Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Here's one, featuring the Next and a few others. 

https://youtu.be/mGuC50DSp-U

The parkrun lady record is hard to analyse. Previous parkrun was about 18months back. She's been within 1min of the recent time at Cov before, albeit 2018 and been 6mins quicker elsewhere  albeit 2013.

Need her really to do 2 consecutive weeks at the same parkrun,with identical conditions,  identical effort and build up, in 2 different pairs of shoes 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Run off-road and put the savings on shoes into your pension 😆  My most recent shoes were £54 😁

Seems like if I ever race again though, I'll need to buy some of these super shoes or look like the ageing 80s throwback in a string vest, skimpy shorts and headband that I used to laugh at a few years back! I would expect all my times to be PBs though 😆

• Still trying to flog my Adios on Facebook marketplace - Strava should have a marketplace thing.

Still need some racers, now that the Vapourfly suit me better over longer distances. Hmm..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Worried about how long ago your last proper road race was Bus! You're quoting figures that were tight wad figures a decade ago  :p 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Freezing cold today, but had a decent whirl around town with 7x1km off 90secs.
    10k type zone.

First rep had some on grass, 3.33, then the second one 3.32

But after that had clearly warmed up, for 3.30,3.27,3.31,3.30,3.30.

Having the watch set for kms, it was surprising how quick the km counted down, so a decent in and out without overdoing it, and all very nice, without having to go to the track to do it.
  • Stevie G said:
    Worried about how long ago your last proper road race was Bus! You're quoting figures that were tight wad figures a decade ago  :p 
    I'd disagree. For regular running shoes, you can still pick up decent branded shoes in the £50 to £60 bracket. I just got a couple of pairs of Salomon trail shoes, list price £85, in the sale for £55 each and got an extra 5% off the sale price as I used a newly made-up email address so I appeared to be a new client: £52.25 each. 

If you want this year's model and this year's colour and a specific make then you may have to dig deep but decent trainers can still be had at a reasonable price if you are happy with what others don't want and there is nothing fundamentally wrong with that: I had a lot of bright orange trainers last year and this year they are blue and lime green. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I was the only one tight wadded enough to do the alias email for 5% :D 

I dare say there must be a cheaper version of my mileage shoe, the Mizuno Wave Rider, but I must have used them about 10-15 years now, and they've always felt good.

Usually get them for a decent price. Did a bit of a shocking deal last time out which is a story for the flesh not the forum, but generally get them at the right time price wise :)
  • Ran my London Marathon in Wave Riders. Too heavy really, but were OK.

Had to laugh - I saw a notification email about the Nike Zoom streak at 08.17 - checked the site at 12.00 and they are all sold out. Probably wouldn't have bought any anyway.

So Southerns tomorrow - 4 laps (seen the courses). And the other direction to usual too. 14 degrees too apparently. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Wokingham Half, Feb 2020 - in 5 year old Asics DS Racers that cost me £50 :smiley: (same shoes I did my 5k pb in)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Legs were a bit sluggish yesterday - not surprising as I'd done 50 miles and 5,900ft in 6 days, which is the most running I've packed into less than a week for a very long time!  Day off today, before LSR tomorrow, with the aim of 13.1M+ to get a "proper" 50M week, for the first time for nearly a year. 

Might try some speedwork next week and see if the hamstring holds up - fingers crossed!

Good luck in the Southerns tomorrow Simon!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think I had some DS Racers, and potentially some DS Trainers at one stage too.

Vague memories of yonks back of that running shop round the corner from Old Scotland Yard, might have been a Run and Become or something, and leaving with 3 random pairs one day...saw me coming|!

Sounds promising on the week's basket, as long as you don't mix too much of distance, pace and elevation in one fell swoop :)

Couple of weeks feeling decent with speedwork then the prospect of racing can be entertained again :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yep, I fancy the Feb LFOTM if things hold up. 
  • Nice one Bus, good mileage.

