work this morning. Feel grossly unfit and fat frankly but good to get out and managed to run continuously at MAF at least. No ITB. A touch of tenderness at the end on the achilles so moving back to higher drop shoes only for now just in case and will rest tomorrow. Back in the office for the next two days. I don’t want to run with a rucksack until I get stronger so will have to work out the logistics of my commute runs. Probably leave a bag at the office overnight tomorrow and run in on Wednesday. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - must be an amazing sight.

Rcouture - it's not discipline I was sick yesterday and today we have ice.  In fact as soon as it was daylight the ice was much worse than I thought.   We've got a few frosty nights forecast this week but roads should have dried up by then, still wet from rain yesterday at the moment.

The coaching I've done on this thread has kept me very busy, not now, but over the years.   I don't want to coach in a club situation again.

Sensible decision re the shoes while your achilles is a a little sensitive, good news on the ITB though.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    When I posted my last post I was sitting having breakfast in my running stuff, but soon after I saw people walking gingerly outside, so I abandoned that and went on Zwift for an hour instead :) 

RCouture, good news the ITB wasn't an issue today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - sorry your run was iced off too.  

I have been offered a place in Dublin marathon 😃😃😃

I didn't think I would as I had to say how many times I'd run it before and with 15 previous runs I thought that would lessen my chance of a place.

I think that will be a big chunk of my race budget gone for the year but happy to spend it on Dublin.
  • I haven't actually been outside yet :blush:

I managed 1:30:57; lost some pace in last 4 miles. Bit disappointed, but still a PB. Conditions were ideal with no wind.

I still find half marathons so difficult - hopefully this improves after doing a marathon..
  • Great news, Shades!
    Rcouture, glad to hear that troublesome ITB seems to be on the mend.
    Bradders, it will...while I'm nowhere near your standard, I didn't manage a sub-2 half until I'd done a marathon.

So my news turns out to be good...after another set of mammograms, an exam and an ultrasound, the little blob turned out to be a small cyst, which the doc duly drained. Thank f***.
  • Cal - think barriers are the same as everyone regardless of pace. My main barriers was 1:40 half. Took many many goes! Glad to hear that your results were ok. Whens your heart investigations? Mine is 9th Feb so not long.
  • The day after yours!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - your news is even better, what a relief.   Good that they could deal with it straight away too.  😊

Bradders - well done, that's a cracking PB.   When you're marathon training you should be able to nail that sub 1:30.   Marathon training will give you that extra edge in being able to hold race pace in shorter races.
  • Cal - Fabulous news! You must be so relieved. Cyst drainage does sound pretty funky 🤢

Bradders - Great PB. Are you signed up for a marathon this year?

Despite being months away from being able to do any speedwork I have asked for some new speed shoes as a very belated Christmas gift so have my eyes on the Takumi Sen 8 from addidas. Totally unnecessary but have never tried addidas running shoes. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great news, Cal!
  • Thanks all - definitely a big relief. Rcouture...yeah, that did involve having a needle stuck in my boob, but it wasn't that bad. After flu and covid vax, I'm pretty used to needles.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - new shoes, that will cheer you up.   Never heard of those but there are so many shoes now it's hard to keep up.   Just googled them, pricey.    :open_mouth:

I cancelled Pilates this morning so I could get 8 miles done.   Roads didn't dry up yesterday and we had frost, but the frost was due to clear by 6 a.m. so I was able to go out then and get my run done.   Hoping I don't lose anymore mileage this week due to ice.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Less than 11 weeks until Manchester!  Gulp!

I am toying with the idea of roughly following the P&D 12 week plan (yes, I know I just said it's less than 11 weeks away.... ;) ), mainly with the view of running sections of long runs at MP.  I have had another look at it and my races don't fit with their tune up race schedule in the plan, but that is okay as I don't mind moving things around to fit. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I know, time seems to be galloping on.

You're starting your Manchester plan from a very high level of marathon fitness so you should be able to tweak the plan to suit.

Just don't get injured with the speedwork  :'(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, that is the worry.  In the past it was the faster/shorter workouts that tended to cause injury, but I wonder if the MP sections would be less likely to lead to injury?  I know when I did my best time last year, I did something like 13 at MP in a longer run beforehand (I would have to go back and check my notes, but it was something like that) and it was a big confidence booster as much as anything.  But of course back then there weren't as many races going on whereas before Manchester I have two halfs where I should get to know how I am doing, without necessarily having to test things out in training.  With the races, I would have to move things around and be sure not to do too much so I will have a think about it a bit more.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure the MP sections of your long run would be less likely to lead to injury, especially for you as you are used to running marathons close together.   Maybe limit the faster/shorter workouts either by reducing the speed or the frequency.   It's always a good idea to look at your previous training and tweak where you think there is opportunity to do so.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good news,glad to hear it.
    Bradders-Great running,that 90 isn't far away at all.
    First run in 9 days today,leg still tender behind the knee but I want to run on holiday so decided to test it out,felt fine during the run so have to see how it is later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good news on the leg, hopefully the warm weather training will sort you out.  Enjoy your holiday.

