Sub 3

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hope half marathons went well today for racers!

A much milder morning here today, and a very pleasant 11 miles.  I almost got hot running back up a hill on my way home.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Jools - I agree very warm! Tried to mizzle but held off and sunny by the end.

Stubby 10k - 38:54. The shoes were amazing. I went through halfway in about recent 5k PB time 19:19 which means pacing was pretty good (for me). I kept waiting to run headlong into the wall - burning myself for training not done - it never came. HR steadily rose the whole way. I’m absolutely buzzing and have definitely got my love of sport back. 
  • Jools - Love the comment, "very pleasant" and glad it was.
    Good idea to swerve the 10k TR  you have bigger fish to fry with Brighton on the horizon.
    Hope the race went well Wardi, look forward to hearing how it went.

Manchester marathon training has properly started, 16.5m this morning @ 7.50 mm, lovely morning again for it. 47m for the week, really pleased as when I got my rib injury at one stage gave up on January training. Shattered now. 

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Toro - nicely done at Stubby! Sounds like you need a 5k race next! 

TR - sounds like a sensible decision. Hopefully you're 100% asap. 

OO - bouncing back nicely. Well done. 

Wardi - I raced today as it happens. XC. A rather chastening experience as I was over 3.5 minutes quicker on the same course 6 years ago (course was a lot dryer today too) when I thought I was unfit. Lol. Good to be back at it though. I hope BM went well. 

Today was just what I needed - significantly slower than years ago and beaten by a lot of people who I'd normally be miles ahead of is just the incentive I need to keep on keeping on.
    It brought up a second 61m week, though more quality in this one - track Wednesday, 40mins steady (out of 90) on Thursday, and 2 x 1/4m hard yesterday, with today's 5.8m muddy fun. 

Jr had a good race too, despite it being a tough introduction to proper xc. He's fully hooked now!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well raced TT, even if it was a chastening  experience🤔  Good to see your lad enjoyed it too!

Toro.. congrats on the sub 39, celebrate well.🍾

OO.. that's a great run post sore ribs, yes lovely conditions today.

Jools.. I agree, very reassuring to get a sweat on after recent chilly temps; nice 11m done.

Perfect conditions and quite a stacked field at the Brass Monkey. 65.28 for the winner which is 7 secs shy of Marders' course record from 10 years ago, 65.32 for 2nd.  64 runners broke 75 mins.
    1.41 for me, a decent level paced run which was nearly 2 mins quicker than my last half in Sept so progress of sorts.
    Nice to see CharlieW again, he was delighted to break 80 mins again with 1.19.37.

A curry and a few beers seem very tempting after that.🌶🥃

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Jools - top running weather of course today, as i was training inside.

Toro - good to see you enjoyed it, better than running on deck. Faster than planned too. I have a pair of Next %, i dont think they are any quicker for me, just seem soft. But i did run a big neg split at vlm so maybe they do something.

Good to see you enjoying a race too TT, xc is proper racing for positions.

OO - good couple of runs banked in recent days.

Good to see you go well wardi, enjoy the beers. I noted Charlie went well.

Took the doggy to the seafront earlier and thought that Toro had decent conditions. Turbo intervals ticked off. Brighton training starts tomorrow. Stubby was going to be the marker 12 wks out, but i have Chichester 10k in 3 wks anyway, and Goodwood 1/2 the following week, so they will be good markers.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    https://totriornottotri.wordpress.com/2022/01/16/stubbington-10k/ Did some bloggage

Yes TR good conditions. 

Well done Wardi - last bit of celebrating then I need to go full Ironman training mode. Work tomorrow.

OO - nice run - good to be back at it.

TT - sometimes those shocks are just what we need.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I enjoyed reading that Toro, love a happy positive ending. Its fantastic to get surprises on what we can do, on days like this. Your in better shape than you think. Very well done.

Congratulations to you too Wardi, 1.41 is very decent indeed. 

Well done to you too TT, so pleased your feeling very positive after your race and sure much quicker next time. 
  • Great blog Toro! 

Saturday was the final race in the North Midlands XC league. We literally just needed to finish a team (not as easy as it sounds since most of our ladies are injured or have Covid right now) in order to win. It nearly didn't happen as our no.1 lady, Martha, is reliant on public transport and the trains were cancelled. I sent my friend Stuart off to collect her. We still made it in time. Martha has been injured but made it round in one piece, which was enough to secure her the over all title and 1st senior lady. I was feeling rubbish thanks to disturbed sleep and it being the anniversary of mum's death, but made it round to secure 1st veteran over all (they gave me that rather than V40 because the V35s were so far behind) and our last scorer Jo managed to pip her rival to technically 2nd V40 but the prize for 1st since they'd given me the 35s prize. Confusing I know! Then the three of us took the team prize. Essentially for the whole league we've been a team of 3 or at most 4 runners, but we won over all, senior, veteran, V40 and the team competition. 
  • CC2 - Domination of the league, well done, on a personal and team level. Must feel good.
    TR - Good luck with the marathon buildup. Hopefully a good spring season and conditions on the day.
    Wardi - decent half that and clearly a quick race although there's a bit of elevation in there isn't there?
    TT - Good to see you back out there and racking up some miles.

