Overdone it?

Comments

• Happy New Year all, better late than never ...

Glad you're well Pete ... I had flu in the week or so leading up to Christmas and ended up having more than 2 weeks off as I was pretty wiped out by it. Before that I had to take a cut back in mileage as my shins were getting incredibly sore.

So, I got back to running at the start of January, beginning with one run, then two runs, and eventually 4 runs for a 21 mile week last week, with a parkrun being the icing on the cake. I didn't expect to improve but did just dip under 20 mins with 19.57 at my benchmark course. However Muddy Jr. has covid right now, and I expect I'll pick it up from him and the running to be disrupted again ...

Sorry to hear about the injury DT but it's well timed for a winter break.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Muddy, decent progress all in then off that disruption. My wife had covid start of January and we made no effort in our house to keep away from each other and no one else caught it so you might be OK. 

The injury is a footballing one not running. Dad's and lads game, very frustrating. 

Mr v, yes, no doubt a few more months and you can start looking at a few races with a view yo chasing pbs. 

If I hadn't been injured now and missed a few weeks she'd have been less understanding! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    DT, commiserations.

I have an image of you absolutely thundering into a stretching lunge to stop some absolute random old bloke getting a cross in :D 

Fingers crossed for a quick return.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sg, I over extended to cut out a fairly harmless cross put in by another middle aged man! 

Never again! Got two half marathons in February which were England age group qualifiers that I felt I had half a chance in. They are gone now! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I was huge into my footy, used to be 3-4 times a week stuff.

But once I started getting properly into the running mid/late 20s, you just subconsciously slow up a bit, avoid getting knocks, and that's the time to quit it really.
    The idea of smashing a ball full on I couldn't even imagine. My leg would probably go with it!

A few races blown, but luckily we look to have the full racing landscape to pick from for the rest of 2022 at least.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    So I've  started some running with run/walk, slowly building the run portions. Sunday and Tuesday there was discomfort but yesterday felt much better. Hoping that continues to tomorrow  and into next week as if so by next Sunday I should be on a straight 10m. Once that's done I can get back on it! 

Skinny, are you just busy or is your silence a bad sign?

Hope everyone else is OK? 
  • Afraid Covid got me, so running has come to a halt. Felt quite poorly and now in isolation with a cough.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Muddy - that's a shame just as you were getting back into it. Hopefully you feel better soon and can get back at it shortly.

DT - sounding promising, fingers crossed you are good to go by the weekend.

41 miles for me last week including a 9 mile steady run (6.36) and 25 minute tempo (6.23). Legs were feeling pretty tired towards the end of the week. Thankfully this week is a cut back.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, Muddy. Hopefully you wont be too unwell. 

Mr, some decent sessions there. I'm missing the intensity of the training based on where I should be right now. 

Still getting some good bike sessions in. Did 6 x 5 mins yesterday and still some slight tightening but getting better each time. Got 5 x 5 mins tomorrow morning then a fairly deep massage in the hope it irons things out. All being well on Thursday I'll try a continuous run. 
  • Afternoon all.

Very quite on here at the mo. 

DT - how's the recovery coming along?

Muddy - hope you're feeling better now. 

Mr V - looks like you're coming back into shape. As DT says, a few more weeks/months I reckon you'll be able to start thinking about targeting some PB's / races.  

No XC races for a few weeks, one coming up on Sunday and then the final race of the season at the end of Feb. Have had a couple of reasonable efforts at a couple of different parkruns, mainly off road and hilly, over the last couple of weeks; nothing spectacular time wise but finished in the top 3 which is always nice. 

Need to get a few longer runs in too in advance of the hilly half marathon in 6 weeks.  

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm moving along OK. Started run walking 2 weeks ago now and managed 28m last week with continuous 5m runs Saturday and Sunday.

I think another week of caution and building up and I'll be good to go. 

I've bought myself some additional time and entered the Milton Keynes mara at start of May so 4 weeks after Manchester. There's a reasonable liklihood I may use Manchester as a session, much like I would with a 20m race that far out. I can't get my place refunded and have other reasons to be in area anyway and hotel is booked. Will just see where I'm at early March. 
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Hi everyone - brief post.

My wife has been ill since just before Christmas so no running just looking after her (she's a bit better now). Ran parkrun on Saturday which was first run since Christmas Eve but not really my main concern at moment - just needed to rid myself of some of my own stress.

Manchester obviously in the bin.

Maybe I'll get a chance later in the year.