Have entered Dublin and hotel booked, after lengthy time on the internet.   Felt like the pre pandemic days spending time sorting out race logistics.  😃
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Just seen you got in Dublin,congrats.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - when I paid the entry fee this morning there was no online admin fee added.  The admin fee of 3 euro was paid when I entered the ballot.   Weird system.

Couldn't see anywhere any indication of how many ballot places there were, but on the Facebook page there didn't seem to be any unsuccessful applicants.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good news about Dublin, Shades :)  

I did 8 miles yesterday and had a good run out on a flat route.  It was quite cloudy, but it wasn't too cold for me (just a  t-shirt and shorts). 

I do have a spot on the waiting list for Seville on 20th Feb, but I am not sure how likely I am to get a spot.  I joined the waiting list at the start of January when flights were cheap, so hopefully I will know soon enough, as currently flights are still cheap.  If they rocket in price, I won't bother though, even if I get notification of a spot.  I did see a comment on another marathon page saying the race had opened up the waiting list a couple of weeks ago, and people are starting to get entries.  We shall see :)    I have cancelled my hotel I had booked for the Shrewsbury event, as I won't be needing that.  It is looking like my 98th will either be Seville, Goodwood, or the local RED event (if they get their permissions), all of which are in February.
  • Fingers crossed for Seville then, Big G.

Had a rubbish run yesterday...it was misty and frosty early on so I waited for it to clear (and ended up having two breakfasts!!!) by which time it was lunchtime. I felt dreadful - not ill but legs were like lead and I felt uncoordinated and out of breath, so I canned it after two miles. No point flogging a dead horse.

I guess yesterday was a blip as I felt quite decent today. A balmy 5 degrees so I was able to go out early. Did 10 miles, starting in the dark, but once it got light (nice sunrise this morning) I decided to throw in three faster miles and pushed a little harder with each one. Enjoyed that, though it's a bit dismal to see how hard I have to push to achieve a 9 minute mile now. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Seville would be great for your 98th.  Have you done it before, or was it Ian who's run it?

What was the Shrewsbury event, one of Denzil's?

Cal - yesterday you might have just had a delayed reaction to the relief of the previous few days anxiety re your recall and now you've relaxed and moved on from that.  So able to have an enjoyable run today.    :)

Wednesday is normally my rest day but having lost Monday's run due to ice I was out at 5 a.m. for a lovely 5 miles, good conditions.   Didn't go any further as food shop day and I like to get out there early.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Cal, good news today was a better run for you.

Shades, I haven't done Seville before, I think it was Ian that has done it.  It is the same sponsors as Barcelona and San Sebastien (both of which I have done), so from that point of view I hope it should be a good one in terms of organisation etc.  I've never been to the city before either.   I was looking at Malta again, but that is the same day as Bideford Half and I do want to do that race as I haven't done it for several years now.  The other foreign ones I was looking at don't really fit for one reason or another.  The Shrewsbury event was one of Denzil's around the cycle track there, and I have done 3 events there before.  It is a couple of days before Goodwood so I was going to do both, but I managed to get an entry into the 2nd day at Davey's after we cancelled the snooker, so I managed to save the requirement/costs for that trip to Shrewsbury.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I just looked at the Shadies list and Ian did it in 2020.    There still seems to be some hesitation from a lot of runners for the big marathons, maybe because of travel, so hopefully you'll get a place in Seville.

Yes, as you're aiming for a marathon PB you really do want a fast half like Bideford in the plan.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Indeed I did Sevilla, very well organised and a fast course,the expo is a bit out the way,not as far as London but a metro ride away,got a jacket rather than a tshirt which i still wear on runs.I'd happily do it again.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, thanks. Hopefully I’ll get a space but we’ll have to see. 

11 miles in the morning sun today. A mixture of country roads, forest trails, farmland paths, sea views and seafront running, before running back through town to home. Very nice. 
  • Big G - How did you find San Sebastian? It’s high on my list due to the food. 

I also had a nice run. 5 miles around a shortened version of my usual common route and it was great to be back out there in the woods. Bursa remains dodgy but no worse than before.