Unfortunately my last post was a slight false dawn. Knee pain is not going away with rest and a little stretching. So physio has me stretching 3 times a day every day at the moment. He can't say exactly why it's so stubborn this time (and he conceded that I am more flexible than I was when I first saw him in the summer) but he said unless I loosen up everything below the waist (because it's all very tight) I just won't be able to run injury free. So all of the stretching won't necessarily get me out running again but long-term it has to be beneficial. So we'll see how that goes and just hope i'm running again by the summer. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. sorry to hear of your continuing niggle..  I got cortisone in a troublesome knee many years ago, I had fallen on it twice and couldn't bend it properly.  Normal function was restored with a few days.  Not sure if it would help in your case but desperate measures & all that.

CC2.. that's very impressive team work- both the running and the taxi service!  Many congrats on the prize haul.

Just over 5m in the sun this morning, my legs feel very tender as expected. 🤔
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for you, Joe.

A pleasant 6 miles through the frost this morning.  It's nice to be able to turn the headtorch off part way through!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done CC, nice.

Joe - thats a shame i was hoping youd be back at it soon.

SJ - how are you doing

Jools- was super icey here today !

Got on the Brighton plan yday with 13m commute home, groin was achey but no weakness/collapsing, so progress. 5m and 6m easy double today. Acid test will be some 3min intervals or +10% in tomorrow's 10m, havnt done any quicker running since dec 1st. Will play it by ear.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Thats tremendous CC. Really well done to you and the team. 
    Really sorry to hear that Joe. I've used Flexiseq very successfully in the past for painful and troublesome knees.  It has a good reputation, and easily obtainable from Amazon. Worth a go? 
    TR - A good few days training. Good luck for tomorrow's session. And so the Brighton plan begins!
    Jools - Nice 6m.
    Wardi - Bet that's a good pain, if there is such a thing.

2*5m doubles today, 1 very slow with the 🐕 the second a bit of a TT on a nearby grassy slightly muddy field @ 6.20 mm. Slightly surprised and pleased with that run. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good miles TR, congrats on staying upright today and glad the niggles were tolerable. I've got a slightly weak psoas muscle post the half but it's not too troublesome.

OO.. nice double today and good speed in the 2nd run.

Legs were a lot better today so managed a 4m + 7m double.  Out with the club tonight, a bit of frost but no ice  thankfully.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Wardi - nice improvement on September and it sounds like you recovered well.
    Toro - nice run (and write up)!
    joe - sorry to read that! Fingers crossed you can find a solution and get back to running.
    TR - hopefully the quicker running went well for you!
    Feet and shins were a little tender after frolicking in the mud but 9m easy on Monday had a decent rhythm/feel to it. Yesterday I had a mini hills+stuff session - 3m up, 1m @ 5:54, 5min jog, 4 x 45s hills (75s recoveries), and finished with a 3m @ 7:09 (brisk in my parlance) for a total of 8.5m.
    Circumstances have made it all single runs so far this week (including today). Lighter grass session shortly with Jr to give him a leg stretch ahead of his schools counties xc race this weekend (no track this week due to a 21st birthday meal celebration today).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you both coped well with yr races sunday TT and wardi

10m inc 12x3min/30 sec, body groaned a bit but not too bad, average pace was a bit slow for the 42min, but it took me a few reps to get moving. Ticked off, onwards and upwards, nice to hsve pit in a bit of physical and mental investment for the big dance.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. good mixed session there and nice to see you encouraging junior!

TR.. must be a bit of a relief to get through that session but good that your body didn't protest too much.

I often think a decent night's sleep is as good as anything for a fatigued body.  My cause wasn't helped on Sunday night when the security alarm went off at 4.40am!  

10.5m today, my various aches are all improving so enjoyed the run in the sun despite a stiff breeze.

• Wardi - cortisone could be a way to go although doesn't appear to be more than a short term measure? Good mileage from you. Has seemingly been a decent winter so far in terms of ice.
    OO - thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if it helps in my case as a non joint related issue. However, we're getting towards desperation stations so you never know!
    TT - good luck to the junior in his xc. you're hitting some sharp paces in your sessions. Looking good.
    Joolska - we need more light in the mornings. real struggle getting up in the dark. had a 6.45 massage this morning.

Stretching is not going as well as expected. It has felt OK but today there's tightness in behind the knee. there's a particular stretch that I think might be hindering more than helping. Massage guy thinks I should get an MRI and look for ligament damage.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Joe - 6.45 am !!   You must be a prince or a king or something.

Double day and 2 very different runs.  This morning, 8m and a proper undulating forest trail,  you could easily have thought you were in the Alps, and I saw a deer!  This afternoon, a 5m bimble round and round on my local muddy field as needed a nice soft surface to run out, saw a black lamb.  

