Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, thanks.  I suppose it will be even easier for Seville with the reduced need for testing on return (Seville is on 20th Feb).  Still no news from them though.  I did see a note on their facebook that they are not responding to messages regarding the waiting list, and they are just following their process of working throuh the list, so I suppose they will get to me at some point (or not).  Flight prices are creeping up though.

12 miles today, and there was a cold wind out there.  Got it done though.  Not the most inspiring of routes as I covered much of it at least twice, but the Torquay road closure has cut off a lot of my routes, and the diversion still isn't safe.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - definitely before my running days, wouldn't have the energy to do both.

Big G - well at least you know Seville are not just ignoring your email, so you just have to sit it out.   Frustrating though.

How long will the road closure be for?

Pilates was challenging but good, working on back strength today which means strong hamstring stretches before we get to the back stuff.   Did leg session then in the gym, my legs feel trashed now

I won't be at Pilates next week (haircut) but then we will be doing 2 weeks with that bloody foam roller again  :'(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it’s until mid-March. I have zero idea how these things work although I was hoping that they may introduce a footbridge for pedestrians, but I’ve no clue if that idea is actually possible/practical/safe. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's quite a while.  Surely they must be having complaints about safe access/route for pedestrians.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I imagine there will have been complaints, even if mainly from the houses on the diversion road, as there is a lot more traffic along there now, on a road that isn't suitable for it.  I follow a few of the Torbay Triers on Strava and they are complaining about having to divert their runs over to the crap part of Torbay known as Brixham.  (I was born in Brixham... ;) ).  I would do that but early in the morning it isn't safe on the back road, and I can't imagine the main road is much fun with the traffic; there is a pavement but it would be noisy, and at one point the pavement runs out and you have to cross the busy road if you want to continue.  I could go out a bit later and then the back road would be safer, but I do prefer getting it done in the morning if I can.  I was over at Dad's at 10am today and I could have done a run from his place in Brixham, which I did consider, but again I just got up and got it done from my house instead.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I can't imagine the main road to Brixham being a pleasant or safe run at all.   I think I've run the back road , Brixham 10k many years ago?, but you'd want a quiet very early morning to run that safely.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I am really impressed with the miles you do with having young kids,I couldn't have done it when mine were that age.
    Rob-I'm thinking about Madeira next year,from what I could see its 4 times out and back along the main road,then down to the front and another few out and backs.
    I ran 7 miles yesterday,leg is still playing up so I've dug the bike out as I'm determined to get in to shape by Boston,plan is every day to do some type of exercise,either bike or run.I managed to do 40 mins today before the legs got a bit tired as I haven't been on it for nearly a year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - despite the multiple out and backs at Madeira marathon it still gets good reviews and would fit in with your usual January holiday in the sun.  B)  Of course, you can get a bit of hill training done when you're there too.   ;)

That's frustrating about your leg injury, might be worth getting a diagnosis for your speediest recovery?

Rest day for me today.
  • Ian - I only manage it because I don’t have a life basically. I work, hang out with the girls and run and that’s about it. Can’t remember the last time I sat down and watched anything on tv that wasn’t Peppa Pig for instance. Also helps that OH doesn’t work. Fingers crossed this leg issue sorts itself soon. You’ve also not been lucky with injuries. 

Shades - Enjoy the rest day

Saw physio last night who still thinks the bursa issue is nothing to worry about and is happy for me to crack on building mileage which is nice. He also said it was ok to start yoga again which is convenient as the lady who teaches OH and I is now back doing live classes and I couldn’t be bothered with the video stuff. Probably the last I’ll see the physio for a while unless there’s a flare up I think as we struggled to fill the time slot.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's great news from the physio.   It's not often a physio struggles to fill the consultation time.
  • Ian, I hope you get on top of it soon, it must be frustrating as hell.
    That's good news, Rcouture. (Although not so much about having to watch Peppa Pig).

I did a gym day yesterday - the elliptical is still broken but they've added a spin bike so I did 20 minutes on that before doing a few leg exercises and deadlifts. 