When I first appeared on this thread I had never owned a pair of racing shoes and I just ran in the same everyday shoes (Asics GT-1000 or similar), I bought some DS Racers in early 2015 for Wokingham and I ran pretty much every race in them up  to May 2019 when I first used the VP 4% and I haven't raced on the roads since amazingly, so that's nearly 3 years now.

I actually miscalculated the timing of my 10k tune up race and it's 3 weeks out from Wokingham so I can probably be a bit more ambitious but still don't expect to go flat out for fear of injury. So next week will break a bit of a dry spell all being well.

I have a final long run for tomorrow which would also get me to 50 for the week and then I'll probably stick to <40.
  • Oh dear, back to back posts.

15.8m today, or it might have been slightly less as my GPS had a rare moment of madness sending me briefly into a neighbouring field. I ran the new Wokey course from my house so just over a mile extra either side. Tried to do a progression of sorts but it was cold so once I hit about 160 bpm, that was pretty much my rev limiter. Still I was pleased with the pace off that effort and averaged 6:21 pace for the run and I guess about 1:22:xx for the half bit. I reckon the course is slightly more uphill than before as it rises as you head into town, having turned left instead of right out of Cantley Park. The bit where you go through town will be nice but brief and there's then a downhill run as you loop around and rejoin the old course at the back entrance to the Park, which will now be where you head into the park to the finish.

I ran from my house though so I ran the last 5 miles or so first and the first bit after that. It measures 12.9 ish so the extras is where you start in the fields of Cantley so potentially some on-grass stuff to make it up to 13.1 and the path into Cantley at the end is partly mud/gravel and then some of that spongy playground style pathwork before, according to the map, you go behind the changing room block (takes me back to my footy days) and finish on the fields. Will be interesting to see how that works as access seems narrow with a big hockey pitch now in the way but no doubt they've thought it through.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking morale booster long run that Rey. 

Not so good for me today. All ok, if a little heavy legged, but then a nigglely pain on the outside of my right knee began and slowly got worse. Typically, this route had no short cut home, so I pushed on, stopping to try and stretch it out a couple of times. To no avail- at ten miles I had to abandon for fear of making it much worse. Unfortunately this meant a fairly lengthy, very cold and painful hobble home. 

I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s nothing serious! Possibly a result of a short but tough MTB ride for the first time in a while yesterday on top of fatigued legs. 

Hey ho - didn’t quite make that 50M week!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Nice one Rey - your hamstring can't be made entirely out of twig to get that off!

Bus, was feeling oh no, what's happened here, then you mention throwing the MTB in!! You gotta keep yourself in cotton wool old son!

I've only had a couple of those walks home before, and luckily only very close or about a 1mile from work. Not good at all.
    Hopefully just some sort of odd reaction to yesterday that disappears, without any more of said activity :)

15.5m for me today to finish a 69 mile week.

Just did an out and back to Marlow basically, with the "back" part featuring those steps about 2.5miles into the Marlow 5, over onto the little woody bit that takes you behind the Marlow track.

Last 6 or 7 just seemed to come out around 6.45 sort of mixer for a just under 7 (6.59) average.
    Not conversational pace by any means, but not busting any sort of juice.

I say that, but will probably go and race a HM at 6.45 now :D 

Some pooch sprinted at me at about 14.8m which gave rise to an unwelcome little half stop/shuffle that I could have done without on that many miles in the legs, but essentially all good.
  • Fingers crossed as per Strava Bus.

Nice long one SG. Hammy is a bit sore after today to be honest but its not your classic hamstring issue as it's a tendonopathy high up where it inserts in the bone so a slow healer but one I can potentially manage. The physio suggested three months to clear up.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Ah, well hope that behaves, at least for a month, then you can deal with it :)

I remember years ago I used to have a bit of tightness top hamstring and it'd ease as things warmed up. Had the slightest feel there today, oddly only for about 20seconds mid run. Must have been some strange reaction to the short change in running from 8miles pretty flat on pavements and road, to suddenly trudging up and down some metal steps then a short spell on muddy stuff.

