Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Very good, Bradders, especially given the covid disruption. Big PB! Agreed with Jools that Village Bakery is a fast course. I enjoyed PMJ’s comments and tend to agree that a small positive split tallies with my PBs at least. Although a negative split can feel brilliant and I guess you have to weigh up what you will prefer to look back on in the long run.

Long runs (and weeks) building for you, Reg.

Looked a good XC route from your photos, SG. Wider trails giving it a bit more space in certain areas? Sounds a lovely variety of terrain though. Nice finish and a great team result for you guys.

Sounds like the RD gave everyone full liberty to take the racing line, Pete! That is a massive club turn out. A couple of fast road races entered there. The age group stuff seems to be picking up a bit more momentum.

Saw your XC SC. If that is the place you come it must be some incredible quality there!

Good long run, Jools. Sounds a very sensible week 😊

Somehow got to a 70M week with an easy buggy half on the Sunday. 8:40 pace but didn’t feel that easy to be fair. Pretty achey after, which I guess isn’t too surprising.

5M recovery yesterday and then the final VO2 intervals on the plan this morning. Headed to the racecourse this morning as there are quarter miles marked out for Black Pear Joggers’ magic mile in the summer. I am sure I saw them there recently, but they have obviously been covered in leaves/worn off by recent weather.

Anyway, converted 2 x 1200, 2 x 1000, 2 x 800 into 2 x 4:30, 2 x 3:45 and 2 x 3:00 off about two thirds rest intervals. Worked hard, but again struggled to get to any real pace. Probably around 6:25 down to 6:15s. 10M at 7:35 average.

Hope to back this up with a longer run tomorrow morning.

Oh – and have bitten the bullet and entered Manchester!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of hours on feet SQ, adding in the Buggy slower sesh into an already high log of miles.

Manchester gets a lot of my club's runners hot too :)

8.5 today for the usual medium long mid-weeker. Usually two options, steep grassy bank version for 8, or bit further out and more undulating woody/ploughed field version for 9, so went for the former but with a little bolt on.

Single today, and a decent post XC recovery. Will look to get a sesh in Friday of some description.
  • The mud is getting everywhere around here. Most of my off-road routes are now over a minute a mile slower than usual but I just had a look at SG's Strava track and his 7:27 average route has bits offroad at 12:xx so I'm not alone.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Lolz, that grassy mound is more a muddy mound at the moment, and the peak, and subsequent gate hurdle, do not make pretty reading for the pace boys.
  • Big week there SQ, nice one. You can't resist a marathon can you :-).

No slow mud for me today as I fancied a tempo effort. The plan that I am no longer following but taking inspiration from, had a 40 minute tempo down as part of 10 miles so I adapted it slightly and did 3k warm up, 10k tempo and 3k cool down. 

10k came out at 36 minutes or 5:48 pace and was pretty comfortable, definitely a gear below race day effort so hopefully on track for the main target.
  • Reg Wand said:

10k came out at 36 minutes or 5:48 pace and was pretty comfortable, definitely a gear below race day effort so hopefully on track for the main target.
    Definitely time to cash in on that speed. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's all about not nobbling yourself now I'd say.
  • Indeed, only 5 weeks to go to Wokingham and I am also contemplating a sharpener of some sort beforehand. Either a Parkrun or a 10k tune up. I don't think I will risk a PB attempt before Wokingham though. 10k is 34:20 so not sure I fancy that hard an effort and I don't think i can cruise that out either  :D 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    It really depends on how you're defining "comfortable" and how 5.48 relates to your zones.

I'll do a 6.10-6.15 6mile tempo, but I wouldn't necessarily say the 6.10-6.15 is "comfortable" as such, but I've recently raced a 5.43 5miler so compared to it looks very comfy.
    But the beauty of race day is the perceived effort is masked by the magic on the day.

• Well I have my average HR which was 169 today. Typical HM is usually about 178 so conservatively I'd say I have 6-8 beats to play with to allow for a bit of cardiac drift. So purely based on those numbers I should be able to run 1:14. Who knows though, hard to be confident when you've got a PB of 1:18:37 and you're 6 years older!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    No idea on the old HR stuff myself, but even allowing for my cautious style of talking about race times, without any shadow of a doubt you will smash that pb as long as you get there in mint(ish) condition :)

And although the XC stuff isn't always a great translation versus road, you've been in and around someone with a 1:15:xx HM so for certain that sort of bracket. Just depends whether it's above or below, but I refer you to the end of my first paragraph :)

As a minimum I don't want to be passing you at any point like other Wokinghams :D
    (Not that I'm even sure I'm up for a hm of course!)
  • I have Reading as a potential back up race so if something goes wrong at Wokingham, I'll do it at Reading where I've always gone a bit quicker. I think it's having that mark in the sand at Wokingham and then layering a few more weeks training on top, usually gives me another minute or so.

