Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Smashing parkrun, OO.
    Nice day for it, Jools. I did my 16 LSR yesterday and started in fog. After the first mile my hands were very cold as I'd not worn my thickest gloves.

Temps warmed near the end and I found some better energy to finish a tad quicker. Good signs.

5 mile recovery today scores 48 for the week.
    50 miles planned for next week and every week from now on.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, well done on parkrun. I agree the alphafly are at their worst over 5k, I think the sponginess is counter productive at that pace. They are more for cruise setting so 10m races upwards. 

Sounds very pleasant, Jools. 

It was pretty cold yesterday morning, gdawg, I was out at junior football for a 9am ko. Looks like you are building nicely. 

Saw chiropractor yesterday as he uses other methods of treatment to my physio. Had a session of needling into hammy followed by red light therapy. Woke this morning with a dull ache in muscle which is a sign it is healing, bit like when an external injury itches. The red light therapy has best affects on a cumulative basis so back in Wednesday for that and needles then Saturday for just red light. Also seeing physio Friday for massage. 

I'm hoping all that and another week of healing should see me right. I can now walk without really feeling anything and lift through right leg to get out of a car etc. 

40 mins this morning on spin bike. Pushed on to a reasonably steady effort which was good. Will probably try doing that each day now, for nothing else than to burn some calories. It's almost impossible to not put a lb or two on when on zero exercise. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done Dawg, sounds like you are adapting

DT - the red light therapy made me chuckle, sounds like you're healing up.

I had a 10k planned for today as a marker 12 wks out ftom Brighton, but have had a groin issue this week that feels like a nerve or sciatica type thing with a bit of pain but the leg going weak and trying to collapse. Probably something pinched, probably lower back. I think its easing off.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Shame you missed your 10k TR but makes sense.
    Needles in your leg sounds grim DT.
    Nice long runs GD and Jools.
    I skipped the long run for XC relays and my old boys team won the V55 race. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the victory, oo. 

I had them through my middle back at same time. I've had them in my glute, groin, hip and calf previously, you don't feel a great deal but I find it effective. 

Tr, shame about the 10k, though not worth taking any chances. 

Ha, yes, I can see why you read it in such a manner. 
  • I wish you could pace me round a parkrun OO! 

DT, that sounds hellish. I had dry needing done once years ago and it was agony. My muscles spasmed so hard the needles bent. Never again!

Shame about the 10k TR, but sounds like a wise decision.

Saturday was the final race in the North Midlands XC league. We literally just needed to finish a team (not as easy as it sounds since most of our ladies are injured or have Covid right now) in order to win. It nearly didn't happen as our no.1 lady, Martha, is reliant on public transport and the trains were cancelled. I sent my friend Stuart off to collect her. We still made it in time. Martha has been injured but made it round in one piece, which was enough to secure her the over all title and 1st senior lady. I was feeling rubbish thanks to disturbed sleep and it being the anniversary of mum's death, but made it round to secure 1st veteran over all (they gave me that rather than V40 because the V35s were so far behind) and our last scorer Jo managed to pip her rival to technically 2nd V40 but the prize for 1st since they'd given me the 35s prize. Confusing I know! Then the three of us took the team prize. Essentially for the whole league we've been a team of 3 or at most 4 runners, but we won over all, senior, veteran, V40 and the team competition. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Speedy sounds epic. Get yourself back to Whitley Bay parkrun and I'll pace you anytime 😉
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's a cracking set of results, Speedy. Congrats to you and the team!

After six consecutive running days, it's a rest day here, even wearing a jumper that says it.  :)

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Got out today. Double gloves required, Brrr!
    Felt I needed to push a bit so opted for a 10 miler made up of alternate mile intervals, 7.1x and 6.4x pace (x5). Hit all the splits and averaged 6.56. Needed that as a confidence booster. Injury niggles improving, so just got to keep this slow build-up approach, seems to be working.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a decent haul, Speedy. You e done well on the xc front this January. 

Gdawg, that's a good session there. I still don't know how you can run out of the front door at that pace unless you live at the top of a hill! 

Covid seems to have passed through the house now infecting no one but my wife. Quite bizarre really given its transmissibility. 

I've been doing some decent bike sessions since Sunday with some proper work outs last two days. Will go over lunchtime just for a steady pedal today. 

Leg feels much better now, can work about, bolt up stairs, lift myself up using right leg etc without feeling a thing. Lewis has suggested a trial run Sunday, which I think is feasible as that gives me 4 more days and three different physio sessions. After each of the two I've had so far I've noticed a big improvement. Last few days I've broken into a few laps around my kitchen. There's still a little pull in there but it feels less each day. 

I get the impression Lewis doesn't want me going off to Great Bentley to race a half in 17 days time! My whole cycle to Manchester is becoming a bit messy now what with us probably going back to office week after next. Plus, Spain will not allow entry to anyone 12 or above who isn't double vaccinated. My son turns 12 in April and my wife's dad lives in lanzarote and we have decided not to let him have the vaccine therfore we can't go after April. Therefore she is very keen to go Feb half term as it's half the cost of Easter. I've agreed on basis that it's expected from her that I will train as if not on hols. Hopefully can coincide it with a cut back week so nothing too heavy. 