I did 10 miles this morning - no real issues. Quite enjoyed running today despite it being grey with no sunrise to speak of.
  • Cal - nice 10 miles, I don't mind grey and drab better than freezing or rain

Rcouture - good news from the physio, I don't think I'd do yoga videos, I've only done a few classes before I fell over a few years ago and I was bad then.

Ian - my pal also said some great trails in Madeira too, s shades said good hill work, wish I enjoyed cycling as be a great x train without the impact, main thing is to keep yourself fit as possible (obvs apart from ensuring the injury isn't anything concerning).

Shades/ Big G seems many road closures about at the moment.

Managed to get my uni assignment finished yesterday, just the 2 weeks late and now 3 weeks behind the course.  Got out this morning for 7 miles, footpaths closed, roads closed and then got stuck trying to get round the street cleaner truck on a single track road.  keep seeing news reports about snow on its way, hope it stays clear of here.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good news on the physio coming to an end RCouture, but sorry to hear of your injury Ian :(

Cal, it was grey here too!

Robert, well done for getting the assignment done.  I hope you are going to be able to catch up okay.

I went on Zwift for a very easy hour yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it a lot, just riding in a group all taking it steady.

11 miles this morning.  I went out a bit later when it was light, so it meant I could get a loop in on my local trail to do a different run (not possible in the dark).  It was the one I fell on last January (25th Jan, I just checked), and that fall is still playing on my mind at times, but I got around it okay today with no sun to dazzle me!  It was an enjoyable run but the pace was slower at MAF on the flatter bits today, for some reason.
  • Big G - The fall last year will knock your confidence, my saving grace it my my own stupidity on a flat stretch that caused mine but still need to be careful.

All this talk of grey weather the sun has come out here, stuck at my desk working till 6pm, least the cats are happy outside today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Everything was fine on the run, but top of right foot near ankle feels sore when I walk now.  No specific idea what has caused that, but it almost feels like the laces were too tight (way too tight as it is quite sore, which wasn't the case).  I was just saying to OH yesterday that I was feeling good with no niggles as well! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - glad you've got your mojo back and had an enjoyable run.

Robert - well done completing your assignment, takes a lot of motivation to knuckle down to studying in your own time.

No snow forecast down here, in fact one of the local news websites made a point of saying that national press were scaremongering about snow/bad weather as it makes good headlines.  Hope the local lot are right. 😮

No sun here.

Big G - you've had this niggle before, haven't you?   It could easily be from too tight laces and the foot swells it bit after the run.   Ice and tape it and should be OK for your race tomorrow.  

You can't get injured now 😩

• Rob, FYI...was thinking about doing Barclay parkrun this weekend - I know that's not too far from you if you fancy joining me.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I do not want an injury now!  I went for a walk around town earlier and it seems to have eased.

Had an annoying email from the airline regarding my flights to Manchester :( 
    Following a review of our route network for 2022, we have made the difficult decision to withdraw our services between Exeter and Manchester from 10 February and regrettably your flight to Manchester has been cancelled.
  • Rob - We’ve got 12 degrees forecast here for tomorrow 

Big G - Good luck for tomorrow 

Cal - Nice 10 miles

Just under 5 miles for me around the common. Nice run with no walks. Bursa a bit sore post run. Plan is to run 5 miles into work tomorrow which would be my first 3 in a row which I’m a bit nervous about. 
  • Cal - I'm doing set up at Westmill on Saturday, I'm not a huge fan of the course they have several routes but seem to be laps.  Talking about late nights and past lives the cricket club next door is home my drunken debauchery back in the day.  I used to have keys and would open up after the pubs closed or even worse clubs! (parkrun meet there in the summer so always nice to go back and say hello).