Checking PO10 you have a winning record of 6-5 against me, 6 HMs for you and 5 TVXC for me  :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I best not risk any HMs for a bit then :D 

Had to check back on my record, and I've done 3 at Reading. The last one was 2015, which was the one I'd blagged an "elite" vest, and probably due to not wanting to come last man with a name on, plus that magical water boost at 10miles, gave me my 2nd best ever time.

Just 4 months later was that infamous Wycombe debacle/collapse that threatened the whole racing life.

Talk about 2 races over a fairly short timescale to show the ups and downs of a runner!
  • SQ - Yes Surrey League is ridiculous now, has been for a while. Incredibly in 2013 I was 11th in one of the races! That level would get me 40-50th now I reckon.

Luton on Tuesday night was hard, 1k-2k-3k-2k-1k off 90. The Adios 6 weren't helping, I can't send them back now so will try and flog them for £40 as I have only worn them for 3 times. So clumpy...It must be the thick forefoot cushioning, It is just so less responsive as compared to the 4's and 5's. Found the 3k really hard, think it was 10.36. 3.16 for the last Kilometer. 

Nothing much before the Fred Hughes 10 on Sunday in St.Albans.
  • I did my annual pilgrimage in the honour of SG along the A40 between Beaconsfield and Loudwater: the only upside is that it has a decent footpath but even that is being dug up and resurfaced so I had to run in the busy road and that made it, ahem, more interesting. Maybe when I revisit it next year the work will be done and it will be back to boring.
  • Impressive 10K cruise that Reg. Wokey's looking promising for you.
    Simon: bad luck with the Adios 6.
    I needed a new marathon shoe so looked at the latest Boston's,the10, but they're not the same shoe at all. Fortunately Wiggle still had some 9s in my size which aren't too dissimilar to the 8 - might even suit me more as the toe box is roomier. Still prefer feel of the 6 which were my first iteration.
    What's the target on Sunday?
    Double track Tuesday with 16x200m at lunch & 800/1200/1600/1600/1200/800 off 2' in the evening with FoDAC.
    9M hilly plod in the dark & mud last night to bag another Trig pillar.
    5M on the track at lunch: 5x4' off 2' float. The efforts were each around a K & the floats were a bit over 400m, averaged 7:04 for the session.

• I just got an email from the forum:

You earned the 100 LOLs badge.

As I am an old bugger I had to google that but I don't lick orange lollipops. 

LOLLiar of Lies
    LOLLovelock, Derby Field Airport, Nevada (IATA code)
    LOLLeaping over Leprechans
    LOLLick Orange Lolipops
    LOLLaughing on Lipitor (senior texting)
    LOLLots Off Load Shedding
    LOLLesbians of Love

• LOL, Phil.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Just don't be one of those numpties who thinks it stands for lots of love.

And worry people replying "lol" to all sorts of bad news.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Freezing cold today, so thought I wouldn't risk any pavements or bother going all the way to the track, so utilised the big park next door for a 12x0.25m off 60secs job.
    2 skin layers and gloves, and still could barely feel my hands after!

Essential to get a sesh in though with the first half of the week being post XC recovery.

Never going to hit either the consistency or the paces of the track, but it felt hard, so it must have been decent!

A couple under 1.20, a couple at 1.23 and one outlier of 1.25 which must have been the worst combo of the harder direction and most rutted footing.

But averaged around a mid 1.21, so mid Jan not in short distance training, on grass, freezing cold that's probably decent knockings, and bearing in mind it's the slightly longer 0.25m, not 400m too.
  • Well played SG, I planned to run straight after dropping the girls at school but I decided I'd wait for it to warm up  :)

Hamstrings have been a bit tight after the tempo so just a very easy recovery on the bike yesterday.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Always a rude awakening when you step down to the more intense efforts, but at least on a park you can dress up the lack of consistency as being down to different routes/conditions on them :D 

Look forward to my usual Friday lunch 4miler one now, first half a right climb in the woods, but second half cigar fare. And then lovely Saturday lie in :)

Need to get on and enter a few races before I put myself off too!
  • Really interesting to see the increase in depth of quality in the Surrey League, SC. I wonder what is behind that? Great to see though – even if less so for the ego. Shit news on the Adios 6 ☹. I enjoyed the Fred Hughes 10M ten years ago. Good luck!

Good speed from SG out in the real world.

