Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• That’s rotten luck Pete. You must’ve been flying to still finish sub 20!
    Very decent LRs Reg & Bus. I agree that LRs really start once you go past 2 hrs which, for us mortals at least, will be somewhere N of 13M, especially hilly/off-road.
    A multi-terrain 20M in 2:50 for me, with almost 1400’ of climb.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Good longuns form the hamstring boys, need to keep those in mint condition.

Bus that would been a classic one to add to your years of hard luck stories!

Casually even further from Jools there!

And Pete, as per off forum chats, bad news, but an unusual run of efforts over 4 days, so at least it's somewhat explainable, rather than a more worrying ping just out of the blue during easy running. I suppose that is the positive. A couple of races maybe blown, but plenty of positives beyond that when healed.

Thought I best get a few 15milers on the table, starting today.

Went surprisingly well. A 7.30 or so mile easing out, but just seemed to be in and around 7ish after that, aside from the mile with the most of the climb in, up to Beaconsfield, meddled about up there, back down to Holtspur, country lanes to some hill, down that, into Wooburn and back.

Last 4 miles seemed to gain a decent momentum from the down hill half mile and were coming out 645s and stuff without any particular upping in effort, almost like i'd gone out for a 11mile one pace and 4mile step up, but I hadn't.

Overall 6.58 pace!

Back in 2018 I did a string of 15s all in or around 7, but they were on a pretty flat route from my work office to Windsor and back.
    6.58 on this route is a decent flow.

Will take tomorrow easy to bed it in.
  • Nice long runs chaps. I just lost a couple of CRs up Mam Tor, clicked on the activity and it's some chap causally taking them as part of his 29 miler  :D Turns out he's won the UTMB though so I don't feel so bad!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at some 50k a clubmate hit "is interested in" on facebook, and I wondered if pootling it out for giggles could be a lark if the timing worked.
    Think they have an aid station every 10k which splits it up even more.

But the point (get to it!) of mentioning this is I saw it has 2 UTMB points.

I don't know much about all that, but I know all these long distance merchants always rave about it as being the ultimate.
  • Good long runs there, also decent PR Jools

PeteM -Damn! Hope you can get back on it reasonably soonish

Saturday - Nice parkrun at Newport Pagnell with the boy. 22.40 on a grassy course.

Sunday - Fred Hughes 10 was a decent run out yesterday. Hilly/undulating course, not horrific but definitely not a PB course. Chatty first few miles, keeping the pace generally 5.45 miling. Nikes straight away felt more at home over this sort of pace - especially downhill, really easy on the quads, remarkable.

Went through 5 on 28.50 ish I think..then the long hill up to mile 6 changed the mood to being a proper race. Got a little group of three together and they caught me up after the hill and we were together until about 8. Burnt them off up the last hill, leaving me slowly creeping up on the St Albans guy in front for a mile. Got past him with about 400m to go and into the finish for a solid 57.47. 13th and 3rd V40.

Pretty happy with that. PB is 54.56, but that was 10 years ago on a flat course. So by my calculations pretty much two even 5 mile halfs.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I know the organiser but still couldn’t get in - too slow!
    Perfect conditions yesterday.
    Mate of mine ran 32:54, knocking over a minute off his PB in spite of a blister which he could feel from 5K & which was bleeding through his shoe by 8K.
    Minor correction SC2: I make it 145 sub 35
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Looks like 146 Jools, as there's a sub 35 on chip in position 148 just below the 2x 35.00 deads.

Looks a good set-up, but don't think I'd like the enter and we'll let you know if you're accepted later, approach.

Can't knock a sub 58 10miler Simon, that's a good turnout.

Fancied a return to a 6mile continuous tempo again today.

6.20 first mile, then 6.14,6.14,6.13,6.11,6.06 for an unintentional progression.

Felt decent. Grassy stretch in miles 1 and 4, a few little go round the back of vehicles at junctions and those small little hazards that are part of town rampages, but all very decent.

Glad it came out nicely after the 15 Sunday.

Will pootle one later, and then have tomorrow off work, so I'll have a nice lazy start to the day, and then probably drive somewhere to do a leisurely, potentially exploratory 12.
  • SC, Jools – the Speedway does look fab. Completely flat and on this random bit of land beneath the bridge. Will have to get into their next version. Don’t really tend to see it advertised.

Great turnout at the FH10, SC. Quite like your approach of taking it mentally easier in the first half and then really switching on.