I was thinking the other day need to consider JF again! Let me know when you're thinking about it and an arrange. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It seems to be achilles related I think,problem with physio is it's really hard to describe what it is,and I've found they tend to give me exercises and just massage for 20 mins,I'm doing that myself daily so will see how it goes.
    Big G-Bad news on the flight,not sure of my geography but I know easyjet are starting the Newquay route up again in April, is that any good for you?
    Seen on the weather they said snow is forecast to hit the north west next week,we don't usually get it much though so will see how it goes.
    Just over 7 again today,went a different route but came out the same distance, leg stayed the same throughout,I remember when my left achilles first went the physio said I'm OK to run as long as the pain stays at no more than 2/10 and doesn't get worse as you run so I'm using that as my motto.Thinking if I can run 30mpw and cycle for 2-3 hours that will get me to an ok level of fitness,I feel really unfit at the minute,a combination of extra weight and lack of miles.
  • Yeah, Barclay's winter course is four laps, apparently, but all on hard path, which makes it somewhat tempting at the moment. I've not done a parkrun in road shoes since Christmas! 
    On that note, happy to do Jersey Farm any time it's convenient for you, although I've got Swanley pencilled in for the 5th. Might be worth waiting until drier weather in Spring for JF as it can apparently get very wet and muddy. As you know, I'm not a fan of running in mud - my trail shoes are only light trail so not really up to the task. But I won't turn down a visit at any time. (Also keen to come and do Panshanger at some point, though no rush on that one).
  • Big G...arse! Can you get the Cross Country train from somewhere?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - oh no, that's so annoying about your flight.   Thought those days were over.   Can you get a lift with one of the Trotters?

I can't even get a flight to Cork at the moment, hoping Aer Lingus reinstate the Bristol route otherwise it'll be Heathrow.

Better news on the foot though.

Rcouture - hope your 3 consecutive days goes well.

Robert - ooh lock ins used to go to loads.   At the club I worked at the police would knock on the door at 4 in the morning and we'd say it was one of the staff's birthday.  

Ian - tendonitis perhaps, well at least you know how to treat that.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, trouble with Newquay is that it is in the wrong direction, and that always seems odd for me when starting a journey (i.e, driving about 2hrs in the wrong direction to get to the airport).

Cal, yes, I will have a look at trains.  I have caught the train to Manchester in the past, but it is quite a long journey.

Shades, I have just messaged someone I know who is going up with two others asking him how they are getting there :)  I was going to go Fri-Mon to make a bit of a weekend of it, which would be my preference, and am not sure of their plans.  I could just drive I suppose. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - hope you get the transport sorted, would be nice to go up with fellow club members if the timings suit you and you don't mind car sharing for a long drive.

8 miles this morning, chilly wind.   Can really start to see the difference now with the slightly earlier daylight.  I don't think anyone down here is working from home now, judging by the volume of traffic though.

Stretch class followed by gym this morning.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there are 4 going up in a car. I’ve politely asked what sized car as I’m a big chap and don’t want us all to be crammed in!

I was going to do a short run this morning before tonight’s event, but opted for a short, easy Zwift ride instead just to turn the legs over a bit. I’ve even been messing around with my watch - it’s a night race so I’ve changed the screen settings so it’ll always be on this evening. Also changed it to kms rather than miles. I know it makes no difference to the pace I actually want to run but I often wish I have it in kms for 5 and 10ks when there are splits I hope to hit. 
  • Big G - I have my watch on km during races as makes me feel like I’m ticking things over faster!

Woke up with either very mild or phantom soreness around the knee so scrapping run today and will go tomorrow. 

I’d forgotten I had a 5k last weekend so didn’t move it and I have a couple of halves in February. I don’t want to race until I get back to par fitness wise so may just postpone those now so I don’t have them looming/tempting. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - ask them to use the Bentley  ;) 

You're right to ask about the car though, I'm not tall and I find many 'family' sized cars too cramped if I have to sit in the back.   You don't want to risk cramped legs or a niggly back to spoil your race.

Rcouture - hope that is phantom soreness, but wise to rest today.   A pity if you have to miss your February races, maybe just defer the earliest one for now
  • Shades - Yeah I know myself and would be constantly thinking about the races and potentially making bad decisions on mileage. 
    Separately what’s been your experience of others you’ve seen deal with ITB? Most of what I’ve seen suggests it’s a problem early in one’s running that gets fixed with strength work within a couple of months and doesn’t come back. Seems a bit more chronic for me in that I first had this 2 years ago.