Reg is right, I do love a marathon. Usually the best value for money! You are faster than me, Reg. But 5:48s in training feels unimaginably hard. Stay fit in the run up to Wokey!

Managed to back up Tuesday’s intervals with another two hour canal long run on Wednesday morning. My body seems to quite like running long the day after intervals – weird. Anyway, a pleasant 16M at 7:25 pace.

Recovery yesterday (5M at 8:40s), then another canal this morning - 10M with 10 x 30s fast, 90s slow on the return. Average pace marginally slower than Wednesday?!

Just over a week until the Staverton 10M. Looking forward to seeing Jools there.

• SQ - Yes going to have to get rid of them for £40 or so. clean them up etc and see what I can do. the 5's are still in Start Fitness. Surrey League wise - teams like Hercules Wimbledon and South London Harriers have filled up with decent runners, Belgrave have got loads better.

Jools - Just going to give the Vapourfly a run out and aim for 58 I suppose. Not ran that far a decent lick for a while.

SG - Decent session. Roads were 'sticky' here rather than slippy this morning.
  • Bit of an all over week for me this week.

Yesterday was 8 miles steady with 3 of those into a wind with a windchill of -1 without gloves and I couldn’t feel my hands for over an hour when I got home as I have Raynauds… lesson learnt there!

10 x 3 mins today with 1 min jog rest, 3 mins avg pace around 6:35 which felt comfortable, though hard towards reps 7/8. Had a helpful tailwind for most. With warm up, cool down and strides ended up with around 10 miles so not too bad going on a Saturday morning.

18 miles tomorrow - already dreading it! 😅
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    That tailwind will flatter the rep pace:effort ratio xbx, good session nevertheless.
    Enjoy the LR tomorrow.
    Best of luck with the Fred Hughes tomorrow Simon. You’ve done plenty of proper LRs only a min/mile slower without cheat shoes, be interesting to see how much the Vaporfly give you.
    Parkrun today in 20:39 which is 30” quicker than my last 2 runs on that course but it was significantly drier today. My daughter came along again, her 3rd in a row, knocking over 2’ off last week’s time to bag an 8” parkrun PB.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Thought the rule of wind was if you're going into it you feel every little bit massively, but actually feeling and benefitting from a tail wind is the stuff of myth :)

Decent work nonetheless Bradders, perhaps similar to 800s at 10k pace type fare.

Jools, always good to see a very real improvement, although like you say conditions do affect it massively.

I did some of the Wycombe parkrun course as a warm up before Friday's run and the bits that were slippy as anything on the Christmas day parkrun were rock solid. Expect that would have given a faster time, but all good training either way.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Excellent training Reg, SG, Simon and Bradders. All different goals but all looking well set to achieve them. Good to see your parkrun form returning Jools.

Crap day for me. Feeling shattered since xc and sought a sports massage midweek. She gave the all clear so did parrkun today, but calf tore again 4k in. Had been going quite well and somehow got through the last k to still finish in 19'35 but can barely walk now. So another long period on the sidelines and the same old injury back again. 
  • Ah shit, Pete, that's annoying. Hopefully not too bad a tear and you can get back to it sooner than you think. 

Re wind, I actually think we've had remarkably good weather this winter, hardly any wind to speak of the last couple of weeks. I was out early this morning, expected it to feel cold but the lack of wind chill made for a rather pleasant jaunt. I think I actually prefer running in the cold when it's like that, just to have no sweat makes such a difference. 15 miles this morning at a standard sort of pace (7:19). Felt a bit tired towards the end with tight hamstrings and feet a bit sore from all the thudding. Think I'll do a bit more on trails next week. 48.9 for the week just beating last week's 48.8  :). Cut back next week to about 40 I think but I will try and put some quality in to the long run, perhaps finishing it with a parkrun.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Reg, and totally agree about those cold, still days like today!  Like most on here, I'm hoping it all stays together for you injury-wise, as you are on fire at them moment with a decent block of running....

That's not good Pete - hopefully it feels worse than it is and recovery will be quick. Fingers crossed!

Back to a "proper" long run distance today (I always think of 13M being the start of "proper" long run territory :smile:)  A hilly, but pleasant off-roader of 13.4M.  Despite feeling sluggish to start, it was actually OK, and I ran the last mile faster than any other, which felt good! Hamstring was ok, but tripped over a sign buried in undergrowth at one point, landed heavily on my shoulder and thought I'd dislocated it for a moment! Luckily the pain  was short lived and I managed to carry on, with no further ill-effects after it had warmed back up.

So a reasonable block of weeks over 40M, but not yet ready for any real speedwork as that seems to be what irritates the hamstring more than anything.