Either way I'll make sure tomorrow's runs are a step easier, as that's not only my biggest week for well over a year, but it had 2 sessions, a 12 and my longest long run in years.
  • Good LRs Reg & SG. Fingers crossed for you Bus.
    Hope the Southerns went well Simon.
    Busy weekend for me so just the 4.5M recovery first thing Friday.
    Local hilly, trail parkrun Saturday with my daughter.
    PB’s all round 19:50 for me & 1st unassisted runner 😎 , but beaten by half a dozen speedy Cani-X pairings 😒. Single lap with 70m of climb in the first 2.8K then a speedy DH for 2K before a little kick up to the finish. 3:54/4:20/4:14/3:40/3:41
    Barcode scanned in seconds & straight back out along the course to meet daughter who smashed her 5K PB by 44s & course PB by 52s. 4 weeks on the trot & she’s PB’d every time.
    Bacon & sausage bap before heading out on a 16.8M tandem ride with 1,000’ of climb in the afternoon. 
    Classic race-prep taken from the Jooligan racing manual 🤣
    Also managed just 3hrs kip in spite of going to sleep before midnight, but no hangover as I’d abstained from booze.
     Staverton 10M
    1K out & back along a service road in the airfield before two 7.5K laps on the public roads which circumnavigate the airfield including about 600m of farm track: concrete climb then a couple hundred metres of uneven stony dirt before passing through an underpass & repeat. Total elevation: 85m 
    Arrived at 8:10. Car park busy but hassle free, number & chip collected, pleasantries exchanged, toilet visit done then back to the car.
    Pin the number on, attach chip to race shoes: Takumi Sen 5.
    Into the Bostons for a 2K wu.
    Not feeling massively confident as not raced anything between 10K & 26.2 since March 2019. Thursday’s 2x1M efforts had been 6:52/6:31 which felt unsustainable but legs feeling surprisingly ok. 
    Perfect day for racing & spectating: sunny but cool & barely a breath of wind. Figure race day magic gives me a reasonable chance of getting sub 67 at least.
    Line up at the start with SQ. We exchange goals & best wishes during the race briefing then we’re off.
    Only 200 odd runners so the field thins out fairly swiftly & by the time we leave the airfield I’m leading a small group around 6:30 pace. One guy eases past & away around 3M in. Slight slowing over a railway bridge to Mile 4 & 3 more pass me. Mile 5 undulates & includes the rough farm track which breaks my cadence. I also slow marginally to collect fuel from OH. 5M in 32:40 & I’ve just got one guy for company now, however he’s tiring & as we leave the airfield on lap 2 I gap him & never hear him again. I’m then on my own for the next 3M when I see one guy coming back to me. Pass him on a DH just before 9M & realise I’m very gradually catching the 2 in front however I run out of road. OH is there on a bike to cheer me on with 600m to go. After 300m we leave the service road & head uphill to the finish. I can see 1:05:40 as I approach the timing mat. Run through the line for 65:44 which is only a minute away from my PB & my highest age grading (76.2%) for the distance. 
    36th overall (of 201) & 6th MV50 (of 32).
    Winner came through in 50:19, 2nd place was 53:56 & 3rd in 54:39.
    1st MV50 finished in 63:05.
    2.2M cool down cheering home clubmates then a quick race debrief with SQ. 
    A great weekend catching up with local runners & clubmates many of whom I’ve not seen since well before CoViD. Life feeling more normal at last.
  • The Bus said:
    Cracking morale booster long run that Rey. 