Lovely progression in that tempo, SG. Where will you drive for tomorrow’s run?

Jools you have gotten in some good 20s. I am getting a little nervous I haven’t yet done any and the race is first weekend in April. Sure it’ll be fine though.

Always enjoy the strava shape of your runs Bus (and those of PMJ) – can’t work out what they look like but they seem to tickle my fancy.

Recover well, Pete.

My daughter is now of the age where some sessions, parties etc are drop offs – chance for a run! So took the opportunity on Saturday afternoon to head out for a slow long run along the canal whilst she did gymnastics. Legs were feeling pretty cooked from the week day miles and strides on Friday, so kept it to a pleasant 8m’m pace for 13.1M Pretty tired towards the end – the first time I have felt like this.

6M recovery at 8:40s on Sunday to round off a second 70M week. Will now taper pretty hard for Sunday’s race, with the only run of note being a plan strides and 2M at race pace later today.

Frustratingly, after the gloriously wind free couple of weeks we have just had, it seems to be picking up again at the weekend. The two circuits on the road around the airport can be a pretty desolate place in the wind, so will need to try to find a group for as much as possible. It’s not a massive field so will have to see how this goes.

• Nice work SC. 

I won't bother counting the sub 35s  :D 

Decent tempo there SG, particularly early doors. Looks like someone is gearing up for a race  ;) 

I was out early this morning for a 10 miler, plan was to put in some 150m strides but my hamstring was a bit tight and it was cold. I'll put them into a lunch run instead when the body is more awake and I am not running on dreadful pavements along the A4. I am looking forward to lighter mornings to open up more routes for early runs. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think i quoted the splits slightly wrong apart...not much odds, but slightly out..

Watch has
    6.19,6.15,6.15,6.12, 6.11, 6.06 for 37.20 for 6.01m  (matching connect)

But strava has 
    6.23 (!), 6.15, 6.14, 6.13, 6.11, 6.06 for 37.22 for 6.00m

You can understand some round up/down action, but how has it logged that first mile 4seconds different?
    Don't think I've seen a difference like that before.

@PhilipMJones sounds your cup of tea this one... assume it can't be rectified?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg - I'll push the button on a couple of races later today, need a 10k or 2 in the landscape.

And you're right to be cautious, it's almost a case of maintenance for you now, don't rock the boat too much before your HM.

SQ, I might do one of the Thames/Jubilee type routes, but from Maidenhead so won't be the mud fests it'd be the Marlow end.
  • Cheers All - Yes Reg I think we have confirmed it was a fast course!

SQ - Did start out sensibly as I hadn't worn the Nikes over a longer distance and not ran that far for a while. Would be different in other circumstances.

So - Nike have bought out a racing shoe with a pebax plate and a greater connection with the ground. For 5k and 10k...sounds promising.

Nike ZOOMX Streakfly First Run: First thoughts on Nike's new 5k & 10km speedster - YouTube
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Top dollar no doubt!
    The Next felt pretty good for 5miles. Haven't even tried the Alpha yet.
  • Stevie G said:

You can understand some round up/down action, but how has it logged that first mile 4seconds different?
    Don't think I've seen a difference like that before.

@PhilipMJones sounds your cup of tea this one... assume it can't be rectified?
    Probably not. The normal thing is that Strava shows moving and not elapsed time so if you stop at a junction you can get a difference but your trace shows moving and elapsed as identical. There is some processing of tracks and e.g. my run today in Garmin is 37:35 and in Strava it is 37:23.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just a weird anomaly. Maybe I've never looked that closely for this sort of run.

I see the mileage, see the average, load it, and it's the same.
    Just today I only looked as 6.13 had become 6.14, so just presumed rounding, only to see the 4secs different mile 1.

No biggie, but hey, none of this stuff we talk is a biggie in the scheme of stuff :)
  • Stevie G said:
    Top dollar no doubt!
    The Next felt pretty good for 5miles. Haven't even tried the Alpha yet.
    ONLY! £130 ish I think. LOL
  • SC - I thought pebax was the magic foam used rather than a plate? Expensive, but they all are now. 

Reg - cold strides with a dodge hamstring sounds well avoided!

Pre race session yesterday was ok at best. 8M including 6 x 100m and then 2M at race effort. 2M at 6:23 pace. Will hope for some race day magic to knock a chunk off that.