Cheers, Skinny
  • Sorry to hear that Skinny. Best wishes to you and your family. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your wife, Skinny. I hope she recovers well. All the best. 
  • You’re a good bloke Skinny. Hope Mrs Skinny gets better quickly and you get to enjoy your running again.

Covid nightmare just about over, Day 12 and feeling about 80%. Hopeful of a bit of running before the week is out.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a been a stint on the covid front, muddy. Were you quite poorly?

I did 6m this morning with 4 x 30s strides, longest run yet and probably the most comfortable. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny sorry to hear that and I hope your wife makes a swift recovery. Best wishes from me.
  • Skinny, hope everything is going ok, stay safe.
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Thanks everyone.

Anyone know when London rejection letters come out?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    All vmlm website says is February, no indication of what stage. They normally post something on social media at the start of the week they are incoming so you'll know in a few days if it's next week or not. 
  • Managed a couple of 5 milers and another parkrun last week - not great but probably stops further fitness deterioration.

If I don't get into London and can get my training back on track I'm thinking of doing the Lakes in a Day 50 in October on an it's now or never basis. 4000m of ascent so would need a pile of long brisk walks in training too.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    London say ballot results wc 21/02. 

Do you need still Harbour ambitions of a sub 3 mara, Skinny? 

Got up to 12m on Sunday so should be good now. Trying a session tomorrow. 
  • DT19 said:
    London say ballot results wc 21/02. 

Do you need still Harbour ambitions of a sub 3 mara, Skinny? 

Got up to 12m on Sunday so should be good now. Trying a session tomorrow. 
    Thanks DT.

No - I think the ship with that ambition in has sunk out at sea and will never return to harbour. I'd like to run a full marathon once in my life though!

If you can run 12 miles sounds like you're recovered - not been too long out at all - in fact I'm a few miles away from even being able to run 12 miles. Got 6 in early today.
  • @DT19 That’s sounds like you’re all healed. Hope the session goes well. Covid was very unpleasant and I had headache and tiredness like flu but also mega sore throat and mouth (blisters), cramps and severe leg pains to the extent that I couldn’t sleep, cough that just sat there for days and days and also kept me awake at night. Eventually tested negative after two weeks.  But, it’s all relative  -  it was good that I could look after myself and didn’t experience any debilitating breathlessness.

Good you’re getting back on the road Skinny. Just 2 x 5k runs for me, Sat and yesterday. Building back again very gradually and will try to get 3 more runs in this week.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Muddy - that sounds pretty grim. Good that you are now able to start up running again. Hopefully it's not too long before you are back up to full steam.

Skinny - great to see you back at it and thinking about marathons/ ultras. 

I've had a couple of low mileage weeks after a nasty cold wiped me out. Seem to have recovered now though and aiming for a fairly normal week this week. I've got a date for a minor op in 3 weeks time so that will require some downtime from running. Hopefully recovery won't take too long and I don't lose too much momentum.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Any racing plans, Mr v? 

Muddy, that does sound rough, hope you get it out of the system soon. 

Session went well. 4 x 1m off 45s walk. Didn't know what to expect but came in 5.57, 5.52, 5.54 and 6.00 for 6.16 overall pace for about 4.25. Much better than I expected particularly in a strong wind. Followed by spin this evening. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    DT - looks like a decent session there. Seems like you haven't lost too much fitness during your injury recovery.

Re races I've not got any firm plans at the moment. There were a couple of 10ks in April/ early May I was considering but with the op coming up they will probably be too soon now.

I'm also getting married in early June.  So May/ June will be pretty busy with wedding stuff, stag, honeymoon etc. I suspect in all liklihood it will be July before I get round to actually doing any races.
  • Exactly the sort of thing I wanted to know about.
  • Congratulations Mr V and good luck with the op.

Nice and speedy return to the hard stuff DT.

I got 3 runs in last week including parkrun again for a total of 19 miles. Going to try and get into the 25 - 30 zone this week with lots of short runs and see how my body feels.

3 parkruns have gone 22:29, 22:02 and 21:40 so even just doing parkrun and not much else still seems to result in me getting faster each week which is encouraging.
  • 4 runs and 17 plus miles for me last week: 3.5, 6.4, 3.5, 3.7

Also did two strength sessions -  very important after all the time off my feet.

Quarterly report is that I have had 2 blocks of 3 weeks of running over the last 12 weeks before illness interrupted things.

Aiming to get to 25-30 miles within the next three weeks, and top off with a benchmark parkrun. 19.56 to beat !