Not so good for me today. All ok, if a little heavy legged, but then a nigglely pain on the outside of my right knee began and slowly got worse. Typically, this route had no short cut home, so I pushed on, stopping to try and stretch it out a couple of times. To no avail- at ten miles I had to abandon for fear of making it much worse. Unfortunately this meant a fairly lengthy, very cold and painful hobble home. 

I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s nothing serious! Possibly a result of a short but tough MTB ride for the first time in a while yesterday on top of fatigued legs. 

Hey ho - didn’t quite make that 50M week!

Bit of a bummer there bus. My injuries have the decency to make themselves know pretty quickly into a run so the hobble back is seldom more than a few hundred metres. As an old runner who gets "niggles" and runs through them then the trick is to spot the real injuries and act accordingly. If you have a real injury then you need to address it properly else it will just bounce along and re-occur.

Stevie G said:
    Nice one Rey - your hamstring can't be made entirely out of twig to get that off!

Just did an out and back to Marlow basically, with the "back" part featuring those steps about 2.5miles into the Marlow 5, over onto the little woody bit that takes you behind the Marlow track.

Since when did Reg switch to Rey? I am sure we have all lined up in Cantley Park at the start of the half behind someone who hasn't a clue what the "sub 90 pen" is about but if the start and finish are going to be pushed more into the park that is not good.

I always read SG's description of a run and then have to go to Strava to understand what he is on about. When you say "those steps" do you mean this bridge?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I wondered if anyone would notice my purposeful typo, after Bus's actual typo on Rey :D 

Decent guess Phil, bearing in mind the only clues I'd given were  it being around 2.5miles into the Marlow 5m route and talking about steps up and down ;)

The guy who used to line up on the front row alongside the sub 1hr 10 guys, in a heavy hi vis top went down into Wokey folk lore. It took a few years to realise that if you're getting overtaken by 500 people in the first 600m, you're probably in the wrong place.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools - madness of Thursday reps and Sat parkrun in the days before a 10mile race aside, I thought I must be going crazy when you said you haven't raced anything between 10k and marathon in almost 3 years!?

Everything has literally been 5k or <10k xc stuff then!?
  • Probably time to post an update which nowadays, I guess, should be called a blog.

So, last July my knee started hurting and I had to abandon a run and had a few months without any running at all. I started to run a bit back in October and managed 30, 50 and 70 miles in the last 3 months of 2021 and started 2022 with about 110 miles. My "normal" mileage is about 170 as I am normally just over 2,000 miles a year. The big difference is just the maximum length: I'm back to running about the same number of times a week but my typical weekend would be 8 miles for parkrun (including there and back) and a Sunday of about 12 or more for 20 over the weekend and recently just a 5k parkrun and a short Sunday run to make about 10 miles so coming up about 10 miles shorter over those two days.

The pace is slowly coming back: I'd gotten up to 165 pounds but back to 160 but that is still at least 10 more than "ticking over" weight and race weight is 147 or less.  

Saturday parkrun was 23:52 so my first "sub 24" since coming back and a good set of splits, 7:59, 7:57 and 7:32 but still way off what I'd like to do. I just looked back and the last time SG and I had a run together was Christmas Eve two years ago and there was a 5k split in an undulating 13 miler that was as fast as that. 

I know I bang on about WAVA but that was 65% and I occasionally hit 80% so still a margin. Next goal sub 23 so the best part of a minute to come off that, but that seems a lot more accessible than a few weeks ago when I was targeting 25.
  • Odd result at Wycombe Rye parkrun on Saturday

First was this guy in https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=58320 in 16:39 and next was a regular in 19:20, best part of 3 minutes behind. 

No clue why he did a solo fast one, he seems to be a regular XC guy and yesterday was Souherns.
  • SG: I've 'raced' 7 marathons & a half IronMan since March 2019 but everything else was parkrun or c.10K on roads/XC/trails & fells
    2x1M in a 5 miler 3 days out isn't exactly caning it either.
  • Jools - standard weekend then? Good result in the 10m! Parkrun sounded good too.