Getting colder!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. that forest trail sounds pleasant, is that close to home?  Nice double BTW.

Joe.. re. Cortisone, the oft stated belief that the benefit wears off after a while is not my experience.  It is quite simply a very powerful anti inflammatory that soothes the affected area very quickly.  This allows the injury or niggle to heal much faster than normal.  I've been treated with it numerous times and in my case the pain/inflammation has never returned.  Very impressed by a 06.45 massage!

I was near my old place of work today so enjoyed a pretty run up the riverbank trail north of York. I often did this after work back in the day.  7m + 3.5m today, chilly but sunny so an enjoyable run.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Good going on the 10miler wardi

Joe - i was expecting a 6.45am massage to be a bit more saucy.......i defo agreed with too much stretching or rehab annoying things, i could give myself doms day after day and never fully adapt if i tried to.

OO - good to keep off the ice. I did the minimal this morning as it was so icey.

5m and 6m. Groin moaned thumping down the hill on the way home. Will see how it goes. But id rather run most of the commutes rather than bike when is so icey and cold.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    6.45am massage?  Ye gods, what time does your sports masseur get up?!  (My alarm may go off at 6am, but after I've fed the cats I go back to bed with a pint of tea before I try to face the world properly)

Careful, TR.  But you know that.

A very chilly 6 miles this morning.  Beautiful frost, but I chose the wrong gloves.
  • He's just one of those guys. The sort who gets into the gym for 5am and goes from there.

Joolska - I have sympathy for people actually running this week. went for a walk last night and my face was cold!
    TR - haha. yes I'd definitely swerve the bike in these conditions. 
    Wardi - interesting. I'll have to discuss that with the physio when I next see him. I feel like I need to do something above stretching or strength given this has hung around for about 12 weeks so far with little improvement.

It's the box hill fell race tomorrow. It was postponed last year but my streak of running it since 2014 (I think) will be ended. Going down anyway to watch and have a few drinks afterwards. Curious to see the top guys whizzing around (my mind boggles when I see the times and they've finished 15 mins ahead of me on a 7.5 mile course)
  • Didn't we talk about washing machines on here a lot at one time? I'm sure it was here. It's just that I got a new one today and felt the need to mention it. It's black, obvs, so finally after 7 years my kitchen is all matching. Couldn't justify replacing it when I had the kitchen done as there was nothing wrong with the old Beko, other than that it was white and didn't match. It was already at least 7 years old then. I didn't anticipate having to wait so long for it to go wrong so I could justify buying a new one. The new one is, confusingly, a Hoover. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    You ever do Ballbuster, CD used to smash it, i did it once and copped an awful day, no surprise.

CC - this is the place, i daily regret getting an LG instead of the usual Bosch, and it shakes the crap out of my kitchen.

5+6  yday and today, stupidly icey both mornings, both days the long decent on the way home gave me some more grin/quad issues, other leg today. Still thinks its nerve related, will have to go back to running once a day and take more care as jools says, but need some warmer bike commute weather.

Was hoping to do my first 20 of the build tomorrow, i am able to get on the flat which will help, will have to do small loops and see how it goes.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CC2.. I too have a gothic black (Samsung) washer, trouble free for 2 years.  It's in our garage so noise not a problem.  I also bought a huge box of Daz today.

TR..  hope the long run goes well, though have a couple of easier days if you feel any further aches & strains.

Jools.. always merino wool gloves for me in winter unless it is very mild.

5.2m in the sun this morning.  I'm up in the Toon this weekend so a local Parkrun beckons tomorrow.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 miles with some strides this morning.

Wardi: I had thin merino gloves on yesterday.  I think with the wind-chill I need my Sealskinz.  I was out quite a bit later today and so was fine in the thin merino gloves.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - wye aye pet !

Jools - was bloody cold here again today.

After no long run last weekend due to niggles, i had planned on my first 20 today, but after more issues in the last couple of days id take 16 or 18. Did 8 easy, than tried to speed up, but it set my leg off, so i headed for home back at easy pace. Leg eased, so kept adding on extra bits until id trudged the full 20, with only the odd wibble. So on the plus side good time on feet, with 20 av 8.1X ish, and i finished feeling like id only been for a walk.
    Thank fck that running week is over, way too much toddling around in the cold. I was hoping to keep warm with a nice block of miles at +10% today. Back to mostly singles this week, 11 wks to go so plenty of time to come good. Turbo tomorrow, so no running until monday evening.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR..  you did well to grind that one out, I agree re. the chilly weather though it is at least dry up here.  Roll on Spring!

Jools.. I usually wear 2 pairs of merino gloves if the temps drop below 2-3 degrees or the wind chill is severe enough.  I once ran a very cold half marathon with a hand warmer inside the gloves!

Splashed around a revised Rising Sun Parkrun course yesterday (fallen trees on the original route since I was last there.
    Got out for 5.5m before my family hosts awoke this morning.  I have felt a bit creaky at times this week so happy enough with a cut back week of 52m.