Easy hour this morning along the canal, 8:40s. Body freshness still on order!
  • Having gone years spending virtually nothing on running, I've suddenly started 'investing' in more expensive kit. Most of my stuff was ancient, I even still have a Ronhill top I bought for the Great North Run, I think in 1999  :D. Most of my shorts either have a mangled drawstring or a broken zip on the key pocket and all of them are now a size too big. I guess this all started with the expensive shoes!

Remind me which race you're prepping for SQ?

Just a recovery run this morning but I did enter a tune up 10k, two weeks out from Wokingham. I just need to decide how to approach it, I am thinking first 5k at target HMP and then just seeing how it feels as to whether I try to wind it up or just stick at that pace or even ease off  :# 

• Staverton 10M. Not the fastest course, but very convenient. Two laps on the roads around the airport. Which 10k for you?
  • SQ - The foam is 'Zoom Foam' I think. Pebax is sort of rubber I think. Not as rigid as the carbon.

• Sorequads said:
    Staverton 10M. Not the fastest course, but very convenient. Two laps on the roads around the airport. Which 10k for you?
    Just a Dorney lake job, hopefully the 5k and HM go at the same time as otherwise it may be a bit light on quality.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    No reason you can't race a 10k 2 weeks out is there Reg? One week out might be on the tight side, but surely 2 is ok?

SC, £130 actually sounds reasonable these days! Will wait for others to proclaim them as amazing. Have 2022 sorted in my Next & Alphas for now.

SQ, thought you'd done 2miles at race pace, and then 2miles at 6.23 for a second :)
    Race day magic will always kick in, especially over road efforts.

As for me, had to fill a few days of hol in, so thought I'd split this week up a bit and get a 12 in.
    Off to Maidenhead, mile run to the Thames Path then basically a further 5miles out, and then the same back.
    Have done this route before and talking about Dorney Lake, I was surprised to see it so massively obvious on my left about 4.2miles or so in. I can only imagine the tree cover was a lot thicker last time I ran it as I don't remember seeing what is obviously a huge set up just across from the path :D 

Tried to keep it sensible pace, but even 90% offroad, post 15 Sunday and sesh yesterday, it still came out 7.15, so hopefully it's all pointing towards being in decent shape.

However, we all know you can get nasty surprises when things seem to be going well, so will do a couple of 4s tomorrow and probably slow those down a bit, and then aim to do some 1k reps Friday at either 10k pace or effort...maybe just on the road.
  • I Bought My Mum A Pair Of £270 Nike Alphaflys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVTU2B417vo

No comment needed.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Almost 2mins quicker over 2.65km?
    Although clearly she has a lot of time to eat into, there's no guarantee it was equal effort, and this is a comparison of clunky shoes v Alphas, not racers v Alphas.

Would need to see a comparative effort test of the 3 for a "proper" test I suppose.
  • Stevie G said:
    Almost 2mins quicker over 2.65km?

Well worth it I'd say: that is 4 minutes over 5k and that gets my historic 5k time down to something close to world record pace. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    It's like weight isn't it...if you have a tonne load of excess, you can whip loads off.
    If you're fairly skimped down, any gainz are going to be a lot harder to get.

I do like those Next though, from my few run outs in them. Like them more than the original 4%s.
    Will have to try the Alphas before attempting to race in them though.
  • If they knock 9-10% off your 5K that’s insane gains.
    Don’t forget she’d run the first lap in normal trainers & normally walks large chunks of the 2nd lap when doing parkrun. On the other hand she definitely walked on lap 1 this time so might need to check out her parkrun times in the coming weeks.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    The walk is a good point, if there was no walk on lap 2 straight away that's not a like for like test.
    And in a normal parkrun it's continuous. I don't think this gave an idea of the gap in between laps? (i did skip watch though).
    The first lap might even have served as a warm up, so she was ready and cracking for the 2nd one too, with the placebo effect already in her head too.

If it was really 10% off, I'd be getting them on this weekend and expecting to take 1min 47 or so off my recent sub 18 :)

But I go back to my other points about racers. We'd all expect to go quicker in standard racers versus normal shoes anyway. 

A guy called Tim Grose does comparison videos. The PO10/RB stats guy. He does a few youtube videos, talking relative HR levels and factoring in the goes 2nd/3rd etc.

• Have you got a link for those SG?
    Looks like she might’ve shaved a hefty chunk off already https://www.parkrun.org.uk/parkrunner/490084/all/