That means Wokingham is out for me and thinking, assuming I can get going again next week, I'm better off just focusing purely on Manchester. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm in Keswick this weekend and will have a crack at the parkrun V55 record which is 17:59. Its a big ask but worth a crack.
    Mainly swimming so far this week as my foot was a bit sore.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - two good decisions, hopefullyit gives your body the time it needs.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Holiday now booked so Wokingham is definitely out. Great Bentley very unlikely, I'll be gutted though if the results aren't stacked with sub 80 times from v45 runners! 

Bit more spinning and physio last night. Feels a bit sorer today, hopefully that's just from last night's chiropractor appointment. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good planning there, DT. Hope the leg is healing well. Sounds like you're close to the danger stage where we feel fit enough to run but come back too soon. I'm an expert at that!
    Shame about Wokey but on the plus side, I'll finish one place higher, so thanks for that.  :D

Plugging away here, 8 miles with hill attacks yesterday and 6 easy very muddy trails today.
    When the tight hammies and glutes suddenly go away, I'm feeling pretty strong. It'll come.
    First 20 of the campaign next on Saturday, should hit 51 for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Good if you can hit 20 so soon GD. I might try for 18 on Sunday but that's not easy in the Lakes. I'll be lucky to hit 45 this week but 3-4 swims makes up the shortfall. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - i used to update a mate (who was a good runner) after a race, id sometimes say something like "30 secs quicker and id have gone sub xx" or "an AG place higher and id have placed xx".......he used to reply with "if my mum had bollocks she'd be my dad".........you will unfortunately have no control over the m45 results due to your hammy. Getting in good shape for Manc will be your aim. You'll be going well if you're back to regular running in 2 weeks time and then you only have 8 wks to Manchester. Focus n the controllables. Best of luck with it, i hope to see you go well at Manc.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Or - to quote from a childhood favourite, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - "if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bus"!

6 miles this morning.  Beautiful frost, but a bit parky, and definitely should have had thicker gloves on.

Continued healing vibes to DT.  
    Nice to hear GD sounding optimistic.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I got the parkrun v55 record at Keswick with a 17:55. It nearly killed me but just snuck under by 4 secs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for you OO

DT - did you do the test run today ?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, oo, congrats. 

Tr, yes, did a 90 minute ride on spin bike over lunch then just been out for 15 x 1 min run off 1 min walk. Physio said I should expect manageable discomfort that doesn't progress. At first I was a liilttle surprised and disappointed by the discomfort and thought I'd not make 15 reps but it was manageable and I'd say the last 5 were if anything less uncomfortable. 

Got it on ice now as per physios instructions. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's great news DT hope it felt OK next day too 🤞
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - thats a goos starting point. Just as well you've sacked off the 1/2s. What is the running plan for the week?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, oo. 

Tr, what was apparent tonight was that with the best intentions possible  my hamstring will not be strong enough to race a half in 14 days. 

I think with my recent training, I can pull it together for a decent crack at Manchester , but even that is looking like it might need a compromised target. 

Not sure, Lewis messaged late afternoon saying he was doing his planning but I hadn't been out. He's now said stick with bike tomorrow and he do rest of week tomorrow morning. I dont think it'll involve much though. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Fantastic work in Keswick, OO. Well done, Sir!

Good to see the well managed comeback, DT. Hope it continues without further complication.

The thought of a solo 20 miler under grey skies through boring streets on Saturday was a grim one, so I decided to take the risk and join a couple of mates (training for an ultra in Madeira in April) in the Surrey Hills. I was initially concerned that the cold weather would mean frozen, heavily rutted mud with danger of turning an ankle. I needn't have worried as the conditions were not as cold as forecast and the mud situation was fine.

Had an excellent run along the trails up to Box Hill and back down again via Denbies wine estate. Plenty of uphill providing strength work for a hard earned 20 miles.

6 mile recovery yesterday to bag 51 for the week.
    Time to reset and go again...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Going well, gdawg. 

I went out yesterday for 15 x 90s run off 30s walk so progression from Sunday. Very similar discomfort to Sunday but no worse dispute the longer run and shorter rest. 

Back out Friday now as I have physio again tomorrow. We've arrived at the conclusion that I just need someone to work the muscle quite robustly now. The massages I've had so far have been quite light. So hoping that's what happens this week. 

In the meantime I'll just keep working on the bike. I've managed to keep my weight in check though, weighed pretty much same today as I did day before injury, albeit that weight was higher than normal as the back end of Xmas weight. Hopefully I'll shed a few lb easily once back up to speed. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    At least you're back running DT, you'll be flying once the discomfort passes.
    I prefer company for my long runs GD. Did a slow 14 trail run with my neighbour on Sunday, then snuck back out later to add 10k and meet my weekly target of 50. Thats my 1st 20 miler of the campaign albeit it in 2 parts.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Belated congrats to OO on the course record.

Glad to hear that the comeback runs have not made things worse, DT.  Fingers crossed with careful management you can build on those.

Nice 20M, GD.

I've had to do my court hearings in person this week, which has interfered with internet usage.  Anyway, rest on Monday, 5M yesterday and 5M today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Is good or bdd news for you Jools to return to the workplace- I'm assuming bad?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - sounds like you'll be doing well to run strongly at Manchester let alone those 1/2s you had planned.