SG - Loved the DS Trainer. Wish I had worn them in London marathon in 2004.

Bus - Bugger about yet another injury!! Hope it calms down

PMJ - Hopeful that the comeback is on now...sounds promising.

Southerns was ok on Saturday - I got down there about 1.30pm, I let the other two go early. Ollie got a bit left behind in the U13 Boys, but enjoyed it. He's still the youngest in that age group.

Nice warm up watching the missus drag her dodgy knees about the 8k.

Our course was a small lap and 4 large laps of Beckenham Pk. It was just on one side of the park and round the other way to the way I have always run around the park previously. One hill that went on for about 30-40 secs, but undulating apart from that but very dry

Obviously the field went off fast and I tried to settle in on the first lap - tried to see how far it was and whether it would be the whole 9 miles...after the second lap I realised it was going to be the full distance ;)

On lap 3 I felt like I was moving through and gaining on my HHH mate Jeff who usually beats me and got past him at the start of lap 4. But he caught me up at the hill and moved away. Came down the hill, along and around back in to the wind and onto the long finish straight..really tired by then and lost a few places to come in 125th from 685. Felt like I had ran pretty well. 5.57 miling for the 9.2 miles, shows how dry it was. Winner came in on 47.41...I was only 7 minutes slower!!

Managed about 10 yesterday, feet weren't too red raw gladly....
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments guys.  Short, but hilly, walk today and no lasting effects of note, so hopefully short lived - we'll see! Tomorrow was a planned reps session with a guy at work, but that would be a bad idea.

Sounds bloody quick to me that Simon and shows the quality of the field!

Jools - you are doing nothing to make me re-appraise my opinion that you are bonkers 🤣 Strong ten miler though, given the preparation!

Philip - looks like things are starting to come back together - fingers crossed!

Big week SG - always nice to finish the week with a 69 if you can 😆

Rey!!! That's what comes of fat fingers on small phone!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I quite like Rey, it sounds cool. Exotic.

Sounds much betterings there Bus. Running is bonkers for things that can feel an absolute breakdown one day, that are alright very quickly - hopefully one of those.

I love the teaser from Jools to the audience about nothing 10k to marathon, implying it's all been short stuff, and then there's been tonnes ABOVE a marathon. Cracked me up :D 

4 lap xc, miles away, to come 125th, you gots to love it haven't you SC!! And then imagine where most of us lot would be in the field instead!!

Our 12 stage build up is beginning in earnest at the club. If everyone is fit and available it could be a really tight battle to get in.
    As the national relays is probably the biggest racing perk of being at the club, missing out would probably forward the vague thoughts of it being time to "come home" to a more gentle, but local club.
  • Stevie G said:
    I quite like Rey, it sounds cool. Exotic.

Our 12 stage build up is beginning in earnest at the club. If everyone is fit and available it could be a really tight battle to get in.
    As the national relays is probably the biggest racing perk of being at the club, missing out would probably forward the vague thoughts of it being time to "come home" to a more gentle, but local club.
    Remember that Reg' nickname is an anagram of this real name, then Reg to Rey means changing his surname quite drastically. 

I find it hard to place you outside the top 12 on race day. There will always be some injuries, some no shows and a collection of the usual excuses "I'm in marathon training and can't possibly race a 4k leg". In fact, I find it hard to place you outside the top 12 on paper assuming all the fast ones turn up. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    We had an injection of 3 newbies for the XC season. One a young star runner in the making, who probably should be at an AC in fairness, and 2 other solid at XC guys. May or may not translate as well to road.
    Throw in one returning strong runner, and one newbie signed up from a local club, having done a lowish 17 5k recently, and that's certainly enough to push it from borderline long leg / short leg, to borderline just about in the 12 / outside the team.

Do at least have a strong 5miler banked from November, so if 12 can beat that / post a better equivalent time, then you have to hold your hat up sometimes.